• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flu bug going around at Disney?

There's nothing worse then getting sick away from home! Hopefully you've made it home and at least your DH has someplace comfy to rest his head.

I always just assume there's something going around, everywhere, always! LOTS of hand washing.

We just left Disney yesterday, and I was very sick last Sunday through yesterday, and am still pretty sick.

Well. This explains a lot haha
I'm a cast member at DTD and ended up with a nasty bug last week, same for a couple of my fellow cast members.

On behalf of the MAW families, THANK YOU for considering them!!! :)

We have had three of our "DIS" kiddos get sick on their trips - that is no fun at all!

:goodvibes

Wdw is not more importent then getting others sick, its a pain but we would just re schedule, I know there are alot of germs there anyway but why risk spreading illness to others.I hate reading trip reports or posts where people are dragging sick kids around the parks, one the kids are not feeling good plus spreading the germs. Not worth it.

Sorry to hear about all the sickness! We came home on Wed. night after a 9 night stay and did not get sick. We had sinus/allergy issues, but nothing caused by a virus. OP, I hope your dh is better soon.

Same..we left Disney on Thursday..no stomach issues but 5 of us had cold/sinus.allergy issues..

I was in the world last week from 9/23-9/28 I was so sick with an awful sore throat, ear ache and cough. Today is the first day I finally feel normal. I was contemplating going to an urgent care when I was down there but I wasn't running a fever and I seemed to be responding well to contact and DayQuil. Hope everyone gets better.

My oldest and my mom ( who shared a room) missed a whole park day from this. myself and 2 of my younger kids had a lesser version.. we would be near ok when out but in the room we'd get worse..I blame the AC.. we are not used to it ( we do not have it) . Luckily I packed enough various meds ( because I am ocd) that we could medicate and move on. I also brought 100% grape juice and we all drank a few ounces every day.. this helps prevent stomach bugs.

Anywhere you have any number of children, it's going to be a stew of viruses and bacteria. Schools are bad, but theme parks are worse, because there are children bringing in every disease from all across the country.

As for cancelling the vacation because your child is sick...? That's easy enough if your child has something clearly identifiable. Little Johnny is vomiting! We shouldn't get on the plane! But what if your kid is one of the millions who simply have runny noses for months on end?

Or what if one child just got over something and the other didn't show any signs of illness, until the first night in your hotel room and she starts barking like a croupy seal? (That was us.) You're hardly going to pack up and go home. Instead the sick child will rest, and the other child (covered in the sick child's germs, no doubt, as they were sharing a bed) will go off to the parks to play. By evening the sick child seems fine, if a bit hoarse... will you keep her confined to the hotel room or will you go out to dinner? Odds are you'll probably go out to dinner.

And then, of course, there are the many times when children look contagious, but aren't (ie. recovering from chicken pox) and conversely when they look fine, but are shedding viruses left right and centre (before the spots show up).

Basically, children are germ machines. And one child's so-mild-it's-barely-noticeable sniffle is another person's ER visit.

Another poster commented on it, and I thought I'd mention it again for anyone looking at this post becasue they have a trip scheduled soon (like me):

If it is norovirus going around, the best thing you can do is WASH HANDS. ALcohol in hand sanitizers doesn't kill norovirus.

In research studies I've read, it says that 70% alcohol (as found in most hand sanitizers) won't kill enveloped viruses like noroviruses. I found a link , though, from the dept of health in FL that says that 70% alcohol might kill the virus, but there has to be a minimum of 60secs of contact between the alcohol and virus...I know my hand sanitizer is never still wet on my hands for a full 60 secs!

Hope all who have gone are well and I hope all who are going stay well!!

I agree with PP who said it is probably more related to the time of year than anything else. When my children were school age and I worked for a pediatrician we could count on the 3rd week of Sept through the beginning of October being busy with all the various ailments. Mine usually got colds about that time. I think it all starts with the return to school and all the children being in close quarters after the summer vacation. The return at the beginning of Sept here in the northeast and after a couple of weeks everyone has had time to incubate the germs and pass them on to others. This effect is then multiplied at WDW when kids from all over the country and their parents can become sick with something they actually got at home and pass it on while at Disney. We leave tomorrow with DGD and are hoping for the best. Will be doing a lot of hand washing this week.
Am sorry for those who have had trips that weren't quite so magical and hope your next ones are better.

DH got sick in the hours leading up to the ToT 10-Miler Saturday. He ran it anyway, which was probably a mistake. Started out with some stomach discomfort, but it is now not that: more fever, aches and pains, and headache. He's still home today. We also wondered if it might have been something he ate at F&W. Keeping fingers crossed that he gets better soon, and that nobody else in the family gets it.

Yes its October, flu and all sickness it everywhere. Especially crowded places.
1. Wash you hands frequently and often, especially before eating.
2. Do not touch your face ever......
3. Tie your kids hands behind there back.

Never came back sick thank goodness, we do the reg vitamins, probiotics, flu shots and keep our hands washed.we would also not think twice about moving are trip if we were sick.its not worth it to have everyone go and be sick the whole time and then there are the make a wish kids and other people with bad immune systems , I would feel guilty knowing we could ruin someone elses trip.WDW is not going anywhere.If we ever got sick while there we would stay in the room until we were better and let housekeeping know to clean our room well for the next guests.

As a nurse and mom of two children....I just want to say THANK YOU! I have always been considerate when myself or my children are sick. Really wish that others were somewhat considerate also.

We've never came home sick from WDW, but I know it is common.

People from all over the world visit WDW and spread germs everywhere. Seriously, think about all the different things you touch in a day at WDW. :crazy2:

Number one rule is wash hands, with HOT water and soap. Keep them away from your face and if you're coughing or sneezing, please cover your mouth.

Everyone around you will thank you.

Out of all our trips to WDW, this trip has been the only one where we've gotten sick.

We got home about 1:30 am on Wednesday, 9/26. By that night, I was throwing up... it's the sickest I've been in a while.

I was sick on Wednesday (9/26) & into the next two days (Thursday & Friday).

Younger DS started throwing up on Sunday, older DD & DS started throwing up yesterday, & DH started throwing up early this morning.

Older DD & DS started coughing/allegery symptoms upon our return as well. DH & I were assuming allergies since we returned to a high ragweed count. However, they're both still coughing & are sounding pretty congested. I'm a little worried about older DS because he has asthma.

As we always do, we washed our hands regularly, used hand sanitizer, kept nagging the kids to stay off the handrails, tried to keep our hands away from our faces, took vitamins, etc.

I hate that I was the one who apparently brought it home!

So there's a stomach bug going around eh? This is pretty interesting, but this is the start of the flu season.

It's not just Disney, a viral sickness is making it's rounds everywhere, especially in schools.

There's more people at Disney, hence more sick people, but crowds are more the problem, not the place.

Plus, (and a BIG factor) a lot of people fly, and I've heard people on the Dis say that they were not missing their flights, ressies, etc. because one of their kids had a bug, or whatever. So, I think a lot of people are infected on planes, then unknowingly pass it on to others at Disney, and elsewhere.

Those with children that put their hands in their mouths, etc. are probably more prone to catching things. Their kids are hanging off dirty rails all the time in lines.

We try to wash hands with soap & water as often as possible, use sanitizer when we can't (yes, I know some people hate it, but it works for us), and try not to touch things the public constantly touches - not always possible, I realize.

So far, we haven't gotten sick at Disney, but know that could easily change even if we are very careful. Sure hope all that are sick will be better so their trips will not be totally ruined pixiedust:

Sitting here at the ER in Ocala, so we're still not exactly sure what is going on. The doctor said it is most likely a bug of some kind, but DH is very, very sick. I thought at first, it could be food poisoning from F&W because there were a couple of things that he ate different from me and I'm not sick at all (yet). Or, it could be because he did the ToT 10 miler, and he's just now showing signs of dehydration.

Either way, I'm glad my parents live close. Saratoga Springs was ready to kick us out today. They told us we were lucky to get an extra hour in the room and check out at noon.

I'm just curious if anyone else that has been recently has gotten sick or felt fluish in any way?

Given the number of people at Disney I'm sure there is always something going around. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Denise in MI

The Wet Ones towelettes do have an ingredient that kills the norovirus. I carry the individually packaged ones and right before eating, I always give my hands a thorough wash with one. While I agree that a hot water handwash is the best course of action, most of the bathroom sinks at WDW don't have hot water. Also, there are way too many things you can touch between the restroom and your food (menus anyone? or those serving utensils at the buffet? all full of germs :scared:). By waiting until I'm ready to actually touch the food, drink, or eating utensils, I get rid of the most germs possible.

I used to occasionally get sick at Disney, but since I started doing this, I haven't had any issues other than allergies, which are my own cross to bear. Oh, and it also helps if you allow a little space between you and the next party in line in the queue (or stand to the side or back of any pre-shows or shows). It's harder for someone to spew germs all over you that way (or anything else, for that matter).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter