FASTPASS being added to many Epcot and Studios attractions

I like to go with the flow. The only thing I plan are park days and those are roughly around EMH and park hours but if I want to change it up the day of, I do. I look at these boards and think people who obsessively plan ADR's and things around parades and fireworks are waaaaay overdoing it, but if they have to plan rides too well that's just silly.

Now let's be honest folks. You do understand why they have fastpass machines to start with right? Disney doesn't make money while you stand in line. They don't want you to ever have to wait in line so you can go spend money somewhere else. A PP suggested there is a constant of ride capacity. Well, in theory the amount of people in the park is also a constant. FP + doesn't add any more people to the park, right? So, same capacity of rides available during the day, plus the same number of people in the park means the you ride the same amount as you did before. What is the goal then? That you waited less time in line to ride the same amount of rides.

I might wait to see the end product before concluding we need to plan our minute by minute itinerary 180 days in advance.

mom2rtk said:
No, Disney will absolutely not require you to use it.

But the same old standby option (the one with manageable waits at all but the busiest times of year) will not remain the same. For every FP slot they add to the FP load, that's one less standby person who gets through the line. Maximum ride capacity is a constant in this equation. (mostly).

But no one has said they're adding to the FP load. Well, except for the rides that don't currently have FP and don't need it anyway. But I can't see those being impacted much anyway. Anyway, my point is there are just too many unknown variables.

If you're going to have to regulate your entire day between ride reservations and ADRs, be careful when you ride It's A Small World -- nobody will be able to tell the guests from the dolls... :rolleyes1

I didn't say FP+ would be stupid, it's too early to come to that conclusion. Similarly, it's too early to assume it will be fabulous.
~I didn't read past page one, but my post was not in reference to you. It's not too early for me to feel that FP+ is fabulous, everything I've read about FP+ IS fabulous. It's time to move on (or not, apparently) the old FP didn't work out. People did not use FassPass within the allocated time window as intended. The reality was, everyday posters were on here complaining that some "rogue" CM didn't let them on an attraction after their time window expired, and it was becoming quite problematic and awkward for some guests and CM's. Let's not forget the national press release from Disney, it did not reflect kindly toward those of us who used FP's late, and that was NO mishap. :goodvibes

FPs at these attractions, with the already-noted exception of Fantasmic, is in my opinion dumb.
That's your opinion, but what's so great about this is that if you think FP+ is "dumb", you don't have to use it. :) I don't think FP+ is any "dumber" than having to make ADR's for every single TS restaurant 180 days out, yet everyone does it. I don't know exactly what I want to eat on each day, but I have no problem picking restaurants and I just go with the flow. If I don't make an ADR, I more than likely will not be able to dine at the restaurant of my choice. This is not the case with FP+, I don't HAVE to make advance reservations in order to ride an attraction, it's just an option, one that I look forward to using. :goodvibes

~I DO know that I want to ride all the mountains and the majority of attractions in all four parks. I don't go to Disney for the food, I go for the attractions so this makes sense to me. :goodvibes

~Again, Disney is not going to force everyone to make online reservations, so just don't use it. But, I *LOVE* the concept, and can't wait to hear more fabulous things about it! :yay: :goodvibes

I can't imagine that FP+ will work 180 days out. They will probably tie it to online check in or something. I think the bigger issue, is outside of MK, no other parks have more than 2 maybe 3 rides that need to have FP.

~I didn't read past page one, but my post was not in reference to you. It's not too early for me to feel that FP+ is fabulous, everything I've read about FP+ IS fabulous. It's time to move on (or not, apparently) the old FP didn't work out. People did not use FassPass within the allocated time window as intended. The reality was, everyday posters were on here complaining that some "rogue" CM didn't let them on an attraction after their time window expired, and it was becoming quite problematic and awkward for some guests and CM's. Let's not forget the national press release from Disney, it did not reflect kindly toward those of us who used FP's late, and that was NO mishap. :goodvibes

That's your opinion, but what's so great about this is that if you think FP+ is "dumb", you don't have to use it. :) I don't think FP+ is any "dumber" than having to make ADR's for every single TS restaurant 180 days out, yet everyone does it. I don't know exactly what I want to eat on each day, but I have no problem picking restaurants and I just go with the flow. If I don't make an ADR, I more than likely will not be able to dine at the restaurant of my choice. This is not the case with FP+, I don't HAVE to make advance reservations in order to ride an attraction, it's just an option, one that I look forward to using. :goodvibes

~I DO know that I want to ride all the mountains and the majority of attractions in all four parks. I don't go to Disney for the food, I go for the attractions so this makes sense to me. :goodvibes

~Again, Disney is not going to force everyone to make online reservations, so just don't use it. But, I *LOVE* the concept, and can't wait to hear more fabulous things about it! :yay: :goodvibes

Obviously you believe this system will improve your park experience based on your usual trip template (tickets and accommodations) to WDW and what you suppose FP+ to eventually be.

Based on my suppositions of FP+ and my typical trip template, my park experience--along with quite a few others, based solely on the responses in this thread--will possibly suffer.

I feel safe in assuming we will never see eye to eye on this.

:goodvibes

Guys, this is not about improving the park experience OR drawing people to other attractions

Disney's purpose is to gather information on how each guest tours with these new RFID chips. They don't just want to know when you ride the headliners, they want to also know how you fill your time between headliners

So in addition to getting scanners at lower traffic attractions, also expect to find scanners in resort pool areas, bathrooms, busses, monorails, restaurants, ...

Armed with information they will be able to target market and to build smarter - these should be positives

Unfortunately this could be at the expense of a well functioning FP system. A big negative

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I can't imagine that FP+ will work 180 days out. They will probably tie it to online check in or something. I think the bigger issue, is outside of MK, no other parks have more than 2 maybe 3 rides that need to have FP.

so does that mean FP+ is only for people staying on Disney property?:confused3

I had not considered or heard the possibility that FP+ and the current FP system would coexist. If that's the case, my only concerns would be similar to PPs about how this would affect overall wait times. I think it all depends on how many FP+ they would give out per ride per day, and whether these would be in addition to the regular FPs available or would reduce the number of regular FPs available. If the first, this could increase standby times. If the second, this would mean FPs would disappear for the most popular rides more quickly. Neither one is ideal, but both are better than FP+ completely replacing FP.

Guys, this is not about improving the park experience OR drawing people to other attractions

Disney's purpose is to gather information on how each guest tours with these new RFID chips. They don't just want to know when you ride the headliners, they want to also know how you fill your time between headliners

So in addition to getting scanners at lower traffic attractions, also expect to find scanners in resort pool areas, bathrooms, busses, monorails, restaurants, ...

Armed with information they will be able to target market and to build smarter - these should be positives

Unfortunately this could be at the expense of a well functioning FP system. A big negative

I think this is probably true. However, they can accomplish this by simply utilizing the RFID bracelets in place of paper tickets. Guests would not have to utilize FP+ for Disney to gather the info they want. The only exception to this would be knowing which people choose certain FPs. If they are really after this data, they will be sure FP+ is available to all guests, including local passholders. This would indicate that they would not require you to choose attractions for your FP+ before arriving in the park.

Couple of notes..

There has been nothing suggesting Universe of Energy is getting Fastpass or Fastpass+.

Energy and Circle of Life, however, will be the only attractions in Future World without Fastpass though - Innoventions not included (because seriously, who goes in there?)

As for Fantasmic - dinner packages have a reserved viewing area. I suspect that will be where the FP pool comes from and is seated. Wishes viewing during testing and the Illuminations viewing area for Chase Visa cardholders are not unlimited. There's no reason to think Fantasmic would simply fill the entire stadium with FP holders.

Another point that troubles me.. Where do they intend to put the Fastpass machines to distribute for this? I can't imagine Disney thinking it a good idea to offer Fastpass for Spaceship Earth and then telling day-guests that they can't get in that line without a hotel reservation.

In theory, a portion of reservations would be offered to hotel guests and the remainder given out throughout the day to anyone who wants them. The point of the system, as it has been explained to me, is to redistribute guests the same way A-B-C-D-E tickets did. The loss of the guest distribution to "weaker" attractions is something the entire industry has lamented. Guests used to only ride 8 rides in a day. Now with FP that number has gone up to like 9.5 on average. All those guests want to hit the headliners though - so Soarin and Test Track are jammed while Energy is a walk-on.

FP+ is supposed to allow people to choose 2 rides/shows/whatever per day in advance - but by forcing them to pick from two different groupings of attractions. For example. Space and Splash mountain are in the same group - so while you could grab both Space and Big Thunder, you can't get Space and Splash.. forcing people to spread out a bit.

There will probably be a lot of shuffling of offerings in the groups once the system goes live based on how people use the system. Early tests had a heavy emphasis on people choosing things that don't seem to gel with what "real guests" would choose. Lots of character meet/greets were chosen.. the same character meet/greets that have FP in the park (Mickey) but rarely have significant FP usage on a normal day. More time ticks by on that clock and FPs go unclaimed then you would imagine... but during testing people chose it like it was a hot commodity. I was amazed at the number of times people didn't pick a single mountain, the rides who have all their FP disappear in a normal day.

Which goes back to FP distribution. They either have to uninstall all the FP distribution points.. which is an odd thing to do considering they're still building them at rides-under-construction like Test Track.. or they have to put FP machines somewhere in the park. Either central locations where you can "choose" your FP's for the day (maybe all guests will be limited to 2 choices in a day now?) or at the individual attractions.

Anyone can vouch that Dumbo didn't need FP. Even on busy days it's barely used. But there it is, distributing from that tent, to the few people who bothered to get the ticket.

At the same time.. Enchanted Tales with Belle has a queue and signage for FP.. but no apparent distribution point. Mermaid uses the machines in front of Philharmagic and has already been testing with the system live. Belle has been open longer but never had machines anywhere or the option to actually claim the ticket.

It's very strange how this is playing out so far. Regardless, it looks like FP+ relies on the RFID tickets/wristbands.. and the RFID system doesn't get installed at the All Star and Pop Century resorts until late December. Suggesting them can't roll out the new system until January at the earliest. Which would also be their slowest season, making it a prime candidate to unleash this onto the world.

eeyoresnr said:
so does that mean FP+ is only for people staying on Disney property?:confused3

There is currently no evidence to suggest this. It's all just speculation.

While most, if not all of us don't know what the final product will consist of, based on testing that has been reported here, the basic premise will be allowing guests to "schedule" their fastpasses ahead of time.

Sorry, but I don't have any use for this. I hate 180 day ADR's(or whatever the date is), how people have to plan their whole vacations around them, and don't think I have ever had more than two on any trip.

This FP+ is just an extension of the ADR craziness.

Why not just have WDW tell me what to do each and every minute of my trip, and save me the trouble of doing it myself.

A PP suggested there is a constant of ride capacity. Well, in theory the amount of people in the park is also a constant. FP + doesn't add any more people to the park, right? So, same capacity of rides available during the day, plus the same number of people in the park means the you ride the same amount as you did before.

I do not agree with this. it depends on how you tour. The smart DisBoard veteran surely realizes that, while you are waiting for your FP time to come, you can see attractions that have plenty of capacity. Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Enchanted Tiki Room. Why not go on a forest trail in AK while you are waiting for your FP time for EE? You could see the entertainment at the parks, too. Those Streetmosphere characters in HS are great, as are the limbo dancers in AK, and the many performers in Epcot.

It is also mind boggling to me that Disney would spend 1+ BILLION dollars on this nextgen nonsense, while ignoring the fact that some of its WDW parks are desparetely crying out for new and/or updated attractions.

Re comparisons to ADRS (and again, I haven't been there yet, disclaimer)....this is nothing like ADRs.

IME planning this trip, ADRs were a pain to get and a pain to understand and figure out. But nice to have for some of the must-see restaurants.

Planning out when you are going to ride a 5-minute ride, beyond the actual visit day, is totally bananas and nothing like an ADR. Seriously, if I had to plan rides like ADRs that would have been my breaking point and I would have put the kibosh on this trip.

Disney really has to think about where they are going with this.

I think the person who said that they don't want you in lines, they want you walking around spending money is totally on the money (excuse the pun!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter