Flying WITHOUT a stroller and a 2 year old

Based on my recent experience (I've done probably 90% of the flying in my life in the last 4 years), I disagree. Actually, I saw it happen the last time I flew, which was last week.

Regardless, if the airline booked the OP on a new connecting flight, they had to book her using legal connection times, so depending on the airport, she likely has at least 30 minutes, and probably closer to an hour, to make the connection. That doesn't seem like a long time to make a flight when you're traveling with a toddler, but this is likely a moot argument.
airlines don't always book legal connections. I've had them give me connections as short as 15 minutes and even once the connecting flight left before the other flight landed. The agent had a great laugh about that one.
Given the fees and fines that are now associated with planes pushing back late, I would not rely on the airline holding your flight.

Get a specialized backpack that will hold the camera, lenses, tripod, laptop, and ipad. There are plenty out there, but you might need to order online or go to a brick and mortar store that sells photo gear.
Get a 2nd backpack that will hold diapers, wipes and various toys.

Both of the above get stored under the seat in front of you.

Get a "carry on size" wheeled suitcase. This has changes of clothes for all of you, toiletries, medicines, anything that you need for the first 24 hours.

Adult 1 carries the photo backpack and pushes/pulls the carry on.
Adult 2 carries the 2nd backpack and the child.

I would also worry about a tight connection (say <45 minutes depending on the airport) and getting your stroller back.

What airport and how long is your layover? I've gate checked a stroller, had 2 kids and a change of terminal. If your flight has given you less than 45 minutes in a large airport with a young child, you should really think about changing your flight. If your first flight is at all late, you risk not making your connection.

You didn't say what is "no time" between flights. If you have 50-60 minutes - two backpacks and gate check an umbrella stroller, you should be fine. Now - that does NOT include time for a bathroom stop - so be sure to do that towards the end of your first flight. I think the stroller will allow you to move so much faster in the airport that the time you have to wait for it can be made it up shorter walking time.

If you have less than 45 minutes - call and complain about the schedule change and have them re-book you on different flights.

About 45-50 minutes - that's the tough call for me. Now - you need those precious few minutes that recovery of a gate checked stroller takes. If you guys are fit and one of you can move rapidly with a potentially screaming toddler on a hip and a backpack, this might still be okay. I'd be nervous though - and if YOU are nervous - that might rub off on the 2 year old and make her behavior more unpredictable.

Now - these estimates also depend on the AIRPORTS you are talking about. If you are flying a short express flight into a commuter plane terminal (small planes!) - you might have quite a distance between the two gates. But if your flights are the same airlines and big planes - while the arriving and departing gate could be far apart - it's less likely.

Before your flight lands, try to get into the lav to change your little one to avoid that need. Take turns yourself too. It seems if they change the flight with limiting your time between flights, you should be able to call and let them know you will have a babe in arms for the second flight. do you have at least 50 minutes. T

I'm trying to picture changing a squirmy two-year-old in a plane restroom where there's barely room to turn around. How do you do that?

I'm trying to picture changing a squirmy two-year-old in a plane restroom where there's barely room to turn around. How do you do that?

You can't do it in public on the plane, or in waiting chairs, but I sat on the commode, lid down, and lay them on my lap. Their back and butt is on my lap and the supplies are in a zip lock on a hand towel in the sink and lay my supplies in it. An extra zip lock to toss everything into before I leave. In my large zip lock is the smallest outfit change I can fit, two diapers, travel pack of wipes, a washrag damp in a sandwich zip lock. That way I am ready for a blow out. I throw a cloth diaper in the bag and lay it on my lap first.

Ya'll do know there's a changing "tray" in bathrooms on most planes???

I have flown with my DD 7 multiple times a year starting when she was 2 weeks old. We got really good at changing diapers with her standing up..super easy and no need for space to lay down. Practice this at home a few times. It will help a lot on the flights. Also a good backpack for you and DH. Ones with lots of pockets. Over the shoulder bags and hands free fanny packs are life savers too. You didn't state how long between flights but a stroller is a must. Gate check is super easy and done before boarding. Then most times the stroller is waiting when you get off the plane. Or a short wait. Open and go. Put diapers and wipes in a ziploc baggie together with a change of clothes for easy access. Another bag with snacks and wipes. Another with toys. Then you can just grab which bag you want without searching and return items neatly into the backpacks.

Oops! Haven't checked this thread in a bit! Our layover is exactly 45 minutes in Dallas (it's a long skinny airport, but hopefully our connections will be close?).

I'm not bringing a stroller on the plane because of the tight connection and honestly don't think it will help THAT much because she is either wanting to be held or wanting to walk like a big girl when it comes to umbrella strollers. The bigger ones she will sit in and nap in fine for whatever reason.

I tried talking to American and they just said our layover is plenty of time and they wouldn't reschedule. I don't really want to mess with our tickets at this point as we leave in 7 days! Eek!

Our plan as of now is to pack two backpacks and one tiny roller bag that would fit under a seat. The backpack can be hung on the roller so one person could carry all bags if necessary but i should be able to carry one and our daughter. Since we will be on flights or on DME for 8 hours straight (my best guess) I wanted our daughter to have plenty of snacks, drinks (she has a milk and soy sensitivity so we have to pack almond milk unfortunately) and entertainment to help tide her over and avoid those wonderful toddler meltdowns. That's why we need the third bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter