Florida Beach Vacations

Miami Beach is gorgeous. If you want to stay at the panhandle, Pensacola may have better flight options and is probably as nice or nicer of a beach as Panama City, although they are almost identical, depending on what time of year you go and whether or not you miss the seaweed. Seaweed seems to be worse in PCB than the other panhandle beaches. I would recommend if you do go to Pensacola, to go left to Perdido Key, stay at Eden Condos, very nice spot.

I am looking for August.....is the seaweed bad then? I did read some stuff about the water being slimy and green at times at PCB.

Believe me I checked out all airports surrounding me (BOS, JFK,LGA). None go straight to Panama City (ECP). I have the option of Jacksonville but that is 4 hours away from what google tells me. Not fun in the car that long with my boys. lol I have considered Ft Lauderdale, Orlando or even Tampa.

I feel for you. We went to Destin last October, and had to drive from Philly to Baltimore, just to get a direct flight (I can't do stop-overs either). I really wish there were more flight options for that area of Florida.

Destin was beautiful, and well-worth the extra driving.

I am looking for August.....is the seaweed bad then? I did read some stuff about the water being slimy and green at times at PCB.

It can be depending on if the weed has come in, peeps that live there can tell you when its safe, late august may be ok

I have been to many beaches in Florida and, handsdown IMHO, the Sarasota beaches are the Best!!! You have Lido, Longboat, Siesta Key etc. There is so much to do in that area. Mote Aquarium is there, the Lowry Zoo in Tampa. Busch Gardens is about 45 minutes away. Jet BLue has a direct flight from Boston to Sarasota (SRQ). Sarasota is a super easy airport (similar to Providence).

Good luck with your decision.

Just another opinion, but I personally think the tampa bay beaches are by far the worst. I would rather go to Charleston South Carolina than the tampa area, after you get further south, they start to get nicer again, but last I stayed at Treasure Island outside tampa, horrible. Very merky ugly/dirty looking water, I didn't even want to swim in it.

Jupiter/West Palm

Fly into Palm Beach...

Very tropical, typically very clear water, and unbelievable snorkeling (you dont get that in the Panhandle). Better restaurant choices than PCB, short drive to everglades for airboat ride.Not as congested with vacationers everywhere you go.

You wont find this in the panhandle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oHffKlKfdw

I have been to many beaches in Florida and, handsdown IMHO, the Sarasota beaches are the Best!!! You have Lido, Longboat, Siesta Key etc. There is so much to do in that area. Mote Aquarium is there, the Lowry Zoo in Tampa. Busch Gardens is about 45 minutes away. Jet BLue has a direct flight from Boston to Sarasota (SRQ). Sarasota is a super easy airport (similar to Providence).

Good luck with your decision.

Any beach resorts on the beaches there? I am very interested in this area. Looking for a suite on the beach with activities for the kids too. Want a commercialized beach with tiki huts, restaurants, etc. Anything in that area?

TheAviator said:
Just another opinion, but I personally think the tampa bay beaches are by far the worst. I would rather go to Charleston South Carolina than the tampa area, after you get further south, they start to get nicer again, but last I stayed at Treasure Island outside tampa, horrible. Very merky ugly/dirty looking water, I didn't even want to swim in it.

Being from the area I agree. I love them still... But they are not the nicest Gulf beaches. Once you get down to the Sarasota area they start to get nicer.

I understand that Siesta Key is supposed to be almost as pretty as the Destin area.

OP, you are right, depending on the time of year, there can be sargassum (small brown tumbleweed like seaweed) and what they call JuneGrass (the slimy almost see-thru green stuff). this usually comes-in early June. Our last visit to Destin, it started coming in early, along with an early heat wave, in late May. Not sure about August... But I do know that occasionally it can still be there late summer into Sept????

Here is a photo of how incredibly gorgeous Destin beaches can be under ideal conditions. And, the Dining, Shopping, Activities, etc... there can't be beat.

http://destinbeach2011.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

Are you including the sarasota beaches??

We live closest to the beaches in Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale. But, our favorite Florida beach is Sanibel Island on Florida's west coast.

Any beach resorts on the beaches there? I am very interested in this area. Looking for a suite on the beach with activities for the kids too. Want a commercialized beach with tiki huts, restaurants, etc. Anything in that area?

We always stay a tthe Helmsley Sandcastle. It is direct oceanfront on Lido Beach. Check out their website. It's not a suite but a hotel room. The location and price can't be beat though. They do have tiki huts and a restaurant, two outdoor pool and an outdoor pool bar. They also have a menu at the pool bar so you can eat pool/beachside.

There are timeshares all around so I'm sure you can find out for rent. I will check it out and get back to you. My mom just booked a flight there for August at $300pp RT. She is taking my DD10 and staying at the Limetree Beach Resort.

I understand that Siesta Key is supposed to be almost as pretty as the Destin area.

OP, you are right, depending on the time of year, there can be sargassum (small brown tumbleweed like seaweed) and what they call JuneGrass (the slimy almost see-thru green stuff). this usually comes-in early June. Our last visit to Destin, it started coming in early, along with an early heat wave, in late May. Not sure about August... But I do know that occasionally it can still be there late summer into Sept????

Here is a photo of how incredibly gorgeous Destin beaches can be under ideal conditions. And, the Dining, Shopping, Activities, etc... there can't be beat.

http://destinbeach2011.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

That pic is beautiful! Where exactly did you stay in Destin? Which airport did you fly into?

We always stay a tthe Helmsley Sandcastle. It is direct oceanfront on Lido Beach. Check out their website. It's not a suite but a hotel room. The location and price can't be beat though. They do have tiki huts and a restaurant, two outdoor pool and an outdoor pool bar. They also have a menu at the pool bar so you can eat pool/beachside.

There are timeshares all around so I'm sure you can find out for rent. I will check it out and get back to you. My mom just booked a flight there for August at $300pp RT. She is taking my DD10 and staying at the Limetree Beach Resort.

Thank you....I would love more info. :goodvibes

We actually drive down...
We don't live close... but we can get there in a day!

The closes airport for this area, other than Panama City would be Northwest Florida Regional (VPS) across the bridge at Fort Walton.

One airline used to do non-stops from here, for a while.
But, I don't think they are doing that this year.

That photo was taken just outside of Destin.
I think it was here at Pompano Joes!
http://pompano-joes.com/photos.php?id=23

We stayed a little further outside of Destin, thru timeshare at the Sandestin Resort area.
Sandestin is a huge and amazing resort... But I can't recommend it during high season, because of the crowding, due to the size of the resort in relation to the size of their beach frontage.

Wonderful area though!!!

http://www.sandestin.com/

and here is the Hilton at the Sandestin resort...
Love to have lunch at their Barefoots bar and grill on the beach.
http://www.sandestinbeachhilton.com/

There are several DISers who are familiar with this area.
I could help you recommendations on which place to stay if you wanted to consider this area, and give details in what type of place you have in mind.

siesta key and sarasota area by far...clearwater is not as family friendly, that is where most of the "partiers" go - high school, college age.

Siesta key has lots of things close by to do
Mote Marine Aquarium
Ringling Museum
G Wiz
Selby Gardens
Sailor Circus
Drum Circle on the beach
Myakka St Park (airboat ride and see gators)
Go to Venice Beach - look for sharks teeth - sharks tooth capital of the world
Historic Spanish Point
Jungle Gardens
shop on St Armands Circle

lots of great restaurants

there is a beautiful beach resort in the keys called hawks cay, you can swim and feed dolphins. http://www.hawkscay.com/. it's 90 miles from miami and about an hour or so from key west. there is also a great park in the keys called bahia honda.

Wow!!! I am really liking this suggestion! That sounds like a great place and it would be fun to rent a car and check out all the beaches in the keys :) Would it be better to fly into Key West or Miami?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter