For those paying oop for food do you venture outside of Disney

tami82

DIS Veteran
Does anyone ever venture outside of Disney to eat dinner and save a buck or two, probably close,to half of what we would spend at the world. We can usually eat a decent meal with appetizer for around $60 2 adults 2 kids.

I' was showing my husband the prices which I figured with the dining calculator and he brought up if I would mind eating outside of Disney a few times. We won't be on the dining plan our next trip and to get the most bang for our buck would like to eat outside of the world once or twice instead of paying Disneys high price for a table service. It's going to cost 100+ to eat and don't want to pay that every time we want a decent meal.
We don't need anything fancy even a chain would be ok or good local place.

My husband doesn't mind taking a drive outside of the resort to eat a few times for dinner. It's been a few years since we have been in the area and I don't recall what is nearby.

We do but not just to save money. We get sick of the Disney TS and go offsite for a change. We go to Bahama Breeze, Cheesecake Factory, Smokey Bones, Margharitaville and Hard Rock Cafe. We also go to the Perkins Pancake Place for some breakfasts. There is only so much Disney Dining we can take.

We also sometimes do take out Chinese, Pizza.

We headed out one night to Lone Star Steakhouse. Just to get a change and to do a little exploring. It wasn't that great.

We have tried it in the past but now we stick with Disney. Mainly for the convenience and atmosphere (although we happen to like the food as well).

We almost always go to Fudruckers at Crossings - it's a fave of DH and there aren't any nearby at home. At other times we've gone to Friday's, Longhorn, Chilis, etc. Its a change of scenery, less expensive, more variety on one menu, etc. I don't find it takes that much longer to eat off site than it does to eat onsite unless we're eating at our resort.

Does anyone ever venture outside of Disney to eat dinner and save a buck or two, probably close,to half of what we would spend at the world. We can usually eat a decent meal with appetizer for around $60 2 adults 2 kids.

We do not venture off site. We choose not to. We enjoy our onsite meals. Seems like you have made your decision - so why are you asking here?

We don't. We don't want to drive anywhere while at Disney. We usually eat at resort restaurants or bring food with us.

Our son is working there now, so we took him to eat a few times earlier this month. We went to Flippers (near Goodings) and it was very good. He had a bunch of pizza to take back to his apartment to share with his roommates and friends. The breadsticks were excellent.

I second Bahama Breeze. Good food for a fraction of the cost of a table service at Disney. We don't stay onsite, though.

We do but not just to save money. We get sick of the Disney TS and go offsite for a change. We go to Bahama Breeze, Cheesecake Factory, Smokey Bones, Margharitaville and Hard Rock Cafe. We also go to the Perkins Pancake Place for some breakfasts. There is only so much Disney Dining we can take.

We also sometimes do take out Chinese, Pizza.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm glad to,see this isn't such a unusual thing to do.

When I am on vacation in WDW (as opposed to a business trip) I don't get a car anymore usually so we eat onsite.

If I had a car (which I have at different times) it is to improve what I am eating and Hard Rock Cafe, Margaritaville and Cheesecake Factory would not be improvements.

We enjoy Bahama Breeze, the restaurants at Celebration and Pointe Orlando and several in the Dr Philips area. We'd also might stop at Publix or Costco to bring back rotisserie chicken, ribs and salads. Pizza from Flippers, Anthony's Coal Fired and Giordano's are other takeout we've done.

Eaten off-site a few times, Carraba's, Outback, Landry's,, Chinese, and a few Latin restaurants…..oh and Which 'Wich in Dr. Phillips. There's a Thai place in Dr. Phillips that I'd like to try as well. I'm looking for a good Chinese restaurant [take-out] for lunch but haven't found one. Most are not that good compared to what we get up North….just sayin'.

I like eating at Disney myself but I don't mind it if it's for a restaurant that we may not have in our area back home.

Good luck and good question!

Nope. We stay onsite and don't rent a car. There's nowhere in Orlando to eat that's worth the time it would take away from the parks for us. We're willing to pay a little more for more Park time.

When I looked, I couldn't find a whole lot comparable places (fun theme, etc) off site that was a whole lot cheaper. I was hoping for an Ohana alternative but places like Texas de Brazil cost even more.

That said, we had a super cheap meal in Cici's Pizza recently with a Groupon :)

Ditto the Giordano's. And we love Millers Orlando Ale House as well, hit that up at happy hour time and it's far cheaper than Disney. With a car you can also do Chili's carside pickup on to-go orders so just one person really needs to venture out if everyone else is tired:)

We eat at the Perkins and Fudruckers right off property occasionally. We always drive and especially now with our little one we've gotten to where we even like driving to the parks. Especially on our AK day we'll hop in the car and head over to the outlets and grab something to eat out that way.

We aren't extravagant eaters and burgers and chicken strips really aren't out of the question for us but the quality gets much better when you get off property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter