For your reading pleasure, a funny cruisecritic review

Also, the kids use a "secret passageway" to get between the club and lab on the Magic and Wonder. Have not seen the Dream but why not use the same thing there? ;) They don't ever leave the confines of the club when they do this because one end is in the lab and the other is in the club. They cannot leave the supervision without checking in/out with the CM at the desk.

It is the same thing, an interior passageway. The kids never leave the club when going between the Club and Lab, and there are CMs posted at the entrance on both sides. It's not really a hallway on the Dream, it's a room where they do the cooking and science experiments. One exit goes to the Lab and one to the Club. To go between the Club and the Lab you pass through that room.

I don't see anything really wrong with the review posted--it i how the reviewer felt and it does not seem like a totally unfair assessment of a situation r unrealistic expectations--it i just not what THAT person likes.

I have to say I am relieved that my kids have already aged out of the club and lab a the current 3-10 all together thing sounds like a terrible set up to me. That said, we have never had an issue with feeling the club/lab/etc were unsafe at all. DD14 never liked the kids' programming on Disney (and she was 2 on our first DCL cruise), but DS12 loved it up until the last couple of cruises (the tween programming is not really appealing to him). ome kid have the "right" personality for the DCL programming and some just don't.

As far as the food goes--well, I love those chicken fingers but I know they are terrible for you:lmao: Otherwise, the buffest on DCL are terrible IMO but the sit down meals are pretty good and the service and atmosphere are fantastic. I would say food quality is about what I expect from a cruiseline and on par with Princess or Carnival. RCI's food was much worse and Celebrity's faaaaar better.

What makes DCL so great for us is the staff and entertainment. The cruise staffs on DCL are always more energetic and more enthusiastic than on any other line. The parties and activities are so much fun and so well done--head and shoulders over any other line we have sailed and the stage show are also top notch and much better than on other lines.

I have to agree with this one. On other cruise lines, there is much more live music on board -- live musicians at the stage shows, live bands at the sail away and daily at the pool. Plus, multiple venues offering live music in the evenings.

Over the years, DCL has cut back on their live music offerings: no more dueling pianos, no more steel drum band, and no more live music at the sailaway. That's sad.

Woody
This is absolutely something we miss. It is really too bad Disney has dropped more and more music over the years. I would love to see it come back.

Wow, they insulted the chicken fingers. I love those things. They are my guilty pleasure when I cruise DCL. However, I do agree about the kids clubs, my kids thought they were incredibly lame and never had any desire to go back after the first day.

Okay, I have to speak up.

I honestly don't get why people are so madly in love with the chicken fingers on DCL. I think they're good, but nowhere near great. They are one of the most solid items on on quick-food menu on DCL, but compared to chicken fingers available on land, they are lacking. Are they better than places like Zaxby's or Chik-fil-a or someplace like O'Charlies? I don't think so. Honestly, I think they are more on par with what you'd find at a Wendy's or McDonalds.

Doesn't mean they're bad, but they're not all that. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say they are a solid 5. Maybe 5.5, but I'd go no higher than that. :confused3

I know and all that unhealthy fresh cut fruit that they hide right at the beginning of the buffet. Yuck. (I dream about the fresh pineapple!)

Me too! I love all of the fruit you can get --especially the pineapple! I live in Maine so I'm not getting pineapple that fresh anytime during the year up here!

To each their own. My kids loved the club but my 4 yr old did get a little bored with it. I personally loved the chicken fingers!!

"...gross chicken fingers. Yuck! "

What???????????? :eek::scared1::confused3

I dream about those chicken fingers :rolleyes: :lovestruc :love: and I'm not even a huge chicken lover :rolleyes1

:lmao:

Oh my, that poor unfortunate soul just insulted chicken fingers. I think my hubby just died a little some where inside. :laughing:

But hey, if DCL ain't your cup o' tea, I'm alright with that. More room for the rest of us!

Wow, they insulted the chicken fingers. I love those things. They are my guilty pleasure when I cruise DCL. However, I do agree about the kids clubs, my kids thought they were incredibly lame and never had any desire to go back after the first day.

Ok, now I've got to try the chicken fingers! You people are making me hungry!!! :laughing:

I am very grateful for the chicken fingers on the ships as otherwise we would not have been able to go on many cruises. That is all DS eats on the ship after breakfast...though he did start adding pizza to his list a couple cruises ago. LOL!

I don't see how this would work. Let's say you tell CM A that you don't want Billy to go to the Lab. CM B comes on to her shift. CM A might tell CM B that Billy isn't supposed to go to the Lab, but how are they going to remember when Sally has diabetes and isn't supposed to bake cookies and Michael isn't supposed to go to the Club and Ashley can't be near any characters because it freaks her out and her parents don't want her in the Club, but instead would like her to go to the Lab, whenever characters are in there. So, Billy asks to go to the Lab. Do the CMs carry a clipboard with ALL of the various parents' requests written on it at all times?! And if so, how reliable is it that CM A wrote it on the note so that CM B knows?

I have a hard time believing that if Billy asked to go to the Lab, that that request would 100% absolutely be honored. :cool:

I can assure you that it worked for us.. he never left the kids club w/out me getting a page when he left, where he was going and when he came back.. not sure how they all managed it.. but they did.. :thumbsup2

The chicken strips are amazing!!! Not even in the same category as Wendy's or McDonalds!

Now if only they would bring back Ken's Honey Dijon dipping sauce :thumbsup2

20110131_1502.jpg

*drooling on her keyboard*

:goodvibes

Kids don't have to eat off a kids' menu on DCL. That is insanity.

On another note, my DS is now confused because he didn't know anything about a passageway between the two Kids Clubs. He had in and out privileges so it didn't matter, but now he's asking me to google, find photos, etc. Geesh!

I honestly don't get why people are so madly in love with the chicken fingers on DCL. I think they're good, but nowhere near great. They are one of the most solid items on on quick-food menu on DCL, but compared to chicken fingers available on land, they are lacking. Are they better than places like Zaxby's or Chik-fil-a or someplace like O'Charlies? I don't think so. Honestly, I think they are more on par with what you'd find at a Wendy's or McDonalds.

Doesn't mean they're bad, but they're not all that. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say they are a solid 5. Maybe 5.5, but I'd go no higher than that. :confused3

McDonald's or Wendy's???:scared1: no way!!! I don't eat them, although DD9 swears by them. Oh my goodness...McDonald's or Wendy's??? :lmao:

Anyone else LOVE the unlimited chocolate chip cookies? It's my weak point...I just can't pass by a tray without grabbing one. Or five. :rotfl:

I dont see any need to change my plans based on one nasty review.

Everyone think of your favorite place to eat. Got it in your mind? Now go on ww.yelp.com and read the reviews. Some will hate it! Thinks its disgusting, while others may love it. You have to look at overall trends, and remember, YMMV (your mileage may vary). For every "my child hate the kids club" there are two or three "I had to drag them out kicking and screaming".

Personally, I think the chicken strips look yummy.

I used to be about where you are--they were "okay" and more than enough to get me through until a "real" meal if needed--certainly the bet option around the pool for a non red meat eater.
Now I live somewhere where the ONLY chicken fingers are the gross McDonald's version (I do think DCL's are much better then McDonald's--but I agree about on par with Wendys) --and I am very fond of chicken fingers in general--so I was thrilled with them on our Med cruise:upsidedow

I dont see any need to change my plans based on one nasty review.

Everyone think of your favorite place to eat. Got it in your mind? Now go on ww.yelp.com and read the reviews. Some will hate it! Thinks its disgusting, while others may love it. You have to look at overall trends, and remember, YMMV (your mileage may vary). For every "my child hate the kids club" there are two or three "I had to drag them out kicking and screaming".

Personally, I think the chicken strips look yummy.

:lmao: and some of us have one of each kid :lmao:

Maybe I'm being too harsh comparing the chicken strips to the ones from McDonald's. It's been years since I had chicken strips from there, maybe they have gotten worse. Last I remember, they were just okay, but not bad.

I stick by my assertion that the DCL chicken strips are nothing special though. They're really not. I think people must just have a soft spot for them because you're eating them on a DCL ship. I can understand that.

Put the same strips in a land-based establishment and they are run-of-the-mill.

This thread just brought to mind what my daughter just told me happened to her while she was a guest on her friend's 16th birthday cruise. My daughter was 15 (she is 24 now so guess she thought it was safe to tell), and she was allowed to LEAVE THE SHIP ALONE in, I think St. Thomas, where she hung out with a local boy she had somehow met earlier? Little fuzzy on that. I think she told someone that she was meeting her friend's parents or some awful teenage lie. I was pretty shocked, first that she would be so stupid (she decided to rebel around that age) and second that it was so easy for her to just walk off the ship.

The chicken strips are amazing!!! Not even in the same category as Wendy's or McDonalds!

Now if only they would bring back Ken's Honey Dijon dipping sauce :thumbsup2

20110131_1502.jpg

*drooling on her keyboard*

:goodvibes

agreed about this chicken strips are amazing and loved that Ken's Honey Dijon dipping sauce.

Honestly, the situation in the kids clubs is not the dangerous, Lord of the Flies free-for-all that people are making it out to be!!!

As I said, we were on a full cruise that the cruise director told us included over 1300 children. We went in and out of the clubs often, because our kids wanted to be in there so much that we would stop by and check on them from time to time. Not because we were worried, but because we'd be moving on to a new activity and were just checking in to see if they were still having fun, and because it was fun for us to see what they were doing.

Every single time we were there - every single time - we saw kids that were busy, engaged and having fun. Never heard a child crying. Not once. Never saw a child alone. In the Club AND the Lab, there were CMs everywhere playing with the kids. There were no groups of kids roaming around and making trouble. The CM-to-child ratio is excellent, seriously they're everywhere! There is even an unfortunate soul whose job it is to stand outside the restroom and make sure everyone is okay and washes their hands on the way out (this person also monitors the corridor between the Club and Lab).

My youngest is 4, and he's shy. It takes him a bit to warm up and get involved without his brother. By the end of his first time in there, the CMs were calling him by name. He stayed mostly in the Club, but it was so helpful for him to be able to go to the Lab (that's where his 7-year-old brother preferred to be, playing video games). Even in the Lab, CMs engaged him. One time we went in to see them, my little one was in the Lab learning to make Disney characters out of Play Doh, and another time he was having a dance party with Stitch.

No, it's not strictly structured like a school or a daycare. The kids can pick and choose their activities and not be shuttled from A to B to C, but I think that's the point - it's their vacation, too. While not strictly structured, that does not mean it's unsafe. Those CMs know what is going on at all times. They take very good care of the kids. There are no gangs of evil 10-year-olds stalking and bullying the 3-year-olds., honestly there aren't. If a child was making trouble, the CMs would take care of it, and if it kept happening I can assure you that child would not be welcome anymore.

Oh, and one more note about the "tweens" who can use the Lab if they want to, I did chat with a CM about that. She told me that almost none of them do, and the ones who do are kids who like the interaction with the adults and come only for scheduled activities that interest them. When a tween checks in, all the CMs on the floor in the Lab are aware of it and they are monitored. I saw this myself, one checked in when we were dropping off my son, and a CM walked the boy to the activity he had come to participate in (a cooking activity).

I could not have said this better. On our recent 11-day Med cruise on the Magic, our 6 yo DS and 8 yo DD had a fabulous time in the Club/Lab. They spent time in each place, and I never saw them to be running amok or unsupervised. By the end of the cruise, we could hardly tear our 6 yo out of the Lab. We had to drag him out to dinner just to make him take a break. My kids would have preferred to skip some of our fabulous Med excursions just to be able to spend more quality time in the clubs. I never once felt that my children were unsupervised, let alone being placed in a dangerous situation.

We've all had these people as table mates. You know the kind. They get upset when goofy messes up their romantic "character breakfast" and wonder why there are some many kids on the boat. They then complain about the wacky wait staff and the bad food.

That's fine. I love DCL and will keep going back. The more curmudgeons that read these reviews and stay away the better. More for us crazy folk!

Clint

I guess I should pop in and say my main reason for posting the review was the funny notes they had about the adult Disney fans.

I found it humorous.

I found it funny too. I just pictured these poor people who were not huge Disney fans to start with and who were unknowingly booked on a DCL "first" cruise (you know the first Alaska or worse yet the MV of the Dream) and watching the crazy adults on those ships, not knowing that this was not normal cruising behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter