First DVC stay - what do we need to bring?

mrsjoannh13

DIS Veteran
Sorry if this is a silly question... We just closed on our first contract at BLT and were able to book for November. YAY!

Are things like paper towels, toilet paper, trash bags, laundry and dishwashing detergent fully stocked? Or do you pretty much have a 1 or 2 day supply? We stayed at a Florida beach timeshare recently (first timers) and didn't realize we had to bring along our own items to get through a week stay (we had enough for maybe 1-2 days).

Appreciate the help!

In general things that are for keeping the room clean you can get restocked. Paper towels, trash bags, dish soap and things like that. Things that are for keeping you or your clothes clean you can either purchase additional if you run out or should bring your own. That would be shampoo etc and laundry detergent. Hmmmm - well, toilet paper might be one rather than the other - but you can get more of that for free. ;) If you are there for more than 4 nights then you'd have trash and towel service and those items would be restocked.

Last edited:
I agree with Kathy. We typically only bring our own laundry detergent. We sometimes also bring extra dishwashing machine pods (not liquid soap, there's plenty of that). I am pretty sure they will replenish the stock of powder packets in the room, but we find it easy enough to throw a couple extra into the luggage.

Oh, and Congrats!!!

eta: congrats

On the member website is a list of what is included in the villa.

:earsboy: Bill

Check into Owners Locker to store the "stuff" you would need on regular trips. We used them for years until we moved down to Florida. Now we are 5 minutes away and use our points to bribe family to visit. :teeth:

Welcome home! BLT is my home resort as well.

Because we knew we planned to visit at least once per year, we did sign up for Owners Locker which is fantastic. For our first DVC stay when we received the OL I did a Walmart order and had delivered all of the items I thought I'd want to leave in the OL - laundry detergent pods, salt and pepper, certain fairly non perishable foods (think candy or dry pasta), toiletries, a reusable coffee filter, etc. Then we left behind rain ponchos, flip flops, bathing suits, some toys (matchbox car type stuff), rum and a few other items.

What you actually need will depend on what kind of room you're staying in. If you have a full kitchen, for instance, you may want to bring a good chefs knife, as I would challenge you to find a sharp knife in any DVC drawer. If you're in a studio then maybe you won't be doing as much cooking.

I agree about bringing a sharp knife/knives. I always bring a paring knife and a rubber spatula since they don't provide those.

We bring our own coffee and filters. We also bring a water filter because the tap water in the villas is questionable. Disinfectant wipes are good to have too.

I agree about bringing a sharp knife/knives. I always bring a paring knife and a rubber spatula since they don't provide those.

We bring our own coffee and filters. We also bring a water filter because the tap water in the villas is questionable. Disinfectant wipes are good to have too.

You can get a paring knife or other sharp knives. I'd guess you can get a spatula too. In fact, it was just one of our last trips that I realized the inventory didn't include those items! We had always had them except one other trip and I called housekeeping about not having them tha time and they brought them right up.

You'll also want to bring (assuming you drink it) coffee and coffee filters (basket style), plus sugar/creamer if you need it. There will be enough for one morning, but then you'll be on your own until trash and towel.

If you will be cooking in your villa, you'll need everything edible - included staples like salt and pepper, ketchup, butter. Sometimes there are the little restaurant packets someone has taken from Cosmic Rays and left in the room, don't count on it though.

You can buy most everything you need - albeit at convenience store pricing - at the resort store, so don't panic about forgetting coffee filters.

We don't go often enough for an owners locker - or frankly bring enough stuff. I have a small bin at home that I keep the Disney trip stuff in - rain ponchos, travel salt and pepper, basket filters.

For me, a Villa list would be significantly different than a Studio list. For a studio, I wouldn't be making anything but coffee and I wouldn't bother with laundry. With a Villa we do breakfast in the room and laundry daily.

You have a lot of good info here. I was very very impressed with how much it was stocked!!! Loved that- because we have a little one and a lot of these things especially came in handy for comforts of home. We just stayed - our first time- renting points- and now in contract to purchase.

The only necessity we actually ran out of was shampoo/conditioner. Toilet paper as well but we got an extra roll, no problem. Towels we were fine with but did re-use a bit.

As for the kitchen, we did not cook so I cant comment on paper towels, soap or dish-washing liquid because we had plenty based on our needs. We did also run out of sugar but I wouldn't call this a necessity. Take some sugar packets from home or you can purchase sugar downstairs. I will give you a tip though- if you have very small children- we have a 3 year old, they don't have plastic/paper plates/bowls (at least at AKL) they did not. We did use the porcelain bowl for his cereal in the morning but I had to keep an eye on him at the table that it didn't drop, etc. My son uses silverware but I could see for a younger child, you might want to bring child "silverwear" or just a few plasticwear things.

I did two loads of laundry and there was 2 packs of generic brand detergent which did serve its purpose fine. I probably would bring a few of those detergent packets the next time or buy downstairs (pricey of course).... I used to think I wouldn't ever wash clothes on vacation but I absolutely love doing this now- I can pack less and also come home with clean clothes.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter