First IEP meeting, what do I expect?

Sounds like you are on a path with a team that at least has good core knowlege.

When a parent has taken the time to become informed befoer the meeting it is a big relief for the team.

bookwormde

I'm not from Wisconsin so I dont know the state rules here but I can speak from the experience of a teacher of severe special needs, as well as a parent (my son receives speech therapy). In Ma, you receive a written eval of test results before the IEP meeting so you can read the results of testing prior. At my school, the district LEA is present, as well as the principal, teacher, therapists. When I went for my son, it was just the teacher who evaled him (he doesnt go to the school he was evaluated at) and a speech therapist. It will probably be around a conference table. Everyone will sign in and introduce themselves so you will know who everyone is. Then they will ask you what your concerns are as a parent (you should mention everything you said here so they will be able to address your concerns in the IEP). They will briefly go over the results of the testing, probably each person who tested will go over their results individually. They may do it more in depth for you if you did not receive the written results yet. They will talk about your child's strengths and interests. They will ask you where you see your child in the next 1-5 years (your vision for you child)- or at least they do in Ma. Each person involved (OT, Teacher, etc) will go over results of the testing, how your child is currently performing, what goals they would like to see your child reach over the next year- probably fine motor goals, maybe some social/behavior goals, whatever pertains to your child. They will tell you how often they want to see your child (the OT may want to see your child 1 or 2 times a week for 30 min). If you have any goals you would like to see your child reach- like getting dressed, or another fine motor skill, you should bring it up and they can add it to the IEP or let you know why or why not they can address it. It will be a fairly informal meeting and remember that YOU are a big part of it. Dont be nervous- make sure you bring up all concerns and questions you have. They are there to help you and your daughter. I know its easier said than done (I get very anxious in social situations and in IEP meetings- both as the parent AND as the teacher:rotfl:) But they are there for you. If you dont agree with something, bring it up. If you have concerns, bring them up. If you want to see something done for your daughter sensory-related, bring it up. If you want to have her tested for something, bring it up. The more involved you are, the better! Dont feel like you are being a pain for bringing up concerns or asking questions. Once the meeting is over, they will write up the final IEP- making any changes to it that need be. Then you read it over and sign it. Once you sign it, they are obligated to follow it by law- so make sure its what you want before signing it. But if you change your mind after, you can always call another IEP meeting. If you feel more comfortable with someone else there, feel free to bring someone. You can hire an advocate but they are expensive and since your are not anticipating problems, it is probably not worth it right now. If you and the school disagree then you may want to hire one. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask or shoot me a message!!:goodvibes

I live in southern NH and the rules are very similar as in MA. I have been volunteering at an educational advocacy center for years. My son was first coded at the age of 3 he is 24 now. You have ben given some good info so I will gust give you a little more because it is alot to digest. First you want to type out a list of all the questions you want covered. Hand a copy of it to all in attendance, introduce yourself and shake theirs hands. You have just put yourself in control of the meeting instead of someone else. It tells them that you know what you are doing and will not be rolled over. Even if you do not know what they you are doing you are the only one who knows that. Bring a plate of cookies or something to share. This is blatent manipulation and everyone present knows this. However it is also showing them that you want this to be a pleasant experience and to work with them not against. It puts everyone at ease. Write a letter stating that you want to record the meeting. Offer to give them a copy of the recorded meeting. They are more likely to let you record it this way. Bring a notebook to take notes. Put together a binder for all paperwork. I have a template for doing this if you need one. Feel free to mark up the proposed IEP or 504 as much as you need to. Rewrite anything you feel is not specific enough. Saying something needs to be done 80% of the time is not good enough. It should be something like 8 out of 10 times and give a specific time frame. How it is measured or tested should be stated also. Do not sign the IEPat the meeting. Tell them that you want to take it home for a few days to look it over. This way if there is anything you want to change or add this can be done. Set up a day and time you can come back to sign it. Make sure they give you a copy of the state special ed laws. They are required by law to offer this to you. Keep a phone log at home. I know this is a pain in the neck but it is worth it. Put your personel calls on it also. This way they cannot ask for a copy of it. pm me if I can answer any other questions or just listen. With 2 of my 3 kids with issues I have been through alot. I have been at this for 21 years now. There are lots of great resources out there you just have to know how to find them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter