• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Foods states are "known" for

My Aunt is from NE Pennsylvania (Hazleton) and they love their cabbage. They make a dish called halushki and one named halupki. They both stink to high heaven, but they are delicious. And they eat pierogies. Lots of them.

They also eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year’s Day and Kielbasa on Easter.

I like to visit PA to eat:rotfl:

ETA-How could I forget about Bleenies. Potato cakes dripping in oil!!

You are correct on all of that!
Feel free to come and visit me and I will make it all for you!

akhenaten said:
Sorry but I have lived in north jersey for 50 years and we call them heros.....and yep. We ask for an Italian hero at all of our local delis and our local pizza place... They do not have numbers... But I will go in tomorrow and tell them they are not authentic... Lol

And you can find lots of things in stores... That does not mean the state is known for them...

I call them Italian heros too(Bergen County, NJ , born and raised), other things..I'll say meatball sub, chicken parm sandwich..

I do call it grilling or barbecuing, but I'm not making the good BBQ, just cooking on the grill. LOL

JVL1018 said:
I call them Italian heros too(Bergen County, NJ , born and raised), other things..I'll say meatball sub, chicken parm sandwich..

I do call it grilling or barbecuing, but I'm not making the good BBQ, just cooking on the grill. LOL

In South Jersey we call them subs

My Aunt is from NE Pennsylvania (Hazleton) and they love their cabbage. They make a dish called halushki and one named halupki. They both stink to high heaven, but they are delicious. And they eat pierogies. Lots of them.

They also eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year’s Day and Kielbasa on Easter.

I like to visit PA to eat:rotfl:

ETA-How could I forget about Bleenies. Potato cakes dripping in oil!!

this basically describes my neck of the woods...:thumbsup2 I'm only 15min south of hazelton down 81. Dont forget the bean soup... I'm already missing summer block parties... :sad:

http://www.coalregion.com/recipes.php here is a link to a coal region recipe book if you'd like to try and make them at home yourself... :)

Gosh, I can't think of one for Michigan. Not a prepared food anyway.

I know Michigan grows a lot of apples and cherries though, and makes a lot of wine. :)

Cherries immediately popped into my mind when you said Michigan.

Jim

Philly- pretzels and cheesesteaks, Tastykakes

NJ- pork roll, blueberries

For Philly you forgot scrapple.

NJ-also cranberries and of course tomatoes.

Huh? I lived in NJ for two years and for the last 25 have had a shore house there and have NEVER heard of either of these things. [ Taylor ham/pork roll]

Pork roll is available all over NJ but it's largely a Trenton area thing.

Jim

IIRC the state food of Oklahoma is the Indian Taco. Haven't had one in years but they are tasty!!

Kentucky is being forgotten here, sure there's fried chicken but that's not our signature thing.
The Hot Brown.
Derby Pie
Mint Julip
Burgoo
Stack Cakes
Benedictine
Pork Chop sandwiches

NC: Mt. Olive pickles
Carolina Treet BBQ sauce
Pepsi
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
Boiled peanuts
Neck bones and rice
Chicken Bog
Strawberries
sweet potatoes
Muscadine grapes

frequency said:
Kentucky is being forgotten here, sure there's fried chicken but that's not our signature thing.
The Hot Brown.
Derby Pie
Mint Julip
Burgoo
Stack Cakes
Benedictine
Pork Chop sandwiches

What are all of what you listed (minus the mint Julip!) ?

LBIJim said:
For Philly you forgot scrapple.

NJ-also cranberries and of course tomatoes.

Pork roll is available all over NJ but it's largely a Trenton area thing.

Jim
Oh yeah, scrapple *gag* lol!

What about salt water taffy?!?

The pizza you are describing sounds like the kind you buy frozen in the store....minimal toppings.....but I'm sure New York Pizza is better than that.:dance3:
I checked Yelp, just one out of 139 area pizza places claims to be authentic New York Pizza....according to several reviews "thin crust, thin on sauce and toppings".
California pizza is all over the place, you have the chains, and each mom and pop has their own style. Even had one at a place in Hollywood with bean sprouts.
All pizza is good to me.

Oh. Oh no you did not. *looks for a glove to slap with*

No.

pizzapic.jpeg

You.

aug-13-09-ny-cheese-pizza.jpg

Didn't! (This mess is Digiorno's)

572166067_d130f1c5de.jpg

NY = Pizza

images

NYC is also CHEESECAKE, it's even named that, and bagels - and things that I've found are nearly impossible to come by other places (besides the bagels, which are just very hard to come by other places [those things you think are bagels are not bagels. Nothing sold in a supermarket in plastic is a bagel]) - latkes, babka, rugelah, rye bread, and the the beloved, the cherished icons of NY childhood -

pixiedust: COOKIEPUSS

and his pal

FUDGIE THE WHALE!

this basically describes my neck of the woods...:thumbsup2 I'm only 15min south of hazelton down 81. Dont forget the bean soup... I'm already missing summer block parties... :sad:

http://www.coalregion.com/recipes.php here is a link to a coal region recipe book if you'd like to try and make them at home yourself... :)

Um, thanks:faint: I was up until 2am reading that entire website:rotfl: I forgot about Boilo! My Aunt serves that at Christmas. No words to describe it. I think it cured my flu, and I am not kidding.

Coal Speak? OMG! That is my Aunt and her friends:rotfl2: Perfect.

What an amazing area. I am originally from Atlanta, GA, but I have traveled all over the country. Your little pocket of PA is perhaps my favorite place in the USA. It is a step back in time. So unique and beyond flavorful.

Oh. Oh no you did not. *looks for a glove to slap with*

No.

pizzapic.jpeg

You.

aug-13-09-ny-cheese-pizza.jpg

Didn't! (This mess is Digiorno's)

572166067_d130f1c5de.jpg

NY = Pizza

images

Maybe someday I'll try some NY pizza in person. Only time I've set foot in the state was to change planes at JFK back in 1976.

Maybe someday I'll try some NY pizza in person. Only time I've set foot in the state was to change planes at JFK back in 1976.

Hint: Do not eat airport pizza.

Can't believe you've never been here!

Come for the pizza, stay for the whole different seasons thing. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter