• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

When opening a Marriot Bonvoy CC, how long after making the $3000 in charges does it typically take for the 3 free nights bonus to get onto your account? It says up to 8 weeks, just wondering if it's usually much sooner than that.
If it's Chase much sooner. Amex, not sure although the yearly FNC take almost 2 months, but a signup bonus should be sooner.

I've read through a bunch of this, and am hoping for some help!
I have had a Chase SW Premier card for years, and never really fly SW anymore because they don't seem to have non-stop flights to wherever we are going. I've used it for recurring small purchases like dog food and monthly gym fees to get Disney GC every once in awhile with the points, but I don't want it anymore. The AF is $99 and due next month. And the interest rate is insane, so I would never use it for a big purchase to pay over time.

I also have a Jet Blue card which I use more often to get the miles.
But, I've had my SW card for YEARS and think it may hurt my credit to close it? Is there a way to switch to a better Chase card? Which one?
We don't have a Costco near us, we do have BJ's but no gas station (!), and prefer Hilton over Marriot ( just where we tend to stay, but not locked in).

TIA!

Planning for next year. Will be flying to Rome. If I can't find direct flights from US that I like. What is an acceptable layover time? Is 3.5 hours in CDG enough to get through customs?
Flights in my window have just opened. I am not limited on when I go so really looking for a good bargain on tickets in the last week of April - first week of May. I found a biz class flight for 50K miles on AF going from DTW to CDG to FCO. The layover is 4 hours (not ideal). Will I have access to a lounge in CDG during the layover? Not sure if I should jump on this or wait to see if something with a shorter layover becomes available.

Are there any Citi guidelines for frequency of applications? I want DH to grab the increased AA business bonus but he got the personal in March. Is 30 days between Citi apps ok?
Thanks for the info on Citi apps. "DH" jumped on the AA business bonus - instant approval. We've both gotten personal and Business cards in the last 6 months. Nice stash of AA miles built up. Will have flights to London next year so they'll hopefully come in handy then or for positioning domestic flights.

Flights in my window have just opened. I am not limited on when I go so really looking for a good bargain on tickets in the last week of April - first week of May. I found a biz class flight for 50K miles on AF going from DTW to CDG to FCO. The layover is 4 hours (not ideal). Will I have access to a lounge in CDG during the layover? Not sure if I should jump on this or wait to see if something with a shorter layover becomes available.

I believe if you are flying business class you will have access to the AF Lounge, which is very nice. Last year we connected in Cdg & upgraded the second leg of our flight, which got us access to the lounge during our layover.

When opening a Marriot Bonvoy CC, how long after making the $3000 in charges does it typically take for the 3 free nights bonus to get onto your account? It says up to 8 weeks, just wondering if it's usually much sooner than that.
I got the Chase Bonvoy card around the end of August 2023 and had the free nights in my account by October 23, 2023.

I have had a Chase SW Premier card for years, and never really fly SW anymore because they don't seem to have non-stop flights to wherever we are going. I've used it for recurring small purchases like dog food and monthly gym fees to get Disney GC every once in awhile with the points, but I don't want it anymore. The AF is $99 and due next month. And the interest rate is insane, so I would never use it for a big purchase to pay over time.

But, I've had my SW card for YEARS and think it may hurt my credit to close it? Is there a way to switch to a better Chase card? Which one?
We don't have a Costco near us, we do have BJ's but no gas station (!), and prefer Hilton over Marriot ( just where we tend to stay, but not locked in).

TIA!
There isn’t a no fee card you can product change a SW card to…if you aren’t getting any value out of it I would close…

TIA!

Is this your oldest line of credit? As another commenter said, you can't change that to a card with no fee. I sincerely doubt that the impact to your credit score is worth the $100 a year.

Receive 20% off entire purchase at Joffrey’s Coffee & Tea Co.® kiosks throughout Walt Disney World® Resort, Joffrey’s retail location at Disney Springs® Marketplace (excluding alcohol)
Is there a way to use this discount from Chase Disney card, if it's attached to a Magicband? (or i would have to break out the card each time at Joffreys)

Thanks

We've spent a few 5 hour layovers in CDG. Yes, you get the lounge, although it's not the larger international one but the EU "domestic" one. It's big and has a lot of food and places to sit, but every time I've found that the many windows there make it pretty hot (so dress accordingly haha). They have showers there, too, and it's much better than the gate areas which seem over crowded. There is also some fun shopping one can do at CDG. ;)

Looking to do a product change out of a Chase Slate, should've done this along time ago. Whats everyones consensus on the best card to PC into? I personally have Freedom standard and Freedom Unlimited. Husband has a Sapphire Preferred.

I am planning a staycation in NYC this summer for my birthday and our adult children will be flying in to join us. The only one available that makes sense for me right now is the Hyatt Centric Times Square for 25k points/night.

I booked it for 2 nights. There is a chance that we may be able to do 3 nights but only the 2 nights are a sure thing.

Should I book a separate reservation for that extra night (1 night to the beginning of the 2 nights already booked) now to make sure it doesn't sell out? If we can only do the 2 nights, I would cancel that first next. If we CAN add the first night, how would I go about combining the 2 reservations? Call in advance to combine or wait until check-in? I really don't want to move.

I didn't want to make the reservation for 3 nights and have to cancel the entire reservation in order to drop one night, kwim?

What are the best ways to books with points if you are not sure how many nights you need?

Poking around, it seems you need to cancel to modify a reservation? Do the nights go back into reward availability if you cancel, so that you can pick them up again in a new reservation? What are the recommended ways of making Hyatt reservations on points?

TIA!

If it's Amex, usually a few days, but sometimes it can lag.

If it's Chase, their bonuses typically post at statement end unless you cut it too close, then it'll be the next statement. I have seen some reports of Marriott FNC bonuses posting faster than statement close, which surprised me.

I am planning a staycation in NYC this summer for my birthday and our adult children will be flying in to join us. The only one available that makes sense for me right now is the Hyatt Centric Times Square for 25k points/night.

I booked it for 2 nights. There is a chance that we may be able to do 3 nights but only the 2 nights are a sure thing.

Should I book a separate reservation for that extra night (1 night to the beginning of the 2 nights already booked) now to make sure it doesn't sell out? If we can only do the 2 nights, I would cancel that first next. If we CAN add the first night, how would I go about combining the 2 reservations? Call in advance to combine or wait until check-in? I really don't want to move.

I didn't want to make the reservation for 3 nights and have to cancel the entire reservation in order to drop one night, kwim?

What are the best ways to books with points if you are not sure how many nights you need?

Poking around, it seems you need to cancel to modify a reservation? Do the nights go back into reward availability if you cancel, so that you can pick them up again in a new reservation? What are the recommended ways of making Hyatt reservations on points?

TIA!

I would do the separate reservation. I do that fairly frequently and it hasn't been a problem. Would be best if it's the same room type. I usually send an e-mail to the hotel and let them know of the separate reservations plus any other requests I have. It's likely fine even if you don't do that.

If you did the 3 night reservation instead and needed to modify, you'd have to contact Hyatt to do it. Usually it's not a problem unless the hotel changed categories and now costs more points. If you canceled it yourself, you can't guarantee that it'll come back.

Is there a way to use this discount from Chase Disney card, if it's attached to a Magicband? (or i would have to break out the card each time at Joffreys)

Thanks
I would say you need to use the card at Joffrey since the magic band charges back to your hotel and everything charged on your trip posts together as one charge

This may be old news but I just noticed that SW RR points can be used to book hotel rooms and Disney resorts show up when I searched….looks like it takes a lot of points, but if someone no longer flies SW and has points it may be a way to use them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter