For those of you who *hate* heavy DL crowds and went during heavy crowds...

Cheap is relative unfortunately, and depends on where you are/want to be in/near the parks at dinner time. Hotel TS options and Carthay Circle will be most expensive. Dining in DTD might be more affordable. Depending on where you're staying, there's always Earl of Sandwich in DTD. It's CS but awesome. (When we stayed at DLH last year, it was our go-to dinner option.)
We love Earl of Sandwich! I'm also thinking Tortilla Jo's. We also really enjoyed Tangaroa Terrace.

We arrive late on Friday 12/11 and come home late on Tuesday 12/15. When we planned this trip, we were anticipating moderate crowds (similar to what we have experienced at WDW during the same travel dates). This definitely isn't going to be the case, lol. Luckily, though, we have been to the CA and FL parks many times and know that we will be back again in the future. So, it is all about planning some meals (reservations are already made for Big Thunder BBQ, Blue Bayou, and Carnation Cafe) and arriving at the parks earlier (which will be more difficult for my DH than me, lol). It will be a magical place with all of the holiday decorations, too!

Just curious, why do you think it is going to be extremely crowded during thise dates? We will be there from Dec 6-9. We went two years ago, but from Wed - Sat, and the crowds were really low, especially in DCA ( dates attached to the same weekend). Friday night and Saturday got very busy but the other days were great! We booked Sunday - Wednesday this time, hoping people would start leaving Sunday and Monday - Wednesday would be less crowded.

The second week of December has been sold out at all Disney hotels for a while now. Both the 3rd and 4th weeks of December have plenty of rooms still available. Another hint that it will be busy.

I took a trip last month, and it was more crowded than we'd anticipated. If you follow some good strategies, you should be fine. Things I learned included:
  • Rope Drop - it's so worth it to get there early. One morning, I rode Toy story three times on 30 minutes, then single-rider-lined California Screaming -- all between 8:00 and 9:00 am. But one thing that's really important is to check to see which days are early entry days. If you're not eligible for EE, you'll be way behind the curve because so many people will be in the park already when it opens to non-EE guests. The same morning that I rode four rides before 9:00 am, it took my friend nearly an hour to ride just one ride (Peter Pan) because the line was really long.
  • Fast Pass - use to its maximum advantage. I'm pretty much always holding a FP.
  • Single Rider Line - It amazes me that more people don't take advantage of it! We single-ridered RSR, CS, and Soarin' multiple times, and never waited more than 5 minutes.
  • Try to go during the week if you can, rather than on weekends.
  • If it does get crowded, take a break! The Saturday on my trip last month ended up being the most crowded day of any od my 10+ DL/WDW trips - plus it was 95 degrees! We left the park around 1:00. ate lunch at DTD, then went back t the hotel for a nap and a shower.
  • Make a few dining reservations ahead of time. I was so thankful to have a dinner reservation at Cafe Orleans on that super-busy day! There's something about having a relaxing, sit-down meal that lets you recharge your batteries! Plus, the yummy Crescent City chicken salad and Mickey beignets with berry dipping sauce - best meal of the trip!

Last edited:

Star Wars run; DH and DS doing the 5K and I'm doing the 10K.

We had (still have) Anabella booked, but I finally got flights the other day and it was cheaper (cheap!) to fly the evening the day before, then stay another day.

So our actual intended stay is the 13th through the 19th, and we'll be at Desert Palms. Less expensive than Anabella for our stay, especially since it includes breakfast and parking. Can't recall if it has a resort fee, but if it does, well Anabella does, too.

I'm not into characters.

I loved it when DS got to meet Jack Sparrow, but other than that it doesn't interest me. (never did...I was scared of them as a kid!) Though Po, on a Royal Caribbean ship, got me to smile once.

We haven't stayed on that side of the parks either -- but it is close to the running corrals so I thought we would give it a chance

That proximity is why we started with Anabella. :) DH recently realized that once he has walked/jogged for about a mile, he does better, so we figure it'll be a warmup to get to the corrals from Desert Palms vs Anabella. Of course, then there's the 2 hours of waiting, but oh well, he and DS figured that out in near freezing temperatures at WDW for the January 5K this year...he can figure it out in Anaheim.

I hate crowds, and try to go during the least crowded times of the year. However, I have been at super crowded times in December, as well as the middle of summer. I will never do summer again. I have learned that I can handle heat, and I can handle crowds, but I cannot handle both at the same time. It was too much and I kind of do regret going. It left kind of a sour taste in my mouth.

That's why I am going back one last time before my AP expires, the week of Thanksgiving. I know that it will be crowded, but I've dealt with that before and it's not a huge deal to me as long as I don't feel like I am going to pass out from insane humidity.

I have found that the crowds only really start to become a serious bother around parade times on Main Street, or around Fantasmic! show time in New Orleans Square. I also try to avoid entering/exiting Tomorrowland on the Main Street side in the afternoons, as there is a huge bottleneck right in front of Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear that crams everyone together into a small space. I've had more than one leg bruise due to strollers/wheelchairs in this area. Typically I do Tomorrowland first thing in the morning so that I can ride Space Mountain and Star Tours repeatedly with minimal lines, and so that I can avoid Tomorrowland later in the day.

Otherwise, even on really crowded days people are dispersed enough that it's not a continual nuisance. As already mentioned, eat meals during off times. This not only means shorter lines for food, but also means that you will have shorter lines/less crowds elsewhere while most others are eating.

Take advantage of FP and keep checking wait times through the app of your choice. Head to whatever has the shortest lines. On really busy days, certain rides tend to break down more frequently (Indiana Jones, I'm looking at you). If you are paying attention, you may be lucky enough to get in line just after the ride has re-opened.

Another good strategy is starting at DLR when there are no crowds, then moving over to DCA in the afternoons. The paths are built wider there, so even high crowds feel like much less people than at DLR.

You will find other strategies along the way just based on observation. For example, you will probably notice that the wait for the train is always longer at New Orleans Square and Toontown, but practically non-existent at Tomorrowland station. And certain paths are less crowded than others; when moving from Fantasyland to Frontierland/New Orleans Square, go the back way past the Big Thunder Ranch area, or go through the Fantasy Faire area, don't go through the more crowded Main Street.

If I were you, I would not cancel just because of crowds. Especially with 5 days, I think you will have plenty of time to explore what you want to. With just some slight schedule adjustments, you will be ahead of the pack and can really enjoy your trip. And hey, if you get really sick of navigating the parade crowds, just plop down and join them! Have your designated runner go grab some corn dogs (or my personal favorite, chimichangas) and relax for a bit.
Thank you so much for your wonderful advice!! My first time ever will be at Christmas this year. It is an unexpected blessing and I am just excited beyond words!! I do have a question about leaving the park with a hopper pass...will I get "blocked out" due to crowds if I travel from one park to the next? Ie: Go to California Adventure when Disneyland is busy, can I get back in to Disneyland for parade or fireworks?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your wonderful advice!! My first time ever will be at Christmas this year. It is an unexpected blessing and I am just excited beyond words!! I do have a question about leaving the park with a hopper pass...will I get "blocked out" due to crowds if I travel from one park to the next? Ie: Go to California Adventure when Disneyland is busy, can I get back in to Disneyland for parade or fireworks?

It is my understanding that if you leave Disneyland and go to Cal Adventure and then Disneyland hits max capacity, you will not be allowed back in to Disneyland later in the day. Of course, I could be totally wrong, lol :)

It is my understanding that if you leave Disneyland and go to Cal Adventure and then Disneyland hits max capacity, you will not be allowed back in to Disneyland later in the day. Of course, I could be totally wrong, lol :)
That's what I feared. I don't want to be visiting DTD or DCA and not be able to return :scared:

For those who fear not being able to get much done with crowds, I was in the parks yesterday and crowds were heavy, yet I accomplished the following:

Peter Pan
Hyperspace Mountain twice (once with FP)
Astroblasters
Storybookland Canal Boats
Alice in Wonderland
Snow White
Pinocchio
Matterhorn single rider
Photo with Pluto in Toontown
Disneyland Railroad from Toontown to New Orleans Square
Pulled FP for Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Pulled Indiana Jones FP
Lunch at Big Thunder Ranch BBQ
Shopped at Downtown Disney
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Pirates of the Caribbean
Pulled FP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Watched a show at Golden Horseshoe
Matterhorn single rider
Someone handed us Haunted Mansion FPs, so we rode Haunted Mansion
Tried to use Indiana Jones FP, ride broken
Saw much of fireworks while trying to walk across to Tomorrowland
Explored Launch Bay
Met Chewbacca
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Indiana Jones
Jingle Cruise
Picked up candy cane beignets
Little Mermaid
World of Color
Toy Story

That's great RemainSeatedPlease! I want to do similar to what you did, so can I ask how did you accomplish all that? What time did you line up before rope drop? Did you have an order of rides planned or did you check wait times on the app and decide that way? Thanks for sharing! That gives me hope that it can be done!

We were also in the parks 11/19-11/21 and the crowds were heavy the second and third days. The biggest important thing is to have a Fastpass runner to avoid the entire family having to run around the whole park. We saw everything we wanted to see in 3 days. Job well done. I highly recommend hitting CA paradise Pier rides first thing in the morning. No lines except for Toy Story and Mickey's Wheel.

For those who fear not being able to get much done with crowds, I was in the parks yesterday and crowds were heavy, yet I accomplished the following:

Peter Pan
Hyperspace Mountain twice (once with FP)
Astroblasters
Storybookland Canal Boats
Alice in Wonderland
Snow White
Pinocchio
Matterhorn single rider
Photo with Pluto in Toontown
Disneyland Railroad from Toontown to New Orleans Square
Pulled FP for Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Pulled Indiana Jones FP
Lunch at Big Thunder Ranch BBQ
Shopped at Downtown Disney
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Pirates of the Caribbean
Pulled FP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Watched a show at Golden Horseshoe
Matterhorn single rider
Someone handed us Haunted Mansion FPs, so we rode Haunted Mansion
Tried to use Indiana Jones FP, ride broken
Saw much of fireworks while trying to walk across to Tomorrowland
Explored Launch Bay
Met Chewbacca
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Indiana Jones
Jingle Cruise
Picked up candy cane beignets
Little Mermaid
World of Color
Toy Story
What time were you at the parks?

I'm not a big fan of crowds but as long as I prepare myself ahead of time I usually have a good time. I have done trips to DLR during heavy crowd days like 24-hours day or some other special event/holiday and do well with the large crowds as long as I prepare myself. They are other times when I've gone to DLR only to find out that the day I decided to go (grad night, dapper day, etc) was a bad choice because I wasn't aware of the events going on. Yeah, my fault for not checking but sometimes I just go at the drop of the hat. Nevertheless I will try to enjoy myself as much as possible but sometimes but sometimes I just leave the park which are the benefits of being an annual passholder and living 15-miles away. I think I just need to convince myself that every time I visit is going to be crowded and mentally prepare myself especially with the upcoming ride closures for the park expansion.

Star Tours was about 60 min wait on Saturday, but stuff like that doesn't matter if you use Fast Passes and plan effectively.

My friend is there now and posted a pic this morning of the line for the bag check and it was almost all the way to Harbor! YIKES! I checked the app just now and all the big rides have 60-70 minute waits right now. Guessing this week is going to be pretty busy!

We were there yesterday morning for bag check and it was about a 30-40 min wait at 9:30am. Lots of employees bugging the line, too. Very odd. Isn't there a CM entrance???

What time were you at the parks?
We were there from opening until 11 pm. Actually, opening was at 8 am with Magic Morning at 7 am. However the park seemed to be open to the general public when we arrived at 7:30 am. We aren't eligible for MM or EMH, but we walked right in and went to Peter Pan (about a 20 minute wait). So, we probably wouldn't have been able to do that ride if they hadn't opened the park early.

We were there last week. Friday we were in DL. We got there at 7:30 for an 8am opening. (No MM in DL). We stayed 8-11, had lunch, and left. When we came back about 4:45 it was right in the middle of the Christmas parade and it was packed. I didn't know how we were going to make it down mainstreet so I asked a CM. We were diverted to the bypass behind mainstreet then crossed over between floats to get to our BB F! reservation. Despite the crazy crowds it was actually pretty easy. We grabbed a FP for IAJ on the way. Having a BB F! reservation on a super crowded night was perfect. Had dinner, looked at shops, rode the railroad to Main Street, watched Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and toured the art gallery, rode the railroad back to NOS to arrive for F!. We watched fireworks from there and loved it. Then we did IAJ (FP) and jungle cruise. At night we didn't do anything with a long line but had a great time. I think if you get there early before rope drop and have a plan, it can be a lot of fun. (I am not a fan of crowds either).

Is it better to do rope drop at the opposite park than the one with EMH? We will be off site and have APs so no early entry for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter