Flying with a toddler

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
When we eventually go to DLR, our son will be 19 months. We'll be flying and purchasing him a seat/ticket.

Dumb question - do I need any sort of seat/restraint for him? Or can he just use the regular belt on the plane?

Also - if you've flown with a toddler - did you rent a car seat through the car rental place or bring your own?

Car seats can be a heated topic around here :)

Generally, it's recommended that you *not* rent a car seat from the car rental place (or anywhere else). There are many reasons: you don't know that it's going to be appropriate (providing a booster instead of a convertible, forward-facing only when a rear-facing seat is needed, a seat that doesn't have the weight limit needed); or if it's expired (most seats expire in 5-6 years from when manufactured); or if it's been in an accident (it's recommended that a seat not be reused if it's been in an accident); or if the child will fit well (especially important when a child is in the 30+ pound range, or a tall kiddo); or if the seat is clean, or has been cleaned appropriately (who wants to use a seat when the last kid had an explosion in it? or if a kiddo puked in it, and the straps were washed wrong, rendering them unsafe); or if it will fit the rental car well (not all seats fit all cars well, but it's unlikely the car rental people will know if it fits the car well, or even how to install it correctly; remember 85% of car seats are installed/used incorrectly, and it's MUCH more common when you aren't used to the seat/car).

Since you are already buying your child a seat on the plane, I'd just bring his normal car seat--he knows it, he's used to it, you know how to install it, and it will be *much* easier to keep him contained on the plane in something familiar.

Well, we weren't really planning on bringing a car seat onto the plane. That seems unnecessary to me.

If we were going to bring something, we'd check it. But it wouldn't be our expensive convertible one. We'd probably just buy a cheaper one.

Okay...so after more research...here's where my head is currently....

I'm thinking we may buy something like this for the trip....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16932760?...44653550&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34923302590&veh=sem

Then use this strap to lug it around the airport attached to a small carryon suitcase. (We won't be putting our son in it like in the photo.)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JHN3AS...UTF8&colid=1RQ78LC5QSK1B&coliid=I97APDX05FBZ2

That way we don't have to worry about luggage handlers beating the crap out of our seat.

Thoughts??

Okay...so after more research...here's where my head is currently....

I'm thinking we may buy something like this for the trip....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16932760?...44653550&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34923302590&veh=sem

Then use this strap to lug it around the airport attached to a small carryon suitcase. (We won't be putting our son in it like in the photo.)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JHN3AS...UTF8&colid=1RQ78LC5QSK1B&coliid=I97APDX05FBZ2

That way we don't have to worry about luggage handlers beating the crap out of our seat.

Thoughts??

The Scenera is a great travel seat--it's cheap and light! Your earlier post said you weren't really considering having your son in the car seat on the plane, but then you linked to the above, and mentioned not having to worry about luggage handlers beating the crap out of the seat, so I'm not sure if you've changed your mind about maybe bringing it onboard and using it.... Personally, I wouldn't gate check it, as it would still end up in the cargo area, thrown around, and you can't be sure it wouldn't sustain some damage.

As I said in the beginning of my last post....I did more research. And that is where my head currently was when I added the links.

I didn't originally think he'd need any extra restraint on the airplane seat besides the belt provided but it sounds like he does.

And we were thinking about checking that seat until I thought about how much it gets thrown around.

Flying with a toddler is going to be such a change from just two adults. We'll have to have extra bags, stroller, car seat, etc. Blech.

I have never flown with a child that young and the people that I have known to do it just put them in their laps to save a couple hundred bucks. I have actually only ever seen 1 person use a car seat on a plane and it was for a baby. When we do fly with our DS though who is old enough for a booster seat, we bring one and check it at the gate.

I absolutely love using a car seat and still do for my 3 year old. She knows what's expected in her car seat and she sits happily the entire time. It's also comfortable for her! Way more comfortable than the airline seat.

I put it on a folding luggage cart and wheel it through the airport. Easy peasy. The peace on the plane is TOTALLY worth it for me.

I have never flown with a child that young and the people that I have known to do it just put them in their laps to save a couple hundred bucks. I have actually only ever seen 1 person use a car seat on a plane and it was for a baby. When we do fly with our DS though who is old enough for a booster seat, we bring one and check it at the gate.

I cannot imagine flying with a child on my lap. That sounds awful and I don't know why people would do that to themselves or the poor suckers stuck next to them on the flight. Yeah, it's expensive but oh well. If there's any sort of turbulence or god forbid a crash landing or something, I wouldn't want my child on my lap for that. So yeah...lap sitting was never in my realm of thinking, personally. Until last night, I thought putting him in the regular plane seat would be okay but now I don't even think that is a good idea.

I absolutely love using a car seat and still do for my 3 year old. She knows what's expected in her car seat and she sits happily the entire time. It's also comfortable for her! Way more comfortable than the airline seat.

I put it on a folding luggage cart and wheel it through the airport. Easy peasy. The peace on the plane is TOTALLY worth it for me.

Do you have a link to the type of luggage cart you use?

Sure! I think this is the exact one I use. I typically use a Diono Radian on a plane but have also used Britax convertible seats (like the Roundabout 55, Marathon 70, etc) without issue. The seat has to come off through security but otherwise is super convenient. Also doubles as a stroller through the airport. ;-)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CZPAKW

Thanks. I don't know what we'll end up using (it's over a year away...haha!)

We're bringing a small lightweight stroller for the parks, so we'll be using that at the airport too. Which is why bringing the seat will be kind of a pain but that's life. I think Henry will be much more comfortable that way.

How do you attach a seat like the one I linked above to the airplane seat?

Thanks. I don't know what we'll end up using (it's over a year away...haha!)

We're bringing a small lightweight stroller for the parks, so we'll be using that at the airport too. Which is why bringing the seat will be kind of a pain but that's life. I think Henry will be much more comfortable that way.

How do you attach a seat like the one I linked above to the airplane seat?

I would guess you just put the seat belt through like you would in the car.

Very much this. We always brought a carseat on the plane for my daughter, up until the time she got old enough where it became uncomfortable with her legs hitting the seat in front of her. It's safer, easier for napping, and it's familiar.

Several companies also make huge backpacks that you can carry carseats around in, which is what we preferred to use. It makes one less thing you have to drag around since usually all available hands are already being used to pull luggage.

We'll definitely need to rent one of those luggage cart things when we arrive at the airport to lug things to check-in. As well as when we arrive at SNA.

But for carry-on stuff...I'm thinking if we bring one small wheeled bag we can just attach the seat to that and drag it around. Our other carry-ons will most likely be backpacks.

I have no experience with these types of car seats since our son is currently only 6 months and still in an infant seat with base. I didn't realize the convertible ones just attach to the car with the seat belt and not the LATCH system.

What seat is it? You can likely take just the seat without the base. It's so easy that way. If you read your car seat instruction book, it'll give you instructions. It's like the easiest installation ever...both on the plane and in the car. And this eliminates the need to purchase another seat.

Doubtful he will still fit in the infant seat at 19 mo though :)

Check out the car seats for the littles board on FB, they are awesome.

We'll definitely need to rent one of those luggage cart things when we arrive at the airport to lug things to check-in. As well as when we arrive at SNA. But for carry-on stuff...I'm thinking if we bring one small wheeled bag we can just attach the seat to that and drag it around. Our other carry-ons will most likely be backpacks. I have no experience with these types of car seats since our son is currently only 6 months and still in an infant seat with base. I didn't realize the convertible ones just attach to the car with the seat belt and not the LATCH system.

All car seats, whether infant or convertible, can be attached with either latch or seatbelt in the car. It is simply a matter of ease of use and personal preference which one you choose to use.

Yeah...he won't be in an infant seat next April...haha. I was saying that because I have no experience with convertible seats at this time, I wasn't sure how they worked. We're probably moving him to one soon (though not the cheap one I linked earlier...that one would just be for travel.)

I've used the CARES harness system when flying with my toddler. Was a good option and she didn't seem to mind it. Plus it fit in my carry on!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter