• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying WITHOUT a stroller and a 2 year old

PeopleMovin

Earning My Ears
I'll be headed to disney in early sept. (2015) and it will be my daughter's (22months) first trip to Disney and first time on a plane. We originally planned to bring our own stroller and gate check, but our flights got rescheduled after we booked and we have NO time between flights, so we don't think we will be able to gate check (instead we are renting from kingdom strollers). So my question is: how do you lug all that gear and a sleepy or agitated tot around the airport? Any strategies for bags etc? I'll try a carrier, but she usually HATES them and I think it will probably end up being another thing to carry. I truly don't know how to carry it all haha

For reference:
  • There will be two adults (my husband and myself) and one toddler
  • My daughter has her own seat
  • Big Items We Will Need To Carry: DSLR Camera, Extra Camera Lens, Laptop, iPad (for toddler shows), Toys for Toddler, Diapers (probably 6-8 based on length of flights and Magical Express), Snacks, Wipes, Chargers

two back packs. Put diapers and wipes in a gallon ziplock, along with anything else you may need to change a diaper. Do you need the laptop? what are you going to use it for? I would skip it unless you need it to work or something.

Do you need the laptop? what are you going to use it for?
Two reasons really. I take HUNDREDS of photos and videos and want to be able to offload them at night. And second, my husband may need to work a little. We are HOPING he won't actually have to, but part of his job is being "on call" in case of emergencies. (software engineer for a big company)

Ditto the backpacks. But if you're going to be in a hurry in between flights, I would recommend bringing a cheapo umbrella stroller to get you through the airport and gate checking that. I can't imagine carrying around all that gear and a two year who may or may not be cooperative for you.

But this begs the question...why do you think you wouldn't have enough time to gate check a stroller? It takes literally 15 seconds to tag one and they can do it right as you're boarding the plane. You leave it at the end of the jetway anyway. You don't have to show up early to gate check a stroller.

ETA: It occurred to me that you may be worried about picking UP the stroller after your first flight. FWIW, usually people who have gate checked items have them waiting by the time they get off the plane, or there is only a short wait. But even if you have to wait, just have one spouse run ahead to the next gate and tell the gate agent what's going on. They're usually willing to wait an extra few minutes when they're waiting on connections.

ETA: It occurred to me that you may be worried about picking UP the stroller after your first flight. FWIW, usually people who have gate checked items have them waiting by the time they get off the plane, or there is only a short wait. But even if you have to wait, just have one spouse run ahead to the next gate and tell the gate agent what's going on. They're usually willing to wait an extra few minutes when they're waiting on connections.

Yep I was worried about picking up, but that makes sense. Maybe I'll take a tiny umbrella stroller just for the airport. My husband keeps joking we just need to hire a personal sherpa for the trip :jester:

I'll be headed to disney in early sept. (2015) and it will be my daughter's (22months) first trip to Disney and first time on a plane. We originally planned to bring our own stroller and gate check, but our flights got rescheduled after we booked and we have NO time between flights, so we don't think we will be able to gate check (instead we are renting from kingdom strollers). So my question is: how do you lug all that gear and a sleepy or agitated tot around the airport? Any strategies for bags etc? I'll try a carrier, but she usually HATES them and I think it will probably end up being another thing to carry. I truly don't know how to carry it all haha

For reference:
  • There will be two adults (my husband and myself) and one toddler
  • My daughter has her own seat
  • Big Items We Will Need To Carry: DSLR Camera, Extra Camera Lens, Laptop, iPad (for toddler shows), Toys for Toddler, Diapers (probably 6-8 based on length of flights and Magical Express), Snacks, Wipes, Chargers
Whenever I fly I have a laptop generally a large camera (not quiet DSLR size but a high zoom one) kindle (about the size of an ipad), chargers, a full change of clothes for me and bunch of snacks all in my backpack. So adding another backpack you should be able to get all the babies stuff in there too. Do you have carryons? If you can get any meds and a change of clothes for adults and a few for the little one in this you can probably skip that. If not bring one rolling carry on. Then each adult gets a backpack. ONe gets the kid one the roller. should be able to mange.

I think I should be able to
Whenever I fly I have a laptop generally a large camera (not quiet DSLR size but a high zoom one) kindle (about the size of an ipad), chargers, a full change of clothes for me and bunch of snacks all in my backpack. So adding another backpack you should be able to get all the babies stuff in there too. Do you have carryons? If you can get any meds and a change of clothes for adults and a few for the little one in this you can probably skip that. If not bring one rolling carry on. Then each adult gets a backpack. ONe gets the kid one the roller. should be able to mange.

She's not old enough for a rolling suitcase or useful-sized backpack of her own to carry. I will most likely have to carry her quite a bit when she's crabby or we are in a hurry (she weighs around 25-30lbs). We have a Trunki (not sure if it's allowed to post links but you can google it) which is a ride on suitcase that I considered for her, but she gets off or forgets to hold on a lot. lol. It also doesn't turn very well so basically it's good for straight shots, slows you down in tighter spots and isn't very comfy. We've used it for out of town visits to hotels.

...... But even if you have to wait, just have one spouse run ahead to the next gate and tell the gate agent what's going on. They're usually willing to wait an extra few minutes when they're waiting on connections.

It would be very unusual for an airline to hold a plane for one passenger. Don't count on this happening.

Trunkis are useless; very hard to steer. I wouldn't bring it.

TravelingToddlerKati.jpg

I think I should be able to

She's not old enough for a rolling suitcase or useful-sized backpack of her own to carry. I will most likely have to carry her quite a bit when she's crabby or we are in a hurry (she weighs around 25-30lbs). We have a Trunki (not sure if it's allowed to post links but you can google it) which is a ride on suitcase that I considered for her, but she gets off or forgets to hold on a lot. lol. It also doesn't turn very well so basically it's good for straight shots, slows you down in tighter spots and isn't very comfy. We've used it for out of town visits to hotels.
I didn't mean give the little one a case... I meant one adult has the rolling case, one has the child, both have a backpack. That way if you have to carry her you have your arms free. Check any other luggage so you don't have to deal with it.

How long is your layover and at what airport?

I'd just take the stroller and gate check it. It does not take that much time. Better then having to carry the child.

Pack everything in 3 carry-on size bags. You carry the lightest one and the child. Your DH carries the rest. Done.

It would be very unusual for an airline to hold a plane for one passenger. Don't count on this happening.

Really? I can't tell you the number of times we've waited at the gate for people making connections. I wouldn't call it "very unusual" at all, especially when they know the plane is on the ground and passengers are en route to the plane.

Call the airline (after looking at their schedule for other flights) and get yourself rescheduled for free. If they've taken you from a layover to not enough time, that should be a change they'll change your flight for.

Really? I can't tell you the number of times we've waited at the gate for people making connections. I wouldn't call it "very unusual" at all, especially when they know the plane is on the ground and passengers are en route to the plane.
Years ago? Sure. These days, not very often at all. It's nice if they wait, but usually it's all about leaving on time.

They have camera specific backpacks for DLSRs, extra lens, and laptop. So put all those things in one backpack, and diaper bag backpack for the second, and take turns carrying the child and the seat.

Years ago? Sure. These days, not very often at all. It's nice if they wait, but usually it's all about leaving on time.

Based on my recent experience (I've done probably 90% of the flying in my life in the last 4 years), I disagree. Actually, I saw it happen the last time I flew, which was last week.

Regardless, if the airline booked the OP on a new connecting flight, they had to book her using legal connection times, so depending on the airport, she likely has at least 30 minutes, and probably closer to an hour, to make the connection. That doesn't seem like a long time to make a flight when you're traveling with a toddler, but this is likely a moot argument.

When we rent, I take a lightweight inexpensive unbroller stroller gets us through the airport. I couldn't do with out it. If you don't have one, they always have them at yard sales and thrift shops.
As far as gate checking, there is little to do but have the gal or guy snap the rubber band ticket on and hand you the other half. How close is this connection? What if you have a dirty diaper mid airport or they change gates?

Before your flight lands, try to get into the lav to change your little one to avoid that need. Take turns yourself too. It seems if they change the flight with limiting your time between flights, you should be able to call and let them know you will have a babe in arms for the second flight. do you have at least 50 minutes. They started loading our flight home last year about 40 minutes before and wanted everyone on board for 20 minutes before to keep their schedule. That was Allegiant out of Sanford.

Look at the flights that day. Find one that works for you. Call the airline and request that they change you to that flight. If they changed the layover, they should see its a bad connection and work with you.

We didn't bring a stroller (rented one there). Will she sit in a carrier? We did the same thing except with an older child and a slightly younger child. We had my daughter (1.5) in the ergobaby carrier and my son (3.5) walk with my wife. I handled all the baggage (1 larger backpack, 1 messenger back slung around to the front, and 1 rolling carry-on).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter