Feeling Guilty

They all live within a 30 minute drive, so distance is not the problem. One of my sisters insisted she is not going to come see my mom until her hair grows back, because she "just can't deal with seeing her bald". They all have their excuses why they can't or won't come and their reasons why I have to do it myself. Most of them are young and single with no families, just too self absorbed to care about anyone else. Found out on facebook that one of them is going to a local gambling town this weekend and that's why they can't come. Makes me angry.

This trip has been planned for two years, I would really like to go, but I can't have a good time if I know my mom is not being cared for. She is usually fine the first three days, and then Sunday or Monday the worst hits and she has been hospitalized after all three of her treatments. She gets very incoherent, can't get up from bed, can't eat or drink without help, and needs IV fluids administered to keep her hydrated. Just want her to be cared for and okay. I would have postponed the trip for in between treatments, but it was going to cost us $800 to make the changes, and it's money we don't have right now. My youngest brother said he'd ditch school for three days and be with her, but my mom forbid it.

I think we will likely end up going, just not sure if I am going to enjoy it as much as I could. Lame that I have to worry about my mom so much when there are so many people who could step in for those few days and give me a chance to enjoy myself. Missed out on so much already because of her care while all my siblings are going on with their lives like it's not even happening.

It is your trip go and enjoy. I just did a quick search and found this http://www.rightathome.net/saltlakecentral/ my grandma had a lady come and stay with her and it worked out great. It will add an expense but it will be so worth it for you not to worry. Should your siblings step up YES, but they are not going to so take it in your own hands and be proactive so you can enjoy your trip! You need it.

I am really sorry for all that you are going through. I agree that you should go, because as a caregiver you NEED that break. I am sorry your siblings aren't able to help out short-term. I'm certain both your parents understand that you have had this planned for years and, honestly, as a caregiver, you need that break.

My situation is not identical, but I just lost my job and we have a trip planned & paid for already. I feel guilty going and not using the money for hotel/car/etc to pay bills, but I also know that being there is good therapy.

I hope you go and enjoy yourself and come home refreshed.

They all live within a 30 minute drive, so distance is not the problem. One of my sisters insisted she is not going to come see my mom until her hair grows back, because she "just can't deal with seeing her bald". They all have their excuses why they can't or won't come and their reasons why I have to do it myself. Most of them are young and single with no families, just too self absorbed to care about anyone else. Found out on facebook that one of them is going to a local gambling town this weekend and that's why they can't come. Makes me angry.

This trip has been planned for two years, I would really like to go, but I can't have a good time if I know my mom is not being cared for. She is usually fine the first three days, and then Sunday or Monday the worst hits and she has been hospitalized after all three of her treatments. She gets very incoherent, can't get up from bed, can't eat or drink without help, and needs IV fluids administered to keep her hydrated. Just want her to be cared for and okay. I would have postponed the trip for in between treatments, but it was going to cost us $800 to make the changes, and it's money we don't have right now. My youngest brother said he'd ditch school for three days and be with her, but my mom forbid it.

I think we will likely end up going, just not sure if I am going to enjoy it as much as I could. Lame that I have to worry about my mom so much when there are so many people who could step in for those few days and give me a chance to enjoy myself. Missed out on so much already because of her care while all my siblings are going on with their lives like it's not even happening.

This is horrible! It reminds me of my father-in-law and DW's uncle. My in-laws cared for DW's grandmother in the last years of her life when she had breast cancer. DW's uncle lived 30 minutes away, but would never go visit. However he sure as heck showed up at the funeral and to collect his inheritance.

Is your Dad aware of how bad they are treating you and the fact that they will do nothing to help your Mom? Although, parents being parents he will probably forgive. That's how it is in my family! My siblings can do no wrong in my parents' eyes even though they are in their forties and still mooching off of them. I am the bad child because I moved away and abandoned them even though I am self-sufficient. :mad:

WOW.....you should tell the sibling with the "hair issue" that she may not get to see her mother any other way and they should all want to spend enough time with her as possible because no one knows how much time they will have left, as far as a nurse...since they all "have jobs" could they not all pitch in on the cost of a nurse for those days, i mean surely if the one has money to gamble he could help with that and split 7 ways that wouldn't be to much money!!....Good luck.....and definitely go on your trip its probably going to only get worse before it gets better and this is a much needed break

I agree with everyone else. Clearly your siblings are not dealing with your mother's illness well and you are wonderful for caring for her as you have so far. But I totally agree with you and the PP's that you need and deserve this break.

My suggestion is this- tell your siblings that you are going on this trip and caring for mom while you are gone is their responsibility. Whether they fulfill that responsibility in person by caring for mom or by hiring someone to help is up to them. It would help if your dad backed you up on this too....

I'm with all the others here... GO ON THE TRIP with your family!!!!

Found out on facebook that one of them is going to a local gambling town this weekend and that's why they can't come. Makes me angry.

I'd go on facebook and add a snide comment to their gambling weekend. But that's just me... Doesn't sound like something you'd do....

My youngest brother said he'd ditch school for three days and be with her, but my mom forbid it.

See there is one of your siblings willing to help. Most everyone has a cell phone, if your mom won't let him stay home to care for her, have him call and check on her. If there is an issue, he could leave school and come home to care for her.

Lame that I have to worry about my mom so much when there are so many people who could step in for those few days and give me a chance to enjoy myself. Missed out on so much already because of her care while all my siblings are going on with their lives like it's not even happening.

If there is a cost related to her care while you are away, have those not willing to come in person share the $$$. Let them know up front, they will be paying the cost out of their pocket.

As others have mentioned there are programs available for you mom's needs. Now is a good time to line up assistance to care for your mom when you can't.

Some times you have to take a break.... It doesn't make you a bad daughter.

Go to DLR and enjoy your family time. You deserve it!!

Geemo

You NEED to go. You need this for you, for your kids, for your family. And if your mom is anything like mine, she would be pissed if she were the reason you missed something you have been planning so long.

I know you said your dad can't take the time off, but why isn't he talking to your siblings? He should be the one asking for their help, not you. I know you love your mom, and I think I would react very much the same way you are, but it isn't your job to find somebody to cover for you. I really think this is something your dad needs to take care of. I'm sure the hospital is the last place she wants to be, but would her doctor be willing to admit her Mon-Wed, since it seems that's where she ends up anyway?

I do feel for you though. My mom lost both of her parents within 4 months of each other last year and none of her siblings stepped up. Let your siblings believe you're selfish (you're not, btw) - sometimes we have to put ourselves first for our own health. You won't be any good to your mom if you have a breakdown from the stress.

I know you will worry about her while you're gone, so call & check in, but have a good time with your family.

ETA: I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are even in this position.

they are all too busy to "facilitate my vacation".

How lovely of them.

You have a job of parenting. Any of them have kids that they have someone else watch while they work? The person watching their kids has a job. Therefore, watching children is a job. You just don't happen to get paid for it in an obvious fashion (nor do I). If they have kids that are watched by others, those caregivers have the right to have vacation, and so do you.

Now you have a second job, that of caretaker. And caretakers deserve vacations, too. Taking care of a parent is just about the hardest thing you will EVER do in your life, from what I've noticed in watching my aunt.

That said, people not in the position you're in usually do NOT understand. They have NO clue of the difficulties. They don't know how emotionally wrenching it all is. How physically draining it is.

I remember listening to my mom when my aunt was taking care of their mom while also raising a daughter, and my mom, wonderful as she was, didn't get it. She wanted to help, but ultimately the thing that would have helped would have been for my mom to take 2 weeks of vacation and get herself down to their mom's house and physically HELP. My mom tried her best, along with their brother, to make money available, to make suggestions (like find respite care while aunt took classes to be an official caregiver so she could get some money from Medicare/caid...this might be something not available in every state and/or might be something that could happen then but not now, I don't know), etc, but my aunt never felt *helped* by that. (which was on her a bit...she really should have done that, but couldn't believe that respite care would help...a couple years later when she finally did find respite care as my grandma went further into Alzheimers she wished she had done so years before)

Now, years later, with my mom gone and with a friendship with my aunt (that never happened until my mom was gone), I hear her side of the story. She just wanted help.

I did my own share of caregiving last year, and it wasn't even full time, nor was it for someone I particularly care about, but it was seriously disturbingly difficult. I wasn't that tired even when DS was brand new, and trust me, I was tired then.

Maybe you can get referrals for in-home care from your mom's hospital? There are people who's job is to perform non-medical assistance for those recovering from illness, such as providing meals, keeping the ill comfortable, medication reminding. Basically, they are adult sitters and help out when their partner has to be at work. Some of the cost may be covered by her insurance.

:thumbsup2

Work fast, but for sure get respite and someone to help care for your mom. Speak to her doctor ASAP.

Hearing from my siblings that it was selfish of me to be taking a vacation when my mom was so sick really got into my head I guess.

Well, what are THEY doing that's so incredibly important?

As for your dad...he certainly could take off time. What if it were he that was so sick? What would his company do? He could take FMLA time, he could work different hours, he could talk to management about this BRIEF period of time when his wife's caregiver isn't available.

Does his company have an employee assistance program? He should talk to them about possibilities. Do they have access to caregivers? Discounts? etc?

She's your mom but she's HIS WIFE. And honestly this (your other plans...forget that it's a "vacation", forget that it's Disneyland...you have other plans for this period of time, end of story) shouldn't be hitting you harder than it is him.

I did talk to my local church and they are going to have a few people check in on her now. Calling at seven in the morning crying and emotional sure helped my case that I needed help. LOL.
Wish I could hire a nurse, but my husband recently lost his job. This trip is only happening because we had already paid for it and can't get it refunded.

I'm glad the church people are coming.

But why would YOU hire a nurse? Just because you are the caregiver right now doesn't mean that you are responsible for hiring someone to replace you. Your parents are lucky that you're doing this (unpaid, it seems), and they should be finding someone to fill in while you fill your tanks and get a breather. I hope THEY know how hard this second job of yours is, and I hope they really get that you do need a break or you're going to wear yourself into the ground.

Have your dad look for someone.

Really want to go, but don't want to be held responsible and crucified by my siblings if something were to go wrong while I am not there either. Family sucks sometimes!

Doesn't sound like they are much of a family. If my family were like that they wouldn't be my family anymore.

What if something happens while you're in the bathroom? Are you not allowed to do that? Or at the store? Or with your back turned? Have they actually thought this through? Obviously not. If something happens, since they aren't helping out while you are unavailable, if they are going to assign blame it will HAVE TO go allll the way around. If something happens, well, you weren't there, but neither were they.

How can they possibly not understand, that in order for someone to take physical care of an aging parent, that someone must take care of themselves emotionally, in order to do the job properly, and possibly for an extended time?

I don't defend, but it really is difficult for many people to get it. I come from a background of not really getting it, either. And then I did. And then I really did when I helped my MIL last year. For some people you don't get it until you're living it.

Found out on facebook that one of them is going to a local gambling town this weekend and that's why they can't come. Makes me angry.

Say something. They have no problems saying things, why should you? Your trip has been planned for 2 years; when did THEY decide to go?

I didn't think I could handle seeing my mom, either. But that wasn't the reason I didn't see her while she was being treated for leukemia; I was living cross-country in a brand new job without vacation time, and I kept getting sick. You can't visit someone being treated for leukemia while sick, so the trip got put off. I was finally healthy, she gave me a timeframe to visit after her last chemo session, and then she died because of the blood thinner (while in remission) and the whole passel of doctors and nurses utterly missing the fact that she was having gastric bleeding for a couple weeks. Died, suddenly, days before my scheduled visit.

I don't say that to scare you. I know you're already scared. I say it to tell your sister.

My aunt tells me I'm lucky because I didn't see my mom while she was so sick. I'm not totally sure I care one little bit about that. My brother saw her about halfway through treatment and they say I'm lucky. Again, not sure about that. All I know is that I saw my mom a couple weeks before she was diagnosed and then never, ever again. And that sucks.

I don't want even your selfish siblings to have regrets IF something were to happen, and their regrets would be their faults, not like my situation where I just kept getting sick and lived cross country.

Is your Dad aware of how bad they are treating you and the fact that they will do nothing to help your Mom?

Dad definitely needs to step up a bit.

...since they all "have jobs" could they not all pitch in on the cost of a nurse for those days, i mean surely if the one has money to gamble he could help with that and split 7 ways that wouldn't be to much money!!....

I'm pretty PO'd on your behalf. :furious: Gee, I sure hope _they_ don't need help with anything anytime soon! Remember, young and single is often like it's own disease with symptoms of insanity and brain damage. :sad2:

Best advice is to ditch the guilt. Yes, you're the primary care giver for your mom, but you are also the primary care giver for your kids and husband, and they need you too. Quality time and making good memories with them is important.

Keeping you and your mom in my prayers. :goodvibes

Go, bring pictures back to share the experience with her, it will bring a smile to her face in a troubled time.

First off, I am SO sorry that you are going through this situation. My thoughts are with you.

My husband and I had a very similar situation happen with his mother. I won't go into details, but we also had to deal with very unhelpful siblings, who for one reason or another, refused to help us. I learned that I could only control my own actions, and I just had to let go of the fact that they were not around when I needed them. It sounds like they are not an option to help you on this trip, so there is no point in wasting more energy trying to convince them.

It sounds like your mother does not need a nurse while you are gone, but rather a caregiver that can be home with her and help with any needs she will have. There are many organizations that work with the sick/elderly. They basically provide "sitting" services. I used a service called "Visiting Angels", and they enabled me to go run errands, etc. It was not terribly expensive since it isn't nursing care, and I had peace of mind that my mother in law was being taken care of when I left the house.

I know it is hard, but try to think about how you would feel if you were the one who was sick, and one of your children had to stay home with you. You would want them to go on vacation! I'm sure your mother feels the same way.

You are a wonderful person to be caring for your mother. But as many PP have said, you need a break now and then, and NO ONE has the right to make you feel guilty about that. Regardless of whether or not your father or siblings are right or wrong, YOU are not going to feel comfortable leaving your mother without adequate care. However, that care does exist out there.

I really hope you are able to go and enjoy your Disney vacation with your family. You deserve it.

I am so sorry you have to got through this. I agree with everyone that you should go for yourself and your family. In order to be a good caregiver you need to be good to yourself and that involves taking a break to recharge.

It sounds like your own family has had it pretty rough this year and needs mom to go on this trip. IMHO, you should go.

Does your father work for a large company? More than 50 employees? Under FMLA, your father's employer is required under federal law to give him time off to care for your mother. They can't fire him for it. This time off can be for a long period or for short periods of time (say for three days after chemo). He needs to file his paperwork if his company meets criteria.

You can't care for all the people in your life, if you don't take care of you first. Without being too harsh...tell your siblings to get off their ***** and step up to the plate. Regardless of what your full time job is ( and make no mistake, a stay at home mom is more full time than their job by a log shot) they have as much responsibility in this situation as you. There are eight of you. Certainly enough to try to keep any one person from being overly stressed by the care taking. Unfortunately, you are going to have to put your foot down. And because it appears that they are kind of selfish, they are going to blame you for pointing out their faults. (I hope that you father helps you do this, but this situation didn't get this way by having your dad help you.)

Take care of yourself.

I agree with everyone here too. Just a thought...you said your younger brother would skip school for 3 days but mom forbids it. If I were the younger brother and my grades are good, I think missing 3 days is ok. Especially if the teachers can give assignments early to do while he is being caregiver. I know mom forbids but I (brother)would be telling my mom that I want to do this for her, and for you. The time he will spend caring is short and he may one day treasure the fact that he was able to help even in a small way. I would be telling mom she can't forbid it because I(brother) want to take care of her cuz I love her, and I also want sis(you) to get the break she needs. You know your mom best though and I don't know what her response to this would be. Wishing you the best....hugs...

I am so angry for you. If you are going to have 8 children then there should be MANY to care for you in your time of need. This is so sad. You deserve a vacation from your two jobs. You received some excellent advice: your mom would want you to go and she will smile to see the pictures you bring back, take up the church and any other offerings of help. Can you compromise and have the brother miss 1 or 2 days and fill in by hiring someone? Maybe you know someone who would like a little extra money? I know it will be tight to pay them but worth your peace of mind. Pls let us know how this turns out. And try to enjoy yourself, you deserve this time to recharge and you will be better for it when you return. Hugs to you for all you are doing for your family.

Thanks everyone. My dad works for a large foreign bank and is a very specialized database guy, he could take FMLA, but it would seriously hurt the company as the other guys are gone right now. He doesn't want to risk giving them a reason to want to fire him (yeah, it's illegal, but it happens, my husband came back from two weeks of FMLA and was "fired" for not leaving proper documentation even though he did) The last thing we need is my dad losing his job. He has pretty much remained nuetral with my siblings, telling me he knows all I do and appreciates it and that they have no room to talk, but not really putting them in their place (and they have needed it, at one point one of them accused me of abusing my mother and he just told me to not listen to them). At my wits end trying to get help from them, but my dad doesn't want to make waves and anger them by making them help. They look at it as doing me a favor, instead of as helping mom. Drives me nuts.

Just wish I didn't have to leave with guilt and worry heaped on top of me. Is disneyland magic enough to make that guilt and worry go away for a while? Haven't slept in days because of the guilty feelings. :( Just want to have a happy fun time, but with everything going on I am just not feeling that way. :( Hopefully my boys will be happy enough to make up for me feeling so conflicted.

On a happy note, a dear lady from our church who works for a travel agency dropped by today and gave us all mouse ears and my boys autograph books for our trip. It sure excited them! They have been running around in mouse ears and superhero suits all afternoon.

I really feel for you, OP.

It sounds like there's all sorts of messed up going on around you.

I'm mad that your siblings rank you so low they walk all over you.

I'm mad that your dad won't stand up to them for you.

I'm mad that your mom appreciates your emotional health so little that she would forbid your brother from taking a few days to help out so you can get away.

And now I'm mad at you for feeling even the smallest degree of guilt over this.

You know when you get on an airplane, they tell parents of small children to put their OWN oxygen mask on first in the event of an emergency...... so that they can then better care for their children. This trip is your oxygen mask. PUT IT ON PLEASE. Have a great time. Then come home and start standing up to your family.

If it were me, I would cut off all ties with your siblings. Stop taking there phone calls and answering there emails. If they even care enough to wonder how your mom is doing, let them drop by the house to see her, but after their visit show them the door and do not engage them in conversation. After all, they are not treating you like family, so why should you even give them the time of day?

I really feel for you, OP.

It sounds like there's all sorts of messed up going on around you.

I'm mad that your siblings rank you so low they walk all over you.

I'm mad that your dad won't stand up to them for you.

I'm mad that your mom appreciates your emotional health so little that she would forbid your brother from taking a few days to help out so you can get away.

And now I'm mad at you for feeling even the smallest degree of guilt over this.

You know when you get on an airplane, they tell parents of small children to put their OWN oxygen mask on first in the event of an emergency...... so that they can then better care for their children. This trip is your oxygen mask. PUT IT ON PLEASE. Have a great time. Then come home and start standing up to your family.

I don't want to seem insensitive, but I totally agree.

I know the way I would want to be there for my mom, but I don't understand why you, your father, your siblings and even your mother feel it is your job to give up things to be there for your mom, but not for others to do the same. I understand the situation with your siblings - I don't think it's ok, I think they are being the selfish ones, but I know it happens a lot with siblings. What I don't get is how your dad is too busy to take care of HIS sick wife. I know you don't want him losing his job, so maybe he can't be the one to physically be there, but it is up to him to find somebody to help your mom. You have already gone above and beyond for both of them.

I really don't mean to dump on you when you've already got so much on your plate, but I just feel so bad that anybody has made you feel guilty or is taking away something that you so desperately need and deserve. As does YOUR family. Your husband and kids shouldn't be punished for this. I know you can't leave without things being in place, but for argument's sake, what would happen if you told your dad that you were going on vacation, your siblings were unwilling to help, so it was up to him to figure something out? Would he step up and figure it out? Mothers often take the weight of the world on their shoulders, so I do understand and appreciate the position you are in, but you also need to know that this isn't your problem to solve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter