Fishing,accelerating modifying and MEP

Glitch? Hack? You make it sound like we're cheating. I consider MEP acceleration to be a feature of the Genie+ system. It avoids problems for Disney. Just as Disney allows people to tap in to their Genie+ LLs shortly before and after their one-hour return windows to avoid complaints about clocks not being the same, they allow people who have both MEPs and LLs to tap in and use their less-valuable LLs rather than accidentally using their more-valuable MEPs. I remember back under the Fastpass+ system at WDW being with people who had MEPs and had fastpasses for Haunted Mansion. They tapped into the ride during the five-minute before grace period for fastpasses and had the system take their MEPs instead of the fastpasses. Back then, the system only took the fastpass instead of the MEP if you tapped in during your one-hour period. (We were definitely in the five-minute before period. Some of us had fastpasses for the same time as those with the MEPs, but since we didn't have MEPs it took our fastpasses.) That caused unhappy customers. By always taking the LL instead of the MEP, Disney is now avoiding that problem with the Genie+ system. The fact that those of us with knowledge of how it works can take advantage of it does not mean it is a glitch or a hack, no more than knowing that you can tap into a LL up to five minutes early is a glitch or hack.
I agree. That's a feature.

Glitch? Hack? You make it sound like we're cheating. I consider MEP acceleration to be a feature of the Genie+ system. It avoids problems for Disney. Just as Disney allows people to tap in to their Genie+ LLs shortly before and after their one-hour return windows to avoid complaints about clocks not being the same, they allow people who have both MEPs and LLs to tap in and use their less-valuable LLs rather than accidentally using their more-valuable MEPs. I remember back under the Fastpass+ system at WDW being with people who had MEPs and had fastpasses for Haunted Mansion. They tapped into the ride during the five-minute before grace period for fastpasses and had the system take their MEPs instead of the fastpasses. Back then, the system only took the fastpass instead of the MEP if you tapped in during your one-hour period. (We were definitely in the five-minute before period. Some of us had fastpasses for the same time as those with the MEPs, but since we didn't have MEPs it took our fastpasses.) That caused unhappy customers. By always taking the LL instead of the MEP, Disney is now avoiding that problem with the Genie+ system. The fact that those of us with knowledge of how it works can take advantage of it does not mean it is a glitch or a hack, no more than knowing that you can tap into a LL up to five minutes early is a glitch or hack.
Correct, it is not a glitch - it is a feature. Genie+ has quirks and intricacies to take advantage of for people who take the (sometimes significant) amount of time to educate themselves about the system. The same was true for Fastpass. There were glitches and features of that system too - the more people took the time to understand them, the more value they extracted from the system. Remember the really old days when you could run around the park picking up Fastpasses every time you were eligible and then hold them all until the nighttime? There was a time they didn't enforce the return times and you could also get each ride more than once per day.

Acceleration is not limited to rebooking the same ride. If you book Indy and it breaks down, you have the MEP for use anytime that same day (in either park if you have a park hopper). You can then hypothetically book Space Mountain for 11:00am, but ride it at 9:00 am because of the "acceleration." The system SHOULD take the LL, not the MEP. When you scan into Space Mountain, you can then immediately book another ride and "accelerate" it again. The key is to have them scan the TICKET, not the MEP. If you use a MagicBand, it should automatically take the LL not the MEP. If on your phone, pull up the ticket or the LL itself.

To complicate things even further, there are different "tiers" of rides. Indy is the "gold tier" meaning it will work to accelerate any other ride. Some rides are "silver tier" meaning they only work to accelerate the same level of ride or lower. There's a post earlier in the thread outlining what rides fall in which category. For example, Indy is a gold tier ride, but Big Thunder is a silver tier ride. Big Thunder MEP's cannot accelerate Indy, but Indy can accelerate Big Thunder.

If it sounds too complicated, don't worry about it! Most days of the year LL availability at DLR is plentiful and you will have no problem booking tons of attractions each day without using the acceleration trick. Just make sure to get a new LL every time you are eligible. The system at DLR is NOTHING like the one at WDW - it works much better because there's more attractions in the two parks to soak up crowds than any one park at WDW (except for Magic Kingdom). There are also usually less people at DLR using Genie+ on any given day because of the local centric nature of the demographic.

Can you please explain What Accelerating is in the simplest terms possible. i've read most of this thread and still can't wrap my brain around it. I've NEVER been to Disneyland (Disneyworld 8 times) and I have never heard of this. Please help... thank you.
Looks like others answered for me. Reply again or DM me if you need further explanation.

As I understand it, accelerating is a glitch in the genie+ system. If you've booked a LL for a ride that is broken during the time you are scheduled to ride it, the app issues you a free pass (multi experience pass). However if you use the MEP for a ride that you have a later lightning lane for, the app will use the LL instead, keeping the MEP.

Example:
7:30 am - Scan in and fish for MEP by booking a LL for Indiana Jones.
8:10 am - Indiana Jones is broken, app alerts. you that they've given you a MEP.
8:30 am - Rebook Indiana Jones LL but it's for 3 pm.
9 am - Scan in to Indiana Jones with your magic band (or MEP potentially?) but the app takes your 3 pm LL and you still have your MEP.

I have never tried this because I don't want to risk loosing my MEP. I also am not clear if it works using your phone and scanning the MEP bar code they give you, or if there's another bar code you are supposed to scan. Maybe just your ticket code?
We didn't have MagicBands on March 9-11, 2024. We scanned the MEP barcodes on my phone for 4 people. We walked in, looked at phone, and the MEP was still there. The future LL was debited. I was nervous the first time too, but I'm glad that didn't stop me. The rest of the trip was incredible after realizing this feature.

The key is to have them scan the TICKET, not the MEP. If you use a MagicBand, it should automatically take the LL not the MEP. If on your phone, pull up the ticket or the LL itself.

One note ... if you are accelerating a LL, you can't pull up the LL barcode itself. The LL will not be activated since the return time isn't active. But no worries. You can scan the MEP barcode (or your park ticket barcode) and the LL will still be the one that is debited, leaving the MEP for more accelerations.

We never scanned our park ticket barcode. Just the MEP barcode. As long as we had a qualifying LL for that ride, the MEPs remained.

Last edited:
Same, I read this whole thread and can't get my WDW mind around it.

Can you please explain What Accelerating is in the simplest terms possible. i've read most of this thread and still can't wrap my brain around it. I've NEVER been to Disneyland (Disneyworld 8 times) and I have never heard of this. Please help... thank you.

“Accelerating” is when you’re holding BOTH:

A) a Multi-Experience Pass (“MEP”: compensation for something having gone wrong during your day);

*AND*

B) a Lightning Lane reservation for an attraction you’re going to ride with a scheduled return time later in the day…

*AND* when you scan at that attraction NOW (prior to the Lightning Lane scheduled return time)… the system uses your Lightning Lane reservation NOW, INSTEAD of deducting the Multi-Experience Pass from your ticket.

In theory, when this happens, you could repeat the process as long as Lightning Lane reservations continue to be available for attractions you want to ride, and your MEP continues not to be deducted. This unlikely at Disney World, and more likely at Disneyland.

Explanation:

First, understand it’s not a dependable strategy for an average guest visiting the park. There are lots of exceptions and situations where it doesn’t work as described above. The added complexity makes it not worthwhile for a vast majority of casual visitors. It also hinges upon something going wrong during your day… which is in itself not a great thing to hope for.

Why it Works at DL and not WDW:

At WDW, LL sell out much earlier, so it’s less likely you can grab a LL for later in the day to “Accelerate” to “ride right now” using a MEP. (MEPs may also be far less frequently given out at DisneyWorld because you’re not dealing with 1950’s engineering breaking down all the time.)

Steps to “Accelerate” a LL:

1) Get a MEP pass from the misfortune of experiencing an attraction going down.

2) Make a Lightning Lane reservation for the attraction you want to ride instead (regardless of the return time on the LL)

3) Scan in at the attraction immediately to ride right now instead of the Lightning Lane scheduled return time.

4) The scan may use your Lightning Lane return entitlement instead of your MEP, leaving you free to make your next Lightning Lane selection now to get back on track with your day.

Overall:

There are a variety of situations where this behavior of the system is as intended. Some people refer to it as a “glitch” or a “loophole”, which isn’t really correct.

You paid for a service to provide the convenience of shortening waits in line, then something happened to prevent you from riding the attraction as scheduled through no fault of your own. The MEP behavior allows you to recoup your lost time, inconvenience from rescheduling your day, additional walking to attractions away from your intended touring plan, making it to pre-paid reserved experiences and dining reservations, etc.

The ethics behind “fishing for compensation” to get an MEP may be advocated by others, but I wonder why it’s not against the rules of these boards… and I would recommend against fishing for compensation from any business.

“Accelerating” helps you make up lost time to get back on track. “Fishing for compensation”, by comparison, is a little like sending back your steak after eating 75% of it… or buying a service with the intent to get more than what the service includes… or… many other things that toe the line of dishonesty.

You don’t need to be dishonest to have a good time at a Disney park: just a lot of money and/or time.

“Accelerating” helps you make up lost time to get back on track. “Fishing for compensation”, by comparison, is a little like sending back your steak after eating 75% of it…
I think your analogy is a little hyperbolic. Going to a restaurant with a premeditated plan to get 75% of a steak for free is ridiculously unethical, and something that would get you banned or charged with theft if you tried to do it multiple times. That is something no one who has ever accelerated a LL would ever do.

Fishing for MEPs is something some of the best Disneyland YouTubers cover in their videos, even going for them when they have no intention of riding that particular ride.

It's a feature. And using that feature doesn't mean we are steak stealers.

I think your analogy is a little hyperbolic. Going to a restaurant with a premeditated plan to get 75% of a steak for free is ridiculously unethical, and something that would get you banned or charged with theft if you tried to do it multiple times. That is something no one who has ever accelerated a LL would ever do.

Hyperbole would be making an exaggerated statement like “No one who has ever accelerated has been ethical”.

I compared “fishing for compensation” with sending back a 75% eaten steak, not “accelerating”.

You can accelerate a LL reservation without being unethical for sure. That’s how the system is designed to work in some cases.

“Fishing for compensation”, on the other hand, is using the system in a way it was not designed to work… and could be seen as unethical. (Legal and allowable by Disney at the moment, but not necessarily ethical.)

Fishing for MEPs is something some of the best Disneyland YouTubers cover in their videos, even going for them when they have no intention of riding that particular ride.

Yes, there are a lot of unethical Disneyland YouTubers. They get banned from the parks and shamed regularly on here for other “hacks” (DAS abuse comes to mind…).

“Making reservations for an attraction with no intent of riding other than receiving compensation.” would be good first draft wording for a change to Disney’s list of prohibited behaviors to prevent abuse. Yes.

There are few ethical tests you can apply to situations like these… including “would this system still work if everyone took the same or similar action” and “would I still agree with this action taking place if I didn’t know if I was the service provider or the patron?”

What do you think would be the best strategy to maximize my time with a 1 day park hopper starting at DL? Also planning on a mid-day break, then head to DCA. What gold tier MEPs should I look for?

“Accelerating” is when you’re holding BOTH:

A) a Multi-Experience Pass (“MEP”: compensation for something having gone wrong during your day);

*AND*

B) a Lightning Lane reservation for an attraction you’re going to ride with a scheduled return time later in the day…

*AND* when you scan at that attraction NOW (prior to the Lightning Lane scheduled return time)… the system uses your Lightning Lane reservation NOW, INSTEAD of deducting the Multi-Experience Pass from your ticket.

In theory, when this happens, you could repeat the process as long as Lightning Lane reservations continue to be available for attractions you want to ride, and your MEP continues not to be deducted. This unlikely at Disney World, and more likely at Disneyland.

Explanation:

First, understand it’s not a dependable strategy for an average guest visiting the park. There are lots of exceptions and situations where it doesn’t work as described above. The added complexity makes it not worthwhile for a vast majority of casual visitors. It also hinges upon something going wrong during your day… which is in itself not a great thing to hope for.

Why it Works at DL and not WDW:

At WDW, LL sell out much earlier, so it’s less likely you can grab a LL for later in the day to “Accelerate” to “ride right now” using a MEP. (MEPs may also be far less frequently given out at DisneyWorld because you’re not dealing with 1950’s engineering breaking down all the time.)

Steps to “Accelerate” a LL:

1) Get a MEP pass from the misfortune of experiencing an attraction going down.

2) Make a Lightning Lane reservation for the attraction you want to ride instead (regardless of the return time on the LL)

3) Scan in at the attraction immediately to ride right now instead of the Lightning Lane scheduled return time.

4) The scan may use your Lightning Lane return entitlement instead of your MEP, leaving you free to make your next Lightning Lane selection now to get back on track with your day.

Overall:

There are a variety of situations where this behavior of the system is as intended. Some people refer to it as a “glitch” or a “loophole”, which isn’t really correct.

You paid for a service to provide the convenience of shortening waits in line, then something happened to prevent you from riding the attraction as scheduled through no fault of your own. The MEP behavior allows you to recoup your lost time, inconvenience from rescheduling your day, additional walking to attractions away from your intended touring plan, making it to pre-paid reserved experiences and dining reservations, etc.

The ethics behind “fishing for compensation” to get an MEP may be advocated by others, but I wonder why it’s not against the rules of these boards… and I would recommend against fishing for compensation from any business.

“Accelerating” helps you make up lost time to get back on track. “Fishing for compensation”, by comparison, is a little like sending back your steak after eating 75% of it… or buying a service with the intent to get more than what the service includes… or… many other things that toe the line of dishonesty.

You don’t need to be dishonest to have a good time at a Disney park: just a lot of money and/or time.
The smoke has cleared and I see the light....thank you.

One thing to be careful of- I had a group of 5 and accidentally scanned one MEP twice, so it counted both the LL and the MEP
I did the same thing a few trips ago. I was so sad to lose the MEP for one in our party of 6. Luckily, I just put the "fishing pole" back in the water and got another MEP soon enough!! But do be VERY careful when scanning into the ride.

Been doing some light studying through ThrillData but curious to ask you all (as my May trip approaches) - do y’all find that Indy or Runaway Railway is the better option for MEP fishing? I’ve been great at refreshing to get LLs I want but want to try accelerating during our next trip!

Been doing some light studying through ThrillData but curious to ask you all (as my May trip approaches) - do y’all find that Indy or Runaway Railway is the better option for MEP fishing? I’ve been great at refreshing to get LLs I want but want to try accelerating during our next trip!
Indy. 💯
Best case: you get to ride early in the day. Worst case: you can ride whenever.

And if you do ride it right away- book another…

It's a feature. And using that feature doesn't mean we are steak stealers.

The more popular this becomes the more likely Disney is to close the "loophole." That is if they even care. I mean with a name like Multi-Experience Pass, it is almost like they WANT you to use it that way.

The more popular this becomes the more likely Disney is to close the "loophole." That is if they even care. I mean with a name like Multi-Experience Pass, it is almost like they WANT you to use it that
Which is why I recommended the most in demand priority ride they want to do. If it goes down: potential bonus. If not: you got what you wanted. Fishing for fishing sake is … shallow, cringe. Esp If you aren’t going to use it. Now if OP wants to maximize their visit and willing to pay for it… play smart.

Which is why I recommended the most in demand priority ride they want to do. If it goes down: potential bonus. If not: you got what you wanted. Fishing for fishing sake is … shallow, cringe. Esp If you aren’t going to use it. Now if OP wants to maximize their visit and willing to pay for it… play smart.

Definitely about maximizing - bringing my brother for his first ever trip to Disneyland for two days, grabbed Genie+ and park hopper for both days but want him to be able to ride all of his favorites as many times as he wants, so MEPs help with that goal 😁 Think I’ll just fish in the AM while we’re doing standby at rope drop but then move on if I can’t get anything - don’t want to waste actual LLs just for this lol.

Updated as of 4/26/2024
Disneyland Gold Tier MEPs

Indiana Jones (most likely to go down during the day)
Space Mountain
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (most likely to go down during the day)
Matterhorn (most likely to go down during the day)
Haunted Mansion Holiday (holiday version only)
Small World Holiday (holiday version only)
Disneyland Silver Tier MEPs
Haunted Mansion (non-holiday version)
Big Thunder Mountain (most likely to go down during the day)
Small World (non-holiday version) (most likely to go down during the day)
Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run
Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin (most likely to go down during the day)
Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters
Star Tours
Autopia
Pirates of the Caribbean

Disney California Adventure Gold Tier MEPs
Spider-Man Web Slingers (most likely to go down during the day)
Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout (same for non-holiday and holiday version)
Toy Story Midway Mania (most likely to go down during the day)
Disney California Adventure Silver Tier MEPs
Incredicoaster (most likely to go down during the day)
Goofy's Sky School (most likely to go down during the day)
Grizzly River Run (most likely to go down during the day)
Soarin
Monsters Inc (most likely to go down during the day)

Special Notes
- MEPs are not allowed to be used for non-LL attractions. HOWEVER, some Cast member will still allow it.
- MEPs can accelerate LLs that have not been used before. For example, it is 12pm and you have a GOLD MEP plus a LL for Space Mountain for 5pm. You can use that LL for Space Mountain at anytime.
- When scanning an MEP for an accelerated LL, DO NOT scan the barcode/magic band for each guest more than once. If you scan the same guest twice it will take the LL and the MEP for that guest away from you. However, if this happens to you the Guest Services Cast Members at the podiums can add your MEP back into the app for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter