For Pooh sized people thinking about the spa.....

ppony

Artist in residence
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Just giving a heads up for those that are say 2-3X and larger that want to use the spa. The robes they have do NOT close around you entirely. Maybe they could on the top but no way on the bottom. I asked before I even disrobed to put it on if it was big enough and she looked at me like I was the first person to EVER ask that question. I kept my shorts on becuase I was only having a facial but had I not been able to, I would have either had to trapse around flapping in the breeze to get to my spa room or had to change IN my room. Which I actually would have preferred in retrospect because, if they have private changing rooms, my consultant didn't tell me. She just make me change in a room w/ everyone else. Sure, SOME people don't mind but I sure as H-E- double hockey-sticks do!:eek: I didn't care for that little extra added humiliation.

There may have been other ways around the humiliation I went through, (It's hard enough being Pooh sized), but my consultant never made me aware of any of them. And honestly, as a spa, a place to make people feel relaxed and comfortable, they should be hyper-sensitive to that kind of body image issue in the first place. My favorite places have been. IMO anyway.

that is harsh! I can't believe that! I actually was hoping to check out the spa but not really into the whole snobby atmosphere

I should add, I liked my facial well enough. ( Nothing like a good facial to show you how much you've aged. :laughing: ) BUT, I had to lay flat, and any Pooh sized woman knows what mass sinks back into your neck when you lay flat. :eek::rolleyes1 It stifles your breathing and circulation a bit and is really uncomfortable. She may have been able to elevate my head a little on the bed, I don't know, but I sure as heck wasn't going to ask! It was embarassing enough.

Oh my gosh - you'd think they would have larger size robes! :(

I have only ever done the massages in the Spa - which allow for disrobing in the massage room - but I'd be livid under those circumstances! I'm so sorry that it was a less than pampering experience for you.

Spa experiences should *always* be about making the client feel relaxed.

Then again, the Spa isn't Disney owned & operated. But that's no excuse to make you feel uncomfortable.

I was just taken aback. I had been through a major ringer by that point on our cruise (see my thread about where I was wondering if cruising wans't for us) and I was completely disheveled by the time I got to the spa. When I made my ressie I was in tears so I was hoping it would help. I would have followed a lemming off a cliff at that point, so beyond asking if the robe was big enough (since it's folded when you get it) I didn't have the presense of mind about me to ask to change elsewhere or think of any other options.

I wish it was Disney owned. I'm sure they kep a pretty tight handle on their guests experiences. Our cruise was mid Nov. and I'm still working on my letter or praise for the CMs but I think that is one thing I'll have to add. I just thought of it this morning as I was using my nice generous size robe after a shower and I thought I should give others a heads up. ;)

I wish it was Disney owned. I'm sure they kep a pretty tight handle on their guests experiences. Our cruise was mid Nov. and I'm still working on my letter or praise for the CMs but I think that is one thing I'll have to add. I just thought of it this morning as I was using my nice generous size robe after a shower and I thought I should give others a heads up. ;)
I don't know that *any* of the spas on any cruiseline is actually owned & run by the cruiseline. I really don't know why. I'm sure there's some reason why it makes sense to all of them to contract it out. It *would* be nice if they were Disney owned, because maybe then they wouldn't be so persistent about hard-selling you products. (I don't know that they do that on DCL, but they have on every other cruise ship I've been on.)

Sayhello

... maybe then they wouldn't be so persistent about hard-selling you products. (I don't know that they do that on DCL, but they have on every other cruise ship I've been on.)

Yes they do...BIG TIME. Even if you write on your comment card, "No sales pitch please!" Oh well. I like the prouducts I bought anyway. ;) I just wish I hadn't had to deal w/ that there. I'm a pushover and was already pretty emotionally weak.

Even the spas at WDW and DL aren't Disney owned.

I went to the spa and got the last robe and it didn't have a tie with it, I had to walk around holding it shut and it just barely shut. Not good in my eye. Sounds like they need more robes that are made for normal people and not sticks.

I was on a cruise with Carnival in 2008 and they had 2 sizes of robes in their spa and they are run by the same same company. That was such a nice spa because in the changing room they had closed off areas with a private shower and changing room for 4 or 5 people to use at the same time. The locker room was about 5 times the size of DCL's and the spa was so much nicer as well.

My Dad had the same problem, went down and they wanted him to change in the dressing room and the robe did not fit. He is a quiet man and didnt say anything and just left, but he sure was ticked. I called and complained and said I was coming later that day and wanted to be able to change in the room. They said that was fine. They must have marked it down, because I never had to mention it when I went. Much nicer, I was having a massage, no reason to go parading around with a robe that does not fit.

Yes, I guess this thread topic has not come up for a while. I have been posting this for years. We were given DCL robes when we renewed our vows and they gave us robes just like the ones in the spa and the ones that are part of the "Romance Package." They are so nicely hanging in our guest closet. I am so top heavy that they would not even half way close around the top of me. When so many posters were talking about how "HUGE" the robes were, I actually took mine out and measured it so that other plus size people would know. Ours sit nice in the closet for guest to use when they are visiting. Just sharing the magic.:goodvibes

Many people are not very sensative to the issue. I always bring my own robes to the spa. I just do not like to deal with the :eek: affect.

That's funny because of the two spa treatments that I had on DCL, they gave me the robe in the facial/massage room and I changed there. Neither time did they send me to the dressing rooms or locker rooms.

Maybe this is a new policy because it has been about 2 years since my last spa visit.

That's funny because of the two spa treatments that I had on DCL, they gave me the robe in the facial/massage room and I changed there. Neither time did they send me to the dressing rooms or locker rooms.

Maybe this is a new policy because it has been about 2 years since my last spa visit.

Massage on the Magic, September 19th, 2009. Was shown to a room, provided with a robe. No changing room offered (or requested).

I wish they had just brought me there like they did you. That's what I've done at other spas for facials. It seemed to me that I was being a bother for even asking about the robe size. Did I have eyes on stalks or something? ;) This is one reason it's SO hard to go to a spa as it is.

Atinkerbellmom, sigh. Apparently things haven't changed since you went last. :( I'll be sure to write. Not that it'll matter.

Thanks for the warning as I may look into some spa treatments while on the Panama cruise.

We had some issues with the Spa on our cruise and robe sizes was one of them. I have to say I was really looking forward to the Spa on my trip, but it ended up being my least favorite part of the cruise. I did communicate my frustration with them and they did take care of me, but I have to say I'm not keen on giving them another shot after the string of mishaps we had. The experience for me was anything but relaxing. If anyone is plus size I would ask to just change in your treatment room if they ask you to change in the locker room area and wait for your spa attendant.

Massage on the Magic, September 19th, 2009. Was shown to a room, provided with a robe. No changing room offered (or requested).

THIS could be the difference. I was on the Wonder. Each one could possibly have different procedures despite being the same company. :confused3

I hate hearing this because they charge double what it costs to have a facial at home. and then they made you feel bad too. That is just not right.

I love massages and the relaxing atmosphere of a spa. And if you do too DON"T do the spa on DCL. I would go to the spa 2/3 time during a cruise (I've done 25 cruises) but the last 2 years the spa has made me feel very uncomfortable and I do believe it's because I'm pooh sized.

With men walking around and the robes not fitting - its embarrassing. I was going for a massage and the rain forest - I was taken into the horrible changing room. The robe didn't fit and I asked for a larger size - the consultant said, "that's what we have" and walked away. I got dressed and left. The manager asked if everything was "okay". I told her how angry I was to no avail. I finally told her I wasn't coming back until they got robes to fit or made the spa "women" only. Well, I returned on my last cruise (Nov 2009) and nothing had changed. Changing room, robes or the attitude of the consultant. And it was the worse massage I'd ever had. The manager don't charge me after I complained.

I have 3 more cruises planned for 2010 and none of them include the spa. And if they can afford to lose my $350-$500 I spend there each cruise - well good for them. I'm not going back.

I love massages and the relaxing atmosphere of a spa. And if you do too DON"T do the spa on DCL. I would go to the spa 2/3 time during a cruise (I've done 25 cruises) but the last 2 years the spa has made me feel very uncomfortable and I do believe it's because I'm pooh sized.

With men walking around and the robes not fitting - its embarrassing. I was going for a massage and the rain forest - I was taken into the horrible changing room. The robe didn't fit and I asked for a larger size - the consultant said, "that's what we have" and walked away. I got dressed and left. The manager asked if everything was "okay". I told her how angry I was to no avail. I finally told her I wasn't coming back until they got robes to fit or made the spa "women" only. Well, I returned on my last cruise (Nov 2009) and nothing had changed. Changing room, robes or the attitude of the consultant. And it was the worse massage I'd ever had. The manager don't charge me after I complained.

I have 3 more cruises planned for 2010 and none of them include the spa. And if they can afford to lose my $350-$500 I spend there each cruise - well good for them. I'm not going back.

SO sorry to hear. :( :guilty: I'm glad you stated your peace though. if they choose to not be friendly to larger sizes, or at least corporate doesn't, well, that's that. But at least you said something. I wish I had.

As a side OT. I've had facials now at 3 different places (DCL being one). Only one of them have I ever had aromatherapy with. Which to ME, makes everything perfect. :cloud9: It was the first place I ever went to and the one I went to many times before I tried another place and then now the DCL one. So I don't know, is aroma therapy something you get more often than not? It was just automatic w/ my first facial place so I didn't know they didn't always have it. I've had it offered (nor have I asked) at the other place or DCL but as I said. I didn't know that it wasn't standard. Is it? Or is it more often not? I certainly know now to ask before hand because it's important to me but I was just wondering. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter