Flight of Passage - Overrated?

Not sure 'overrated' is the term I would use, but it is one that I think gets less amazing the more times you ride it. I'm at about 30 minutes as the max I would wait at this point.

Soarin is when I want to relax
FoP is when I want an adventure
ROTR here I come next trip

FoP wasn’t blurry for me but I was pretty center and know outside seats tend to have that issue so that could be part of the reason some are not seeing it 100% clear

I find it simply amazing, but I can't ride it. It makes me incredibly nauseous and ruins the rest of my day. I've tried twice now and just can't.
My second time the screen was blurry, so it does happen. I thought it was my glasses, so I tried wiping them off but it didn't help. I don't remember what seat I was in though.

I'm not sure it was blurry, but I was a little disappointed in the ride. To me, it felt like I was just watching someone play World of Warcraft on the computer.... watching them on their flying mount or something.

View attachment 574347

My husband and kids also weren't impressed. I don't want to pooh-pooh on what people enjoy. Heck, my kids' favorite ride in all of WDW is Buzz Lightyear, and people could tear that ride to shreds if they wanted! So, for all of you who love Flight of Passage, I'm glad, but we just didn't feel the same way.

Yeah as a long time WoW player who quit around Pandaria I'm gonna have to say no on this one. They are absolutely not comparable experiences at all. Nobody's gaming rig is set up so they can feel their flying mount breathing and rumbling under them.

Sometimes I wonder if y'all who think this way went when the vehicle effects weren't working. I do know that's been an issue sometimes, and it would definitely kill the immersion factor if they're not working right.

You aren't suppose to be getting on a banshee.... your in a lab, so the simulator that connects you to the Avatar kind of fits the theming.

I get that, but I think most would prefer to feel like they are flying with them as opposed to a virtual flight effect. I know that isn't the "story" but they totally play it up you are flying on a banshee ...

We really enjoy it, but we were not blown away by it. I much prefer a 3D simulator ride where the vehicle also moves like Amazing Spider-man and Gringotts etc., and even better yet, if it's interactive like Smugglers Run (not-3D).

Last edited:
I loved it but not enough to stand in line for an hour. My s/o got really motion sick on it, so all things being equal we're sitting this one out. If fastpass was an option, I'd go alone.

Never thought it was blurry but could be a factor of where you are same as in soaring. It’s one of the best attractions out there and very immersive. Seems like some of the pre show is cut out right now so that detracts. Not everyone likes everything.
I totally lost the immersive feeling of it. I felt like I was on a ride vehicle looking at large screen that was somewhat blurry. The movement is cool but in no way did it feel like I was riding a mystical banshee unfortunately. I will have to give it another chance for sure.

I have ridden it several times across different trips. I experienced the blurry vision once. Not sure what was up with that, but it was disappointing. Usually I think it is breathtakingly immersive.

It's amazing...the wow factor is removed after the first ride.

Just wrap yourself in the immersion...pretend it's a real Banshee and it'll be that much cooler.

It's amazing...the wow factor is removed after the first ride.

Just wrap yourself in the immersion...pretend it's a real Banshee and it'll be that much cooler.
It just doesn't work that way. I am a child at heart, but it's Soarin 2.0, a beautiful ride for sure, but overhyped

The biggest issue with the 3D is on the edge seats, especially the top and bottom rows, seats 1 and 16. The two images simply don't line up for your eyes/brain to be able to interpret them into 3D. The screen really should be farther away from the seats - you can tell that this was the compromise between number of passengers and size of the building. The edge seats are "good enough".

I guarantee that people who sat in edge seats on their first try thought a lot less of it than those who sat in the center of the screen. There's just no comparison to the experience. (It's weird enough being anywhere on the first row and staring up at everything.)

The picture is crystal clear for myself and entire family. It's likely that those who see this ride as blurry have an undiagnosed eye condition that does not allow them to see properly during a movie or a ride with 3D glasses. I suspect that is the case with the OP and others who have commented that it is always blurry for them. See article below:

https://www.vision3d.com/whycant.html

The 3D doesn't always work well for me (especially in the dark scene, that's always awful until it starts to light up).

I've been fortunate enough to visit all the Disney parks around the world and FOP is among my top 3 rides in all the parks. I've ridden it 20-30 times and never had a blurry ride, but sounds as if that might be glasses related? FOP is always in the top three along with Pirates at Shanghai Disney. I also loved Tron, but I go back and forth with that one and a couple others. ROTR is an amazing ride, but I feel sometimes as if the technological advancements of the ride factor into my enjoyment rather than the ride itself, if that makes sense :)

I have also been to every park in the world, and I would put FOP in the top 5 for technology, but toward the bottom of my list for enjoyment. I absolutely loathe Avatar and am still annoyed they put Pandora in my favorite park, so it's just an afterthought for me. (Though I'm grateful for the shorter waits in the morning at Everest!)

I wholeheartedly agree that Pirates at Shanghai is an easy number one for immersive storytelling meets technology. Tron is amazing, but I'd put ROTR above it as a Star Wars nerd. Once you get into the combo of storytelling + technology, Tokyo's ToT, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Hunny Hunt also come into play. Not to mention Mystic Manor at HK and Ratatouille (ok so I like the maglev rides).

I have also been to every park in the world, and I would put FOP in the top 5 for technology, but toward the bottom of my list for enjoyment. I absolutely loathe Avatar and am still annoyed they put Pandora in my favorite park, so it's just an afterthought for me. (Though I'm grateful for the shorter waits in the morning at Everest!)

I wholeheartedly agree that Pirates at Shanghai is an easy number one for immersive storytelling meets technology. Tron is amazing, but I'd put ROTR above it as a Star Wars nerd. Once you get into the combo of storytelling + technology, Tokyo's ToT, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Hunny Hunt also come into play. Not to mention Mystic Manor at HK and Ratatouille (ok so I like the maglev rides).
You and I have very similar lists of faves. Mystic Manor is one of our faves, too. I think it's DS's favorite overall. I was shocked when I rode Ratatouille as I'd never heard much about it, but I *loved* it. It is one of my top 10 if not top 5. Did you happen to catch Tokyo's version of Soaring? It opened while we were there, and it was so different! Very fun. Journey to the Center of the Earth was one of my Tokyo Disney faves. I don't like Avatar either, but I just love that ride. It's the immersive nature of it, I think.

You and I have very similar lists of faves. Mystic Manor is one of our faves, too. I think it's DS's favorite overall. I was shocked when I rode Ratatouille as I'd never heard much about it, but I *loved* it. It is one of my top 10 if not top 5. Did you happen to catch Tokyo's version of Soaring? It opened while we were there, and it was so different! Very fun. Journey to the Center of the Earth was one of my Tokyo Disney faves. I don't like Avatar either, but I just love that ride. It's the immersive nature of it, I think.

YES! Tokyo's Soarin is cool but Shanghai's is just kind of bizarre. I didn't understand anything that was going on in the queue or pre-show. :D

I haven't noticed blurriness. It's a solid ride but not my favorite. I've only used fast passes to get on it. I wouldn't wait more than 45 minutes for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter