For you smokers out there......

ban smoking

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. Also following up with the person you quoted: How can Disney guarantee smoking vs. non smoking rooms? Lets say they have 50 smoking roms at BCV, what if 60 smokers reserve rooms? Should they not let the person book a room at all or should they just do their best and hope the smoker follows the rule and does not smoke inside.

I understand that it wouldnt be easy....but...

Just saying that if someone smokes.....they will not stop
on vacation.....

i dont want to walk around wdw...to smoke or smell it....

I am in the very minority position who Smokes.....very occasionally....

usually on vacation with one too many drinks:confused3 :dance3:

So while i would never blow my smoke at someone else....

In the Privacy of my own room i would like to enjoy that right....

i might smoke on the balcony....
but probably not....hate to stink up my neighbors:lmao:
anyhoo i do like a private balcony.....

but that is just for my coffee drinkin in my nightgown:goodvibes
peace
Kerri

[snip]If you must smoke there are plenty of smoking areas around the park and resorts [snip]

i'm so glad you brought that up! i have visited most of the dvc resorts and have never seen a designated smoking area in any of them...the parks - yes...the resorts - no.

could you be so good as to expound on the locations of those smoking areas at the resorts to which you refer and to which the smokers can be directed? please start with okw since i will be there in a few weeks and directing smokers to designated areas might make the stay more pleasant. tia

i'm so glad you brought that up! i have visited most of the dvc resorts and have never seen a designated smoking area in any of them...the parks - yes...the resorts - no.

could you be so good as to expound on the locations of those smoking areas at the resorts to which you refer and to which the smokers can be directed? please start with okw since i will be there in a few weeks and directing smokers to designated areas might make the stay more pleasant. tia

I don't know about OKW, but at BCV there is an area on your right at you walk to the villas. It is a little "cove" with benches and the BEST views of Illuminations on property. There are several trashcan "ashtrays" positioned around this area. Personally, I find it very sad....I would LOVE to have my family watch Illuminations from there, but I cannot stand the smell of that area. I have to say, it is usually VERY crowded with smokers during the fireworks. They're pretty lucky!!! They got PRIME real estate for their smoking area.

Hi tia,

My last stay was this past year at the beach club and there was an nice alcove with a bench and ashtrays about 50 steps from the entrence to the VC area of the resort. I have many friends and family that smoke and love them to death, trust me its not my point to give the smokers a hard time ,just get aggrevated when I see people talking about 'smokers rights".

Never have I looked down or commented on anybodys smoking in public, I had it done to me on many occations and it stinks, no pun intended.

I tryed to look for a map of the smoking areas for you to no avail, im sure they will be happy to let you know where they are, all resorts are listed as having designated smoking areas and if they are like the beach club they are very convinent to the lodging area and very well kept.:thumbsup2

Perhaps disney should hand out nicotine patches to smokers with the welcome packs.
Even if smokers dont smoke anyhere near the resort the matresses on the beds can still smell of stale smoke because someone has been smoking during the day. This can be unpleasant for many people.
With regard to the parks I personally think that smoking should be banned completly, when walking past the areas in which smoking is allowed you can smell it, if you can smell it you are inhaling second hand smoke which is known to be a killer. If people cannot manage all day take a patch with them, if they still cannot manage dont go! In the UK it is to be banned from all enclosed work places in August 2007 with the exception of prisons. This means all places where people work which obviously includes hotels, bars restraunts basically everywhere. This will be enforced with large fines and the possibility of losing your buisness and is easily enforcable - you only need one complaint from an employee. The law has been clever by making it a right for every employee to be able to work in a smoke free workplace therefore making it an employment condition rather than a law that just bans the customer from doing it. I am looking forward to it coming in.

With regard to the parks I personally think that smoking should be banned completly, when walking past the areas in which smoking is allowed you can smell it, if you can smell it you are inhaling second hand smoke which is known to be a killer.

I agree. However, I try to remember that WDW is better than DL Paris in this respect. We took our dd to DL Paris, and was surprised at how often we were standing next to smokers in line. The worst was when we were in line at IASWAA....we had 5 teenage smokers in front of us, and a couple that both smoked behind us. The line was long, and they smoked the entire time. And, there were cigarette butts all over the place. Honestly, I will never understand why some smokers think it is acceptable to throw ciggy butts on the ground or out the car window. :confused3 Just another reason why I think the habit is pretty nasty...the way people dispose of the "leftovers".

Personally I don't have a list of the locations but they are marked on all the resort maps and not at all hard to find. I don't use them since I only smoke cigars and only when I'm fishing or reaxing with a cocktail, also don't need nonsmoking rooms because I don't smoke in the room.

Whatever they do I hope they do it soon. Our next trip is the week after Thanksgiving and we will have two of our grandkids with us. It should include a ban around the pools also. The last trip to OKW, we sat ourselfs down in the main pool area and sure enough within a few minutes we had smokers all around us. As noted many times here, the smoke is not smart enough to stay near the smoker, it waffles over to us. We waited for another table to open up, none did so we left. Driven out by others inconsideration of those around them. Disney at the very least need to enforce a smoking ban in all places like the pools where kids frequent. Why I did not say anything? Well if I did not have one of my grandaughters with me(see my sig.) and not wanting to create a secene near her I would have...smjj

I know several posts mentioned on this thread noted that Disneyland Paris had people smoking in lines. Also mentioned was that one of the reason WDW has not been very quick about banning smoking is due to the international quest who come from countries that do smoke. Well today there is a article on MSNBC about how tomorrow France is joining the growing list of Euoropean countries banning smoking in public. If this keeps up, WDW will not be able to use this as an excuse...smjj

I know several posts mentioned on this thread noted that Disneyland Paris had people smoking in lines. Also mentioned was that one of the reason WDW has not been very quick about banning smoking is due to the international quest who come from countries that do smoke. Well today there is a article on MSNBC about how tomorrow France is joining the growing list of Euoropean countries banning smoking in public. If this keeps up, WDW will not be able to use this as an excuse...smjj

Yes, and the interesting thing about that is that I read that something like 87% of the voting population of France smokes, but 78% of the voters voted to ban smoking. That's a whole lot of smokers who voted FOR the ban.

feel banning smoking at DVC resorts will probably not happen anytime soon and if it does...... a lot of people will still do it anyway probably (then the non smoking rooms will smell of stale smoke)...they might not smoke in the rooms but their clothes will smell of it (if they smoke outside) and every place they sit or lay will smell of it. I know when my FIL comes to visit...he does not smoke in our home but all the furniture that he sits on and uses smells like smoke. Everything they send us in a package for b'days and Christmas smells of smoke. So in my opinion....LET THEIR BE SMOKING DVC RESORT ROOMS. Then everyone will be happy. I pesonally would rather get a non smoking room that has never had a smoker stay in vs. getting a room at a non smoking resort that A SMOKER HAS STAYED IN. That is just my opinion. Shades of Green is a non smoking resort and we have always had a room that never smells of smoke.....but they also impose fines if they find that there has been smoking in the room. We had to sign a paper stating we understood that this is a non smoking resort....no smoking anywhere.

. Shades of Green is a non smoking resort and we have always had a room that never smells of smoke.....but they also impose fines if they find that there has been smoking in the room. We had to sign a paper stating we understood that this is a non smoking resort....no smoking anywhere.

Interesting, I did not know this. I know WDW leases this resort to the Defense department but they still own it. How long has this been in effect and why can't the other WDW resorts do it??..smjj

Interesting, I did not know this. I know WDW leases this resort to the Defense department but they still own it. How long has this been in effect and why can't the other WDW resorts do it??..smjj

I actually didn't know right off hand. I know the last couple of trips I remember them mentioning this at the desk when you check in. So I called this morning to see when they became a non smoking resort. The front desk clerk told me that she has been working there since they reopened after the remodel and that was in 2004 and they were non smoking then. We did stay when it was the OLD SOG....but I can't remember what it was back then. Also, when I made my first ressies for DVC I had forgotten that the regular resorts weren't all non smoking when she asked me what type of room I wanted. That sort of took me back.....just not realizing that they are all not that way. Like I said in my orginal post.......I am sort of scared that if they don't have smoking rooms then people will smoke anyway in the resorts regardless of fines or penalties and even if they smoke in designated areas their clothes still smell bad and then you get that smell on the furniture in the rooms. IT is a catch 22...to ban or not ban. I pesonally don't like to be around smoke and it bothers my children terribly...especially my son who has asthma but where we live there is no smoking in restaurants so we really don't deal with smoking issues so I forget about this til we travel. None of our friends smoke just my dh's dad. I know once when traveling a few years ago....we stopped one night (we were driving) and we asked for a non smoking room and as soon as walked in you could smell the MASKING of the smoke....they had sprayed some type of air freshner or neutralizer WELL WE COULD SMELL IT IN THE drapes and on the furniture. My son just started sneezing like crazy.....so we had to ask to try another room which was fine. This is such a touchy subject and who knows what will happen in the future. I am sure the smokers feel their rights are being violated and we non smokers feel ours are when we have to be around the smoke. I wonder if their truly is a win win situation. :confused:

I am sure the smokers feel their rights are being violated and we non smokers feel ours are when we have to be around the smoke. I wonder if their truly is a win win situation. :confused:

You know, it would be a win, win situation if the smokers followed the rules and smoked only in the designated areas or rooms. We have twice been granted non-smoking at OKW only to have to change rooms because they were smoked in..smjj

You know, it would be a win, win situation if the smokers followed the rules and smoked only in the designated areas or rooms. We have twice been granted non-smoking at OKW only to have to change rooms because they were smoked in..smjj

I really hope this never happens to us. UGH What a pain and waste of time to change rooms.

I really hope this never happens to us. UGH What a pain and waste of time to change rooms.

Yes it was a pain and a waste of our time. The last time it was raining buckets. I had to go back to HH while my wife stayed in the room. Wouldn't you know it our luggage had beat us to the room. I got the room changed listened to the spile from the manager about how this rarely happens and was sorry it did and that there was nothing they could do about it. Then be taken back to the room, picked up our luggage and moved it to the new room. Since they had a member from Bell Services take me back to our room and help us move to the new room I tipped him. All because a non-smoking room had been smoked in, AGAIN...smjj

Then tell the non-smokers to stay out of smoking areas. I witnessed many times a non-smoker sitting in a designated area and complaining about smokers. I don't smoke, but it's a 2-way street. I've even seen smokers being asked to take it somewhere else because a non-smoker was in the area getting some shade.

This is one of those threads that keeps going and going....I posted my opinions early on when I smoked...I have since quit going on 5 months and find it amazing the thread is still going. My opinions have not changed on this subject since I QUIT......Just be respectfull of others....and follow the rules. Most of all have Common Sense...which I feel has become a lost art!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter