Flowers, Food, and Family - mom and dad FINALLY come to Disney with me! update 6/22

I love that picture of the two of you in front of the stained glass at BoG! :thumbsup2

We're not that big on Disney Dining, but I think we definitely gotta do the dessert party next time. Disney does desserts best anyhow. ;)

I love that picture of the two of you in front of the stained glass at BoG! :thumbsup2

We're not that big on Disney Dining, but I think we definitely gotta do the dessert party next time. Disney does desserts best anyhow. ;)

Thanks - that's one of my favorite pictures too! It's currently my facebook profile pic :goodvibes

Following along! I am in some serious PDD! We checked out of AoA on 4/20, but spent some of Sun 4/21 at DTD as well!! We also had 6pm ressies at T-Rex! That rain that day was miserable, and the check-in podium was a cluster! Love the magic shots of you and your DH with Tink, and your Splash PP+ picture was classic! What was up with the guy in front of you!?! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

Following along! I am in some serious PDD! We checked out of AoA on 4/20, but spent some of Sun 4/21 at DTD as well!! We also had 6pm ressies at T-Rex! That rain that day was miserable, and the check-in podium was a cluster! Love the magic shots of you and your DH with Tink, and your Splash PP+ picture was classic! What was up with the guy in front of you!?! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

So glad to have you along! So funny that we were at T-REX at the same time - we walked all around the restaurant to take pictures so I probably saw you or walked by you at some point ;)

Hollywood Studios - morning

We got to HS early and were through bag check and the turnstiles by 8:50, so we could head right to Toy Story Mania! I was excited to be in Hollywood Studios:

Toy Story is absolutely one of my favorite queues, because there are so many interesting things to look at and take pictures of:

The ride was a lot of fun, though my parents didn't realize that the key was to shoot as many times as possible - they were taking their time aiming and ended up with really low scores the first time around. DH and I did a bit better - I was player 1:

Not surprised that DH beat me, since he is the video game nerd. But I did about what I usually do, so not bad. We grabbed fastpasses so that we could come back later in the day and try it again!

My family decided to try out the new Jack Sparrow attraction. I chose to stay in the Pixar area and take some more pictures:

I think they were rather disappointed in Jack Sparrow. I haven't done it yet, but they said it was really a bit lame, so I'm not jumping to do it anytime soon.

We next decided to head over to the thrill rides - Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror! On the way there, though, I made the family stop for some photopass pics:

We decided to go on Rockin' Roller Coaster first. DH and I are big coaster people and we love this one. My dad was iffy on whether or not he wanted to do it (I could've sworn it did it with him on our father/daughter trip in 2005 but he claims we didn't, so I don't know). We convinced him to go on it though, and he ended up loving it! It's short, and when it was over he was like, "Is that it??" Such a great, intense ride if you're into thrills.

Then DH and my dad decided to go on Tower of Terror. I'm not a fan of this one. I love the intro stuff, before you fall, but I really don't like the feeling in my tummy. I may try it again someday, but since DH had my dad to go with I just hung out in the gift shop with my mom. DH and my dad both absolutely loved it (well, it already was DH's favorite ride, but my dad hadn't done it before). I think it turned out to be my dad's favorite ride at the end of the trip too.

They're way in the last row, in the left corner:

We had a little time before we were ready for lunch, so we went on the Great Movie ride. It's fun, but even my parents commented that it needs to be updated. I agree, I think they could make that ride really cool. I do like the classics though.

Then we decided to try and find lunch. I haven't been to a place at HS yet that I've been super impressed with for counter service - we've tried ABC Commissary and Pizza Planet. We decided on Backlot Express. The sandwich I got there was actually really good, but the most exciting part was the magic tray! My food was served on a "magic" blue tray - I'm not sure if this was just random or because we had to wait longer because I had a special order without one of the ingredients that took longer to make. As a bonus, we got a free dessert! I picked a chocolate cupcake that was huge and absolutely delicious. I shared it with my dad.

Maybe someone already mentioned this (I'm trying to catch up on Trip Reports, so I'm not reading comments so much) but Minnie doesn't meet with Mickey in Town Square. She did temporarily for "sweetheart" week or whatever it was called around Valentine's Day in February, but now she's only in Pete's Silly Sideshow back in the circus area in the Magic Kingdom.
The only place at Disney you can meet Minnie & Mickey together is at the Animal Kingdom, since they recently moved them from Camp Minnie-Mickey.

I LOVE all your photopass photos! We didn't get very many this time.

Maybe someone already mentioned this (I'm trying to catch up on Trip Reports, so I'm not reading comments so much) but Minnie doesn't meet with Mickey in Town Square. She did temporarily for "sweetheart" week or whatever it was called around Valentine's Day in February, but now she's only in Pete's Silly Sideshow back in the circus area in the Magic Kingdom.
The only place at Disney you can meet Minnie & Mickey together is at the Animal Kingdom, since they recently moved them from Camp Minnie-Mickey.

I LOVE all your photopass photos! We didn't get very many this time.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, thank you! The last time I was in Disney was for Valentine's Day week and they were both there so I just assumed that's how it normally was (that was my first time visiting them in Town Square).

Hollywood Studios - afternoon/evening

After lunch it was time to use our Toy Story fastpasses. I actually got my highest score ever this time around! But I still didn't beat DH...

Up next was Muppet Vision 3-D. I love the Muppets and I always appreciate this show. I took a few pictures around here too.

Then we headed for Backlot Tours! I have a special place in my heart for this because I was chosen as a volunteer in the beginning show twice before. This time, however, they didn't even pick volunteers and didn't do the pre-show! They talked a little about what they would do but didn't actually do it. It was really lame and disappointing. Apparently they are in the process of re-doing the pre-show bit so it's all going to be changing. Too bad, because I always thought that was the best part of that attraction.

My family enjoyed it too - they liked catastrophe canyon. I like seeing the ear water tower and remembering when that used to be the symbol of MGM!

I wanted to make sure we got to the drawing class at the Animation Academy because I always really like doing that. We got into a class and I was amazed and how many people frequented this place. They just do it over and over again. The instructor was trying to choose a character to draw and she asked who had already drawn what, and there were some people that had drawn tons of characters! In the end we did Rapunzel. She was much more challenging than the other ones I've done! I think mine came out okay, though her eyes are a little messed up. It also felt more rushed, I think because she was more complicated.

When we finished drawing the line to meet Ralph and Vanellope was really short, so we got on that! We enjoyed watching all of the video game references in the queue.

We were debating on doing the Indiana Jones show or Lights, Motors, Action, but my dad really wanted to do Indiana Jones so we went with that. It is an exciting show.

We had a little time before our dinner reservation, so we went on Star Tours again - we had a much better sequence this time!

Dinner was at Mama Melrose, and I'd never been there before. Our waiter was quite a character - very flamboyant and fun. We split entrees and got a pitcher of sangria, which I thought was really good. The food was decent if not great. The desserts, on the other hand, were fantastic!

Found some of my favorite Star Trek actors on the walls...

We then moseyed out way out of the park, stopping in some shops and whatnot. It was a very pleasant day!

Great Update! I LOVE the Muppets! I know that show is pretty cheesy but I have fond memories of going there as a teenager so I can't wait to go back with my parents this summer and take my son for the first time!!:cool1:

Great Update! I LOVE the Muppets! I know that show is pretty cheesy but I have fond memories of going there as a teenager so I can't wait to go back with my parents this summer and take my son for the first time!!:cool1:

Muppets are the best! I was obsessed with the Great Muppet Caper as a kid, I watched it over and over :goodvibes

Great update! :goodvibes

Thank you! Glad you're still following along! :yay:

Love all the Muppet Area pics! I was going to take a bunch around there, but didn't write it down and it didn't happen. So much coolness, gotta miss something I suppose. But I'm happy to look at yours. :)

I was surprised how much I liked Hollywood Studios. Still don't think I'd like it in the summer -- not enough shade! -- but we really enjoyed it in February. Of course even then eldest and I went home in the middle of the day. :rolleyes1

Love all the Muppet Area pics! I was going to take a bunch around there, but didn't write it down and it didn't happen. So much coolness, gotta miss something I suppose. But I'm happy to look at yours. :)

I was surprised how much I liked Hollywood Studios. Still don't think I'd like it in the summer -- not enough shade! -- but we really enjoyed it in February. Of course even then eldest and I went home in the middle of the day. :rolleyes1

I know what you mean - I absolutely love all 4 Disney parks, but if I was pushed to pick a least favorite it would probably be HS. Yet every time I go there I remember how much I like it and how many unique things there are to do there! And it's DH's favorite park ;)

Epcot - Morning

I was very excited to get to Epcot to see the Flower and Garden festival for the first time! I know some people don't think there's a lot to it, but right away I was impressed with the topiaries and the brightly colored flowers found around. We made it our mission throughout the day to take a picture of every single topiary ;)

However, we decided to start our morning in Future World, do all of that, and then head to the World Showcase for the afternoon. We went for Test Track first. I had tried the new Test Track in February, but on the fast pass line - there was almost no options that time for designing your car, you basically just picked color and if you wanted to focus on power/efficiency/etc. So this experience, of having the 3 minutes or whatever to design the car, was awesome! We had so much fun doing it and it was such an important part of the ride experience that I'm surprised they didn't have us do it last time. The ride itself is still basically the same, I enjoy it as much as I used to before the changes. You can't even see my face in the ride picture because my hair is flying in my face, haha:

Then afterward we stuck around to play with all of the extra stuff: we put our car into a commercial, drove it around a virtual track, and took our picture with it. We also took pictures with some of the actual cars there and spent some time looking at the showroom. All told we spent over an hour in Test Track!

DH and my dad wanted to do Mission: Space. I've done it before, and I enjoy it, but my mom was going to go to the festival center so I decided to go with her. Good choice, because I was glad I got to see that stuff and the boys would've been bored and complaining in there! We also passed some more topiaries on the way:

Inside the Festival center we walked around. I bought a pin (I don't collect them like some people, but I do buy one every trip that I feel represents the trip itself - so a flower and garden pin was perfect for this time!). We also got our free Garden passports! This has a list of all the booths, food, and topiaries, and you can get it stamped at each location. Throughout the day we managed to collect all of the stamps!

Once the men were done traveling to Mars we all headed over to get fastpasses from Soarin' (well, my mom didn't get a fastpass because she has a fear of heights, but the rest of us did!). While we waited we went to Nemo.

We went on the ride and then stayed for Turtle Talk with Crush. This show is so adorable and always hilarious! One little girl asked Crush, "What's your favorite bug?" and I think he was pretty taken aback by the question! He paused for a moment and then asked her, "What's your favorite bug?" She said ladybug and he said that was his favorite too. Then a few questions later a young boy raises his hand. However, he was clearly nervous and forgot his question - he stuttered for a bit and then finally blurted out, "What's your favorite bug?" It was so funny - kids provide great entertainment sometimes ;) We checked out the tanks at the Seas and still had some time left so we sampled sodas from Club Cool.

We went on Soarin', which was a great ride as always. My mom did Living with the Land while we were on it, which she enjoyed as well. We were pretty hungry by then, and our plan was the eat around the World at the Flower and Garden booths, so we started to head for the World Showcase. Passed some more topiaries along the way, of course:

Also stepped in the Butterfly House, which was a really nice feature!

The very first booth that we came to was Fruits by the Glass, and we got two wines to sample - mango wine and blueberry wine. Both were very good!

For detailed descriptions and pictures of the foods we tried at the Flower and Garden booths, check out my Dining Review as I update it. I'll mention everything we tried here but put most of the pics and info over there!

Our first stop was Mexico. We tried three items from here: the Rosita Margarita, the tacos de Carnitas, and the Tostada de Jaiba (crab). Everything was good but I thought the crab tostada was amazing! Since we'd been go-go-go all day we sat at the outdoor seating area for awhile, relaxing.

We were also entertained by this bird, who kept trying to get a bit of everyone's food - and when one woman got up, he successfully took a bit of whatever she was eating! :scared1:

I hadn't seen that Phineas and Ferb topiary before. :cool2:

Love your Turtle Talk with Crush write up! :thumbsup2

I hadn't seen that Phineas and Ferb topiary before. :cool2:

Love your Turtle Talk with Crush write up! :thumbsup2

I always love doing Turtle Talk! Last time we were there we had a kid who asked Crush, "What does turtle taste like?" Crush definitely did not appreciate that question, haha! :rotfl:

Looks like you got lots of beautiful shots from Epcot. The Phineas and Ferb topiaries are definitely pretty cool, but where's Perry? (hee, hee)

Love this update! I also have to tell you before becoming a SAHM I was really considering getting my masters in library science, it sounds weird but working in a library is my dream job! I worked at the the library all through College and loved it! At the time I was making decent money in finance and it just didn't make sense economically. Now I make NO money, so maybe when DS goes back to school I can work on that dream ;)

I am looking forward to reading more!

Looks like you got lots of beautiful shots from Epcot. The Phineas and Ferb topiaries are definitely pretty cool, but where's Perry? (hee, hee)

Haha I know! The funny thing is that the first time I took a picture I took it from the side and didn't get Perry in the picture at all! Then I spotted him and had to take one from the front ;)

Love this update! I also have to tell you before becoming a SAHM I was really considering getting my masters in library science, it sounds weird but working in a library is my dream job! I worked at the the library all through College and loved it! At the time I was making decent money in finance and it just didn't make sense economically. Now I make NO money, so maybe when DS goes back to school I can work on that dream ;)

I am looking forward to reading more!

I hope you do! I absolutely love libraries so I can only hope that I find an actual job in one soon!

Epcot - Afternoon

After sampling some of the Mexican food, we of course had to go inside and go on the Mexican boat ride (as we call it)! Back on our one big family trip that we took when I was 8 and my brother was 6, we were terrified by some of the bigger rides. However, we loved el Rio del Tiempo because it was so calm and peaceful! We rode it over and over again. So it has a lot of memories for our family. We enjoyed it once more, though I don't think my parents were as crazy about the new Three Caballeros stuff.

For the Flower and Garden festival there was also a lovely orchid display outside the Mexican building:

We also stopped to listen to the mariachi band! That's one of the things I love about the World Showcase - even if there aren't tons of "attractions," there's still lots of entertainment going on and interesting things to see and do.

Norway was our next stop:

We went on Maelstrom and looked at the overpriced sweaters for a bit. Norway had one topiary, a troll:

Then it was on to China, where we tried the Spring Pancake and the Kung Fu Punch at the Flower and Garden booth. There were two more topiaries here as well:

We stopped to watch the Chinese acrobats here too. They were amazing! I was also grateful to rest, because my feet were killing me and it was getting really hot out.

You may be able to tell from this picture how hot and exhausted I am!

In Germany we had a potato pancake, but DH didn't like it because it had onions. The Snow White and the 7 Dwarves topiary was here too, which was really neat:

Italy was next, where my mom had a lobster dish that she loved and I had refreshing strawberry rossini:

We also found the Lady and Tramp here:

We spent a lot of time in Italy, mostly because we found a shady spot to sit in and we just wanted to rest for awhile. I'm not sure why but I was in major pain in my feet. I do a lot of walking and jogging so this was a little surprising. We also decided to get some photopass pictures while we were there!

In America we didn't get any food, but we did of course have to check out the topiaries:

We also saw that the Voices of Liberty show was starting in ten minutes, so we decided to stay for that. I'd never seen it before and had always been interested. Plus we got to sit on the floor AND it was in the air conditioning! :woohoo:

They were extremely talented, sang some good songs, and the show lasted about 15 minutes long. I thought that was the perfect length for a theme park performance.

DH and I are were excited to get to Japan to try the food there! He had a spicy seafood dish that he absolutely loved, and I had the frushi - also quite delicious!

It was later in the afternoon now. Our plan was the hit up the rest of the countries before our dinner reservation at Rose and Crown. We were also meeting up with a friend of mine for dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter