First a Little Pomp & Circumstance,then a Whole Lot of Disney Dining! COMPLETE

Okay folks, I have finally finished my Jiko review (see post 297 on Page 21). I hope you enjoy the conclusion! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the great review, I don't see too much written about Jiko. We are staying at AK for the first time in December and DH and I are having date night at Jiko!

In a way hearing your short rib wasn't perfect was actually a good thing!! I really don't know if I could fit Jiko in anyways...

Jiko looks looked lovely!!! Sorry your shortribs were fatty - I *HATE* that too... Dessert menu looks FAB - I couldn't have resisted!

Here is the one picture that we have of our food from our July 2001 Jiko dinner. As you can tell by the angle from which it was taken, it was my DD1 (then age 11) who took this picture of her Fish & Chips. :lmao: It seems I had a Disney Dining Reviewer in the making and I didn't even know it. :goodvibes

Scan0006-1.jpg

Food from Our Jiko Dinner - July 2001

And if you look closely, you can even see the rest of our food in the background. :thumbsup2

Okay, I'm going to try to add it to Part I of my Jiko review now. ;)

Here is the one picture that we have of our food from our July 2001 Jiko dinner. As you can tell by the angle from which it was taken, it was my DD1 (then age 11) who took this picture of her Fish & Chips. :lmao: It seems I had a Disney Dining Reviewer in the making and I didn't even know it. :goodvibes

Scan0006-1.jpg

Food from Our Jiko Dinner - July 2001

And if you look closely, you can even see the rest of our food in the background. :thumbsup2

Okay, I'm going to try to add it to Part I of my Jiko review now. ;)
And I thought I was young when I started taking the occasional food pic (when I was 15)! What a cool pic to have. :)

Great review of Jiko (although sorry about your fatty meat). I love your 'old' photos of WDW trips from bygone years - well, 2001 :rotfl:

And I thought it was funny what you said about your kids hiding your fanny pack. Although not as funny as the word 'fanny' - it always makes me laugh since it has a WHOLE other meaning here ;)

I just looked up the meaning of the word "fanny" in the UK. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Now I have to clean up the mouthful of water that I just spit out all over myself!!! :rotfl2:

Oh MY!! You guys MADE me look this up and I'm still giggling! :rotfl: And to make it more hilarious DH asked me why I was losing it and DD was sitting there too. Now they both know!

In a way hearing your short rib wasn't perfect was actually a good thing!! I really don't know if I could fit Jiko in anyways...

Yep, now you know why I said this to you earlier. ;)

As for Jiko vs. FF, that's a really tough choice to make. I would probably stick with Flying Fish, but my DDs would say switch to Jiko. I'll save the explanation for my review though. ;)

Jiko looks looked lovely!!! Sorry your shortribs were fatty - I *HATE* that too... Dessert menu looks FAB - I couldn't have resisted!

I really enjoy it whenever you post a comment because I love seeing your profile pic of your DD's first time seeing the castle. It always makes me smile. :)

Thanks for the great review, I don't see too much written about Jiko. We are staying at AK for the first time in December and DH and I are having date night at Jiko!

Thanks for joining in and posting a comment, ses1230! :wave2:

AKL is a really beautiful resort and I think Jiko is a very good choice for a date night. It seems quieter than many of the Signature restaurants and it so pretty. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

And now I have read part III of Jiko. So sorry for the disappointing short ribs. I agree, there is something on the menu for you that would have been a Tinkerbell. ;) Sounds like there will likely be a next time.... At least your server made the experience wonderful.

I just looked up the meaning of the word "fanny" in the UK. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Now I have to clean up the mouthful of water that I just spit out all over myself!!! :rotfl2:

So, whenever you mention 'fanny packs' to us Brits and get weird looks or giggles, now you will know :rotfl2:

And, in case you're interested, we call them 'bum bags' - thinking about it, that is probably just as funny :rotfl:

Just caught up with the rest of your Jiko review
Shame about your fatty meat but everything else sounds wonderful
Such a great restaurant and how sweet of your server to bring DD that lovely card :goodvibes

Your reviews are awesome :thumbsup2

Yep, now you know why I said this to you earlier. ;)

Makes perfect sense now!! We will have to see how all my ADR's line up once we get the F&W info (hoping for next week!) I have a feeling I have a bit of rearranging to do!

So, whenever you mention 'fanny packs' to us Brits and get weird looks or giggles, now you will know :rotfl2:

And, in case you're interested, we call them 'bum bags' - thinking about it, that is probably just as funny :rotfl:

With all this talk about fanny packs, I began to wonder just why they are called that since they are not worn on your fanny (in any sense of that word :lmao:). So I looked it up on the most reliable source on the internet, Wikipedia. :laughing:

Here is the article I found in case anyone is interested: (I've also added my own comments in red ;))

The name "fanny pack" is derived from the fact that they were traditionally worn facing the rear above the buttocks, for which "fanny" is a slang term in the United States. (Are you kidding me??? :confused3) Despite the name, many do not wear fanny packs on their rear because they are easier to pick pocket and harder to access. (Wow, there's a big surprise! :rolleyes:) In the United Kingdom and Anglophone Oceania, the term "bum bag" or "belt bag" is used, since the word "fanny" means "another part of the female anatomy", rather than buttocks, in those countries. (Thanks to Joh, we already knew this ;)) Fanny packs reached the peak of their popularity in the late 1980s and early-to-mid 90s. (Oops, I was still using mine well into the next decade. :o) Many consider the fanny pack a sure mark for an out-of-place tourist, evoking the traditional tourist stereotypes known around the world, or as an item worn by unfashionable or older people. (OUCH! :mad: I resemble that remark! :lmao:) Calling them "belted satchels" or "hands-free bags", several designer labels sought to bring the accessory back into vogue early 2011 by offering stylish and expensive designs selling for as much as $1995. Well, now I can tell my kids that I was a trend setter. :p

:teacher: And that concludes today's lesson on "fanny" (heehee ;)) packs.

Ahhh, yes...I too am usually very cautious (and picky, or should I say pick at ;)) when eating potentially fatty meats like this. I don't know what got into me that night??? I guess I will blame it on that "false sense of security" (aka "being under the influence of the Disney magic"). Then again, maybe it was just that Jiko Sunriser that I was under the influence of. :lmao:

Oh, and thanks for reminding me that you are doing the Wanyama Safari & Jiko dinner. I'm very much looking forward to your review of this, as it sounds very interesting. Both that and the weekly wine tasting that they have a Jiko. Anyway, I am glad that you will be doing this your first night, because that means I won't have very long to wait before I can read about it when you begin your reviews. :woohoo:

And what a great way to start your trip, I might add!!! :thumbsup2

As you now know, I cancelled the Safari due to my current jobless state. It will go on my "someday" wish list. But we will still eat at Jiko which is all DS really wanted anyway (although he would have loved the Safari). Everything happens for a reason and I am sure that in time I will figure out the reason for this! ::yes::

As you now know, I cancelled the Safari due to my current jobless state. It will go on my "someday" wish list. But we will still eat at Jiko which is all DS really wanted anyway (although he would have loved the Safari). Everything happens for a reason and I am sure that in time I will figure out the reason for this! ::yes::

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us.
- Alexander Graham Bell

I think that with your positive attitude, you will definitely see that open door. :thumbsup2

And I bet that your dinner at Jiko will be wonderful. You will probably choose great entrees and I will be totally jealous. ;) I can't wait to hear all about it!

I used a "waist bag" my last 3 trips to DL. I am in my mid 30's and I could care less if people think its unfashionable! It's SO convenient!!

In fact here is a pic of my friend and I both sporting them! (I bought 3, so she borrowed one for the trip!)

ry%3D400

And here we are earlier in the day also wearing them but you can't tell because we put them to our backs! So convenient, easily accessible, not in the way on any rides and perfect for pictures!!

ry%3D400

I used a "waist bag" my last 3 trips to DL. I am in my mid 30's and I could care less if people think its unfashionable! It's SO convenient!!

In fact here is a pic of my friend and I both sporting them! (I bought 3, so she borrowed one for the trip!)

ry%3D400

And here we are earlier in the day also wearing them but you can't tell because we put them to our backs! So convenient, easily accessible, not in the way on any rides and perfect for pictures!!

ry%3D400

Thank you!!! I'll be sure to inform my children that I am not the only one. :thumbsup2 But I must admit that yours look a little more fashionable than mine was. ;)

And I should also probably say, in their defense, that they did give me a very nice, small Coach purse that is worn with the strap across my body (so still convenient and hands-free) for my birthday, not long after the mysterious disappearance of my fanny pack. So I guess I came out ahead in the deal anyway. :thumbsup2

Thank you!!! I'll be sure to inform my children that I am not the only one. :thumbsup2 But I must admit that yours look a little more fashionable than mine was. ;)

And I should also probably say, in their defense, that they did give me a very nice, small Coach purse that is worn with the strap across my body (so still convenient and hands-free) for my birthday, not long after the mysterious disappearance of my fanny pack. So I guess I came out ahead in the deal anyway. :thumbsup2

My husband still told me it made me look like I was the one that was 40! However its all about convenience! I don't want whatever bag I use to show in all of the pictures and if I use a bigger bag I have to take it off and put it on, take it off, put it on, too much time wasted! Now if I need more stuff at the parks I save my shoulders and back and get a locker!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter