Flowers, Food, and Family - mom and dad FINALLY come to Disney with me! update 6/22

Wonderful start.

I read your Bride trip report and enjoyed it so much so I wanted to join you for this one.

Looking forward to more. :thumbsup2

Awesome, I'm so glad you're joining in!!

Excellent news! As I recall, you were quite disappointed when he couldn't come along. At least now you have something to look forward to. :)

When it looked like you were in that building, I wondered if you were in a Presidential Suite. :cool2: Kudos to your uncle! :dance3:

Yes - and in the long run a trip with just me and my brother would probably be better anyway. There's plenty of things we did this week that he wouldn't have been interested in. And as much as I love him, he can be a pretty big pain sometimes about stuff like that! So I will be more than happy to plan a trip that caters solely to him, both for him and for my own sanity!

Hey, Becky!
I haven't been on the DIS in a while, but I'm excited to finally read another TR from a friend. :)

•Glad to see your parents joined you on the trip--that's always so nice.
•Wow, the resort room looks amazing and so fancy!
•Hahaha, 19 1/2 month anniversary strawberries.
•I still have to try T-rex sometime, looks pretty good.

Can't wait for more!! :thumbsup2

Danielle, so glad you're joining in! The 19 1/2 month anniversary note really made me laugh, but I thought it was also really sweet - especially the fact that they bothered to calculate that it was 19 1/2 months!

I'm in! Great start.
We're hoping to eat at T-Rex for the first time this fall. DH and I are both dinosaur lovers! Your pictures are the first I've seen of it!

Oh, if you're dinosaur lovers I imagine you'll love T-REX!

Great update so far. We loved T-rex as well and the ice cave is Awesome! I love your pool table by the way. How cool is that?!

Thanks! I know, as fancy and cool as the room was, I feel like that pool table is really the thing that put it over the edge. When I'm trying to get across to people just how cool that room was, I'm always like, "And... it had a pool table!!"

We did T-Rex for the first time this trip and loved it! It was raining when we went too :rotfl2:

Magic Kingdom - the morning

So I don't know what it was, especially since I was just in Disney recently, but I was awake at 5am this morning... and absolutely couldn't fall back asleep. I was just so excited to be going to the Magic Kingdom! It was just like when I was a kid and couldn't sleep on Christmas morning. So I got up, made myself breakfast, poked around on facebook a bit, and then sat out on the balcony with a cup of tea. I was hoping to see the sun rise, but it was too cloudy that morning. It was still pleasant though.

We parked and decided to take the boat over instead of the monorail. It was actually kind of cold on the boat with the wind blowing in our faces!

We got through the bag check and through the ticket gates and in literally just in time to see the opening show start! I was so glad we were able to catch it.

We were in! There's nothing like MK right at opening on your first full day of the trip.

First stop: Space Mountain!

Me, DH, and my dad went on this. Mom doesn't really do thrill rides. My dad had thought he remembered Space Mountain being a little lame, but he was super impressed this time around! We all really enjoyed it and didn't have to wait at all since we went there first thing in the morning. We also had the photopass plus, so we got our attraction photo too.

Up next we did Buzz Lightyear, since my mom was willing to go on that as well. I'm usually so awful at it, but this time I hit something good a racked up 100,000 points! I was excited to be beating DH ;) I was so excited... until I saw my mom had somehow got 300,000 points! lol, but it was fun.

Then it was time for Monsters, Inc.

My face was up on the screen during the little pre-show. It showed me up there and then the caption said "Thinks everyone is looking at her." lol. We love that show even though DH and I have seen it several times. It doesn't change drastically, but you can usually count on one unusual audience thing to make you laugh your head off. This time they were doing the game where Buddy is trying to guess what number a woman was thinking of. He says, "think of a number between 1 and 10." The woman immediately goes, "5." He pretends to turn around and whispers, "this is going to be easier than I thought!"

I was really eager to see Enchanted Tales with Belle again, so we waited in line for that. It was probably the longest wait we had all week at 30 minutes, since you can't fastpass that one.

Last time I had seen the show I got picked to be Mrs. Potts. This time, DH got to be in the show! I don't think he was exactly thrilled, but he was a good sport about it:

Since when I was in it was the only other time I had seen it, it was nice to see it from an audience perspective this time. Lumiere was awesome to look at! I never really got a good look at him last time.

And then there's Belle, my favorite princess! If I ever worked in Disney world this would be my dream job:

After the show we checked out the rest of New Fantasyland. We grabbed fastpasses for the Little Mermaid ride and explored the Beauty and the Beast shop and popped into Gatson's tavern. We also got pictures in front of the fountain!

It was almost time for lunch, but we stopped into the new Tangled bathrooms. They were really nice for a bathroom and I loved how themed it was! I just wish they had done some sort of Tangled attraction or show.

For lunch my parents went to Columbia Harbor House, and DH and I got waffle sandwiches from Sleepy Hollow. We then brought our sandwiches back to CHH to eat with my parents. I got the nutella and fruit waffle, and it was so delicious!

You've got the red hair, but something about your husband in the Space Mountain pic reminds me of the Weasley twins, and now I can't not see it. :rotfl: Plus, that lightning shirt keeps drawing the eye. I like how your parents are both in grey, while you guys are in black and white, except you also have some pastels in there to match your parents. Genius! :teeth:

Your waffel sandwich looks so good! :goodvibes

It tasted as good as it looks!

You've got the red hair, but something about your husband in the Space Mountain pic reminds me of the Weasley twins, and now I can't not see it. :rotfl: Plus, that lightning shirt keeps drawing the eye. I like how your parents are both in grey, while you guys are in black and white, except you also have some pastels in there to match your parents. Genius! :teeth:

It's so funny you say that, because he actually gets told he looks like a Weasley twin all the time! When we were in the Harry Potter world at Universal someone actually came up to him and told him that. And thanks for the compliments on the outfits! I picked out what DH would wear for Tuesday (his Star Wars shirt for Hollywood Studios) and Wednesday (his Mickey shirt to match my Minnie), but promised him I wouldn't control his wardrobe on the other days ;) I'm glad it didn't come out too terrible once we were all together! :rotfl2:

Love your dining review so far, so decided to subscribe to this as well! That room looks gorgeous! There really are some lovely timeshares around WDW!

Love your dining review so far, so decided to subscribe to this as well! That room looks gorgeous! There really are some lovely timeshares around WDW!

Thanks so much for hopping over here too! There are so many great places to stay around Disney, especially when you are lucky enough to have family members with timeshares!

Count me in!!

So glad to have you!

Magic Kingdom - afternoon

After lunch we decided to hop onto the Haunted Mansion, since it was right across the way! Now, this may seem silly, but I've always been really afraid of haunted houses. I know HM isn't so bad but I'm still a little nervous when I go on it. However, when I visited in February I rode with a friend who told me all sorts of interesting details and backstory about it, and now I don't really find it scary anymore!

After that ride we headed back over to Fantasyland to use our Little Mermaid fastpasses. I don't know exactly why, as Little Mermaid isn't my favorite movie or anything, but I really enjoy that ride. It's just feel peaceful and fun. On our way there I noticed they had "hoofprints" in the ground by the Tangled bathrooms - and they even said "Maximus" on them! I thought that was a really neat little detail. One of the things that I love about Disney.

Once we rode Little Mermaid we decided to head into Frontierland. I had my eye on Splash Mountain, my favorite ride. We passed the Country Bear Jamboree and thought about going in - see, there's a bit of back story that we like to tease my dad about. The first time we went together as a family my dad's boss told him the one attraction he absolutely must see was the Country Bears. I don't know if his boss genuinely believed that or was playing a joke on him (I honestly think it's the former), but there we were at rope drop of the Magic Kingdom, rushing with everyone toward Frontierland... and then we stopped at the Country Bears and everyone else hurried past us toward Splash Mountain! :rotfl: We still like to tease him about that all the time. In the end we decided to pass on the country bears for now.

We did spot this lovely fellow as we made our way over:

Splash Mountain is my absolute favorite, and it had been down when I visited in February (not to mention much too cold!). DH was coming on with me, but my dad opted not to - I was a little disappointed, but he didn't want to get wet! It was just slightly on the chilly side, I think around 68 degrees or so and the sun wasn't out, so it would be a little uncomfortable to be wet. I tried to convince him to come on in his poncho but it was a no-go.

DH purposely made an extremely exaggerated face for the photo. Mine is all natural, though! And now that I look at it, it seems like the man in front of us is ripping his shirt open... weird! :confused3

We hardly got wet at all, just a few drops that dried quickly! Last time I had been on Splash Mountain in September 2011 it was looking a little sad - some of the animatronics had fallen over. We made jokes when riding through about the ones that had "died." It got that three month refurb so I think they were able to fix a lot of that.

On our way over to Adventureland everyone stopped for some ice cream. DH and my dad got Mickey bars and my mom got a strawberry bar. I didn't have anything except a bite of DH's Mickey bar because I was still full from my waffle sandwich!

We went on Pirates next. My dad sat on the edge, and in the part where the cannonballs go off it splashed into our boat and he got more wet on that ride than we did on Splash Mountain! Haha, karma. ;)

Also, my dad can never resist trying on hats:

My dad really wanted to do the Jungle Cruise (He loves corny jokes), but the line was kind of long so we got fastpasses. In the meantime we headed back to Main Street so I could get some Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards.

Random picture time:

I got my cards and then we decided to go meet Mickey and Minnie. We waited around 20 minutes, but for some reason we only got to meet Mickey. It was good though, you can't go to Disney without a Mickey picture, right? They took a shot of the "birthday" people first, then everyone, and then couples.

As we came out of meeting Mickey the parade was passing by, so we decided to stop and watch it for awhile. I don't usually stop to see the parades but since it was right there we did, and I enjoyed it!

We headed back toward Jungle Cruise and on the way I decided to actually test out my Sorcerer's cards for the first time. I had gotten a pack and "training" in February, but it had been so crowded I never actually played. I found my first spot and a little kid was just finishing up so I waited and then went to do it. For some reason I couldn't figure out how to make it work and I had forgotten my training! The little kid was nice enough to help me out, lol. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but we finally realized that you have to hold the card up quickly and suddenly, not slowly like I had been doing. We just did the one location before heading back to Jungle Cruise.

Random castle pic:

We also stopped for some photopass shots on our way:

And then it was on to the Jungle Cruise! It's so corny, haha. But cute.

The backside of water:

Another random castle shot (Am I the only one that feels the need to take a picture of the castle every time I walk past it??):

We had an early dinner planned at Be Our Guest. I am in love with this place:

It's so gorgeous, and the food we had an absolutely phenomenal. If you want to see food pics and a full review of that, check out my dining review:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48278377

Also, since we were celebrating birthdays, we got the gray stuff!

Then it was time to meet the Beast! We were waiting on line and were about half way through, when the Beast, in between pictures, suddenly left. He headed right toward us, and we thought he was trying to get through so we stepped aside... but he walked right up to DH, shook his hand, and then went back to taking pictures! It was the weirdest thing. The Beast was a funny character. When we got up there he was trying to mime ask us if we enjoyed our dinner by rubbing his belly, but we totally weren't getting it haha.

(My face in this one, haha - it's like "Beast, what on earth are you trying to say to me??")

We took a few pictures with the stained glass before heading back out into Fantasyland!

The "Maximus" horse shoe print is adorable. I have to find that this fall.
Funny story about the Country Bears!
I can't get over how gorgeous BOG is. I am actually having some serious anxiety about getting a reservation there! :rotfl2: My ADR day is coming up! I feel like some sort of addict, I NEED that reservation!!! :rotfl:
"The grey stuff" -- first I've heard of it. Amazing touch!

The "Maximus" horse shoe print is adorable. I have to find that this fall.
Funny story about the Country Bears!
I can't get over how gorgeous BOG is. I am actually having some serious anxiety about getting a reservation there! :rotfl2: My ADR day is coming up! I feel like some sort of addict, I NEED that reservation!!! :rotfl:
"The grey stuff" -- first I've heard of it. Amazing touch!

I really hope you get your BOG reservation! I was online first thing in the morning and I got it - I also went for an earlier time which wasn't as competitive, so if you don't mind eating early it's easier to get say a 4:45 reservation!

And if you can think of anything at all that you're celebrating, put it on your reservation - that way you'll get to try the gray stuff too! ;)

Great update! Ah, I love when I only get the slightest bit wet on Splash! Haha, your poor dad on POC!
Love the story of the little kid helping you out with the Sorceror's game! I'm pretty interested in trying it out when we go-- do you think it's worth a bit of time? The crowd reports for my week are soooo low (Sept 2-9), I'm thinking we'll definitely have the time for it!

Great update! Ah, I love when I only get the slightest bit wet on Splash! Haha, your poor dad on POC!
Love the story of the little kid helping you out with the Sorceror's game! I'm pretty interested in trying it out when we go-- do you think it's worth a bit of time? The crowd reports for my week are soooo low (Sept 2-9), I'm thinking we'll definitely have the time for it!

Yeah, definitely try it! You should have plenty of time. We got married on Sept 3rd and had our honeymoon that week and it was the best - we didn't wait for anything! We were seriously at a point where if the wait was 15 or 20 minutes we'd get a fastpass! :rotfl: You'll have a blast! At the very least stop in to get a pack of cards - they're free and fun a little souvenir even if you don't end up playing. :thumbsup2

Magic Kingdom - evening

After dinner we had planned to do Mickey's Philharmagic, since my parents had never seen it. Unfortunately, it was temporarily down - which was very inconvenient since we were right in the area anyway! So we did the carousel instead, which was nice but a pretty short ride.

Since there was almost no wait we then decided to go meet Ariel in her grotto as well. I think it's cool to see her in her fin! Dad seemed to like Ariel too...

After meeting Ariel, Mickey's Philharmagic was back! So we watched that show. We decided to get a few more photopass pics at the castle - in my mind, you can never have too many!

We still had some time left before the fireworks dessert party, so we decided to play some more Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom. I completed a full "quest line" or whatever it's called this time, visiting most of the Main Street locations. My next mission was in Adventureland, but we decided we didn't want to trek all the way there so I saved it for next time. We visited the shops on Main Street, looking for a sweatshirt for my mother - it had gotten pretty cold by this point! With the time remaining we did a complete loop on the train, then headed to the fireworks dessert party.

They have a big variety of desserts, so I got a taste of most things. The fruit tarts are definitely my favorite! It was still pretty chilly though, and even with the sweater I brought I was cold. Unfortunately the "hot beverages" were only lukewarm and not very good, so that wasn't helping much. I was glad when Wishes started. This is definitely my favorite show in Disney. It was fantastic, as always.

I was completely exhausted by the end of this day. By the time we got back it was around 11, and don't forget that I was up at 5am that morning! My feet were also just killing me. I went back, took a nice hot bath, and went right to sleep. I needed my energy for Hollywood Studios the next day!

Great Update! I've never done the Fireworks Dessert party. It sounded like it was a little disappointing though. Do you think it is something you would try again? The desserts did look really yummy:love:

Great update! :)

Thanks!

Great Update! I've never done the Fireworks Dessert party. It sounded like it was a little disappointing though. Do you think it is something you would try again? The desserts did look really yummy:love:

This was my second time doing the dessert party, and it's definitely something I would do again, though not every time I visit. The desserts were very good and the view is fantastic. I was only disappointed with the drinks. And it was uncomfortable since it was much colder than we had anticipated, but if I was better prepared for the weather it would've been a different story!

You certainly had a packed day! Can't wait to read about your time at DHS!

I know, a little *too* packed! My feet never really stopped hurting til the end of the week! DHS was a blast though :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter