First a Little Pomp & Circumstance,then a Whole Lot of Disney Dining! COMPLETE

I am so sad right now. :sad1: If it were not a Tuesday today, it would definitely be a "Time for Cheesecake" day. ;) The next time I'm there I will double-check to make sure they will be closed on Labor Day. Maybe if I tell them that you are coming all the way from England just to taste their cheesecake they might agree to keep the shop open that day? :lmao: Ok, it's a bit of a stretch but what the heck, it might work??? :rolleyes1

It's a hell of a long way from London :thumbsup2

CLIFFHANGER! No fair! :lmao: Once again I love the retro (can we call 2001 retro now?!) pics and the past menu discussion!

We've stayed at AKL four times, and it's our favorite resort, yet we've never eaten at Jiko. Even when we stayed there during our honeymoon! :( But we're FINALLY giving it a try during our January 2013 stay, so I'm super excited to see your pics and read your thoughts! Knowing Disney, you'll eat something spectacular and it will no longer be on the menu by the time I'm there! :laughing:

Barb, you've done it again! Another teaser review! :rotfl2: Good start with the cocktails. The restaurant is so lovely. I have had my eye on Jiko since my last trip but haven't ventured outside my comfort zone yet. Your review may very well change that. :stir:

I've added some more details (prices, etc.) from our 2001 dinner to Part I of my Jiko review that some of you might find interesting. ;) I'll try and work on Part II today and get it posted tonight.

Thank you for your patience! :)

Ack!! I thought since you had posted this yesterday the whole thing would be up by the time I got here to read it!!

Jiko! I'm so excited to see a Jiko review around here.

And interesting history of the filet with mac n' cheese - I'm sad to hear that the preparation of it worsened over time, but personally I'm somewhat happy they changed up the sides (since I'm part South African, and it seemed strange to me that Disney's signature African fusion restaurant was known more for mac n' cheese than anything else). In fact, the "injera pudding" sounds very interesting - I've eaten injera at Ethiopian restaurants and think it would add a unique flavor and texture to bread pudding.

Can't wait to see what you ordered!

Yes, you make a valid point about the mac 'n' cheese side dish. It was probably originally paired with the filet to appease people like me who were unsure about the whole "African fusion" thing. Macaroni and cheese is definitely a comfort food that most everyone would be familiar with. I'm sure the original chef(s) had no idea that it would become so popular that they would be unable to change it to a more African-inspired dish at some point. The chef who finally had the nerve to do it 9 years later probably caught a lot of flack for doing so. But the laughable thing is that he replaced the much-loved mac 'n' cheese with a common potato dish (can't remember if it was roasted fingerling potatoes or potato gratin :rolleyes:). Another interesting tidbit is that our waiter last year made a point of telling all his customers (he told us and I overheard him telling his surrounding tables) that he had fought with the new chef on the behalf of his customers and convinced him to keep the mac 'n' cheese as a substitution option (by keeping it on the Kid's menu). I can only imagine the ******* among the Jiko staff at that time. :(

Anyway, all this talk about macaroni and cheese has made me crave it. I used to make homemade (not out of the box) mac 'n' cheese a lot when my kids were little because that was one of the few things that they all would eat. :rolleyes: We ate it so much that I got tired of it, so haven't made it for years. I'll have to see if I can find my old recipe. It wasn't magical like Jiko's once was, but it was pretty darn good. :laughing:

It's a hell of a long way from London :thumbsup2

I didn't realize that you lived in London, although I should have figured it out from the title of your last Dining Report. :laughing: So how are things in London these days? Pretty crazy, I'm sure. ;)

Loving the 'then' and 'now' pics :thumbsup2

Thanks dixonsontour! And thank you for taking the time to post a comment. It makes it so much easier to write these reports when people give you feedback. :thumbsup2

Ack!! I thought since you had posted this yesterday the whole thing would be up by the time I got here to read it!!

Oops, sorry Paula! :guilty: Things were a little hectic at work today so didn't get a chance to work on Part II over my lunch. But I promise to work on it now and hopefully will finish and get it posted later tonight. ;)

Now I have to go to San Angel Inn! DH and I did the tequila tasting at La Cava last fall during the Food and Wine Festival and they served those chicken tostadas and they were amazing! Now I know where to get them :banana:

You did the tequila tasting? Did you by chance do a review? I have been very interested in doing this, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

Note to self: do not read dining reviews when hungry :-)

Great reviews. We loved San Angel Inn and I loved the avocado margarita!

It looks like you will be there in just a couple of months. :woohoo:

I think they have an avocado margarita at SAI with your name on it! :thumbsup2

Holy cow - so many Tinker Bells! And your Jiko review has turned into a three-parter? This is newsworthy right here. :rotfl:

Last summer we had the cheese plate, chicken flatbread, and short ribs (although it wasn't the current version of the dish) and also really liked all of them. The Inguday Tibs in Brik look great! With such an awesome start to the meal, I'm really hoping everything ended on a high note. :goodvibes

And according to my comprehensive research :-)laughing:), zough is chili paste originating in North Africa or the Middle East (it's popular in countries like Tunisia and Yemen). Sounds delicious (and it clearly didn't make the flatbread overly spicy, since even my mom was able to enjoy it). :thumbsup2

Yes, you make a valid point about the mac 'n' cheese side dish. It was probably originally paired with the filet to appease people like me who were unsure about the whole "African fusion" thing. Macaroni and cheese is definitely a comfort food that most everyone would be familiar with. I'm sure the original chef(s) had no idea that it would become so popular that they would be unable to change it to a more African-inspired dish at some point. The chef who finally had the nerve to do it 9 years later probably caught a lot of flack for doing so. But the laughable thing is that he replaced the much-loved mac 'n' cheese with a common potato dish (can't remember if it was roasted fingerling potatoes or potato gratin :rolleyes:). Another interesting tidbit is that our waiter last year made a point of telling all his customers (he told us and I overheard him telling his surrounding tables) that he had fought with the new chef on the behalf of his customers and convinced him to keep the mac 'n' cheese as a substitution option (by keeping it on the Kid's menu). I can only imagine the ******* among the Jiko staff at that time. :(

Anyway, all this talk about macaroni and cheese has made me crave it. I used to make homemade (not out of the box) mac 'n' cheese a lot when my kids were little because that was one of the few things that they all would eat. :rolleyes: We ate it so much that I got tired of it, so haven't made it for years. I'll have to see if I can find my old recipe. It wasn't magical like Jiko's once was, but it was pretty darn good. :laughing:
You're absolutely right - that whole dish has a rather unusual history, and perhaps they didn't imagine it becoming so insanely popular (up there with Le Cellier's cheese soup). Since they're continuing to serve it anyway, it would be nice if the dish was as good as it used to be. But I'm happy to see an African-inspired alternative as well (and good point about the previous potato side :laughing:).

I'm not even a huge fan of mac and cheese, but after you mentioned your homemade version, I'm suddenly craving it really badly. :lmao:

I didn't realize that you lived in London, although I should have figured it out from the title of your last Dining Report. :laughing: So how are things in London these days? Pretty crazy, I'm sure. ;)

I actually live around 30 miles away but I work in London so I am here 5 days a week!
It's getting pretty busy in town right now, I just hope that the sun shines for everyone and we put on a good Olympics show :goodvibes

Love Part II!! I wonder if I can just blindfold my husband and drag him to Jiko? He has refused to go there again based on our '09 experience. However it is looking mighty tasty now-a-days!!

Those appetizers look wonderful - I'd never heard of tibs but it looks like I could make a meal out of that! Love to see the Tinkerbells abound in your review thus far.

I found it amusing that in 2001 you took food photos! :thumbsup2 And I'm glad you did because that bread basket has an authentic African theming to it - very nice! :)

Once again, I am so looking forward to Part III!

You did the tequila tasting? Did you by chance do a review? I have been very interested in doing this, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

I didn't do a review but I'll tell you it was awesome! Granted we did this the day after running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon so our judgement may be a little screwy :rotfl: They were very informative about the process of making tequila and it was interesting to learn the different tasting and aroma notes while trying the 3 different tequilas. And the pairings they did with appetizers were wonderful. We had a chicken tostada, a cup of shrimp ceviche and a crab tostada. They were all wonderful. I would highly recommend the tequila tasting if you are going to be there during the Food and Wine Festival.

The Disney Food Blog did a review of the tequila tasting back in 2009 but it was pretty much the same thing we had in 2011. Here's the link: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2009/09/26/2009-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-tequila-tasting-seminar/

Love the review of Jiko so far and I especially love that you posted a photo of yourself wearing a fanny pack! You learn a lot about someone from their dining reviews! :lmao: I'm glad to hear that you found the best cheese plate of the trip here and that a Wisconsin cheese was there to represent!! I'm going to have to look that up now to see if I can get it around here!

My DD is a picky eater so I'd kind of dismissed Jiko thinking that she wouldn't like anything there but I might need to reconsider this! She would probably really enjoy that filet. Excited to read the rest!

Okay folks, I have finally finished my Jiko review (see post 297 on Page 20). I hope you enjoy the conclusion! :thumbsup2

Sorry to hear that your entree disappointed. :( Despite your forkful of fat (sorry, that doesn't sound so great!) the idea of Jiko is really growing on me. Darnit, don't make me come over there and change my ADRs again! :lmao: I know DD would only eat the filet but there are some really good looking items on that menu for me to choose from! And the service sounds great. Hmmm...

For a couple of years Jiko was DS's favorite restaurant anywhere, not just Disney mostly because of the once awesome mac & cheese filet. Even if it wasn't authentic, it was delicious! Last year was a bit of a disappointment in that it just wasn't the same. Still high on DS's list, but behind Artist Point and probably the Yachtsman.

I do agree that the cheese plate is the best I have had on property. And also agree that while I do love a good lean short rib, fatty ones turn me off! I tend to pick them apart to find the good meat! :thumbsup2

We will be eating at Jiko as part of the Wanyama Safari and are both looking foward to getting to try a little bit of several things. Although I can't help but wonder if there will be something on the menu that we will end up wishing we could have ordered.

Aw, I was really hoping that you enjoyed your entree (although thank you for being honest - I despise fatty meat as well) and I wish the chocolate and tea safari had been better than "good" (maybe the green tea ice cream would've helped), but I'm happy that the meal had a happy ending overall. Maybe next time, all of the stars will finally align (appetizer, entree, dessert, service). ;)

I actually live around 30 miles away but I work in London so I am here 5 days a week!
It's getting pretty busy in town right now, I just hope that the sun shines for everyone and we put on a good Olympics show

If they should do any "streets of London" shots during the television broadcast, I'll be sure to look for you. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Love Part II!! I wonder if I can just blindfold my husband and drag him to Jiko? He has refused to go there again based on our '09 experience. However it is looking mighty tasty now-a-days!!

Well, maybe you could show him my review...just be sure to skip the part about my mouthful of fatty meat. ;)

Those appetizers look wonderful - I'd never heard of tibs but it looks like I could make a meal out of that! Love to see the Tinkerbells abound in your review thus far.

I found it amusing that in 2001 you took food photos! And I'm glad you did because that bread basket has an authentic African theming to it - very nice!

Once again, I am so looking forward to Part III!

Actually the bread picture was from our Jiko dinner last year. But your comment reminded me that we do have one picture of our food from our 2001 dinner at Jiko. It was taken by my DD1 of her fish & chips! :lmao:

Maybe I will add it to Part I of my review??? :thumbsup2

I didn't do a review but I'll tell you it was awesome! Granted we did this the day after running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon so our judgement may be a little screwy. They were very informative about the process of making tequila and it was interesting to learn the different tasting and aroma notes while trying the 3 different tequilas. And the pairings they did with appetizers were wonderful. We had a chicken tostada, a cup of shrimp ceviche and a crab tostada. They were all wonderful. I would highly recommend the tequila tasting if you are going to be there during the Food and Wine Festival.

The Disney Food Blog did a review of the tequila tasting back in 2009 but it was pretty much the same thing we had in 2011. Here's the link: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2009/09/26/2009-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-tequila-tasting-seminar/

You had a crab tostada??? :love: I haven't had those since our March 2010 trip to SAI, where we had both crab and chicken tostadas. They dropped them from the menu sometime after that (thankfully, the chicken ones remained), but for awhile you could still get them at La Cava. I was all set to have them again on my May 2011 trip when we visited La Cava, only to find out that they had been dropped from the menu just one week before. :( But now that I know that they serve them at the Tequila Tastings, it might be worth doing just to have those crab tostadas again. :laughing:

Oh, and thanks for the link, butiflfeet! :thumbsup2

Love the review of Jiko so far and I especially love that you posted a photo of yourself wearing a fanny pack! You learn a lot about someone from their dining reviews! I'm glad to hear that you found the best cheese plate of the trip here and that a Wisconsin cheese was there to represent!! I'm going to have to look that up now to see if I can get it around here!

My DD is a picky eater so I'd kind of dismissed Jiko thinking that she wouldn't like anything there but I might need to reconsider this! She would probably really enjoy that filet. Excited to read the rest!

You know, I think that old fanny pack might just be making another appearance in my next review. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Sorry to hear that your entree disappointed. Despite your forkful of fat (sorry, that doesn't sound so great!) the idea of Jiko is really growing on me. Darnit, don't make me come over there and change my ADRs again! I know DD would only eat the filet but there are some really good looking items on that menu for me to choose from! And the service sounds great. Hmmm...

Forkful of fat...very nice use of alliteration, Tracy! :lmao:

For a couple of years Jiko was DS's favorite restaurant anywhere, not just Disney mostly because of the once awesome mac & cheese filet. Even if it wasn't authentic, it was delicious! Last year was a bit of a disappointment in that it just wasn't the same. Still high on DS's list, but behind Artist Point and probably the Yachtsman.

I do agree that the cheese plate is the best I have had on property. And also agree that while I do love a good lean short rib, fatty ones turn me off! I tend to pick them apart to find the good meat! :thumbsup2

We will be eating at Jiko as part of the Wanyama Safari and are both looking foward to getting to try a little bit of several things. Although I can't help but wonder if there will be something on the menu that we will end up wishing we could have ordered.

Ahhh, yes...I too am usually very cautious (and picky, or should I say pick at ;)) when eating potentially fatty meats like this. I don't know what got into me that night??? I guess I will blame it on that "false sense of security" (aka "being under the influence of the Disney magic"). Then again, maybe it was just that Jiko Sunriser that I was under the influence of. :lmao:

Oh, and thanks for reminding me that you are doing the Wanyama Safari & Jiko dinner. I'm very much looking forward to your review of this, as it sounds very interesting. Both that and the weekly wine tasting that they have a Jiko. Anyway, I am glad that you will be doing this your first night, because that means I won't have very long to wait before I can read about it when you begin your reviews. :woohoo:

And what a great way to start your trip, I might add!!! :thumbsup2

Holy cow - so many Tinker Bells! And your Jiko review has turned into a three-parter? This is newsworthy right here. :rotfl:

Last summer we had the cheese plate, chicken flatbread, and short ribs (although it wasn't the current version of the dish) and also really liked all of them. The Inguday Tibs in Brik look great! With such an awesome start to the meal, I'm really hoping everything ended on a high note. :goodvibes

And according to my comprehensive research :-)laughing:), zough is chili paste originating in North Africa or the Middle East (it's popular in countries like Tunisia and Yemen). Sounds delicious (and it clearly didn't make the flatbread overly spicy, since even my mom was able to enjoy it). :thumbsup2

Thanks for the explanation of "zough", Donald! I knew I could count on you! :thumbsup2 I'll add it to my review now.

Aw, I was really hoping that you enjoyed your entree (although thank you for being honest - I despise fatty meat as well) and I wish the chocolate and tea safari had been better than "good" (maybe the green tea ice cream would've helped), but I'm happy that the meal had a happy ending overall. Maybe next time, all of the stars will finally align (appetizer, entree, dessert, service). ;)

Yes, I would bet that if we had had this dessert (as it is described on the menu), including the green tea ice cream, we would have probably given it at least a "Very Good". :thumbsup2

And I have a feeling that after having two "not so good" entrees at Jiko, the third time will be the charm. I hope so, anyway. ;)

Great review of Jiko (although sorry about your fatty meat). I love your 'old' photos of WDW trips from bygone years - well, 2001 :rotfl:

And I thought it was funny what you said about your kids hiding your fanny pack. Although not as funny as the word 'fanny' - it always makes me laugh since it has a WHOLE other meaning here ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter