February 2013 Discount Watch

I'm a newbie to the whole planning thing, since my last visit to WDW was 20 years ago, when I was a teenager.

I booked 10 days in February at Caribbean Beach Resort for DH and I, and we also made some ADRs. So, if it so happens that free dining is offered during our stay, do we get a discount, and how is that applied?

If a discount is released, you will have to call to have it applied. Honestly, I would make all of my reservations planning on dining. If they don't release a code and you can't afford them all, then cancel. But if you wait and then try and book, you may be out of luck. Some things fill up fast.

If a discount is released, you will have to call to have it applied. Honestly, I would make all of my reservations planning on dining. If they don't release a code and you can't afford them all, then cancel. But if you wait and then try and book, you may be out of luck. Some things fill up fast.

Hmmmm, so this has me wondering. We're going for 3 nights pre-cruise and I haven't booked with WDW yet. I figured I'd wait to see what offers came up. Should I just go ahead and book and make my ADR's now since I'll be going whether they offer FD or not? Pretty much a newbie here since I've only been a couple of times. :confused3 We're going 2/13-2/16.

Is anyone else experiencing trouble with the Disney reservations site? I booked all our dining reservations online and I have email confirmations but when I go to view all my reservations only the room/tickets/dining package shows up. When I try to retrieve my reservations, the site displays that they are having trouble displaying reservations. I called and the CM was surprised to hear that was happening and then said it should only be for a few days if they are having site trouble. This was several weeks ago and I still can't retrieve my dining reservations to link them to our trip.

Is anyone else experiencing trouble with the Disney reservations site? I booked all our dining reservations online and I have email confirmations but when I go to view all my reservations only the room/tickets/dining package shows up. When I try to retrieve my reservations, the site displays that they are having trouble displaying reservations. I called and the CM was surprised to hear that was happening and then said it should only be for a few days if they are having site trouble. This was several weeks ago and I still can't retrieve my dining reservations to link them to our trip.

I'm able to view my package confirmation and the dining reservations I have linked to it. If you do a thread search here on the dis of issues viewing online ADRs (advanced dining reservations), you'll probably find some helpful info. I've read it has something to do with updating your profile on the disney website. good luck!

MatthewsMommy said:
Hmmmm, so this has me wondering. We're going for 3 nights pre-cruise and I haven't booked with WDW yet. I figured I'd wait to see what offers came up. Should I just go ahead and book and make my ADR's now since I'll be going whether they offer FD or not? Pretty much a newbie here since I've only been a couple of times. :confused3 We're going 2/13-2/16.

I would say yes :)

Last evening we decided to live dangerously and we booked our flights. Ok, I admit... I panicked. I saw the seats start to fill and the prices go up to we grabbed a decent priced flight while we could. Now we just have to wait and see if we stay on or off property. Come on Free Dining!!

Similar to everyone else, we are hoping for free dining during our trip from 1/31/12 thru 2/6/12. In the event free dining is NOT offered, I went ahead and booked a Cars Suite at AoA through Expedia. The price is the exact same as it is on the Disney site, and Expedia offers a FREE cancellation up until about a week before our stay (not to mention I get a bunch of Expedia points). I figured that way we secured the reasonable rate, and if free dining would come along, I could cancel the Expedia reservation to get my money back and then book thru Disney.

And we booked our flights through Southwest during their 11 day sale and got a GREAT round trip flight. The nice thing with Southwest is, if we need to change the flight, there are no penalties!!! (we'd just pay any differences in airfare).

Just figured I'd share our strategy. Hope this helps!!!

How did you do on airfare? I planned our dates around the cheapest. Last trip it was JetBlue $79 each way during a sale. (2009) This time it ended up being Southwest's web rate of $100 each way. I know that is a fairly good deal right?

Similar to everyone else, we are hoping for free dining during our trip from 1/31/12 thru 2/6/12. In the event free dining is NOT offered, I went ahead and booked a Cars Suite at AoA through Expedia. The price is the exact same as it is on the Disney site, and Expedia offers a FREE cancellation up until about a week before our stay (not to mention I get a bunch of Expedia points). I figured that way we secured the reasonable rate, and if free dining would come along, I could cancel the Expedia reservation to get my money back and then book thru Disney.
Disney has a free cancellation policy, too, and you only have to pay for one night for a room only reservation to hold the room.

And we booked our flights through Southwest during their 11 day sale and got a GREAT round trip flight. The nice thing with Southwest is, if we need to change the flight, there are no penalties!!! (we'd just pay any differences in airfare).

Just figured I'd share our strategy. Hope this helps!!!

Southwest has a no penalties for changing policy? Why didn't I know this. My husband had been nagging me to book the airfare during the sale but I was stubbornly refusing until we knew if free dining would be offered in February. Oh well, the one way ticket is only $8 higher this morning than it was during the sale.

Has anyone taken advantage of the SWA change policy? Is it totally free? Can you change a higher price ticket for a sale ticket if a sale comes up?

Has anyone taken advantage of the SWA change policy? Is it totally free? Can you change a higher price ticket for a sale ticket if a sale comes up?

I believe if a higher priced flight is available you have to pay the difference in the price of the flights. Other airlines will charge you the difference in the price of the flight, PLUS a change fee to change it. I think that's what it means when it says no change fees.

Sure have! If it's a cheaper flight, you get a credit (and it has to be used by the same person who earned it, so currently, my family of 5 each has a $40 credit as opposed to one $200 credit in my account). If it's more expensive, you just pay the difference. Just go to their website and click "Change Flight" and put in your confirmation number. It offers you flights on the same day but you can even change that. Love SWA!

With Southwest, the round-trip airfare from Pittsburgh was $210 per person. I actually called SWA to make sure of their policy regarding flight changes.

As far as Expedia, yes I had to pay in advance, but I will get a nice amount of Expedia Rewards Points if we keep the reservation. And if free dining is offered, I can easily cancel and book thru Disney.

Good luck all and let's hope for FREE DINING!!!

Sure have! If it's a cheaper flight, you get a credit (and it has to be used by the same person who earned it, so currently, my family of 5 each has a $40 credit as opposed to one $200 credit in my account). If it's more expensive, you just pay the difference. Just go to their website and click "Change Flight" and put in your confirmation number. It offers you flights on the same day but you can even change that. Love SWA!

And the credit has to be used within one year of the original purchase. They will not extend it for any reason.

Southwest has a no penalties for changing policy? Why didn't I know this. My husband had been nagging me to book the airfare during the sale but I was stubbornly refusing until we knew if free dining would be offered in February. Oh well, the one way ticket is only $8 higher this morning than it was during the sale.

Another thing you can do is log your flight with Yapta. Free, on-line website that will track your flight for you & notify you if it drops. Save you having to go back & keep checking prices.

I'm really hoping something will be announced this week. I'm getting so impatient waiting!! Last 2 years, FD for February was released in August. And now here we are practically in October! It feels like torture at this point!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter