"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Just started our journey! First time drivers! Started out in Harrisburg, PA. Hoping to make it at least to Charlotte tonight and see how feel as to whether we press on or not. :)

Just started our journey! First time drivers! Started out in Harrisburg, PA. Hoping to make it at least to Charlotte tonight and see how feel as to whether we press on or not. :)

We're waiting for your next report: from WDW!

All the best! :thumbsup2

Local Wawa gas price inched up to $1.99 (regular). Down the street, a Delta station offered the same grade for $1.89.

Prices in your neighborhood (especially for those about to depart on a WDW drive)?

Awaiting the latest info from long distance drivers: construction delays, rush hour complications, the I-4 experience, etc.

Found this on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel site, buried a bit: PREFERRED ALTERNATE ROUTE: Travelers may want to consider using US Route 113 in lieu of US Route 13. Though US Route 113 is 1.8 miles longer than US Route 13 in distance, it has only 19 stoplights along the way as opposed to 35. (Italics mine). I think we've had discussions in the past of those who get off I-95 and try Rt. 13. I always remember there seeming to be many traffic lights on Rt. 13, but it's nice to know the count. BUT, big caution for the Rt. 113 alternate would be: don't use this "short-cut" in the summer months. Happy motoring!

Got home last night. We left Disney at 8am and rolled into our driveway at 12:07am so just a tad over 16 hours. We weren't planning to drive non-stop but there was no traffic at all and clear dry weather the whole way so we made great time.

Need opinions for our very unexpected drive! We just decided to do a quick trip to WDW in less than 2 weeks (gotta see these Osbourne Lights one last time...) departing on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We do this in 2 days (leaving from Montreal) and we usually travel down the 81-77-26-95 route (traveling during the summer) and spend the night in VA. I know I-95 should be better in the weekend but I'm not sure if the fact that it's a holiday weekend will affect traffic so much that we should go our usual route. Opinions? We really don't mind the fact that it's a little bit longer (81-77-26) if it saves us from sitting in traffic, and we're used to it. We've gone done I-95 all the way once, on a weekend in March, and even then it was stop-and-go for a while around DC (about 4pm on a Saturday). Experts, let me know what you think! Thanks!

Got home last night. We left Disney at 8am and rolled into our driveway at 12:07am so just a tad over 16 hours. We weren't planning to drive non-stop but there was no traffic at all and clear dry weather the whole way so we made great time.

That is how we judge it too, if we are making good time and will hit DC at a non-peak time we keep going. It has worked out well the last few times. So nice not having any drive that second day, which feels like it takes ten times what it actually does!

Getting prepared for our Winter Holiday to WDW, feeling excited and nervous to drive for the first time. We will be driving from Western Mass. and planning on leaving Christmas afternoon and driving for about 6 hours and then getting a place perhaps in Maryland or PA depending upon our route. The following day (26th) we want to drive the remainder and get to Orlando that evening. Not worried about the actual driving (we have three adult drivers and no small children)... still unsure what route.

What do you think traffic on 95 will be like on Christmas afternoon? Was leaning towards taking 91>95, but don't want to deal with traffic in the CT to NewYork to Washington , Taking 84>81>77>26>95 is a possibility.

I think traffic will be non existent on Christmas afternoon. The 26th may be a bit busier but again I would not expect traffic to be a problem on the interstates.

Need opinions for our very unexpected drive! We just decided to do a quick trip to WDW in less than 2 weeks (gotta see these Osbourne Lights one last time...) departing on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We do this in 2 days (leaving from Montreal) and we usually travel down the 81-77-26-95 route (traveling during the summer) and spend the night in VA. I know I-95 should be better in the weekend but I'm not sure if the fact that it's a holiday weekend will affect traffic so much that we should go our usual route. Opinions? We really don't mind the fact that it's a little bit longer (81-77-26) if it saves us from sitting in traffic, and we're used to it. We've gone done I-95 all the way once, on a weekend in March, and even then it was stop-and-go for a while around DC (about 4pm on a Saturday). Experts, let me know what you think! Thanks!

I would go with what you know best, as long as there's no weather that route. Good luck deciding!

We did the non-stop drive home once and we made it home after 1 a.m. Talk about "The Walking Dead." :crazy2:

All the best. :thumbsup2

We did the non-stop drive home once and we made it home after 1 a.m. Talk about "The Walking Dead." :crazy2:

All the best. :thumbsup2
Yeah, there's that aspect. I was actually feeling pretty well on Monday but when we got into bed that night, I pretty much passed out. Didn't say goodnight to my wife. Didn't turn off the lights. I just went out. She got up, went to the bathroom, turned out the lights, and came back to bed and said I didn't notice a bit.

The worst, though, was the very first time we drove down. We ended up driving straight through to Disney. That was a HUGE mistake. I'd much rather be the "walking dead" at home than on vacation. The main problem was we rolled into town about 7am but didn't have a hotel room until 3pm. Had we been able to crash right away, we probably would have been okay but by the time we actually got into a room, we were barely standing.

Yeah, there's that aspect. I was actually feeling pretty well on Monday but when we got into bed that night, I pretty much passed out. Didn't say goodnight to my wife. Didn't turn off the lights. I just went out. She got up, went to the bathroom, turned out the lights, and came back to bed and said I didn't notice a bit.

The worst, though, was the very first time we drove down. We ended up driving straight through to Disney. That was a HUGE mistake. I'd much rather be the "walking dead" at home than on vacation. The main problem was we rolled into town about 7am but didn't have a hotel room until 3pm. Had we been able to crash right away, we probably would have been okay but by the time we actually got into a room, we were barely standing.

Of our 39 drives to WDW since 2002, we have done 15 "straight-through" drives. Leaving very early in the morning (and sometimes late at night), we arrived at Lake Buena Vista in the evening, zombie tired and promptly going to bed. Of course, we always stay at an off-site hotel in Lake Buena Vista for the first-arrival night (we don't want to pay for a full WDW hotel one-day stay to just sleep; it's too expensive). The next morning, refreshed, we drive 10-15 minutes to our WDW hotel.

However, with all of that said, those "straight-through" drives have taken their toll on us. During our last five drives, we've departed in the morning (from 5:45 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.) and reached our Yulee, FL (right over the border) hotel by around 9:30 p.m. The next morning, a three hour drive to our WDW hotel. That's our plan for drive #40 in January.

Leaving Sunday from Southwest Michigan. 1068 miles each way. 13th trip since May 2013

This will be our first trip with 4 kids. New born, 2yo, 3yo, and 5yo.

We usually drive 69-65-24-75. Mapquest shows I-75 being 5 minutes faster, anyone have experience with that?

Last edited:
Leaving Sunday from Southwest Michigan. 1068 miles each way. 13th trip since May 2013

This will be our first trip with 4 kids. New born, 2yo, 3yo, and 5yo.

We usually drive 69-65-24-75. Mapquest shows I-75 being 5 minutes faster, anyone have experience with that?

I understand, with your normal route, you'd pick up 75 in Chattanooga. With the new route, where would you pick up 75?

I'm very familiar with the drive from Cincinnati to Chattanooga.

I understand, with your normal route, you'd pick up 75 in Chattanooga. With the new route, where would you pick up 75?

I'm very familiar with the drive from Cincinnati to Chattanooga.

Head down to Fort Wayne, take 30 to I 75 near van wert

We did that in our first trip and it was ok, also had weather issues force us to use 75 last year. My memory says it was more city and mountains on 75

Avoid I95 south around and south of DC on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. I got caught in that mess a few years ago on a solo trip using a navigation system I wasn't used to. Before I left home in PA, I95 route was showing as clear. Started hitting heavier traffic midafternoon in MD. By the time I got south of DC, I95 was a parking lot. Side roads were also jammed. Absolute nightmare. I don't think it was from any accident. Just the volume of people returning home after their Thanksgiving trips. We will be traveling next weekend as well, but Black Friday will be our main travel day and we hope to be past DC and Fredericksburg VA by 6am. Safe travels!

Head down to Fort Wayne, take 30 to I 75 near van wert

We did that in our first trip and it was ok, also had weather issues force us to use 75 last year. My memory says it was more city and mountains on 75

I-75 route, you go through Dayton, Cincinnati and Knoxville.

I-65 route, you go through Indianapolis, Louisville and Nashville.

I'd much rather go the 75 route than the 65 route. I hate driving through Nashville. Cincinnati isn't a walk in the park, but I'm used to Cincinnati traffic. Just avoid rush hour.

Regarding mountains on I-75, there is one mountainous stretch of about 30 miles just south of the Kentucky/Tennesse border. Nothing to get worried about. Straight up and straight down. Nothing winding at all.

I've never driven the 65-26 route, but I hear that stretch right before Chattanooga is very winding. The 75 route between Knoxville and Chattanooga is pretty straight. Nothing to worry about.
Good luck, and I hope you get out on Sunday. I heard you're getting some pretty bad snow this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter