First time planning trip to Walt Disney World - Help Needed

sadio

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone!

So I am planning a trip in the near future to Walt Disney World, for my cousin and I. We would be departing from Edmonton and we will not have access to a car while in Florida.

While we are more likely than not going to book the airfare ourselves, our research has indicated we have several options for booking accommodations, park tickets, and dining options (if applicable).

We have considered the following options for booking accommodations, park tickets, and dining options.

1. Mouse Fan Travel
  2. Fairtale Dreams and Destinations
  3. Dreams Unlimited Travel
  4. Small World Vacations
  5. WestJet Vacation Package
  6. Air Canada Vacation Package

Based on the above, would anyone be able to help me make recommendations on what the best option would be to go about planning? Obviously, we would be looking for the most inexpensive to moderatly priced option. We are thinking of staying for 6 nights.

How has everyone's success/luck been with booking everything on there own? Were you able to get comparable or even more savings than compared to booking with a Authorized Disney Travel Agent?

Also, do the Authorized Disney Travel Agencies only consider accomodations that are Disney owned and operated hotels or do they also take into consideration hotels located on/near the Disney World property but not operated by Disney (e.g. Royal Plaza in the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort , Hilton in the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort , etc)?

Assuming that we do have to book everything on our own (flight and accommodations) can anyone recommend which places to get tickets from (a.k.a. places that sell tickets at the cheapest cost)?

Thank you for your time and consideration in looking at my post!:)

I do hope I have provided enough information, if not, I will be more than happy to provide more!

First of all welcome!!

My DH and I fly from Edmonton to Orlando twice a year (May and October) and our experience has been that the US carriers are much cheaper and have better flight schedules out of Edmonton than flying with AC or WJ. We've gotten some pretty good fares with Northwest/Delta and most recently United.

One good thing about flying on a US carrier out of EIA is that you clear US customs in Edmonton whereas flying on AC or WJ, you most likely will have to clear customs in either Calgary or Toronto which means collecting your luggage, going through US customs and then rechecking your luggage which can take some time.

We book everything ourselves vs using a travel agent as you have control over your bookings. If done though one of the agencies, they technically own the booking and any changes you make will have to be done through them (eg. if your flight happens to change for any reason (time, stopovers, etc), you can't change your flight - the travel agency has to do it).

Disneyworld room rates vary from season to season, so it all depends on when you are looking at going. Value resorts are the cheapest and Deluxe resorts the most expensive. Since you won't have a car, staying onsite gives you access to Magic Express (transportation to and from the airport to your resort) and Disney transportation to the parks from your resort. You may find cheaper accommodation off-site, but most off-site hotels don't offer transportation to and from the airport, plus their shuttles to the parks are limited to certain times throughout the day.

Booking accommodations and buying park tickets can be done online at Disneyworld.com. However, if you choose to use someone like Dreams Unlimited, they will watch for any applicable discounts to room rate that you may be entitled to (CAA/AAA discount, general public discounts) rather than you watching and having to call Disney to have that discount applied to your reservation.

It's really just a matter of personal preference whether you prefer to do the bookings yourself or if you have no problem letting someone else take control of your bookings. We like to have the control to change our plans, flights and hotel dates if need be.

A great website to check out for planning a WDW vacation is mousesavers.com :thumbsup2

1.Based on the above, would anyone be able to help me make recommendations on what the best option would be to go about planning?

Do it yourself

2.How has everyone's success/luck been with booking everything on there own? Were you able to get comparable or even more savings than compared to booking with a Authorized Disney Travel Agent?

Was very easy to do myself. Since you have done so much research already you should only require a small amount of assistance via the DIS boards or reading a travel book. You have complete control if you handle the reservation yourself. If you book through an agent they have to make any changes for you. The agent can offer a possible incentive to book with them however they will not give you a cheaper price than anywhere else or by doing it yourself. Just because the agent is Authorized does not make them experts. My travel agent is well rounded and experienced in all areas of travel (not just Disney) plus she is local, not on the opposite side of Canada or in another country. The value resorts are the cheapest.

3.Also, do the Authorized Disney Travel Agencies only consider accomodations that are Disney owned and operated hotels or do they also take into consideration hotels located on/near the Disney World property but not operated by Disney (e.g. Royal Plaza in the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort , Hilton in the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort , etc)?

You would have to ask each agency individually.

4.Assuming that we do have to book everything on our own (flight and accommodations) can anyone recommend which places to get tickets from (a.k.a. places that sell tickets at the cheapest cost)?

Undercover Tourist

Thank you very much for the quick replies.

- I am glad to know that I have more options in terms of flying with US based airlines

- I was just under the assumption that Authorized Disney Travel Agents would be able to save me more money because I figured they would have access to special deals, promotions, etc that would not be available to the general public?

I wonder if anyone has stayed at any hotels/resorts near or on the Disney World property not owned/operated by Disney could give me opinions on there experiences? The only reason I ask is because staying at these options could more like than not be a little to much cheaper than staying at even a value resort for Disney. Based on some research I have done... some of the deals I have found even include free continental breakfast which would save quite a bit of money.

Some more questions that I have thought of:

1. If I want to make reservations at Restaurants on the Disney World property, how often in advance can I make these reservations if I choose not to opt for the Disney Dining plan option?

2. I'm on the fence about utilizing the Disney Dining plan option because it obviously adds quite a bit to the cost and well.... seeing how my cousin and I are not big eaters... i'm not sure if we'd utilize the disney dining option to its fullest value/potential. Anyone have opinions on this.... advantages/disadvagtages from person experiences?

Again, thank you to all who have been replying to this thread!

1. If I want to make reservations at Restaurants on the Disney World property, how often in advance can I make these reservations if I choose not to opt for the Disney Dining plan option?

180 days. I believe it is 180 + 10 if booked onsite (not sure if this changed or not).

2. I'm on the fence about utilizing the Disney Dining plan option because it obviously adds quite a bit to the cost and well.... seeing how my cousin and I are not big eaters... i'm not sure if we'd utilize the disney dining option to its fullest value/potential. Anyone have opinions on this.... advantages/disadvagtages from person experiences?

DDP is only available if you stay onsite. If you are trying to stay within a budget it may be the best way to go as far as knowing exactly what your food costs are. Lots of decent counter service places to eat at without breaking the bank if you choose to stay offsite. :thumbsup2

You have received some great advice here already:thumbsup2 I do want to add to the suggestion to go to mousesavers.com. When you go to the site register to receive the newsletter. It comes by email on the 15th of every month. This is especially helpful of you want to stay offsite as she often has exclusive offers for downtown Disney hotels. (not Disney owned, but in the Downtown Disney district, so very close by). She also has links in the newsletter to reputable ticket brokers with slight discounts on the passes.

You don't say when you are going, but if it is as late as August, you might want to wait and see if a free dining offer comes out for Disney resorts. If you stay at a Value resort it basically works out to free food.

Good Luck:)

I'm not too sure when I would be going but it would most likely be towards the end of this year or early next year. I just figured its not too early to gather information well before hand.

I noticied that some of the Downtown Disney Resorts offer shuttle bus services to the outlet malls. Was wondering if anyone had experience with these shuttle bus destinations and could tell me there experiences? As well, how far are these outlet malls from the Disney World property? I do ask because one of the days in Orlando I would like to do some outlet shopping and was wondering if the shuttle buses that go there are reliable or if it would be better to just cab it (if so, how much would this cost approximately)?

My second question has to do with grocery/food shopping. To save on costs I was thinking of going maybe once or twice for grocery shopping. Was wondering if there are any grocery stores close to the Downtown Disney Resorts and how much a cab ride would cost to get there.... or is it within walking distance? Alternatively, I was wondering if there are any grocery stores near to any of the outlets?

The outlets I am referring to are Orlando Premium Outlet Stores and Lake Buena Vista Factory Outlets.

Thank you very much for the quick replies.

- I was just under the assumption that Authorized Disney Travel Agents would be able to save me more money because I figured they would have access to special deals, promotions, etc that would not be available to the general public?

If you are booking a package and are a CAA member you can book with an CAA travel agent and get a discount that you can't get anywhere else. Almost guaranteed it's not the best deal however. As far as I know that is the only "deal" you could get by going with a TA exclusively. You can get a discount on a room rate with CAA by phoning WDW directly. It's only with a CAA package that you need to book with a TA to get the discount.

Any other promotion can be booked directly with WDW and you would get the exact same discount as with a TA.

All Disney's promotions and codes are open to the public. You don't need a TA to get the best price. If you check here and on Mousesavers you can hear about any applicable deals and codes ASAP and apply them.

No, they do not offer any additional discounts. Any discounts they can get, you can get by booking yourself (except the CAA/AAA package).

It's 180 days from your arrival date. If you arrive on October 1, 2010, you can make your ADR's for that day on April 4, 2010 ... October 2nd would be April 5th, October 3 would be April 6th. If you are staying on-site at Disney you would be able to make your ADRs for the entire trip rather than making ADRs day by day. (that's what they call 180+10)

I'm not too sure when I would be going but it would most likely be towards the end of this year or early next year. I just figured its not too early to gather information well before hand.
Keep an eye out for discounts ... As I said previously, take a look at the mousesavers historical discount calendar. There are often general public discount codes that will save you 30-40% on your room. Free dining is another promotion offered (although you pay rack rate for your room).

I noticied that some of the Downtown Disney Resorts offer shuttle bus services to the outlet malls. Was wondering if anyone had experience with these shuttle bus destinations and could tell me there experiences? As well, how far are these outlet malls from the Disney World property? I do ask because one of the days in Orlando I would like to do some outlet shopping and was wondering if the shuttle buses that go there are reliable or if it would be better to just cab it (if so, how much would this cost approximately)?
The outlet mall is about 10 miles from Magic Kingdom or about 5 miles from Epcot. Unfortunately we've never taken a shuttle from any hotel to the mall so can't comment on their reliability.

My second question has to do with grocery/food shopping. To save on costs I was thinking of going maybe once or twice for grocery shopping. Was wondering if there are any grocery stores close to the Downtown Disney Resorts and how much a cab ride would cost to get there.... or is it within walking distance? Alternatively, I was wondering if there are any grocery stores near to any of the outlets?
There are no grocery/food stores within walking distance of Disney. I believe the closest food stores would be in Lake Buena Vista. I think there is a Winn Dixie on South Apopka Vineland Road (which is close to the Outlet Mall). If there is something closer, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I would book on your own as PP said you have control over your reservation. Check the reservation board about room promo's

I would recommend picking up a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW, it is full of information. It includes information about the onsite resorts and offsite hotels.

The best thing about booking with those authorized travel agents is not having to do everything yourself. Yes, you can find the same deals, and no, they don't have access to special discounts, but it's just a whole lot easier to have them make the calls and do the reservations for you.

I booked with Mouse Fan Travel this time and just loved it. All the authorized travel agents will instantly apply a certain discount to your booking if you're eligible, so you don't have to be watching it yourself and you don't have to make the change yourself.

If you're booking a package with Disney (which would make you eligible for the dining plans), you can consider the QSDP if you're not a big eater. It costs less and you don't have to plan as much TS meals.

For grocery shopping, I see a lot of people on DIS recommending www.gardengrocer.com. You can order grocery from them and they'll deliver it right to your hotel, so you don't have to pay for that cab trip out of WDW. I hear it gets good reviews.

For a first-timer, I think it can be a huge benefit to using a travel agent who specializes in WDW. For starters, rather than spending several days on the these boards posting questions and follow-ups, you can speak directly to the agent and have your questions answered right away.

I used a travel agent when I booked our first trip and, as it turned out, I probably knew more about many of the small details (primarily b/c of these boards) than the travel agent...and that agent did not do ADR bookings for his clients! However, it didn't cost me anything to use him and it gave me somebody to talk to about my planned itinerary for WDW to make sure that it all hung together.

I would also suggest that, at this point, the most useful tool you can use to get you started on your planning is to buy one of the popular WDW guide books -- e.g., Passporter, The Unofficial Guide to WDW -- and work your way through the first few sections of those publications. All of them will give you the "basics" about a WDW vacation in a structured manner and get you started on your way.

These boards are great but you may end up being overwhelmed by all the well-intentioned advice and recommendations....and you'll start getting bogged down with information on stuff that is probably premature at this early stage of your planning. IMHO, where the advice from these boards is most helpful is when the answer to your question doesn't jump out at you in the published guides, the advice/recommendation in the guide doesn't make any sense to you and you want to figure out if you are missing something, or you want a second opinion on a particular choice you are facing.

For a first trip I would book with a Disney Specialized TA, like the ones you mentioned, I have used Ears to You TA, and find a WDW specialized agent is invaluable bacause of the advice they can give you, help and suggestions with touring plans, restaurants, which resort to stay in, assuming you are staying on site- highly recommended IMO. I would get a WDW package with basic Dining plan. The best part of using a WDW specialized TA is that they know when WDW is putting out promos, and will apply it automatically to your reservation. Sometimes WDW will come out with 2 or more promos at the same time, and the TA can do the "Disney Math" and figure out which is the best for you. They will also help with making dining reservations.
I wouldn't go with Air Can or Westjet.
I also make my own air reservations. I do a search on Kayak.com and keep watching fares, also sign up for fare watchers on West Jet, Air Can, and any other airlines who fly out of your airport to Florida. But let the WDW TA book everything else.
Another bonus of staying on site is that you get free airport transportation to and from MCO, extra magic hours, and other perks.

I'd also do a bit of research, good touring books: WDW-The Unofficial Guide is good, Passporter, and for web sites with good touring plans and Crowd Calendar I like touringplans.com well worth the $9.00 annual fee. I think some research goes a long way in making a good trip.

Good luck planning.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest