For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay less than 72 hours and we leave:cool1:

Of course due to a couple of unforseen trips to Doctors and ERs (everyone is fine, I'm being overly cautious because of the trip, one twisted ankle (DP) and one nasty cut on a toe (DS)) so I am behind schedule on packing and getting the car cleaned out.

We are probably going to leave a little later than originally planned. Our new estimated time of departure is about noon from a place aoubt 10 miles north and west of our house (having to do with want to support family in a new business venture before hitting the road), but close to 390 which feeds to 15.
So we may set down in Hargerstown Friday, it'll all depend on traffic and weather.

I'll post when we finailly get out of town on Friday. Safe travels to all setting out in the next few days.

have a great time:cool1:

Sometimes things have to be placed in perspective. Traffic jams and high gasoline prices pale in comparsion to the suffering experienced by those who have been devasted by the tornado epidemic that continues to generate havoc across this nation. And then there are those who have been affected by the flood waters of the Mississippi River.

So when you're on your 2,000+ mile round-trip drive, gives thanks that you and your familly are traveling to WDW. We do.

All the best. :thumbsup2

IndyDisney - we'll be driving from Pittsburgh in less than 2 weeks.

We're planning on taking the 79-19-77 trip through WV.

I searched this thread and wasn't able to find much about that route but I'll be sure to post here either during or after our trip to let you know how it worked for us.

This is the route we are taking in August so I will be curious how it goes for you. We are east of Pittsburgh, google maps says about 983 miles each way.

Sometimes things have to be placed in perspective. Traffic jams and high gasoline prices pale in comparsion to the suffering experienced by those who have been devasted by the tornado epidemic that continues to generate havoc across this nation. And then there are those who have been affected by the flood waters of the Mississippi River.

So when you're on your 2,000+ mile round-trip drive, gives thanks that you and your familly are traveling to WDW. We do.

Agreed. We have had minor annoyances over the last couple of days but nothing earth shattering. And I have thought about all of those affected by the floods, torandoes and thunderstorms. Life is too short and precious.

I can't believe that we are so close to leaving and I havn't packed a thing....not good. I started working prn and doing both monday and today has put me way way behind. This is going to be our first drive down and our first cruise, so I am a little excited....but due to my lay off last month and a broken dishwasher I canceled the parasailing.....I so wanted to do that one, but next time.

Any updates for the indiana drivers going south?

Agreed. We have had minor annoyances over the last couple of days but nothing earth shattering. And I have thought about all of those affected by the floods, torandoes and thunderstorms. Life is too short and precious.

Well said.

Okay less than 72 hours and we leave:cool1:

Of course due to a couple of unforseen trips to Doctors and ERs (everyone is fine, I'm being overly cautious because of the trip, one twisted ankle (DP) and one nasty cut on a toe (DS)) so I am behind schedule on packing and getting the car cleaned out.

We are probably going to leave a little later than originally planned. Our new estimated time of departure is about noon from a place aoubt 10 miles north and west of our house (having to do with want to support family in a new business venture before hitting the road), but close to 390 which feeds to 15.
So we may set down in Hargerstown Friday, it'll all depend on traffic and weather.

I'll post when we finailly get out of town on Friday. Safe travels to all setting out in the next few days.

I'm near Hagerstown. Are you the one that posted that there's a place you like to stop there for eggplant parmagiana? If so, I'd really like to know the name of the restaurant. Safe travels!

I'm near Hagerstown. Are you the one that posted that there's a place you like to stop there for eggplant parmagiana? If so, I'd really like to know the name of the restaurant. Safe travels!

Yes, I am and I remember I was going to look it up and post it. But I couldn't figure out where it was. Maybe Tony's but I'm not sure now. We've haven't been through there in a couple of years. Whereever it was they had a couple of locations in/near Hagerstown. We stay at the Hampton Inn listed as Hagerstown/Mauginsville (sp). Whereever it is the eggplant is sliced thin and the long way vs. being thick round slices so its not mushy. And I liked the sauce. If we end up there again and find it, I'll let you know for sure.

At this point I think we're going to be lucky to make it to Williamsport, PA. The week continued to be crazy and here I am not packed (somewhat but not as far along as I'd hope to be), I need to clean before we leave and the kids are performing at "Arts Night" at school tonight. This morning DP and I along with a few other parents put on an annual Teacher/Staff Aprreciation Breakfast at school so last night and this morning were a wash as far as getting any packing done. Though I did manage to get the car seats car (for the neighbor kids we take to school) and our folding chairs for soccer out of the car and fold the seats down. It's a start. The kids' main suitcases are packed, I have to sort out our suitcase and the travel suitcase and then pick up all the extra clothes laying around. And speaking of soccer I need to throw a couple of balls in for the kids to kick around at rest stops.

And in writing this I just realized we still need to get the oil changed:scared1:

Oh well. Another reason to drive, if we were flying I wouldn't be ready on time.

Since my last post, I decided to take a 1/2 day. I got the oil changed, the car washed and the tank filled. Now to cut the grass and get back to packing.

See you on the road...:drive:

Thanks to our nation's veterans for giving us the freedom to enjoy our 2,000+ mile round-trip drives to WDW!! Happy Memorial Day!

All the best! :thumbsup2

Riding in a car for so long can make one, well...., sore.

I've seen foam, gel and even wire cushions. Any recommendation for seat cushions?

25 miles down 1,225 to go. We officially left town at 1:08pm after making a couple of stops. We picked up food for lunch . I'll let you know where we land tonight.

25 miles down 1,225 to go. We officially left town at 1:08pm after making a couple of stops. We picked up food for lunch . I'll let you know where we land tonight.

Cool!

Keep us all posted when you land!

Gas is down 20 cents in the last 2 weeks :cool1: I have now saved a whopping $10 on my trip each way!

We made it to Fredericksburg at 10:30 last night. Drove 467 mi. Got waylaid by some Tstorms & slow going on 17 with deer. It's all interstate now &right now blue skies& sunshine. I'll che k in tonight.

We made it to Fredericksburg at 10:30 last night. Drove 467 mi. Got waylaid by some Tstorms & slow going on 17 with deer. It's all interstate now &right now blue skies& sunshine. I'll che k in tonight.

Exciting! Will you get to Disney tonight, or one more stop? I think Fredericksburg is about 12 hours away from WDW!

Safe trip!

I had to share our recent trip home from WDW as I learned a few tips for our long distance drives. We drove down 24 hours straight with my husband and I taking turns driving. Uneventful trip, minus the views off 95 of tornado damage :scared1: Mid trip my husband flew home as planned and a few days later I drove home alone with the kids ages 5 & 9. We live in northern new england and my plan was up 95 to DC and then shoot up into PA around to 84 through CT. The weather was perfect, the kids fabulous. The first day I managed 10 hours with no problems. The kids and I actually had a fun time. Then we spent a very looooong night in a hotel room with a bar on one side and a train crossing on the other :sick: You cannot say "whoohooo" near my kids or they laugh insanely about the crazy drunk man we heard half the night. Maybe it was not a bar but the people were trashed and LOUD. No sleep that night. The next day by noon we were in Gettysburg and I was sick. Like really sick with a high fever. The only reason I kept going was that I could stop in PA with two kids in a hotel in a strange place or push on to the CT boarder and crash at my moms. The last 3 hours were the worst. My oldest sat in the back reading off the GPS every minute. "one hour and fifty two minutes to grandmas"...."one hour and fifty one minutes to grandmas". I was popping advil and anything cold on my throat. I do not think I have ever been so happy to see the Welcome to CT sign in my life :laughing: We finally reached my moms and I passed out. She and the kids had 2 days of grandma time while I was diagnosed with antibiotic resistant strep throat and pink eye :sad2: I was so glad I pressed on. Though had she not been that close I would have stopped earlier in the day and probably had a fun time with the boys trying to locate a walk in clinic. Once I was better we packed up and continued the last 4 hours home.

What an ending to a trip. It certainly made me think a little more about what I need to have on hand "just in case". Granted I could have found a drugstore but in rural PA it was much easier to pull advil out of the back of the car. I am thinking through a more stocked medical pack for the car. Things like advil, childrens tylenol and pepto bismol are normal for us. But I am going to expand on my medical bag next time. Also more of things. Usually I have a tiny baggie of advil but for some unknown reason I had one of those 500 pill containers. So glad I did.

This was the first trip the kids had control over the snacks and it worked out very well. I had packed more then we needed but it gave them lots of choices. I also never limited it. My 5 yr old loved being in control of it and me having to ask him for things. I had made it clear from the start that with just me I needed more help and they really stepped up and did their part. I think the responsibility made a big difference. Granted my 5 yr old had his moments but nothing out of the norm.

A friend also gave me a kids scavenger hunt card game. I need to buy her dinner. It is a deck of cards with things to find on each card like " a dog in a car" or "a red truck". Stuff you see on the highway. In front of the car with me I had a surprise goodie bag of little toys and candies. I would give each child 5-7 cards and the first one to find all their items won. I would hand the winner two prizes, they kept their first choice and the looser got the other item. My boys were begging to play.

I also crossed a certain exit in NC off our list of places to stay overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter