• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We here are in need of a 2,000+ mile round-trip WDW drive. It's as simple as that. No need for sympathy, though; only the calendar can cure our "ills."

All the best. :thumbsup2

Found this on page two that can't be:scared1:

Indeed!

Let's cure that with this question: How many of you 2,000+ mile round trip drivers have done a "straight-through" drive, i.e., from your home to WDW/Lake Buena Vista in one day/one driving period?

Indeed!

Let's cure that with this question: How many of you 2,000+ mile round trip drivers have done a "straight-through" drive, i.e., from your home to WDW/Lake Buena Vista in one day/one driving period?

We've done it several times. On the way back, too. But driving home is much harder because we are so exhausted from walking in the parks for days!

Our last drive we left Massachusetts at 6 p.m. and arrived around 7 p.m. in Orlando the next night. We had two doggies that needed several stops along the way. Definitely slowed us down.

Indeed!

Does that count for napping in rest stops along the way. We usually don't stop at a hotel along the way, but we do stop in secure rest stops (ones that have signs saying they are patrolled by State Police. We usually park under a light & put up our sunscreens to block out the light. We rarely stop at hotels or motels, because I am afraid to leave all our stuff in the car unattended.

Hello! I love this thread, it is so helpful.

We, me, my mom, my sister and my 3 year old, are checking into POR on May 28th and we are going to drive. I am looking forward to it! We live in southern PA in Hanover (right near Gettysburg). I want to get most of the driving done the first day, check into a hotel fairly early and relax with only about 2 hours to drive the next day. We plan on leaving between 10pm and 11pm on the 26th and drive overnight. My daughter gets carsick so I am sure we will have to stop every few hours and give her a break. I was wondering where a good place to stop would be. I was thinking maybe the Ormond Beach, FL area? We will need to make reservations before we go because it is Memorial Day weekend. Hoping that leaving at that time will help us stay ahead of alot of the holiday traffic.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Indeed!

ive done a few. :thumbsup2

We, me, my mom, my sister and my 3 year old, are checking into POR on May 28th and we are going to drive. I am looking forward to it! We live in southern PA in Hanover (right near Gettysburg). I want to get most of the driving done the first day, check into a hotel fairly early and relax with only about 2 hours to drive the next day. We plan on leaving between 10pm and 11pm on the 26th and drive overnight. My daughter gets carsick so I am sure we will have to stop every few hours and give her a break. I was wondering where a good place to stop would be. I was thinking maybe the Ormond Beach, FL area? We will need to make reservations before we go because it is Memorial Day weekend. Hoping that leaving at that time will help us stay ahead of alot of the holiday traffic.

im not sure which way your going or how fast you drive, but stopping evey two hours or so and no traffic, i would say about 18 hours total.(i do it in 16 1/2 but i dont stop that much and i tend to lean on the speed limits.:lmao:) when you hit the florida boarder you have about 2-21/2 hours to go. i would stop in souther ga . if you make it to ormond beach, i would drive the rest of the way in, your not that far at that point. we have stayed on rt192 overnight all ready becausr we drove straight through and didnt plan on it. what ever you do, plan ahead, call for any hotel resis. now! things get filled up fast that time of year.:thumbsup2

Does that count for napping in rest stops along the way. We usually don't stop at a hotel along the way, but we do stop in secure rest stops (ones that have signs saying they are patrolled by State Police. We usually park under a light & put up our sunscreens to block out the light. We rarely stop at hotels or motels, because I am afraid to leave all our stuff in the car unattended.

A good question. But you're okay on this one. Napping at a rest stop doesn't negate a "straight-through" drive since stopping for a meal along the way can be longer than a short sleep break. Naps are essential and they promote safe driving.

A good question. But you're okay on this one. Napping at a rest stop doesn't negate a "straight-through" drive since stopping for a meal along the way can be longer than a short sleep break. Naps are essential and they promote safe driving.

We rarely stop for meals, and if we do it is BK, McD or Popeyes. DH packs sandwiches, sodas, snacks & breakfast foods that we eat at the rest stops. It usually takes us about 20 hours, but we usually stay pretty close to the speed limit. I don't want my vacation ruined by a ticket or an accident. Since we are an older couple, we tend to take our time and enjoy the ride.

im not sure which way your going or how fast you drive, but stopping evey two hours or so and no traffic, i would say about 18 hours total.(i do it in 16 1/2 but i dont stop that much and i tend to lean on the speed limits.:lmao:) when you hit the florida boarder you have about 2-21/2 hours to go. i would stop in souther ga . if you make it to ormond beach, i would drive the rest of the way in, your not that far at that point. we have stayed on rt192 overnight all ready becausr we drove straight through and didnt plan on it. what ever you do, plan ahead, call the any hotel resis. now! things get filled up fast that time of year.:thumbsup2

Thanks for your input! After Washington I plan on going down I-95 to I-4. I will look into staying over in Georgia. Thanks again!

The two towns that have a lot of hotels near the Georgia border are Kingsland and Brunswick. Kingsland is only about 10-15 minutes from Florida and Brunswick is a little further north. Both have a lot of hotels.

Hi! I'm probably about as far to the west of Gettysburg as you are to the east.

We stayed at Ormond Beach last November. A space shuttle launch was scheduled and I thought this would be a great place to be to see it, plus I would get a little bit of beach time. (Shuttle launch was canceled, so that was a big disappointment.) I chose our lodging based on TripAdvisor reviews. It was supposedly the best place to stay in Ormond Beach, but we were totally disappointed with it. So be careful about your choices there. I've seen other posts since then here on the DIS that basically say that there really isn't a good place to stay in that area. I agree with the others, if you are that close to Disney, just keep on going. Or else stop just before the FL border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter