First Timers Report Day 4 - IOA, Mythos and Shopping

LouiseB

Earning My Ears
The Crew:
Paul (31), loves his gadgets, aka young man (!)
Louise (39), planner extraordinaire, aka old girl

Thursday, April 25th

Tiredness was catching up with us now and we didn’t wake up until 8.30 am, so after the usual breakfast on the balcony, it was just before 10am when we arrived at Universal. We parked in King Kong and proceeded to City Walk. The back of Paul’s neck was quite red and sore from the sun, as were our noses and the backs of my knees, so Paul wanted to buy a foreign legion type hat to protect himself and we also decided to buy sunblock to use in addition to our lotion. We looked around the shops in City Walk but the only hat like the one he wanted, looked ridiculous on him, so he decided to buy an Islands of Adventure baseball cap and wear it backwards!

Eventually, we entered IOA and was approached by a member of staff carrying out a survey, asking where we were from and what sort of ticket we had bought etc, then she asked our ages. I hesitated on that subject, as usual, and Paul said he was 31, so she said ‘and what are you…. 26?’ Did I ever tell you how much I love Americans, and especially the Universal staff? No, I thought not! Well, even I know I couldn’t get away with being 26, but I took her compliments very happily, along with her comments about having a contended smile on my face!!

First stop was The Cat in the Hat, not sure why we did this one, but we were easing ourselves into the big rides later. Anyway, there was no queue and it started the day off gently. Next, into The Lost Continent, and got an Express ticket for the 11am showing of Poseidon’s Fury and went off to ride The Flying Unicorn in the meantime. For a tame little coaster, this was pretty good and was faster than we thought. Then into Poseidon’s Fury with some very dramatic special effects, including (I am reliably informed by Paul) water projection!?

We were now suitable ‘warmed up’ to ride Duelling Dragons. Again, not much of a queue here either and elected to ride Fire. This one lived up to its reputation, however, I thought the near miss was going to be a bit closer. This was the only ride which made our legs wobble all over the place when we got off. We then discussed that we just don’t find these rides frightening enough, but decided that if they were, then they would be positively dangerous! Paul said that if we rode it again, he would like to ride it upfront, so we could get even more thrills!

It was now about 1.30pm and we were getting hungry by this stage, and had already decided we were going to Mythos for lunch. After a short wait, we were seated. Again, a very nice table with a really good view of Incredible Hulk, which we decided didn’t look all that bad after all. The food was excellent here, I had balsamic chicken with garlic potatoes and yet another chocolate milkshake and Paul had a chicken club sandwich with fries and coke. The chicken club wasn’t as we had expected and was more like a chicken breast burger, but he said it was very nice! We had no room for pudding, which was a real shame and the bill came to $34.03 plus tip.

We then went into the Triceratops Discovery Trail and although I knew it wasn’t, I did ask Paul if it was real. Sometimes, I like him to wonder if I mean what I say or not – keeps the young man interested!!

I know that I should have known better, but it had to be done, we then went on the Jurassic Park River Adventure. I should have realised when I got on what I was in for, as the seat I was sat in which was on the edge, was already wet. True to form, I got a dowsing and Paul found it all highly amusing as usual!

Unfortunately, time was against us again and we had to bypass the two water rides in Toon Lagoon, which although we wanted to do them, given my penchant for getting wet, it was probably a good thing! Just caught the end of the Toon Lagoon Beach Bash with Popeye, Olive Oil and others dancing in the street and headed off to Marvel Super Hero Island. Again, a short queue time for Spiderman, so we went on in. I managed to get a really good pic (even if I say so myself) of Spiderman before we boarded the ride. This ride was excellent and as usual I screamed to order.

spiderman.jpg

Next stop, Incredible Hulk Coaster, another excellent ride and seemed to be over all too quickly. By now, I have a very sore throat again from too much screaming, and Paul does too! No wobbly legs though, so Duelling Dragons wins the day for us!

We were feeling a little tired by now, so went back to the condo again to freshen up and relax for a while before heading out for a bit of retail therapy. We firstly went to Belz Designer Outlet and weren’t that impressed so headed on up to Belz Factory Outlet, which we thought was much better. First stop was the Timberland shop, and I saw a pair of bowling-type shoes which I nearly bought the week before we left in House of Fraser for £65, but they didn’t have them in my size. Obviously this years UK stock is last years US, because they were $34.99!! I would have been totally devastated if I had paid £65 for them. Obviously, I couldn't afford not to buy them at that price and also bought three pairs of trainer socks, as they were 3 for the price of 2, spent $50.34 in here. Then went to the Nike shop, Paul pondered over the trainers section for what seemed like an age, but couldn’t find the right style in the right size, so just bought two T-shirts for a very reasonable $25.42.

On the way home, we stopped off at Subway and bought a 6” tuna sub for me and a 12” turkey one for Paul, cost $8.49, which we ate when we got back to the condo, and they were very nice. As usual, reviewed the days video activity and retired for the night.

This holiday is just getting better each day – Tomorrow, Animal Kingdom.

Well, you're certainly a braver person than me Louise with all those coasters!! :)

Water projection?!! (hmm, yes, of course, I knew that??!! :confused: )

Astrid

btw. I just think I'm up to date with your reports and then you go and post another! - Stop it, I want to go to bed!! :)

IoA is fantastic isn't it?

My 6 year old DD has a long running argument about the triceratops encounter - she swears its a real dinosaur and the teacher swears it can't be.....DD is slowly wearing her down!

Duelling dragons is also my favourite.....spiderman comes a close second though!

This holiday is just getting better each day
Isn't it great when you feel like that? Makes me wish our October trip was coming up a bit sooner!

Seems like you are having a really great time. Mythos always comes out well in peoples' reviews so have decided we may try this next time. Carolyn

Mythos is slowly increasin it's appeal as more positive reports come in.

Lookin forward to readin about yer upfront experience on Dragons- bet yer legs wobbled then! :eek:

Another thing I can relate to Paul with is the choice at the Nike shop. Much too much for a lad to pick in a hurry.

Duelling dragons is fantastic..:D

Love the pic of Spiderman...:)

What a bargain those shoes were.....We like looking around Belz. ;)
Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks for the wonderful report - luv reading them!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter