Fellow Dis’ers, I need some vacation/resort input…

Janet2k

DIS Veteran
Hey, gang, I’m perplexed. I’m hoping that some of you can throw some ideas my way. Here goes…

My immediate family is supposed to be vacationing at WDW this Fall (there are four of us). I have us booked at the new Beach Club Villas and also have a Grand Plan thrown into the middle of our stay. This has been a horrible year for me (I lost a few loved ones and a few others are still battling for their lives). I was hoping that a vacation at WDW would be just what I needed to throw me out of my Blue Funk (Pixie Dust has been known to work miracles). Today my son informed me that he really doesn’t want to miss school this Fall (he’s in high school). He’s mentioned this a few times within the past month but wasn’t as convincing then as he was today (I think he’s pretty much made up his mind). He also told me that if he stays home, my husband would stay home with him. That would leave just my daughter and me for the ol’ family vacation. Hhhmmmm…

I have a few options, I guess. One would be to cancel the entire vacation and reschedule it for another time (a Peak vacation time, ugh). I don’t really want to do that for various reasons – I already have tickets for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, as well as reservations for the Haunted Mansion Ball. Plus, Halloween is my favorite day out of the whole year and I was unable to be at WDW last Halloween and missed it terribly (I swore I’d never miss it again).

Another option is to invite my sister and her kids to join me, and maybe even my parents, too. Since we all vacationed together (all nine of us) on my last WDW vacation, it would be nice to not have a “group” trip this time. Somehow I got designated the group’s Tour Guide and thus didn’t get to do all the things that “I” wanted to do (it sounds funny saying that since I did have 3-1/2 weeks in WDW).

Another option is to leave my vacation as is, albeit for two people. It would be a “Girls Only, No Boys Allowed” vacation for just my young daughter and myself, which some of you may remember was my goal for the first week of my last vacation until my parents decided to join us a week early. If I change my vacation into a “Girls Only, No Boys Allowed” vacation, should I consider keeping the Grand Plan or should I cancel it? Should I keep us at the Beach Club Villas the whole time or should I resort hop? And if I resort hop, where should I hop to?

Any inputs would be appreciated as I hash out this change in plans. I should also note that my son is scheduled for some major surgery within the next few months, so my vacation may wind up being cancelled anyway due to that. I’ve got my fingers crossed, though, that somehow I’ll find my way to WDW before the year is through. WDW is my Bali Hai. “Bali Ha'i may call you, any night, any day. In your heart you'll hear it call you: ‘Come away, Come away.’ " (Lyrics courtesy of Oscar Hammerstein II.)

I think you should go.
I'm not big on advice, but aren't the grand villas huge? What about spending the money on concierge at one of the deluxe hotels?

I would also say "Go".
We really enjoyed our "girls only trip" when DD and I did it!

I say go with your DD. I've been to WDW many times, but my most cherished memory is the trip my DD and I took--just the two of us! All we did was laugh! We had an absolutely wonderful time--I'll never forget this trip. I felt so close to her. :D

As for the hotel, I like to get in one place and settle in. I'd stay at the BCV--lots of restaurants around and within walking distance to Epcot and MGM. I think I'd cancel the Grand Plan, as you may not use all of its perks--and save the $ for your next trip. ;)

I wish you luck with your decision making (and I hope your son is OK.) :D

Sounds like your heart is set on the "girls only" trip for you and your DD.:D Go for it! I would stay with BCV minus the Grand Plan. You probably would not need all of those extras with only your daughter. There's no need to be a tour guide again. Let this trip be just for you. I'm sure it will do wonders. Enjoy!:)

Janet - another vote for going alone with your DD - I've done this a few times with my DS and LOVED the 'quality' time and the memories. It is so great to indulge ourselves in doing just what 'we' want without having to consider anyone else's experience - this year has been rough in our family,too, and my oldest is also in the midst of medical tests, so I am really looking forward to this WDW break and hoping not to have to cancel it. This year 2 of my older kids have decided to join us for the first 4 days so we rented points for BWV instead of our plan for AKL (stayed at BWI last trip and DS loved it), then we will hop to AKL (brand new to us!) for our final four days alone. I wouldn't have thought of doing that without reading the posts here, but I know that the move will be painless because there are only the two of us and we move easily. I feel that traveling as a group definitely changes the pace and schedule of what I do - we'll be trying to pack in all we can those first four days! - you'll have to consider which you want more, the company and enjoyment of the group, or the more relaxed pace and one-on-one experience of vacationing with only one child - know you'll have a great time whatever you decide - good luck!

Go with your DD...it's what I do each year & we really enjoy it (I figure the day will come when DD (14) doesn't want to vacation with "Mom").

The Grand Plan would probably be a little excessive for two females but I've never done it so I can't say. We eat one good (PS) meal a day and tend to nibble & snack for the others...not usually that hungry, so the Grand Plan would be a waste of money for us.

And as for a resort...stay in the one you've always wanted to stay in and make it your best vacation yet. Good luck with your planning.

Janet2k - Here's yet another vote for the girls only vacation. Enjoy your time with her while she's young. It won't be too long before she too would rather stay home with friends, etc. Sounds like after the year you've had, a nice relaxing vacation is what you need. You don't need the extra pressure of arranging everything for everyone. Skip the villas and go concierge in your favorite (or 2 favorite;) ) resort. You don't need the extra space with two people and concierge will let you relax even more. (Let them do all the planning for YOU this time around.) I think you should go YC concierge and of course AKL concierge for the end of the trip. I hope that everything works out for you and I'm wishing you pixie dust!:)

Your son says he doesn't want to miss school. Could you both compromise and maybe your DH and DS come down for a weekend or a long weekend - leaving him to miss a day or two instead of more, and your DD and you do the big trip. Then you could resort hop, and be in the beach club villas the few days your son and hubby are there and then be in other resorts the other times.

Maybe arrange for them to arrive on Halloween... meaning he would miss a couple of days of school at most.

Janet, I think that you need this trip, and you should go. I think that you could either take just your daughter along, or maybe even your parents for part of the trip. You could do some "resort hopping" - maybe the BCV/VWL/PR/AKL/GF? I think I'd probably drop the Grand Plan, you could use the money on other things. :)

Definately go with your DD! I took my DGD(then 6) last year, just the two of us and we had a blast! This year it's going to be myself, my DD(28) & my DGD again! Hope to see you there as we'll be there 10/26-11/3! MNSSHP on the 31st with a 5:30 PS at LTT! :cool:

Janet2K
I agree with Lainy67. You and DD go and then for the weekend or long weekend your DH and DS join both of you. To me that would make perfect sence. Your DH and DS could get on a late flight out on Friday and then leave late that evening on Sunday. Also cancel your Grand Plan. I personally think that is to busy for you and DD.

Or just change your dates to January 21, 2003 (that is perfect if you ask me).

Or book a romantic cruise for you and DH for January 26, 2003 (I thought I would throw that in to).

Janet2K your problem is solved. Let all of us at the DIS solve your problem.

Go.Go.Go-yes defintiely GO!!

You two will have a blast! I would also forget the Grand Plan, I don;t think the two of you will be able to utilize everything you would be paying for. You could get a lot more souviners and stuff with the money you would save just cvhanging it to the resort magic and paying for whatever you want to do seperately. I can;t comment on BWV since I have never stayed there, but I know I'm dying to stay on The Boardwalk at any of the hotels! Maybe you could swiutch to Beach or Yacht club concierge so you can use Stormalong Bay. I know it can still be pretty hot the end of October.

I hope your son's surgery goes well.

Another vote for the "Girls Only, No Boys Allowed" plan. If you have MNSSHP for the whole family then maybe the boys can come for a few days... but not long... remember "No Boys Allowed"!;) I would definitely drop the Grand Plan and spend it on some pampering for you and DD... Finally, I am not for resort hopping, so I would sit down with DD and decide between the 2 of you which resort suits your needs and that is where I would stay!

Another vote for just you and DD - and another vote to drop the Grand Plan. BCV would be great if your DH and DS could join you for a part of it as was previously suggested...but I think the resort hopping that was also suggested would be a lot of fun. I'd definitely do a spa day where you and DS are completely and totally pampered. Not sure how old DS is, but how about a fancy night out at V&A's afterwards? Or, if she's a little too young for that, California Grill or some other favorite of yours.

Another vote for girls only, stay at the BCV and drop the Grand Plan. If you need any convinceing about the BCV, Deb Willis has some new pictures on her site, there is some interior hallway shots, villa models and a few outside shots. They look great.

I say, leave thre boys home!

That's what my 11-year old daughter and I did, in May. I have a boy in HS too so he and my husband stayed home. My daughter and I had a wonderful time!

I agree with the other posters - drop the Grand Plan- and resort hop if you have a car.

One of the nicest memories we had was feeding the ducks along the water at the Grand Floridian after having dinner at 1900 Park Faire. Lots of baby ducks. Those are the things my daughter remembers. :D

You should definitely go, especially if you have been feeling stressed out lately. And the less people you go with the more you can relax. I would just go with you and your DD. You two will have a blast. :D I would drop the Grand Plan, it really seems like too much to do to be able to get your money's worth. Maybe you could stay concierge as others have suggested and let someone else take care of YOU for once. You could probably use the break. Maybe on your first day you could go and have some spa treatments (massage!!!) to help you relax and start your vacation out on the right foot. Then just relax and enjoy!! I hope you end up going and have a great time. I also hope everything turns out well for your son, I will keep you in my thoughts during this troublesome time. Good luck to you and go and have some fun!!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Whtyger97, I am actually thinking of possibly tacking on a few days in the AKL concierge. That is my favorite resort and would be a perfect place for my daughter and I to spend a few days together just swimming & relaxing. I am giving it serious consideration. Plus, I recently exchanged a few e-mails with my favorite concierge CM, Don, and any time I deal with him, it reminds me of the wonderful service that he and his other CMs have supplied to my family and my guests. Oh, I’m getting all wistful just thinking about the AKL. *Sigh*

Meriweather & Mdmmim, where did you and your DDs “girls only” at? If you stayed at multiple resorts, I would be interested in hearing which ones you thought were best and why.

Tinkbell, you’re right, my heart is set on the “Girls Only, No Boys Allowed” trip, and yet I keep asking my son, “Are you sure you won’t join us?” He keeps telling me, “No.”

Bjakmom, so, you’ve had mother/son trips? I bet that was fun. Here’s some *Pixie Dust* for your oldest child’s medical tests – I hope everything turns out okay. And I hope you can go through with your upcoming trip. I think the AKL will be a wonderful place for your family to really relax and spend some quality time watching the animals or swimming in the pool. It is my favorite resort to relax in. Ahhhh!

DisneyLisa, I hope the day never comes for any of us when our children think they’re “too old” to vacation at WDW. Heck, if I don’t think I’m too old, how can they think they’re too old?! You bring up a good point regarding meals. I don’t eat breakfast, so it’s usually only two meals for me a day (okay, and maybe a bag of popcorn and an ice cream bar if I’m in the theme parks!). When on vacation, my daughter can’t be bothered to eat – there’s always too much going on for her to waste her time eating. Of course since she is a child, I usually make sure that she eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but while at WDW, I think breakfast and then a late lunch or early dinner (along with appropriate snacking) would be in order. Thanks for making me think about that.

Sharoncity, oh, boy, the votes for the “Girls Only, No Boys Allowed” vacation sure is gathering steam. Concierge does sound tempting, and as you’ve probably read up above, I am considering a few nights of it at the AKL. They seem to always be able to make me feel right at home and without a care in the World.

Lainy67, you brought up an excellent point. I should mention that before I posted here last week, I had already asked my son if he would consider flying to WDW with his dad for a few days. He told me, “No.” (Arg!) I think if WDW weren’t a cross-country trip, he might have seriously considered it, but since it takes up quite a bit of a full day in order to reach it, I think that is keeping him grounded back home. He’s a good student and obviously very serious about his upcoming school year, so I suppose I should be happy that I raised him to be a responsible human being. However, my heart is a little sad since he will be flying the coup and moving on towards college in the not-so-distant future. Why do they have to grow-up before I’m ready for them to grow-up? Oh, woe is me. *Sigh* Have no fear, I will keep asking him to join me in Orlando for at least a few days of the vacation. I don’t give up easily without a fight!

CaliforniaDreaming, thanks for the comment. I do need this trip (my spirits need it). I haven’t mentioned the change in plans yet to my parents. I am supposed to visit them next month, so I might casually mention it then and see if they would consider the idea of joining up with my daughter and me for a week in Florida. I know that my Mom has a big trip planned to Canada within the next few months, so a Florida trip in October might be too soon for her to want to travel again. I’m going to have to play that one by ear.

Jennymouse, we’ll be at MNSSHP on Halloween night, too, with dinner at the LTT beforehand. Hopefully we’ll get to “bump” into you and your family!!

Minbear, so, I finally made it to your post. You are TOO FUNNY with your January dates, hee hee! Don’t go tempting me; you know I have no willpower. Oh, a DCL cruise sounds glorious, it really does. *Sigh* Believe it or not, I was actually considering checking the DCL cruise schedule and seeing if I could squeeze in a three or four-day cruise during October/November. I don’t know if my son or husband would like my daughter and myself cruising on DCL without them, though. By the way, I love the idea of my fellow Dis’ers solving all my vacation dilemmas. (They’ve done it in the past and they are doing it right now!)

Carrieberry, thanks for your good wishes towards my son’s upcoming surgery. And you’re right about the Grand Plan; I wouldn’t utilize it much, if at all, this time. Of course if the Grand Plan covered the children’s activities at the GF, I might keep it, but since they don’t, what’s the point in paying all that money for the plan for a young child? My daughter certainly wouldn’t eat her money’s worth nor spend her money’s worth on recreational activities (there are only so many 18-hole rounds of golf a young girl can shoot, eh?!).

Mom2Em, I will take you up on your suggestion and ask my daughter where she wants to stay. She has already stayed in quite a few of the WDW resorts, so her opinion will be valuable. Of course she loves ALL of the WDW resorts, so I don’t expect too much of a fight if “I” choose where we’re going to stay (hee hee).

Tesabat, that is funny that you brought up Victoria & Albert’s. My family (with the exception of my daughter since she is only in the single-digits) has dined at V&A’s each and every WDW vacation. A WDW vacation would not be a vacation without at least one meal there. Since my daughter saw a few of my fellow Dis’ers V&A’s photos, she has been begging me to take her there. I am finally giving that serious consideration. I have told her time & time again that the meal lasts almost three hours and is very boring (especially since she will have to whisper throughout our meal), and yet she keeps begging to go. I might give in to her this time since it will just be the two of us. I was thinking about the Chef’s Table for our meal, however, I think she would enjoy the main restaurant more since it would make her feel more “grown-up.” Plus, I don’t cook, so dining in the kitchen holds no allure for me (hee hee).

Terry S, I recently saw Deb’s BCV’s photos. I agree with you, the resort looks great (and how can you beat the YC/BC’s main pool complex?!). I will definitely be keeping my BCV reservation.

Gabrielle, okay, I’m going to tell my husband that the boys have to stay home (I’ll be printing out your post and showing it to my husband so he knows who told me that I must do this, hee hee!). Oh, some of my family’s favorite memories are of swimming in the GF’s pool with those ducks. We, too, have lovely memories of those ducks. Thanks for reminding me of that.

ZPT1022, thanks for your good wishes. Stressed out has reached a whole new plateau for me this year. And the problems don’t seem to have an end in sight. My company had a mini-layoff the other week, with rumors already circulating regarding a major one either this week or next month. Yikes. When will the economy pick up and my industry along with it? I pray I can survive the next round of cutbacks. So far I am thanking my lucky stars (and a lot of Pixie Dust) that I have been able to survive. I hope the Gods continue to smile upon me. Only time will tell.

Fellow Dis’ers, thanks for all your kind wishes and excellent suggestions. I will continue on with my upcoming vacation, however, I will drop the Grand Plan portion of it (I’ll save that for when my whole family can vacation together again). My son & husband will stay home, while my daughter and I will set forth to WDW for a little “Girls Only, No Boys Allowed” fun. I will keep the BCV portion of my trip and ask my daughter if she wants to resort hop to someplace else for a few days. I will continue giving serious consideration to having a Girls’ Night Out at Vicky & Al’s. I think it would be fun for the two of us, and maybe I can contact the restaurant to see if they can come up with a menu that a little girl, oops!, young lady would like. It would be fun seeing what they suggest. Of course the dessert portion of the menu would be literally a piece of cake for them. My daughter is very daring and loves to try new foods, so even if they can’t tailor the menu too much for a young child, I think it would still turn out okay. I probably won’t contact them until September, but I promise to keep everyone posted on how that turns out.

I am wondering what to do about Halloween night (we have tickets for MNSSHP). Currently I have reservations for the BCV. Should I consider resort hopping over to any of the Magic Kingdom Resorts for that night since it will be just my young daughter and myself?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter