Family sues Disneyland, claims rabbit character is 'racist'

I think to sue Disney is a little extreme. The proper course of action IMO, is to have the employee answer for his/her actions. Give them a written warning or even fire them. It is awful for the family to have that happen to them but there us just better ways to handle it.

It's hard to say anything unless you were there. This is really one of those situations. This employee could have been discriminating against these children or the employee might have been trying to play with the kids and it just came off like a push. Plus, how well can you really see in those costumes. I have seen several characters accidentally back up into people and kids the 1000 times I have been to the park. Also, I wouldn't think that they have the best 360 view of everything around them and when they turn around it could seem like they are being rude and turning their back on someone. It should definitely be looked into and it seems like Disney is doing exactly that. Not much more they can do.

Lets see now.....

1. A person comes to work for Disney, at one of the hardest and hottest jobs in the parks.

2. The pay.......low.............benefits ok, if you get full time and most charaters actors are not full time.

3. Is a rasist and still takes the job knowing he will have to work with other people/children of various ethnic origins.

4. Does things intentionally that could be thought of as not wanting to be touched by children of other ethnic origins

Nope...........doesn't make any sense to me at all! These actions were a not as the African American family thought.

AKK

Really? The family name is Black? And, they were shunned by the White Rabbit?

I can't get past THAT aspect of the story. Maybe I'm immature..but, I can't be the only one.

brewcrew80 said:
Really? The family name is Black? And, they were shunned by the White Rabbit?

I can't get past THAT aspect of the story. Maybe I'm immature..but, I can't be the only one.

Nope I'm with ya

On a serious note this sounds like a family with no conscious suing a company with no conscious. A lose, lose.

With all due respect to any African American or Minority family who may read this, I have a very, very hard time that any Disney outlet would condone racism. I know for a fact that racial tolerance is discussed when training new employees. It is purely not in Disney's benefit to offend anyone who has green money to spend. So, if they have a Rogue Rabbit how much responsibility do they hare (I meant bare)?

The chance of this seeing a court room is one in 4 Billion.

A few bucks, an agreement the entire family (with each named) never returns to any WDW owned park. Funds released over a 10 to 25 year period. If violated, the settlement funds are subject to repayment. If they disagree allow them to go to court where they might lose the case and a counter lawsuit for defamation.

Will cost Iger Hors d'oeuvres during one Dinner Party. I worked for a company that was 1/100th the size of Disney and was amazed when I found out we had over 100 lawsuits going at any given moment. They were all trivial and why we had 4 dedicated Lawyers with dozens on contract.

My condolences to the family.

What about this?

The rivalry between the University of Alabama Crimson Tide and Auburn University Tigers is quite fierce in my state.

So...a few years ago, my dh and I were with my sister and BIL and kids and went into the Crystal Palace for dinner with Pooh and friends. Everything was great. All the characters were friendly, hugged the children, took pictures, etc. They all made the circle at least twice. However, Tigger obviously snubbed them. It wasn't part of an act. He would get to our table, look at us, and turn and walk away. Not knowing, we surmised that our Tigger was probably an Auburn student on the college program.

My sister was peeved. She spoke to the manager and was quite happy to get instant fastpasses for the whole group. That was the end of it!!!!!!

Disney employs a lot of people and can only control their behavior to a point. With that said, racism has had long term effects and should be treated with more sensitivity than other situations that would appear similar otherwise.

I would like to see the surveillance footage. I'll bet it tells the whole story.

My condolences to the family.

What about this?

The rivalry between the University of Alabama Crimson Tide and Auburn University Tigers is quite fierce in my state.

So...a few years ago, my dh and I were with my sister and BIL and kids and went into the Crystal Palace for dinner with Pooh and friends. Everything was great. All the characters were friendly, hugged the children, took pictures, etc. They all made the circle at least twice. However, Tigger obviously snubbed them. It wasn't part of an act. He would get to our table, look at us, and turn and walk away. Not knowing, we surmised that our Tigger was probably an Auburn student on the college program.

My sister was peeved. She spoke to the manager and was quite happy to get instant fastpasses for the whole group. That was the end of it!!!!!!

Disney employs a lot of people and can only control their behavior to a point. With that said, racism has had long term effects and should be treated with more sensitivity than other situations that would appear similar otherwise.

I worked there as a consultant many years ago. We wen't down to look at "our" computers under the Utilador. As we walked in there was this guy wearing a Goofy Suit with the head portion hanging on his right side.

The dude had 3 days growth of beard and was leaning against the wall totally out of it and half-sleeping. Our WDW "Handler" looked at me and said: "Be careful, that is the guy that walks up and hugs your kid!"

That said: 99% of their employees take their roll very seriously. WDW is way better then the average company in that respect. When you have 35 Million visitors - you will ultimately get some stories like this.

I worked there as a consultant many years ago. We wen't down to look at "our" computers under the Utilador. As we walked in there was this guy wearing a Goofy Suit with the head portion hanging on his right side.

The dude had 3 days growth of beard and was leaning against the wall totally out of it and half-sleeping. Our WDW "Handler" looked at me and said: "Be careful, that is the guy that walks up and hugs your kid!"

That said: 99% of their employees take their roll very seriously. WDW is way better then the average company in that respect. When you have 35 Million visitors - you will ultimately get some stories like this.

I'm sure that Disney can and does hire much worse than Dye Hard Auburn Fans! I'm pretty sure that IF Tigger dissed them because of football allegiance that he probably got told not to do that again.

so--- how many times are there characters at the parks without a formal line to take your turn to see them?. ..none that I know of... and how many times to you see small children who are "not so supervised" just walk up to the characters out of turn? ... many many times. I also would like to see the footage---

beer dave said:
so--- how many times are there characters at the parks without a formal line to take your turn to see them?. ..none that I know of... and how many times to you see small children who are "not so supervised" just walk up to the characters out of turn? ... many many times. I also would like to see the footage---

I was wondering about that...

The whole thing strikes me as a money grab. Using the term racist for what was described by the person filing the lawsuit seems over the top. One doesn't know the race of the person in the suit. Discriminatory maybe.
We don't have all the info. If the white rabbit said nasty stuff or mocked the kids in a racial way they might have a case. If there is surveillance footage, and the white rabbit is seen to be hugging kids of all races on the same day, it'll probably be bounced out of court. I'm sure the hope is that it will get settled out of court.
As mentioned above, the more plausible thing is that the kids in question may have been out of turn or not noticed. Who knows? It does seem a little odd, one would think that somebody else would have been snubbed that day, and would come forward if there was validity to the claim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter