FE Gift/Maple Syrup

katscradle

<font color=deeppink>Left a special sweetness for
I just thought I would post this here so everyone would have a chance to see it.
I am really glad that you liked the FE gift of Maple Syrup.
This is a family effort that is done every year.
We wanted to give a gift from home and nothing else we could think of even came close to this.
The farm that the syrup comes from has been in my family since 1860.
Including my boy's 5 generations have made maple syrup on this farm.
Usually we take orders in January of each year from friends and family that would like to have some for their own personal use.
It is not a big operation and is not sold in stores.
This year we tapped 125 maple trees.
You need 45 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup.
Then there is the boiling process, just because night falls does not mean you get to call it a day.
The syrup is boiled over a wood fed fire.
It must continue to run through the night.
We sleep in shifts, as the fire must be fed every 30 minutes, and I am not talking 1 stick of wood.
We usually can put 10 logs in that are 16-18inches long, and 8-10 inches in dia. this must be done about every 30 minutes.
You probably get enough every day to bottle 2 maybe 3 runs if your lucky.
A run would be enough syrup to fill 50 of the little bottles.
As you can see, this can be quite the job.
We brought with us 125 of those little bottles.
We wanted extra due to the ending sign-up date of the FE gift exchange.
It also helped as we wanted to give a gift to some friends that had not signed up for the FE gift exchange, such as Corey, Julie, Ferris, Pete, Walter, Pete's Mom, Kevin, John, Kevin's Mom, Kathy, and a few other's that I know I am missing here.
A little fact for all our friend's in England:
This syrup is made in the same little town in Ontario, Canada, where Prince Andrew attended Lakefield college school.
And it's my home town..:yay::yay::yay:

I did not want to miss thanking everyone who has generously thanked me for this gift, so I started this thread.

This gift was amazing, I can't believe it takes so long to make :scared1: At the summer camp I went to we tried to make maple sugar candy from the syrup - by hand - and that was hard enough :faint:

Thank you all very much for putting in such time and effort to this :flower3::cheer2:

Didn't know Prince Andrew went to school in Canada - hope he behaved himself ;) unlike his nephews :sad2:

Yes just let me say I did not participate in the fish extender since I didn;t sign up to just a week before the trip but thank you so much for the syrup. Not sure if you remember me but I had the daughter trying to find out from everyone where we would be staying in dec. lol

I had some with waffles two days ago. It was SOOOOOOO GOOD. Thanks for the great Gift!!!

This gift was amazing, I can't believe it takes so long to make :scared1: At the summer camp I went to we tried to make maple sugar candy from the syrup - by hand - and that was hard enough :faint:

Thank you all very much for putting in such time and effort to this :flower3::cheer2:

Didn't know Prince Andrew went to school in Canada - hope he behaved himself ;) unlike his nephews :sad2:

Yes just let me say I did not participate in the fish extender since I didn;t sign up to just a week before the trip but thank you so much for the syrup. Not sure if you remember me but I had the daughter trying to find out from everyone where we would be staying in dec. lol

Yes there were never any incidents when he was at school there.
I think his parents had their hands full with his older brother.:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I remember you. :)
Glad we did not miss you. :thumbsup2
The cut-off date was the problem, we did not want to be caught short.
Thank god we were not.:worship::worship:

I also wanted to say that each bottle full, weighed 3.6ozs. :eek:
Needless to say our suitcases were very heavy coming down.
We were glad to have a lighter load coming home. :banana::banana:
The airlines marked each one of our 6 suitcases as heavy...:rotfl2::rotfl2:
We had 6 suitcaes going down and each suitcase
weighed between 48-49lbs.:lmao::lmao:

Wow -- I also had no idea so much effort was involved in one of those products many of us just pour from the bottle without thinking about it.

Thank you so much for lugging all that liquid gold (or should I say amber?) to the ship. It was a heartfelt gift and your post seriously has me tearing up.

I do believe DISers are the greatest people in the world!!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Hey if you need some help next year making it I'm in. :goodvibes

Another piece of Andrew trivia -- his girlfriend from his days at Lakefield was invited to his wedding.

Fiona

Thank you Katherine and John. I am seeing blueberry pancakes in my not to distant future to have with your syrup.

That was certainly over and above the call of duty!! Carrying all that maple syrup - we really appreciate it!! We love REAL maple syrup!!

Lois and Greg

I had mine with French Toast yesterday. It was very yummy. Thanks Katherine, John, Kenny, and Johnny! :goodvibes

Well you I know I loved it! I actually tracked you down and started cyber stalking to see if there was more!! I still think you should look into that big plastic bottle idea you had.....

Well you I know I loved it! I actually tracked you down and started cyber stalking to see if there was more!! I still think you should look into that big plastic bottle idea you had.....

I already have somthing like that in the works for you next year.

Hi Kat,

Just wanted to say that this stuff is incredible. I have never had a maple syrup like this one before. It's sweeter and smoother than any I have tried before, so thank you! It was enjoyed :thumbsup2
Interesting history too!

Thank you so much for the syrup. The syrup was delicious on my pancakes. I appreciate all the hard work you went through for us!!!

I had mine with French Toast yesterday. It was very yummy. Thanks Katherine, John, Kenny, and Johnny! :goodvibes

I just bought the french toast ingredients at the grocery store today so I can use my syrup tomorrow morning!!! I am sure it will be delicious!!!

Thanks so much Katherine, John, Kenny and Johnny!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Then is it too early to place an order? Guess I should wait for you to figure out a price, huh? Whatever it ends up being, it's worth it. I can't believe this, I've spent my entire life sneering at Canadians because........well I don't know why. Then I discover the best beer ever at Le Cellier, Trois Pistoles, a couple of years ago, and now this awsome, God-sent, almost better than >CENSORED< syrup! I love Canada!! :thanks:

Then is it too early to place an order? Guess I should wait for you to figure out a price, huh? Whatever it ends up being, it's worth it. I can't believe this, I've spent my entire life sneering at Canadians because........well I don't know why. Then I discover the best beer ever at Le Cellier, Trois Pistoles, a couple of years ago, and now this awsome, God-sent, almost better than >CENSORED< syrup! I love Canada!! :thanks:

Yeah well you are not the only one that has ever done that, don't worry about it.
Wait till you hear this...
My grandmother was Native
Now picture this..
We are on Tom Sawyer Island
I go up into the fort were the children can shoot the guns..
There is a father and a son there..
The son is shooting everything he can..
The father says "O.K. are you done shooting all the Indians son?"
The son turns around and responds "No, I am done shooting all the stupid Canadians!"
The father looks at me and say's "I don't know where he came up with that"...
They leave..
I tell DH about this and the father and son are on the same boat back to MK with us.
Now we had a couple of bottles in the park bag for a friend.
DH pulls out a bottle walks up to the man, gives him the bottle and tells him "a gift from a friendly Canadian"..:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
The guy looked a John and said "now I am scared".:scared1::scared1::scared1:
What would you think?

Wow...that blows my mind that the kid would say that. Top-notch of John to handle it the way he did though, no doubt in my mind who the better man was!

Katherine - We had our syrup this morning with waffles. Oh my goodness! It was honestly the best syrup I have ever tasted. Thank you guys SO MUCH for going to all that trouble for us! :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter