Favorite sore feet nightly traditions?

That's insane! The toilet bowl does indeed have bacteria. If you have an ingrown toenail or a blister, you are just asking for an infection.

I swear, the info on this board....:sad2:

Agreed! Think about it - unless you clean the toilet bowl with bleach every single time you use it, of course it would have germs in it! To me, that's way more gross than re-using a water bottle to roll under your feet and putting it back in the fridge (which someone else thought was gross)! Don't soak your feet in the toilet bowl.

I have fibro and can't travel anywhere without my Arnica Gel, I started using it on my feet during a trip to vegas and the Grand Canyon .My DH now swears by it for all of his sore muscles after hiking or working out.

I really don't have this issue. I find that if I wear good comfortable shoes and apply moleskin, I do well with no problems for an entire vacation.

Has anyone ever heard the expression R.I.C.E. before when referring to injured athletes?

RICE stands for

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

So, lets start with rest...When you get back to the resort, sit down, lay down, just get off your feet. If you go for drinks that night, sit at the bar, don't stand etc.

Ice: use the ice bucket in your room or bring a soft sided cooler with you on your trip. We use one to bring snacks to the parks, then I make an ice bath for my feet in the evenings. 5 minutes in ice water followed by 5 minutes in hot water, then repeat the process is golden,

Compression helps inflammation because it helps blood flow. Many companies make compression socks now and prices can get pretty high, but some companies are coming out with lower prices options (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76623?productId=1269653&subrnd=0&qs=3016887_pmd_google_pla).

For elevation I lie on my back with my rear end at the base of a wall and my feet directly up in the air for about the first 5 minutes I put my compression socks on and if I lay in bed, rest them under a few pillows.

As always, ibuprofen will help with inflammation as well.

I have found going into the resort pool really helps my aching legs and feet especially if possible at the end of the day, I also used Dr. Scholl's peppermint foot rub I heard there is one by the Body Shop too and I also take advil either PM or regular though the day as preventive and usually advil PM at night for the feet and sore legs:flower3:

I'm all about the ice. I take the ice bucket and any plastic shopping bag I can find, and get ice the minute I get back to the room. I stick it in the bath tub with cold water and put my feet in. The ice numbs the feet, reduces swelling, and feels so refreshing! Then I dry my feet, put peppermint lotion on, and elevate, elevate, elevate!

We go to the pool after a busy day - the quiet pools are usually open 24 hours. It is usually cool and refreshing - then a quick shower to warm up - a couple of aspirin before going to bed and feet feel great the next day.

I like to relax in the pool at the end of the day, too, except I take two Advil in the morning before we head out. In addition I use peppermint cream on my feet and legs, and never wear the same shoes two days in a row...I bring Sketchers Shape Ups sneakers and Shape Up flip flops because they are so cushiony.

I have found going into the resort pool really helps my aching legs and feet especially if possible at the end of the day, I also used Dr. Scholl's peppermint foot rub I heard there is one by the Body Shop too and I also take advil either PM or regular though the day as preventive and usually advil PM at night for the feet and sore legs:flower3:

I read thru the entire thread and this is what I do too.

Our last trip to WDW was just after I had a cast removed from my ankle, so swelling was a problem even before we got to WDW. I always wear sensible sneakers at WDW, but because of swelling, this just wasn't going to happen this trip. Soooo....I got me some Crocs and soaked my ankle each night in the POFQ hot tub...Worked for me!! :thumbsup2

I wish I had all this information before our last trip in September 2012

I had such a major issue with my feet on our last trip... by the time we got to Universal and spent a few days there, I was in such pain I could barely walk around. I remember standing in line for Shrek 4D and not being able to think about anything but, how horrible my feet were hurting!!

I was soaking my feet in hot water at night and didn't realize I was making the swelling worse..:sad:

Our two trips before that I didn't really have any issues with my feet. My husband suggested that maybe because those trips were in colder weather.. January and February that could have been the reason. It was so blasted hot and humid in September and it did seem to have an adverse affect on me.
I would be curious to know if the hot humid weather could have indeed been a factor in my "feet" issues.

Next trip in January I am using all this advice and hoping for the best!!

I use icy hot at night and then put on a pair of socks... works great, especially since I just started working and am on my feet a lot. I do this at WDW when we are walking a lot as well.

At the end of long Disney days and nights, I use to suffer with blistered feet. I heard about Body Glide on the boards and I have been blister-free ever since! Every morning it's clean feet coated with Body Glide, clean comfy socks and nicely worn sneakers. I'm good for the day. If my feet are tired at the end of the day, a cool soak,peppermint lotion and Advil do the trick. I can handle tired feet, but blisters can ruin a trip.

I've got a new plan for this year. Even after starting a thread to get advice I made the biggest mistake ever and stayed out at EMH at MK until 1:00 am after getting off the plane. I was wearing traveling shoes, not walking ones. I blistered the heck out of myself before I even got started! :sad:

So, the biggest thing for this trip is to just not go for so long each day. I really don't need to spend 12 hours a day at the parks just because they're there. :blush: On my last trip, I really felt like I missed out on the fun they had at the resort--ASMu in my case. So, this time I managed to get a Little Mermaid room at AoA and I'm going to enjoy the resort and the activities there. I've got a day for just resting scheduled, though I doubt I'll be able to not do something :hyper:

My mother went to a podiatrist and I mooched some advice from him since he helped my mother's foot pain so much. He basically told me LSUfan's RICE plan plus a lot of the advice in here. His other big suggestion was to alternate footwear each day. It helps with swelling and blisters because different shoes put pressure in different places. I'm definitely going to try the compression socks. My aunt, a kindergarten teacher for 30+ years, swears by them. Also, doing the cold soak/warm epsom salt soak sounds like a great idea. (Plus getting myself a bit less Pooh-sized before the trip :thumbsup2)

(I'm going to put a note in here that Zappos.com is about the best way to get shoes ever--especially if you live in the middle of the middle of nowhere as I do. Free shipping both ways all the time. I was able to order several pair of shoes and return the ones I didn't care for.)

I swear by 2 pairs of broken in sneakers, white cotton socks, at night when I shower, I plug the drain to soak my feet, then rub in clear Desitin ointment. Have never had a blister with this plan!

I wear Keens, and that has basically solved my foot pain problem (proper arch support is the key). Keens NEVER give me blisters. Never, ever, even fresh out of the box. Would never wear gym shoes and socks - AACCK.

My feet still do get tired though so a cold soak is great. But the real winner when my feet really hurt (I used to do this before I found Keen shoes and had very painful bunions - used to wake me up in the night stabbing and throbbing), is Aspercreme. It's a pain relieving cream with basically aspirin in it. It's meant for arthritis pain. But works great on painful feet. At least it did on mine. Now that I wear Keens I haven't needed it in a long time.

This is gonna sound strange, but we always get into teh hot tib at night and let the jets hit our feet directly. And when we wake up in the morning, we feel refreshed and ready to go.

Blister Block as a preventative.
Several changes of socks.
Arnica cream at night (helps relieve soreness and swelling and bruising)

I haven't read every post here but the ones I have I totally agree with! I just wanted to add that if you have issues with foot (or even leg) cramps, drinking a small glass of tonic water every night before bed works a treat! I HATE tonic water but I will drink a few mouthfuls before bed at Disney to stop any cramps (I can get horrendous cramps in my toes that causes them all to curl underneath themselves except my second toe which sticks up in the air like some disturbing flagpole!!), it has quinine in it which is known to prevent cramps. I do this only at Disney as too much can cause serious health problems but my doctor was happy for me to take it for the duration of our stays in the World. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter