For you smokers out there......

ban smoking

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We booked a grand villae OKW a few years back and ordered non-smoking. They only had smoking available and it was dreadful - they brought in a machine to clean the air.

Also feel that all apartments now should be no-smoking for the health of everyone.

The state of California is adding second hand smoke to the Toxic chemical list. As a reformed smoker (I smoked for 20 years and quit 2 years ago) I can finally understand why non-smokers complain about the smell of smoke. If I had realized what I smelled like all those years I would have quit much sooner. Even when I smoked I thought all public buildings should be non-smoking. I can understand both sides of the debate but have to go with the smoke free -

I stayed at a Hilton in Glendale CA and there was a sign by the elevator that said something to the effect that there may be smoking rooms on the floor and it has been determined that smoking can be harmful to unborn fetuses. My room was non-smoking and it was fine but I was surprised to see that sign.

Bmwdsny said:
Not to be prejudice against Smokers, but in plain English...ALL HOTELS SHOULD BE SMOKE FREE BY LAW!!! not only for "smell" puprose but for safety reasons too!!!

Agreed!

Chuck S said:
The problem I see with that...lets say that the person before me smoked in the room. ...

My thoughts also. How would you be able to prove that the DVC member smoked in the room, and it wasn't the person before him or her? I'm a non-smoker, but I may very well not notice that a room has been smoked in by the person before me. Then the next person comes in, complains, and I get charged $250.

Nope, that's definitely not the way to go. I'm not going to trust somebody else's *nose* to prove that I was the last person to smoke in the room.

And I don't want the "smoking police" making surprise, unannounced visits to my room trying to catch me smoking.

I may go for making all rooms non-smoking, but since the smokers pay their dues also, I'd have to be convinced they were somehow taken care of. You can't say just go on the balcony -- because I've seen threads in here from non-smokers complaining about that. You can't say go outside the building (and stand in the rain or heat) because I believe that is not right either. Perhaps if a *nice* smoking lounge, with comfortable chairs, couches, a fireplace, etc were available in each DVC resort, then you could make the rooms non-smoking.

-Shawn

Chuck S said:
The problem I see with that...lets say that the person before me smoked in the room. My sense of smell isn't very acute so I don't notice it. Then the person to occupy the room after me is extremely sensitive and can smell the faintest wisp. They report that the room had been smoked in, and DVC back charges my credit card. Are we going to hire a crew of inspectors/supervisors to inspect each room at a significant increase to our dues?
The maid's can do it, they do at other timeshare resorts. They usually only charge those where it's obvious. But if you knew you might be on the hook for $250 or more, wouldn't you pay attention when you checked into the unit? Plus unless one had been in the room only a night or 2, it should be VERY obvious anyway.

BTW, many timeshares also monitor the furnishings, dishes, etc. And they will charge you if the room is short. They ask you to do an inventory and turn it in. Most still only charge you for the obvious things.

The maids don't seem to have time to do everything they need to do so we can be in our rooms in a timely manner...do we really want to add policing smokers to their duties?

Dean said:
The maid's can do it, they do at other timeshare resorts. They usually only charge those where it's obvious. But if you knew you might be on the hook for $250 or more, wouldn't you pay attention when you checked into the unit? Plus unless one had been in the room only a night or 2, it should be VERY obvious anyway.

Hi Dean,

Not trying to be argumentative or anything, and I'm new to timeshares (and DVC will likely be my only one), but thought I'd comment on your experience.

If by obvious it means there are cigarrette butts on the counter, then that seems like it would be reasonable evidence. But if by obvious it is referring to the odor of cigarette smoke, then I wouldn't support this.

I just *do not* have a very good sense of smell. I imagine others don't also. I work around folks who it seems can smell a smoker (or perfumer or aftershaver or ...) from 5 offices away and will complain about it. A smoker can walk into my office and sit down, and I'd not even notice it.

Just voicing my concerns that what's obvious varies tremendously, and as a DVC member, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for other's transgressions.

-Shawn

Shawn said:
Hi Dean,

Not trying to be argumentative or anything, and I'm new to timeshares (and DVC will likely be my only one), but thought I'd comment on your experience.

If by obvious it means there are cigarrette butts on the counter, then that seems like it would be reasonable evidence. But if by obvious it is referring to the odor of cigarette smoke, then I wouldn't support this.

I just *do not* have a very good sense of smell. I imagine others don't also. I work around folks who it seems can smell a smoker (or perfumer or aftershaver or ...) from 5 offices away and will complain about it. A smoker can walk into my office and sit down, and I'd not even notice it.

Just voicing my concerns that what's obvious varies tremendously, and as a DVC member, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for other's transgressions.

-Shawn
Not being arguementative at all and I understand the position. My point was it's usually painfully obvious, esp if someone has been in the room a few days.

Chuck S said:
The maids don't seem to have time to do everything they need to do so we can be in our rooms in a timely manner...do we really want to add policing smokers to their duties?
This is something they essentially do anyway, all that would be added is to formally report it in some way. Just like they're supposed to do now with problems they see with the room. However, IMO, I'd far rather pay for them to do this than almost everything else they do. And any increased labor costs would easily be offset by decreased soft goods refurbishment costs and the fines themselves. Many other timeshares do it and do it successfully. I'm sure some slip by but if the resorts are agressive enough at it, the policy and enforcement thereof, act as a deterent. And this is the entire goal, not to collect a tarrif itself. Or I could just hand out super soakers and we could sweep the place periodically.

BWVDee said:
...some of the really dramatic anti smokers are pushing to the point that they better watch what they wish for.

I respect your opinion but keep in mind some of the "really dramatic anti smokers" may have lost a loved one too early due in part to cigarette smoking (my father - emphysema and my mother - Lung Cancer). There is a certain hatred of smoking that develops when you watch your mother die of lung cancer.

While I wish everyone would stop smoking ;) , I do understand that that is not going to happen. I do think smokers should be provided with separate "smoking" rooms and Disney should listen to that section of their target audience. Making all the rooms suddenly "non-smoking" will not just "eliminate" the smoking!!!

Dawna

Tink10 said:
I'm also a smoker and always request a smoking room, but never get one. I have, on more than one occasion, asked about the possibility of changing to a smoking room and was told to go ahead and smoke in the room that I was assigned. Housekeeping will even bring an ashtray to a NS room!

Now, before anyone flames me, I WILL NOT smoke in a non-smoking room, I go on the balcony, but as I've said in another thread on the resorts board, you can't always blame the room occupants when the CM's are telling people that it's ok to smoke.
When the front desk tells people it is okay to smoke in the N/S unit then a notation should be made that the villa needs to have the ionizing cleaning done before it is listed as a N/S villa again. No extra charge to the member when told it is okay to smoke but a hefty charge if not told okay to smoke.
If someone has the courtesy to request a smoking villa they should not be penalized if one is not available. On the other hand a non smoking requester shouldn't have to put up with the unpleasant odor left behind.
It does amaze me that a smoker can not get the requested villa and so many N/S get the few smoker units ! :sad2:
It does not seem to be a priority for management. :confused3

Oh, Tink10, you are SO CONSIDERATE. Thanks for not smoking in a nonsmoking room. Wow.

And the comment, "be careful what we wish for," as far as anti-smokers, I'll keep wishin...thank you.

I can't stand it, I am militant, and that's that. I will not and cannot see a middle ground. I don't want to hear it from smokers. No matter what they do, they are inconsiderate. It's all about them.

Because of smokers, we all smoke, whether we want to or not. There is no choice for us nonsmokers.

BensMom said:
I don't want to hear it from smokers. No matter what they do, they are inconsiderate. It's all about them.
wow...... :sad2: :sad2:

As i said it another thread, and not to prejudice smokers, but yes, all smoking should be banned from hotels...Not only to solve the "smell" problem, which my DH is allergic to smoke, but it is a safety issue!!!

I say no, many people purchased into DVC with the understanding that there would be some smoking rooms. I am a non-smoker, and I don't like being placed in a smoking room, but really, if we ban it (unless by state/local law) what happens if someone does smoke in a room? Are they fined? Will you guarantee that the right person/party is fined? Should we add another responsibility to our maids to be "smoke police"? Just think, all of you complaining about getting into rooms late now, what if the maids have to conduct "smell tests" then make a written report to fine the previous occupant, it would have to be documented, wouldn't it? Should we hire additional maids and raise our dues?

I wouldn't have a problem banning smoking if it were done by law, but I don't think Disney will do it unilaterally...and I'm not sure I'd want them to. I sure wouldn't want bogus smoking charges showing up on my member account or credit that I'd have to try to get reversed.

pluto109 said:
no smoking in any rooms.. who agrees

Totally loaded and unfair question. I don't smoke but it disgusts me to see how most non-smokers like to join the tyrannical majority when it comes to smokers. I can respect the fact that non-smokers don't want to be trapped in the same room while someone is smoking, but dedicated rooms keep everyone happy. I do think smoking rooms should be at a minimum but the option should still exist.

And also, many non-smokers don't give a damn if the room is non-smoking, they will smoke anyway. SO might as well try to contain the smoking to a select number of rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter