Flying while sick

spedtchr

Earning My Ears
We are flying out on Sunday. I have caught a bug (virus) from students & I'm not sure about flying now. I am the person you don't want to fly with :( I'm thinking about sending family without me. What would you do?

just remember it is recycled air on the plane and others may not want your bug.

Most bugs are 24 or 48 hour bugs...maybe you will feel fine by Sunday. I catch the stomach bug from my students nearly every year, and it rarely lasts over a 24 hour period. Hope u feel better!

Sunday is still 2 days away, call your doctor NOW and explain the situation. They can advise you what to do, and if needed, and if applicable to your bug, they can prescribe something for you so you're not contagious by Sunday, and to alleviate symptoms.

They will also let you know if it's something more serious, that you cannot fly on Sunday, then you'll need Plan B.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine!

I would think you will be fine by then. Otherwise be careful about what you touch.

Sunday is still 2 days away, call your doctor NOW and explain the situation. They can advise you what to do, and if needed, and if applicable to your bug, they can prescribe something for you so you're not contagious by Sunday, and to alleviate symptoms.

They will also let you know if it's something more serious, that you cannot fly on Sunday, then you'll need Plan B.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine!

This. :thumbsup2 I'm a big fan of not flying while sick. You could potentially ruin many others trips by knowingly passing the virus to them. For example, if it's a respiratory virus and you (a general you) were sitting anywhere near my son coughing; he could potentially end up in the ER. Flying not knowing you are sick is one thing but flying when you know you are sick and may pass something to others is selfish IMHO. YMMV.

Definitely get in to see your doctor though so they can check it out and perhaps put you on antibiotics prior to your trip so it is no longer contagious.

Good luck.

Unless it is a respiratory virus you probably aren't contagious if you wash your hands very well.
You still have a long time till Sunday for a bug to be past the contagious stage. I wouldn't worry about it. Get some rest, drink a lot of fluids.

If it is respiratory you could always wear a mask while you are on the plane. But honestly in 3 days I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Are you keeping yourself in isolation now? I think we all know the answer to that.

Plus you can get a note from the doctor indicating you are not contagious and ok to fly, should the airline (or passengers near you) need such reassurance.

ccgirl said:
This. :thumbsup2 I'm a big fan of not flying while sick. You could potentially ruin many others trips by knowingly passing the virus to them. For example, if it's a respiratory virus and you (a general you) were sitting anywhere near my son coughing; he could potentially end up in the ER. Flying not knowing you are sick is one thing but flying when you know you are sick and may pass something to others is selfish IMHO. YMMV.

Definitely get in to see your doctor though so they can check it out and perhaps put you on antibiotics prior to your trip so it is no longer contagious.

Good luck.

Just remember the not everyone who coughs on a plane is contagious. The dry air on a plane aggrevates my asthma and I cough, a lot, but no way is my asthma going to get anyone else sick.

Good luck.

:confused3

If OP has a virus, antibiotics won't do a thing. Antibiotics work against bacterial infections, not viruses.

Plus you can get a note from the doctor indicating you are not contagious and ok to fly, should the airline (or passengers near you) need such reassurance.

Don't bother. Anyone could write a letter claiming to be doctor. The airline won't give it any credibility.

Just remember the not everyone who coughs on a plane is contagious. The dry air on a plane aggrevates my asthma and I cough, a lot, but no way is my asthma going to get anyone else sick.

Yes, I am well aware of that as my son has severe asthma which is why I recommended she go to the doctor. I do not assume everyone on the plane is contagious. In this case, the OP mentioned she caught a bug from a student. The MD can determine if it is viral or bacterial.

Absolutely unnecessary.

I know they require MD notes from pregnant women in certain situations so they do look at them. They also can deny boarding for passengers they feel are sick. I was watching that show about Southwest and they did deny boarding to an ill person.

:confused3

If OP has a virus, antibiotics won't do a thing. Antibiotics work against bacterial infections, not viruses.

Again, I am aware of that and mentioned it in my post and recommended she go to the MD so they can determine if antibiotics would be effective for what she had.

Start sucking down oranges & popping Vit C pills.

I hope you feel better & can go.

Oh & I will comment that there are germs everywhere. Just because OP is contagious or not doesn't mean someone on that plane will get sick from her.

Most likely those people will get sick from touching the arm rests on the plane, the tray table on the plane, the seats in the airport, doors to the bathroom and then put their fingers on their mouth or eat something that their fingers touch & go in their mouth. Just think of all those people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom (saw some one in Target a few weeks ago that did that...ick) or cough/sneeze in their hands & then do not wash or blow their nose & don't wash...ick....

If I were the passenger on the plane, I'd be more fearful of the above non handwashers/germs on everything you touch then somenone who is coughing unless that person was coughing with out covering.

I wouldn't fly sick....I do lots of travel and it's miserable if forced to fly sick - but also germs do spread...I always wipe down arms/tray tables with lysol wipes ...I'm not a germ nut - but when I travel for work - have had it happen- forced to sit next to someone whose sick and then I'm down for the count...I don't care at all if people think I'm neurotic..

OP just be mindfull and watch what you touch and use purell. Drink lots of fluids and take Vit C and cinnamon helps a virus too. We take cinnamon tablets during the cold and flu season. You can find them in the vitamin isle.

We have never, not one time, come back from Disney without one of us being sick the week we get home. I am positive it's a combination of running ourselves ragged on vacation and being exposed to all types of germs that are new to us. But IMO this happens in line, on the rides, in the hotel, in the airport, on the plane etc.
I would suggest being mindful of what you touch and using Purell etc. However the reality is I am just as likely to get sick from you as I am from the next person who doesn't look even a little bit ill but is in their incubation period for something.

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses. I am feeling much better now. I did go to the dr. & he told me to use a Neti Pot & to use Afrin 30 minutes before I get on the plane. I don't really cough except at night when I lay down. My wonderful mother-in-law made me a big pot of Russian Tea. It has orange juice, pineapple juice, lemon juice, tea, cinnamon, & cloves. I started packing today, so I guess I'm going. Thanks for all of your advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter