• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will look for a report on Sunday. There is a lot of construction on 81 in NEPA so I am hoping to be on the road by 5 AM and out of PA by 8 AM.

Have a safe trip!

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look for a report on Sunday. There is a lot of construction on 81 in NEPA so I am hoping to be on the road by 5 AM and out of PA by 8 AM.

Have a safe trip!

Hi! :wave2:
Not sure if you saw dvczerfs reply to me, but he suggested taking 33 to 78 to 81. Not sure where you are in NEPA though. If you are closer to the Scranton area it wouldn't make sense to come all the way down to 33..
Just thought I'd throw that out there incase it helps.
Have a great trip!!!

I am looking forward to our trip in soon to Scranton, PA. Family and I are going to Steamtown and maybe do some shopping. Any construction I should be aware of?
?

i cant text from the road. no texting and driving!:lmao: i think we are going to bring the lap top anyway. we dont get free internet (we are not staying on points at a dvc resort) so i have to pay for it and im cheap.:lmao:

If you see my van on the road and drive REAL CLOSE, I'll let you onto my Virgin Mobile internet router. :rotfl:I can run up to 5 devices. $50 for the month, so I'm using it for the road, the entire trip in the room, and whatever extra time is left. Then I'll put it away for the next road trip.

That way, DD can watch some Infinity TV, do her Moshi Monsters or whatever other she wants - anything to keep her busy since we're driving straight through!

Found this thread and wanted to say "hi". We'll be driving 2799 miles round trip in February!

Welcome to the nicest and most informative thread on the DISboards. Ask anything, there's always someone who can help with a question, problem. We like to have fun too, a pretty goofy bunch. :goofy:

Took this route Friday of Memorial Day weekend. Going down was OK, but we left at 9:30 pm. We came home a slightly different way because we had a stop over in Georgia for 3 nights. From there we took 85-77-81 route. Drove from 9:30 am Monday to 1:30 am Tuesday to PA. Truck traffic is fairly heavy, but construction wasn't causing delays. There were a few areas we had to slow down, but never stop & go.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get down there? We are leaving on a Friday around 7 or 8 pm probably, which will put us in the Valley around 9ish. When I google this route it says 19 hours, 18 mins. Wondering how acurate that is.

Thanks!:thumbsup2

I am looking forward to our trip in soon to Scranton, PA. Family and I are going to Steamtown and maybe do some shopping. Any construction I should be aware of?
?

I'm too far away from there to know anything about construction. I'm sorry. I'm sure there will be someone who can give you some info though.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get down there? We are leaving on a Friday around 7 or 8 pm probably, which will put us in the Valley around 9ish. When I google this route it says 19 hours, 18 mins. Wondering how acurate that is.

i can do it in 17 hours but i dont stop. only for gas and a rest stop evey so often. (and those are quick):thumbsup2

i cant text from the road. no texting and driving!:lmao: i think we are going to bring the lap top anyway. we dont get free internet (we are not staying on points at a dvc resort) so i have to pay for it and im cheap.:lmao:

Voice recognition technology:goodvibes

I'm the passenger so that's why I could email while on the road. That being said, am I still allowed on the driving thread even though I only ride and sleep:rotfl:

I payed for internet for 3 nights. But I had a couple of things I had to do for work so I needed to get on vs. being able to just use the smart phone.

I have texting blocked on my phone. I got something from face book about a year and a half ago and ended up getting charged 9.99 a month for a couple of months. I'm worse than the kids so I had to block myself.:rolleyes1

We left at 9:30 pm Friday & got to Melbourne, FL (we were going on a DCL cruise out of Port Canaveral the next morning) at around 7:30-8:00 pm Saturday. Not sure of the exact time, but it was still light out. We did sleep in a secure rest stop in Georia for a few hours during the night, because we are getting older & can't handle going quite straight through anymore. The eyes start to bug out & we need to give them a rest. We switch drivers about every 2-3 hours. It is easier to recuperate with a little sleep while the other is driving. When we first started driving down we used to do 6 hour stretches before switching, but we find that the shorter amount of time actually lets the eyes recuperate faster. Also, at around 6 hours we both found we were getting the "jolts". Your body just twitches and it affects the steering. When DH jolted it used to scare me awake. By swithching more often we find that doesn't happen.

We usually take food with us for the drive, so we eat at the rest stops during potty breaks. We may stop for breakfast or lunch at a fast food place if we feel we need a longer break or need something more substantial than snacks. We always have sodas, pretzels, cookies, fruit & other snack stuff that we can even eat while driving and of course the WAWA Cappachino to start the trip & the half gallon of WAWA coffee to drink when the other is gone. We find that the flavored (we like French Vanilla) coffees taste better even when lukewarm or reheated. The regular coffees start to taste like acid. We also bought a small container of French Vanilla creamer and grab a cup full of sugars to go with the 1/2 gallon of coffee.

Have a safe trip!

You will also find some construction in the Chambersburg area.

Welcome to the nicest and most informative thread on the DISboards. Ask anything, there's always someone who can help with a question, problem. We like to have fun too, a pretty goofy bunch. :goofy:

What's the air speed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

If you see my van on the road and drive REAL CLOSE, I'll let you onto my Virgin Mobile internet router. :rotfl:I can run up to 5 devices. $50 for the month, so I'm using it for the road, the entire trip in the room, and whatever extra time is left. Then I'll put it away for the next road trip.

Hmmmm, that may be the perfect thing to get to entertain our teenagers on the road......I am staying on points, say I get internet in the room. Just wondering if $50 is too much too spend to entertain two 17 year olds on a 2000 mile trip.....:banana:
Where can one find this magical device???

well, im off to work than on the road at 2pm. hoprfully to you all on sunday!:thumbsup2

Hopefully, our paths (along with sharadoc) will cross this time. You will have a head start on us travel-wise. Have a safe an uneventful drive.

All the best. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter