Flying scaredy cat has embarrassing question!

flyball

Mouseketeer
Do they land flights during thunderstorms? We're flying in on Southwest on Saturday around 5:30 pm and I know from being a Disney August vacationer that thunderstorms are frequent during the Florida afternoons. I hate flying to begin with and know that if I have to land in a thunderstorm I probably won't make it (and I really don't want to miss my Disney vacation because of coronary arrest)!!!:scared:

Depends on how bad it is and how close to the airport. If it's right over the airport, they will probably circle away from it until it passes.

Do they land flights during thunderstorms? We're flying in on Southwest on Saturday around 5:30 pm and I know from being a Disney August vacationer that thunderstorms are frequent during the Florida afternoons. I hate flying to begin with and know that if I have to land in a thunderstorm I probably won't make it (and I really don't want to miss my Disney vacation because of coronary arrest)!!!:scared:

I don't believe so.

We arrived about that time and had to circle for awhile before they would let us land. Even after we landed we sat on the tarmac because they make all ground personnel go inside until the "all clear" is given which in this case was about 15 minutes.

Deep breaths! :hug: Just keep remembering all the wonderful things you'll see and do and you'll be just fine. :thumbsup2

Have a great trip! :wizard:

They will land in a storm if safe or circle if it's not. If low on fuel, they may divert (had it happen in Chicago once...went to Rockford to refuel). Also, once you are on the ground they may make you stay on the plane if lightning is in the area. Lightning makes it unsafe for workers to be out on the tarmac to bring the jetway etc.

We were in our final approach into MCO one time when we saw the most incredible thunderstorm off in the distance. I will admit, it gave me pause, but we flew past it and safely landed. Now, I don't like to fly into Florida after 1ish..way too much room for those thunderstorms from mid-afternoon on.

Call your doctor and explain to them that you get very nervous/afriad during your flight. Odds are the nurse can call in a couple of pills for you (enough for the flight there and back) that will make you loosen up and significantly calm your nerves.

I do it every time I fly and it really helps a lot. We used to put off vacations b/c I was to uncomfortable to fly. Now, I'm happy go lucky during them :)

Call your doctor and explain to them that you get very nervous/afriad during your flight. Odds are the nurse can call in a couple of pills for you (enough for the flight there and back) that will make you loosen up and significantly calm your nerves.

I do it every time I fly and it really helps a lot. We used to put off vacations b/c I was to uncomfortable to fly. Now, I'm happy go lucky during them :)

This has actually been recommended to me, but I'm afraid of how the pills will affect me (sometimes I have weird reactions to prescription drugs). Also, I wonder if my nerves would "fight through" the calming effects of the pills if I were landing during such inclement weather! I'm really trying to focus on all the fun we'll have when we get there, but fear of that "dropping feeling" is precisely what keeps me away from Tower of Terror!

www.takingflight.us/forums

Great site for fear of flying. You can even ask a pilot your questions about flying during a thunderstorm.

Bottom line is this: they will NOT fly if it is not safe. They will NOT land if it is not safe.

I take a "happy pill" before I fly (not sure of the name). It does make me fell slightly loopy-just think of it as about a two or three adult beverage feeling. For me, it works I am able to fly and not break my husbands hand.

I live very close to Dulles airport in VA and I can hear when planes are and aren't taking off and landing. During storms and when storms are close and planes would have to go through, it gets very quiet here. I know a storm has passed when we start to hear planes again. My DH flies a lot and he's never landed during a t-storm. I've landed in clouds and rain, but never thunder and lightning. He's been rerouted to Pittsburgh once because of storms in and around our area. They just don't want to take the chance.

My happy pill is the orange chewable Dramamine. Although I still hate bumping around in turbulence, my stomach no longer does flips, and it gives me a nice drowsy feeling. If I have anything significant to do after landing (like difficult driving) I only take half a tablet, because the drowsiness persists for several hours.

This has actually been recommended to me, but I'm afraid of how the pills will affect me (sometimes I have weird reactions to prescription drugs). Also, I wonder if my nerves would "fight through" the calming effects of the pills if I were landing during such inclement weather! I'm really trying to focus on all the fun we'll have when we get there, but fear of that "dropping feeling" is precisely what keeps me away from Tower of Terror!

On my last flight, we were flying to Vegas. And against the odds, it was in rainy/windy weather. I normally would freak out, but thanks to the medicine, I was really indifferent to what was going on. It was a rough landing, but I know that if the pilots dont think they can put the plane down safely, then they will go around.

The website someone posted helps me too. And also, (although Im not a huge SW fan), they have a pilot's blog that reassured me of a lot of things (he talks about turbulence, flight plans, normal noises, etc). Take a look:

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blogsw

Hope this helps!

You guys are the BEST!!! Thank you sooo much for all of your help and reassurance. My BF keeps asking me if I'm excited about our trip and I keep saying that I will be as soon as we land. I know it's irrational and that flying is a very safe mode of transportation, but I can't help my discomfort! I hate the feeling of free falling and I can't stand it when the plane makes unexpected movements. My mind just takes over!!!

I hate the feeling of free falling and I can't stand it when the plane makes unexpected movements.

Seriously, try the orange dramamine, you can buy it without a prescription at any drugstore. Just melt a tablet on your tongue an hour or so before boarding.

www.fearofflyinghelp.com is another great site.

I think Xanax is what is usually given for flying. That's what my doc. gives me. I happen to be very resistant to it, so I have to take a dose that would knock most people on the floor. If I get the dose just right, it chills me out and totally relaxes me. Too much and I spend the flight sleeping, which is also fine with me.

It's funny how fear is a matter of perspective. I was flying solo once, with an airline employee seated next to me. There was a thunderstorm within view and he pointed to the lightening (which was much too close for my comfort) and said, "Wow! Isn't that a great show?" He wasn't scared a bit.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Florida is FLAT. So even though it may appear that there is a storm right at the airport....it may be pretty far away. We have seen some pretty neat "light shows" when we have flown in the summer, but we generally tend to fly late in the evening or early morning when the storms are more rare.

Trust your pilots - they know what the weather is likely to be before you ever leave the ground in the first place. If there is severe weather in the Orlando area that will likely impact the landings there, most of those flights will be held at their departure point until things clear. That is one of the reasons your flight can be delayed for "weather" even when the sun is brightly shining where you are standing. :confused3

This is not just up to the airlines to decide. One of the reasons why there are more ground delays before takeoff these days is that new rules were passed by the FAA that prevent airlines from taking off if they are unlikely to be able to land in their destination. In other words, if they can't get you there safely, they're not going to be allowed to die trying! :rotfl:

Remember that the people in charge of getting you where you're going are professionals. They're not the ground crew, the gate agents or the TSA. Your flight crew and your cabin crew are trained to get you where you are going safely. That is their number one priority. They are NOT going to place themselves, you and a plane filled with others in an unsafe situation. Really. I promise. :thumbsup2

Disclaimer: Yes, I am the proud wife of an aviation consultant! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter