firming up a sagging mattress

vettechick99

<font color=purple>Why do I open these threads?<br
I really don't want to replace my mattress right now. Really. And I would like something with memory foam. So I'm trying to figure out what to do that would prolong the life of the mattress I have right now. It's not in awful shape, but could be improved.

So I bought a Serta 4", 4 lb. memory foam topper and placed it on top of my current mattress. DH said it was great, like sleeping on a white cloud. But to me it was 10 times worse. It sagged where the sagging was and I was stuck in a large hole. In 1 hour being on it, I had the worst back ache that lasted a full day. I want soft clay, not fresh white bread. I think the 4" was too high anyway so it's gone.

So I thought about placing plywood down, wrapped in batting, on the mattress. Then put a 2-3" memory foam on top. So the wood helps with firmness, and the foam helps with softness.

What are your thoughts on this? Aside from directly replacing the mattress, could it work?

Have you looked at your box springs? If you have a big dip in the mattress, chances are there is one in the box spring. Try putting the board on top of the box springs with the mattress on top of that. I like a really firm bed, but sleeping on plywood on top of my mattress... too hard for me. :goodvibes

If your springs are in good shape and not sagging, have you thought about cutting the 4" memory foam the width and length of the sag in your mattress and then put it underneath the mattress to prop up the sag section only? Then go with maybe a 2" topper. This is what we did on our mattress and it feels and looks great (no sags).

We had a pillow top mattresses that had a huge sink hole in the center. I would always feel like I was sleeping in the hole or fighting all night to get out of the hole. We were moving in a few months so we didn't want to replace the mattress until then to avoid moving if so many times.

I put hardboard in between the mattress and the box spring. Plywood would probably work better but I has extra hardboard floating around already. Then I also bought a 2" foam mattress topper to sort of balance out the top a bit more. There still was a dip however it wasn't nearly as bad as it was. The mattress topper I don't really care for to be honest. It's not bad when I'm laying down but when I try to sit up I feel like I'm sinking into the mattress. However my daughter and husband love it and it's on our new bed even though it's another pillow top lol

What size is your mattress? If it's a king size, you can rotate it 90 degrees and that will help quite a bit. It'll be a couple of inches wider and a couple of inches shorter than your box springs, but we did this with our mattress and wow, what a difference!

-Astrid

Put a 3/4" sheet of plywood between the mattress and box springs.

Just a thought but how old is your mattress? And did you buy it at a reputable dealer? Do you know what the warranty is? My mattress has a 10 year warranty. It is starting to sag and it's only 2 years old. When it gets bad enough you know I'll be calling about that warranty.

Also as PP suggest take the mattress off and check the box spring to make sure it's not cracked. If it is you may want to put a piece of plywood under and on top of the box spring.

Put a 3/4" sheet of plywood between the mattress and box springs.

I have the same issue,and I was thinking of doing exactly this....:thumbsup2 I love the memory foam topper, but we still have 'dents'... and DH doesn't want a new one yet

Sam's Club have Serta mattresses at a good price. By the time you put all this $ into fixing a saggy mattress you could buy one. Backaches are not worth it!

There is nothing that you can do to fix your mattress. It has weak springs and lacks durability. That is because it has a cheap 460 Vericoil spring system and foam encasing. The low amount of steel in this system does not hold up. The funny thing that it was recommended by one reply that you should go to Sam's for another. Sam's and Costco sell the same crappy system that you have now. (Ha)! You should either keep costs low and find the 416 Bonnell System which has more steel and is durable or you should find a more expensive mattress that is all foam. The all foam mattress should have at least a 2 lb. foam core (and not a 1.5 or less one). It should then have the new gel foam which should be a nice 4 lb. or more density and not the 3.5 density. The best however would be latex which is the most expensive. Avoid the name brands as you will not get a better mattress, you will just pay more for their advertising. Shop around and do some homework. There are plenty of youtube videos and such to help educate you on the right system and design. :wizard:

Our latex mattress has two holes - one where I sleep and one where DH sleeps. We were told it would last twenty years and we would never have to flip it. It has been 7 1/2 years.

We're having the same issue with our 12" king memory foam mattress. DF loves it, and I hate it: I sleep on my stomach, and he sleeps on his back. For me, it feels like sleeping in a hammock face-down.

We have a loft, so it's just the mattress with nothing beneath it, so a board under it wouldn't do anything. Any tips for making a memory foam mattress bearable and firmer?

We're having the same issue with our 12" king memory foam mattress. DF loves it, and I hate it: I sleep on my stomach, and he sleeps on his back. For me, it feels like sleeping in a hammock face-down. We have a loft, so it's just the mattress with nothing beneath it, so a board under it wouldn't do anything. Any tips for making a memory foam mattress bearable and firmer?

Do you mean a loft bed? A memory foam mattress needs a firm surface underneath it. Either a foundation, plywood, etc...

I sell mattresses and would definitely look into what the warranty is, many of the main brands have 20 year warranties 10/10, full/prorated. If you have something with a short warranty it coincides with quality. Coil count doesn't really matter as much as the make and strength of the coils. Latex is horrible for breakdown, don't buy latex! If you want to stretch the life of your mattress, put the plywood between box and mattress and I think most of the toppers out there are going to compress way faster than the mattress. If you really want memory foam I suggest Serta icomfort. I don't work for Serta.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I do believe it is the mattress and not the box spring. The other day we flipped the mattress over and that side is not so bad. But I will check the box spring anyway.

I'm quite sure both items could stand to be replaced. We didn't buy this mattress - we inherited it, so it's probably past its prime. I was just hoping to extend the life of it for a few more years until I could afford something fantastic. I could buy something for a few hundred but then I'll just be replacing it again in a few years.

I guess I just need to go out and lay on some mattresses!

Make sure you have a center support on the bed frame with legs... If you are not using a metal Bed frame buy a 2x4 cut it leaving a foot or so on each end cut the rest to make legs... white glue will hold everything in place but screws are better. Make sure when you cut the legs you lift the 2x4 up high enough to take the sag out of the wood slats on the bed... This in general is what causes a center sag if you are within the expected life of a mattress. 50 years for two sided old mattress 5 for new better one sided ones :rotfl2:

You may want to call sooner rather than later. Some of those warrantees are pro-rated…..so if you call at year 9 you will get only a small amount towards a new mattress.

Just a thought but how old is your mattress? And did you buy it at a reputable dealer? Do you know what the warranty is? My mattress has a 10 year warranty. It is starting to sag and it's only 2 years old. When it gets bad enough you know I'll be calling about that warranty.

Also as PP suggest take the mattress off and check the box spring to make sure it's not cracked. If it is you may want to put a piece of plywood under and on top of the box spring.

Do you mean a loft bed? A memory foam mattress needs a firm surface underneath it. Either a foundation, plywood, etc...

We live in a very small apartment - the 2nd floor is up in the eaves of the house, about 4' high, and just large enough for the bed, but the bed itself is on the floor, which is a regular floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter