For all you southerners

Yes! And don't forget your feet!

I worked at an outlet mall near the beach in college and I could always spot the tourists by their sunburned feet!

Same for me WRT irritation. Try the Clinique and Neutrogena sticks and see if either one works for you. I'm thrilled to have finally found two I can tolerate!! Try the Neutrogena first--it's cheaper!

Neutrogena is the spray we use. But I haven't tried the stick. I'll definitely pick on up before summer to use on our faces. I mostly have settled on the vampire approach, totally avoiding the sun during the day, only coming out early and late in the day. But sometimes that doesn't do the trick. Thanks for the tip!

One of the reasons I like to do Disney in the winter is that I do fine without sunscreen. But I'm sure it helps a lot that we tend to be more covered with clothing then as well.

Absolutely! We aren't called The Sunshine State for nothing. :beach:

It doesn't have to be hot out to get sunburned, or even damage your skin without a visible burn. My mother has had skin cancer twice now and I wear sunblock every single day of my life.

This question is probably better aimed at Northerners who have been here in December/January. For my family and me, we can be outside all day at the beach from early December through early February and not burn, but that's because we live here and are used to the sun. Then again, I'm going in to get my third round of skin cancer cut out of my scalp later this week, so maybe don't follow my advice! Seriously though, I'd go with a spray on the arms (rub it in after you spray, it seems most people just spray it and leave it) and put some sort of stick on the face. No sense risking it for no reason.

there are still UV rays even if it's not hot and or sunny out. Everyday you should be wearing at least a SPF 15, no matter where you live.

I'm not outside much at all from November through March, so no, no need for sunscreen on a daily basis. I actually could use a little more UV light for vitamin D production. Pittsburgh does not get much these months!

I put some on my face when in Florida though, and arms if it is warm enough to wear a T shirt.

When I go to Disney, I wear tennis shoes, khaki cargo pants, short sleeved shirt and a floppy brim boonie hat. Even when the weather is in the mid 80s, I find this comfortable. The only part of my body that is regularly exposed to the sun is my forearms and they don't really get burned. I would recommend wearing long pants and shoes that cover your feet. If you have pale skin or sunburn easily, then all you would need to worry about is protecting your forearms.

FWIW, I live in Alabama, and even with sunscreen, I end up burning. It just takes longer than if I went without sunscreen. There are also times I wear a long sleeve outdoor shirt made my Magellan if I know i'll be spending time out in the sun.

I understand the importance of spf on a daily basis but I admit I don't wear it. I have very fair skin and freckles and burn within 10 minutes of being in the sun. This past January I did not wear sunscreen once and I didn't burn at all. I brought it just in case and wore it previous trips that I took in May and September. I'm not sure why I didn't burn in January but I was in parks 9-10 days and the temperature was anywhere between 50 and 75 and not so much as rosy cheeks.
This is me. I could give you the answer of "the AMA says you need to have on a shot glass full of sunscreen every day" answer, but it'd be pretty hypocritical of me since I don't wear it every day. I burn pretty darn easily. When we go to Schlitterbahn in the summer, I wear my SPF 100+ and put it on at least every hour and that usually works to keep me from getting sunburned. Otherwise, I could be singing Under The Sea to Ariel with how red I get. In Florida in the winter months, though, I can't think of a time I ever wore sunscreen and I have yet to get burned. Now going off of some of the other responses, Id say that it varies for each person. For me, though, I have never needed it.

I would always recommend wearing sunscreen. I'm bad at practicing what I preach, though. I didn't wear any back in November, and I'm so white that I'm almost transparent. I didn't burn, though. But I don't stand out in the sun, either. I walk or stand in shaded areas as much as possible.

Same for me WRT irritation. Try the Clinique and Neutrogena sticks and see if either one works for you. I'm thrilled to have finally found two I can tolerate!! Try the Neutrogena first--it's cheaper!

Can you tell me more about the Neutrogena sticks? I don't think I've ever seen a stick option. ?:|

its not the temperature but the time of year that determines how strong the sun's rays are, so I was wondering how it was in Florida in December. Here up north we don't get burnt outside during Nov - Feb but when the earth starts getting closer to the sun in March we can get burned skiing. That's why our weather forecasters here give the UV index each day

I had a cousin from Ohio come down around 40 years ago, and it was late December or early January, and she got severely sunburned She has fair skin. So, bring sunscreen!!

Neutrogena is the spray we use. But I haven't tried the stick. I'll definitely pick on up before summer to use on our faces. I mostly have settled on the vampire approach, totally avoiding the sun during the day, only coming out early and late in the day. But sometimes that doesn't do the trick. Thanks for the tip!

One of the reasons I like to do Disney in the winter is that I do fine without sunscreen. But I'm sure it helps a lot that we tend to be more covered with clothing then as well.

This is totally me. If we go in the summer, my favorite time to be at the parks is after dark. And i usually don't hit the pools until 10:00 pm or later when we get back from the parks. Spending an hour putting sunscreen on every exposed inch of skin is not my idea of fun. And without it, I will be as red as a tomato.

In the winter, I am fine without sunscreen, even wearing shorts. I do, however, put sunscreen on my face daily. I highly recommend the Mary Kay primer with SPF. It is seriously the most gentle sunscreen I've ever put on. It feels like velvet. It's pricey, but a little bit goes a long way.

Can you tell me more about the Neutrogena sticks? I don't think I've ever seen a stick option. ?:|
It's 3-4" tall and about half as wide as typical deodorant stick. They're usually with all the other sunscreen. It's very gentle and doesn't even burn when I put it near my eyes and I'm super sensitive there. I highly recommend giving it a shot!

My son has trouble with sunscreen on his face too. We have found the Neutrogena Kids (?) stick works great for him. It is in a small blue package.

its not the temperature but the time of year that determines how strong the sun's rays are, so I was wondering how it was in Florida in December. Here up north we don't get burnt outside during Nov - Feb but when the earth starts getting closer to the sun in March we can get burned skiing. That's why our weather forecasters here give the UV index each day
Not insanely important, but are farther from the sun in spring and summer than fall and winter. The tilt of the earth means you are farther from the sun but have more hours of sunlight. That is why it is warmer those months.

Last edited:

It's 3-4" tall and about half as wide as typical deodorant stick. They're usually with all the other sunscreen. It's very gentle and doesn't even burn when I put it near my eyes and I'm super sensitive there. I highly recommend giving it a shot!

The sticks can be hard to find. I find them more often by children's sunscreen supplies.

I am not going to say that it isn't important, because for all I know it probably is. I use a spray sunscreen, (don't even know what the SPF is) on my bald head when I have been in WDW and I never go there in the summer. Usually January, February or March, but, other then that or if I wear a hate (which is not often) I don't use any at all. I am fortunate that I don't usually burn, but, I do tan easily. One week in WDW and I am noticeably darker then when I got there. Not trying to, mind you, just naturally happens. That said, I guess that there are more instances of skin cancer then ever before so there is no sense taking chances about it. I have had only one severe sunburn in my life and that was when I was 19 years old and spent the day on the beach with no sunscreen at all. What I did from then on was not spend the whole day on the beach exposed to the sun. :)

PS.. I live in the south now, but, the time I'm referring to I was a lifelong resident of northern Vermont, just 30 miles from the Canadian border. It's harder to get much further north and stay in this country. (Maine, maybe)

Just curious if we need sunscreen for WDW in December? We are a pale family from the far north so curious how Florida is during the winter months?

It does depend on the person but, think of it this way - if you don't use it and get burned, you will be uncomfortable for the rest of your trip. So what is the harm in using it each day and feeling great for the entire trip?

I say this because I slather on the screen while the husband says, "eh, just the neck". And we've lived in the Atlanta area for the past 16 years. I just don't go outside very often.

I am a pale skinned redhead that easily burns within 5 mins of being out in the sun. Currently in St Pete area and UV index is moderate so I am sitting on my shaded balcony instead of beach b/c my sis and her kiddos went on a walk (therefore no one to put sunscreen on my back). I will def be wearing suncscreen on my face tomorrow and Sat while in the parks...looks like weather is going to be a little cooler so the next couple days so the rest of me will be covered. My theory is why take the chance....it doesn't hurt to use it, but even skin cancer aside - sunburns hurt.

Fyi - I use non scented Kinesys spray sunscreen. It is pricey, but it comes in on EWG as a 3 for the toxicity level and that is important to me. There are others that are lower, but they are creams and take forever to rub in. This stuff is a pump spray and is fast and easy. I get it on amazon and once one came with a little 1oz bottle which fits perfectly in my purse for park days and reapplying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter