For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, let's just say it went like this:

Me: Wow, Disney is running a pretty good deal. We could stay in a Family Suite for a little over $1,000 for the week. Tell me why we shouldn't go!
DH: Why would I do that??
Me: So that means you want to go?
DH: Of course I do, what do you think? When have I ever said I didnt want to go?
Me: Okay!

So, we go online, book the trip and decide to make it a Christmas surprise present for the kids. Plus we'll be there for DD's birthday, like we were 3 years ago on her first trip!

Yeah, stupid question LOL :rotfl: Of course we're driving. Straight through, Saturday to Saturday, can't wait! But can't talk about it either!

Are you going next month? You're talking about this December?

Are you going next month? You're talking about this December?

We're going in January, giving the trip as a surprise to the kids at Christmas. DS has started asking about going again and DD asked wistfully why we have to wait until the summer to go? Yep, these kids are used to going twice a year. 2012 will be another 3-timer now - January, summer and November. Like the ticker says, we're addicted!

We do reserve the right to cancel if the weather looks terrible. We had a really rough time with the drive home last February because of the snow in Virginia and Maryland, which they were totally unprepared for. We don't want that to happen again! Plus, we're buying thermal underwear for this trip.

We're going in January, giving the trip as a surprise to the kids at Christmas. DS has started asking about going again and DD asked wistfully why we have to wait until the summer to go? Yep, these kids are used to going twice a year. 2012 will be another 3-timer now - January, summer and November. Like the ticker says, we're addicted!

We do reserve the right to cancel if the weather looks terrible. We had a really rough time with the drive home last February because of the snow in Virginia and Maryland, which they were totally unprepared for. We don't want that to happen again! Plus, we're buying thermal underwear for this trip.

:lmao: anytime i go to wdw from october to april, i bring winter gear. :thumbsup2 last december was wayyyyyy to cold!!!! i always say, just go!!!! if its not the winter weather its hurrican season or summer vacation season. i just watch the weather channel and adjust by a day or two to get around the weather. three times in one year!!!! once you start, its hard to go back to once a year isnt it? we just did three trips in 10 months (30 nights at wdw) and im having a hard time waiting six months for the next trip.:lmao:

:lmao: anytime i go to wdw from october to april, i bring winter gear. :thumbsup2 last december was wayyyyyy to cold!!!! i always say, just go!!!! if its not the winter weather its hurrican season or summer vacation season. i just watch the weather channel and adjust by a day or two to get around the weather. three times in one year!!!! once you start, its hard to go back to once a year isnt it? we just did three trips in 10 months (30 nights at wdw) and im having a hard time waiting six months for the next trip.:lmao:

One of the advantages of driving is the ability to make that change-in-travel-plans adjustment based on weather conditions.

Now then, with all of your trips [see dvczerf's impressive all-time record on the first post of this thread], have you spent a year of your life in WDW?

All the best. :thumbsup2

One of the advantages of driving is the ability to make that change-in-travel-plans adjustment based on weather conditions.

Now then, with all of your trips [see dvczerf's impressive all-time record on the first post of this thread], have you spent a year of your life in WDW?

yes i have. :sad2: :lmao:i tried to figure it out last year on the disdads thread. i figured ive been to the parks well over a year. in the 70s, we would only go for a few days a trip because the mk was the only thing there. i can prove 302 nights as a dvc member. i have every wecoming pack i ever got as a dvc member. off the top ofmy head, ive stayed on property for atleast 10years before we joined dvc. so im pushing easy 400 nights. before that, we stayed at the days inn in rt 192. back than rt 192 was a two lane road. alot of it was an orange grove. there wasnt much around in the early to mid 70s. i have pics of tammy standing in front of the welcome to walt disney world sign on the main road into the mk. you use to tune the radio in on an a.m station and they would tell you where to rent strollers and how to get tickets. i have that recording on casette tape. :lmao: we taped it off the car radio on our honeymoon. :lmao: (that was in 1985) alot has changed!!!! most of it for the good. :thumbsup2

Hi there:wizard:

Were leaving next week too, on Sunday morning (my ticker is off by 1 but i dont mind it lying to me ;) ) We are in Delaware County, PA right over the bridge! Our plan is nearly identical to yours, were leaving at 4:30 AM Sunday morning and driving to Savannah where we'll be staying the night, up and out early the next AM around 5 or 6 or so, and then straight to check in and get ready for Hoop dee doo!! I cant wait either!!!!!

As far as the stay on the way back...we just drive straight through for that one. No one ever wants to go home:sad1: and delaying that process is kinda like ripping off a band aid real slow. lol we just like to get it over with so it hurts less! :laughing: Safe travels, have fun, and who knows, we might even cross paths!!! :wizard:

Have a safe trip!!! Be sure to post a trip report when you return! We are leaving on 12/7, hopefully by 6:00 AM and my husband wants to try to make it into Orlando within 14 hours. Sixteen hours is usually what it takes for us to get from Aston to Orlando though, including rest room and fuel breaks.
We shall see! He knows that I will nag him if he speeds.

yes i have. :sad2: :lmao:i tried to figure it out last year on the disdads thread. i figured ive been to the parks well over a year. in the 70s, we would only go for a few days a trip because the mk was the only thing there. i can prove 302 nights as a dvc member. i have every wecoming pack i ever got as a dvc member. off the top ofmy head, ive stayed on property for atleast 10years before we joined dvc. so im pushing easy 400 nights. before that, we stayed at the days inn in rt 192. back than rt 192 was a two lane road. alot of it was an orange grove. there wasnt much around in the early to mid 70s. i have pics of tammy standing in front of the welcome to walt disney world sign on the main road into the mk. you use to tune the radio in on an a.m station and they would tell you where to rent strollers and how to get tickets. i have that recording on casette tape. :lmao: we taped it off the car radio on our honeymoon. :lmao: (that was in 1985) alot has changed!!!! most of it for the good. :thumbsup2

A year at WDW! Impressive. :worship:

We are probably at the 300-day or so mark. Our last 30 trips have been week-long stays, but our earlier visits were shorter.

Hmm. Time to add up the dollars spent! :scared1:

Question for those who make a one-night stayover in Savannah: If you are not doing anything other than securing a room for an overnight sleep on the way to WDW, why are you stopping in Savannah? Doesn't it add about a hour to your total drive? Wouldn't it be better to reserve a hotel/motel room a few hundred yards off an I-95 exit? Savanah's a great place to spend some time in but it appears to be a bit off the path when considering time.

Please advise. [We're actually planning an extended stay in Savannah.]

A year at WDW! Impressive. :worship:

We are probably at the 300-day or so mark. Our last 30 trips have been week-long stays, but our earlier visits were shorter.

Hmm. Time to add up the dollars spent! :scared1:

i dont want to think about the dollars spent.:rolleyes1 but, ive spent $280 per night to stay in a flee bag hotel at the shore. ive also spent $8 for a slice of pizza on the board walk. so the way i look at it, dollar for dollar, apples for apples, no offense, but they can keep the shore. :thumbsup2 my mother-in-law is a disney non believer. they have a house in cape may. (i havnt seen it in 10 years. the next time i plan to see it is to put a for sale sign on it when they are no longer around :lmao:) but for what they pay in taxes per year, much less other expenses, i could take two more disney vacations a year for that kind of money.

I know, December was way too brutal but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was an anamoly. We have to go twice in a year, I think that's the minimum. We started that in 1988 and haven't looked back LOL. This year we only did June and we're all missing it.

With the kids, we did 2 trips in '09; 3 trips in '10; and 1 in '11 - crazy! So we'll make it up with 3 trips in '12 :lmao:

The plan is thermal underwear, hats and gloves and the winter coats in the van if necessary. DH says the thermals are what saved him last December so this time we'll all have them.

I know, December was way too brutal but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was an anamoly. We have to go twice in a year, I think that's the minimum. We started that in 1988 and haven't looked back LOL. This year we only did June and we're all missing it.

With the kids, we did 2 trips in '09; 3 trips in '10; and 1 in '11 - crazy! So we'll make it up with 3 trips in '12 :lmao:

The plan is thermal underwear, hats and gloves and the winter coats in the van if necessary. DH says the thermals are what saved him last December so this time we'll all have them.

All Decembers are not created equal in Lake Buena Vista and early December is a bit warmer that late December.

During our Dec. 5-11, 2011 visit it was shorts every day for me, even a short sleeve shirt one day. Most of the time it was a long sleeve shirt or a light pullover during the day, but we needed jackets or light coats at night. And one night during MVMCP we needed multiple layers. But it seeemed to be the appropriate clothing once the "snow" starting fall on Main Street!

During the drive down, the temperatures increased. And at each stop we could sense approaching Florida.

We did a 7 night DCL cruise that left the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2009. We left to drive down on Thanksgiving Eve and arrived late Thanksgiving Day. When we left PA we needed our winter coats and clothes. As we got closer to Florida we started to shed and for the 1 day in the park before the cruise we were in shorts. Same for the cruise. When we got back to Port Canaveral in early December it was raining, cold & miserable. We stayed at WDW for another day in the parks before heading home & boy was I thankful I had the winter clothes and coat. I didn't have gloves with me so I had to keep my hands in my pockets. There was a lady & her 3 kids at the bus stop who were dressed in shorts and T-shirts. The kids had goosebumps on goosebumps & the Mom kept telling them they would warm up once they got to the park. NOT!!!!!!!!! I couldn't understand why she didn't try to at least get them sweatshirts somewhere. We were at Double Tree DTD and there are stores at the Crossroads.

We had gone over New Years in 2004-2005 and it was so warm in PA when we left that we just needed sweatshirts. We took the warm coats along because we figured when we came back it would be colder & we were right. It was mostly in the 70s during the day & 50s at night down there that year.

We are planning on leaving on New Years Eve this year to drive down. I'm hoping the weather is as good as 2004-2005 or at least not bad so we have a reasonable drive down & back. Wish us luck. I haven't booked anything yet, cause I want to see how November & most of December pan out.

We are planning on leaving on New Years Eve this year to drive down. I'm hoping the weather is as good as 2004-2005 or at least not bad so we have a reasonable drive down & back. Wish us luck. I haven't booked anything yet, cause I want to see how November & most of December pan out.

A New Year's Eve drive has that built-in factor of probably more than usual DWI/DUI drivers in the early morning hours of the new year. Take care.

Question for those who make a one-night stayover in Savannah: If you are not doing anything other than securing a room for an overnight sleep on the way to WDW, why are you stopping in Savannah? Doesn't it add about a hour to your total drive? Wouldn't it be better to reserve a hotel/motel room a few hundred yards off an I-95 exit? Savanah's a great place to spend some time in but it appears to be a bit off the path when considering time.

Please advise. [We're actually planning an extended stay in Savannah.]

I think when people are saying they are stopping in Savannah they mean right off of I95, not going into the city. There are tons of hotels on I95 that are in "Savannah".

All Decembers are not created equal in Lake Buena Vista and early December is a bit warmer that late December.

During our Dec. 5-11, 2011 visit it was shorts every day for me, even a short sleeve shirt one day. Most of the time it was a long sleeve shirt or a light pullover during the day, but we needed jackets or light coats at night. And one night during MVMCP we needed multiple layers. But it seeemed to be the appropriate clothing once the "snow" starting fall on Main Street!

During the drive down, the temperatures increased. And at each stop we could sense approaching Florida.

We were there last year Dec 4-11 and it was brutal! I guess you're anticipating something warmer this year ;) But seriously, when were you there in December? We froze all last year at Christmastime, based on the photo of DVCZerfs and me - we are all bundled up as much as could be, I think I have three sweatshirts on at the time! We had to leave the Candlelight Processional after 15 minutes because we couldn't stand the cold and wind.

I think when people are saying they are stopping in Savannah they mean right off of I95, not going into the city. There are tons of hotels on I95 that are in "Savannah".

It's more expensive around the Savannah exit, though. Depends on what you need to feel comfortable.

The good thing about Savannah is that we can take the girl scout troop for a pilgrimage to the birthplace of Scouts, then Disney World is just a few hours away!! Convenient!

Well, I am taking the plunge and joining this thread! ;) We will be making our second driving journey to the World this December!:cool1: I think we have finally decided to that we are going to leave around 3 am on December 9 and drive straight through from Bryan/College Station TX. Joining me on this adventure will be my mom, my dad, DD(9), DS(11) and DD(5). I honestly can not wait to get this roadtrip started!! :woohoo:

Any suggestions on how to keep the car as clutter free as possible? :confused3 We are driving my Expedition and are planning on having all the luggage in a roof rack bag. There is not much room behind the third row so it will consist of an umbrella stroller, and food that we are carrying down for our family suite along with any thing else we can cram back there!!

So looking forward to reading this thread and see how all you "professional" road trippers handle the drives!:surfweb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter