Flying Dutchman

I just got back from CC and I asked one of the castmembers about it when I was there. I was told the Flying Dutchman was being removed because its condition was deteriorating and that it is going to be replaced by the Black Pearl -- they didn't give any timing on the arrival of the Black Pearl, however.

My son is going to be so upset. We were booked for the Island Jet ski tour, sou we could get a closer look.

Now I will cancel that. Have to go home tonight and break the bad news to him.

I just got back from CC and I asked one of the castmembers about it when I was there. I was told the Flying Dutchman was being removed because its condition was deteriorating and that it is going to be replaced by the Black Pearl -- they didn't give any timing on the arrival of the Black Pearl, however.

OOoooooooh, the Black Pearl....even better!!!!! :worship:

I think DS would be more excited to see the Black Pearl than the Flying Dutchman. I hope that rumor is true.

We were there 4 days ago and the Flying Dutchman is still there, but moved to a different location. Just like the previous poster's photo, it is being docked next to Wonder's ship (opposite from the Dutchman's original location).

I can see it from my deck 6 cabin's window and there were several people working on the Dutchman ship. I did not see any removal or cutting, thing like that. The ship looks old and in bad shape, probably caused by sea salt air/water.

I asked the crew members on the ship and they're saying it's being refurshishment.

I hope the Dutchman is only being refurbished or that there'll be something else arriving to take her place.

There was no mention of any refurbishment and/or removal when we were there at the beginning of October, and I thought she looked in reasonable condition - at least from the shore.

Could someone possibly post the photo into the thread? I cant access that site from work!

Thanks! :thumbsup2

IMG_3234.jpg

Oh I will be so sad if its gone on our trip in Feb. but it looks like it will be.:mad: but thee black pearl now that would be nice:lovestruc

I hope that it will either be refurbished or replaced by another Pirate ship. It always made great photos next to the Magic or Wonder.

Corinna

My DH is going to be so disappointed! He is a pirate at heart, and so wanted a pic!

But, it's not going to ruin our cruise, we love DCL!! And Castaway is my favorite place!!

What a bummer! We will be there on SATURDAY...no chance of the Black Pearl showing up by then!! :sad1:

SOOOO bummed!!! That was always our favorite thing - taking a little boat out there to see it! Going on the Dream on Jan 30 - here's hoping something is there!

Last year my son was heartbroken because Capt. Jack wasn't there - he'll be so disappointed!

Thanks for posting the picture. If I could ever figure out how to do that I would. I stood and watched the workers cut the FD apart for about 20 minutes. They used chain saws and then used the claw on the digger to smash and tear at the loosened parts. I watched the whole bow portion get smashed off and the dredged up by the claw. Parts of the boat were dumped on the dock and then pushed along the ground by the digger. I really don't think that it was a renovation, it was pretty drastic.
I work with a lady whose husband worked as a marine mechanic on the set of Pirates 3. She in fact was with him on location and had dinner with many of the actors. She told me that the Dutchman is built onto the hull of a barge (no motors) so has to be towed. All that superstructure would be top heavy if they were towing it somewhere. The Pearl is built onto a real motorized boat and can travel under it's own power.
I really hope they bring the Pearl in. Actually it would be a better fit with the Captain Jack photo op.
I shall miss the Dutchman but whatever it is they really need a pirate ship there as when you approach the island it really sets the tone. Here's hoping it gets replaced very soon.

I liked seeing the Flying Dutchman at Castaway Cay, but it won't make or break my trips there not seeing a ship.

I'm glad we got to see the FD last year....it was amazing to watch it get closer as we approached CC from our verandah and I got some great photos thankfully, both from our verandah and from shore.

I'd love to see the Black Pearl as well, but doubt that will be there in the next 2 1/2 weeks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter