1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Florida Beach Vacations

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by lukenick1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. firecracker725

firecracker725 Somethin' Clever

You can easily drive from the Mobile airport, but Destin has a decent airport.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. flamom

flamom DIS Veteran

it really is a beautiful resort. i've only driven there so not sure what would be best. here is key west airport info. http://www.keywestinternationalairport.com/.

if you decide to stay there take a drive down to key west,it's definately worth the trip.

4. NotUrsula

NotUrsula DIS Veteran

Miami, definitely. Key West will cost a lot more and it's a darn long haul from Key West up to Marathon (Marathon is the island that HCR is located on.)

However, it is also a fairly long haul from Miami to Marathon; the Keys are a very long string of islands, and it is 115 miles from the Miami airport down to Marathon. That would normally take about 2 hrs and 15 minutes if traffic is good, but if there is a wreck you could sit for a LONG time. (Once you hit the Keys you are not on Interstate Hwy; it's mostly 3 lanes, and there are a lot of intersections and slow speed zones.)

Note that there are no natural beaches in the Keys; all of the beaches there are man-made, so they are relatively small.

5. lillygator

lillygator DIS Veteran

yes, if it is a "beach" you are after, the keys really don't have any pretty or nice beaches. Lots of fishing, snorkeling, diving though.

6. Stinkerbe11

Stinkerbe11 DIS Veteran

Another vote for Destin:thumbsup2 Soft white sand, gorgeous clear water and it's a very family friendly town. I'm biased because I live here, but we really do love it!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

Wow~~!!!!! We really need to visit here someday!!!

8. mhsjax

mhsjax DIS Veteran

Beautiful and I LOVE the Gulf coast, but my kids do not. OP, the big question for me, due to what my kids think, is will they be happy in flat water. My kids love to boogie board and my DD loves to surf. Flat water is a real snooze fest for them. If this is the case, stay away from the Gulf coast.

9. flamom

flamom DIS Veteran

10. lukenick1

lukenick1 DIS Veteran

WOW!!!!! Gorgeous! I wanted to come down in late August but hear about algae/seaweed at that time if year. What is your two cents?