• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family sues Disneyland, claims rabbit character is 'racist'

Anyone feel like summarizing the story? I can't bring myself to click on a link to faux news. Kinda afraid my computer will turn into an abacus.

the only thing with with story that makes me wonder........Is it true Disney offered them 500.00 and their signature to avoid press? If it is true, then Disney know exactly what happened and which leads me to believe its true. On the other hand if the family is wanting a pay out.....well that is something they are teaching their children to be ok. Like it or not disney is a business, and I am sure they are doing a cost analysis right now over negative press/

boreas154 said:
Anyone feel like summarizing the story? I can't bring myself to click on a link to faux news. Kinda afraid my computer will turn into an abacus.

Bwah ha ha.

A family- dark complexioned Mr and Mrs Black and children go to Disneyland. 6 year old tries to hug his favorite character, the White Rabbit, and bunny turns away. Brother tries to touch White Rabbit and bunny flicks him away. White Rabbit goes on to be cozier with lighter toned kids.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobil...-racist-family-sues-disneyland_n_2646634.html

Before clicking I thought this would be about Brer Rabbit, lol.

Thank God they didn't go on Splash Mountain and/or knew about Song of the South...

the only thing with with story that makes me wonder........Is it true Disney offered them 500.00 and their signature to avoid press? If it is true, then Disney know exactly what happened and which leads me to believe its true. On the other hand if the family is wanting a pay out.....well that is something they are teaching their children to be ok. Like it or not disney is a business, and I am sure they are doing a cost analysis right now over negative press/
A 500 dollar offer sounds like they knew there staff did no wrong, but figured it would be enough to get the family out of there hair. Probably cost disney $500 just to wake up there legal department on the weekend.

~Second family files lawsuit

~Oh no, not Donald Duck, too. :( I hope Disney gets a handle on this soon, it's becoming a PR nightmare! And, it's going to be more difficult to meet characters now, as a result. Disney needs to have a CM accompany each character with a hidden camera to record everything, to help curb these kinds of allegations.

~Second family files lawsuit

~Oh no, not Donald Duck, too. :( I hope Disney gets a handle on this soon, it's becoming a PR nightmare! And, it's going to be more difficult to meet characters now, as a result. Disney needs to have a CM accompany each character with a hidden camera to record everything, to help curb these kinds of allegations.

I agree. Now characters won't be roaming the parks now. I think it is ridiculous. A few years ago my DD was in tears because Pluto didn't see her and she thought he had ignored her. He went over to a bunch of other kids and took pictures with them. We just walked back over to Pluto and helped him see her. She is tiny and it is hard to see in those costumes. Should we have sued? Please.

Something is off about these 2 stories ... First family's name is Black ad the second is white..... What are the chances?? Lol and ways sad to see people still playin the race cards to gain things...

I mean no disrespect, but i find this a little hard to believe. It is VERY hard to see in those costumes! I have been "ignored" by a character before because they didn't see me at first and I'm 5'3! I agree that now I think there will be fewer characters roaming the parks. What a shame! :(

I was walking through the little trail between downtown disney and congress park late at night one trip ( you know the one-- the sign says do not use after dark) and was approached by a piglet character and 4 winnie the poohs. They surrounded me and kept making the hand jesture for "open the autograph book". Now when I look back, I think they wanted me to open my wallet. I didn't realize I was getting mugged by characters. Maybe I should report it.

I was walking through the little trail between downtown disney and congress park late at night one trip ( you know the one-- the sign says do not use after dark) and was approached by a piglet character and 4 winnie the poohs. They surrounded me and kept making the hand jesture for "open the autograph book". Now when I look back, I think they wanted me to open my wallet. I didn't realize I was getting mugged by characters. Maybe I should report it.

You really have to be kidding....what a joke!:crazy2:

AKK

Since it's the White Rabbit, he should at least have the option of having any litigation performed in the Courts of the Queen of Hearts!

Ridiculous, I can see the characters having a hard time seeing in those costumes. Can't believe this story or the copycat stories following it. I remember the story where a woman claimed she was hit in the head with a brick that fell off the castle. Dummy didn't know the castle was made of fiber glass not bricks. She brought her own brick in the park supposedly...Dope! Lol

SO many possibilities as to why it may have happened.

1- didn't see kids.
2- Kids cut line
3- Kids were obnoxious or parents were (we've all seen "guests" of all races act inappropriately
4- In another news report the father said he saw the character a few minutes later hugging "white" kids". Could have been one rabbit left (break time) and another reappeared. That has happend to us. (of course that was when character sightings were more random and not in a planned character area).
5- As far as the $500 which DIsney has not confirmed. It could have been tickets to come back since their day was ruined and the father put a 500 price on its value.

At least in the one article its said all the parents want is an apology and the EE terminated.. I'm glad they don't want any money just suing to make things right :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter