First time with DP will be the last

I need advice, please.
First trip is next July for 6 days.
Ten people........6 adults, 3 kids, one 10 year old who I put down as an adult.

Right now I booked with the DDP and have already made our ADR's. Since I'm paying for the plan for all 10, I made it clear to the group what is included and what is not included. I figured overall it would be easier in the long run. I agree that the plan is not flexible........I also agree that the cost savings, if any, will not be astronomical........but won't the convenience be worth it?

Appreciate any suggestions?

I can definitely see how it would be helpful in that situation. Everyone gets a certain number of credits on your dime, and anything else will be their responsibility.

Thanks......I made ADR's at Akershus, 'Ohana, BOG, Tusker House (breakfast),
Mama Melrose/Fantasmic and Hoop Dee Doo Dinner/Show......Does the DDP make sense for those? We have 6 TS credits each so will have to either swap one for a CS or pay OOP for one........can I pay OOP for either BOG or MM?

It's really up to you. BoG or TH would probably be the better ones to pay for OOP. For my trip with the Dining Plan, I scheduled one ADR too many, and ended up canceling it the night before, because we had leftover snacks and CS credits, so we didn't need another sit down meal. It was the least expensive for us, so paying OOP wouldn't have been bad, but we didn't need it.

As per the convenience discussion, I think it's a matter of perception. It's a similar idea as someone only being able to handle a budget if they pay for everything in cash. If they have the cash in hand, they know exactly how much money they have to spend, and they can't spend more. If it's a piece of plastic, it's harder to attach the value to it.
If you're only spending credits, then you don't have to worry about the actual cost of things. DH loves the dining plan for that reason.

I'm the opposite way though. When on the dining plan, I wanted to "maximize" it, so I would lean towards the more expensive things on the menu, so I wasn't getting what I wanted anyways.

The way I deal with it is look at the menus and guess what we'll order. Sometimes I'll just average out all the entrees. I also expect that we'll probably order flavored drinks or dessert sometimes, but not every time. Maybe we'll split an appetizer. I try to estimate on the high side, then I budget that amount for the trip. For us, seeing that the amount of money is set aside allows us to be comfortable in our ordering, and not even really worry about the exact amount we're spending.
I also figure out what we'd spend if we did go by the dining plan. It pretty much always comes out as breaking even, but it would leave us with a whole lot of desserts and drinks that we have no intention of consuming, so we end up losing 10-20%.

I definitely see the appeal. I really enjoyed being on the dining plan, but I also enjoy the flexibility of being able to cancel our hotel at the last minute with a room-only stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter