• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For someone with seizure activity Need Ride Help!

amber098724

Earning My Ears
I keep seeing threads about asking help for planning what rides family should or shouldn't ride based on different things going on with them. Well I need help with planning rides.

I have been to disney a few times and would like some help with what rides I should avoid. Recently I've starting having seizure activity going on that I'm trying to control and it has me worried about my upcoming Disney trip in January.

I don't know what brought this activity on since I never had any problems with this up until a few months ago. I can't go see movies because of how bright the lights are, and I tried to go see Wicked last weekend with my family since I had been on medicine and figured it would be okay but all the flashing lights and strobe lights brought the seizure activity on.

So I'm trying to remember what rides I should avoid at each park but I'm having trouble with it. So I just wanted to see if any of you could tell me what rides I should avoid as I don't want to ruin the trip for the rest of my family. Any help would be great :)

I dont know much about it but I'm guessing no 3d shows, maybe avoid pooh?, def avoid space mt., soarin??, thats all i can think of, but im sure others can give more info

Anthing that is going to snap a picture too, like RnRC, TOT, SM, SPlash, etc. The flash used is very strobe like and can trigger an event, if lights do trigger them for you. Sometimes low frequency bass tones can trigger them too, so if they cause them in you too I would not go to any 3D shows that have surround sound with subs.

There's lots more to do though, good luck and have fun!

I have complex partial seizures. I love all attractions at disney. If some of the lighting gets to me i will just close my eyes. I have no trouble with any of the 3-d shows. (only bright flashing lights give me problems) So, i say go, and enjoy yourself!:thumbsup2

Thanks for all the input so far. It's mainly bright lights and strobe lights that bring activity on.

Thanks also lovin diz, I had an appointment with my neurologist yesterday and he told me he would classify them as complex partial seizures.

I'm trying to see the bright side and not see it as a disappointment, it's just that I had been planning this trip for so long before I had this happen to me.

But thanks for the help so far, I'm sure it'll still be a good time.

Since I haven't been there since TSM has been put in, is there any reason I should stay away from it?

Some that I can think of that have strobe lighting or something similar are:

Enchanted Tiki Room ( in the middle )
Space Mountain ( in the beginning )
Snow White Scary Adventures ( towards the end )

TOT ( in the middle )
if lighting can be a problem from the movie screen you may want to avoid The Great Movie Ride since the ending is all movies ( or as pp advised, close your eyes, cause the rest of the ride is pretty good )

No strobes at Test Track, but when you go outside you go from dark to light pretty quick and some of the upper track can resemble strobes.

Have a great trip!

I might also post this on the disAbilities board. Someone may have more tips for you.

This subject is much better suited for the disABILITIES! board, so I've moved this thread. Hopefully you'll get the help you need here. :)

Thanks! I wasn't sure where the best place to post it would be :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I remembered that Test Track takes a picture at the end to so I don't know if that would bother me now. Also the Haunted Mansion is mostly dark during the ride but during the remodel did they add any new sort of effects that would include strobe lights or anything?

The reason I'm worried more so about this is that once I'm on the ride and can't get off, closing my eyes increases how bad I feel. The other problem being once I've had something trigger the activity I seem to feel worse for awhile until it the activity stops :( And I don't want to ruin it for any of us. Thanks for any of the help, its hard to adjust to all this planning when going to disney before we could just do whatever and it wouldn't matter.

WDW doesn't have any actual strobe lights(rhythmic regular flashing). There are a number that have a single flash when a picture is taken. Those are primarily the thrill rides (like roller coasters).

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there are some links in that thread to past threads about seizures at WDW. Those threads have lists of attractions people have noticed flashing lights on.
I'd also suggest going to youtube and searching for some of the different attractions. That will be helpful to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter