Family refuses to donate.

Why is it good karma before they die and bad karma after? It is their stuff one way or another.

sarah4770 said:
Because they are doing something in the here and now to help someone in need. That's how we help each other. You can't help someone from beyond.

Lol, tell that to all those people who benefit from endowments to colleges, charities, etc. if the stuff is donated now or then it still benefits someone. There is no difference. I can take a stack of stuff to the mission when I go to town today, or save the stack of a month when it is bigger. Benefits remain the same.

People bee to mind their own lives. There is always something more that can be done. Skip this years disney trip and buy a new stove for the shelter? I could. I'm not. I can look at the lives of anyone here looming down their nose and find a million ways THEY could do more.

I wasn't referring to endowments. What I was referring to is , as a previous poster in the thread was talking about, was something like baby socks. lol. For example, you see someone close to you having a baby, maybe a young couple just starting out, and you might have a crib, baby clothes, etc, that you have no use for just sitting at home, taking up space. I think people are put in our path for a reason. Not that you have to help everyone you know, but if you feel moved, then do it.
Endowments are wonderful. The few people I have known who were in a position to do something like that, also did good things for others while alive , too.

Because they are doing something in the here and now to help someone in need. That's how we help each other. You can't help someone from beyond.

Your stuff will be just as useful to someone whether you donate it while you are alive or if your heirs donate it to someone after they are dead, so yes, you can still help someone from beyond. Just my perspective.

Your stuff will be just as useful to someone whether you donate it while you are alive or if your heirs donate it to someone after they are dead, so yes, you can still help someone from beyond. Just my perspective.

Only if the items are still in any condition to donate after being stored for decades in a garage or attic.

I wasn't referring to endowments. What I was referring to is , as a previous poster in the thread was talking about, was something like baby socks. lol. For example, you see someone close to you having a baby, maybe a young couple just starting out, and you might have a crib, baby clothes, etc, that you have no use for just sitting at home, taking up space. I think people are put in our path for a reason. Not that you have to help everyone you know, but if you feel moved, then do it.
Endowments are wonderful. The few people I have known who were in a position to do something like that, also did good things for others while alive , too.

If you give your crib, baby clothes etc., to a young couple just starting out, then another young couple, who may need them in the future, won't get them. You won't have those things any more, to donate. You can't give them the baby socks, because you gave them away, in Dec. 2012!!

Just...donate what you can, when you want.

PS. Don't donate cribs.

Iforgetmypassword said:
If you give your crib, baby clothes etc., to a young couple just starting out, then another young couple, who may need them in the future, won't get them. You won't have those things any more, to donate. You can't give them the baby socks, because you gave them away, in Dec. 2012!!

Just...donate what you can, when you want.

PS. Don't donate cribs.

Exactly.

Unless those throwing stones are living in a box there is always someone to help. If your kids have 2 pairs of shoes one could be given away. And someone out there is giving that way a d can sit in judgment of you.

For people who take wildly expensive vacations it is pretty amazing to talk about having and giving.

Giving is personal. There are things I care about that I could give away. I choose to keep what I like. My business.

Lol, plenty of endowments are given by Hardee's and misers.

Only if the items are still in any condition to donate after being stored for decades in a garage or attic.

This.

My ILs have lived in the same house for 60 years. They still have every piece of clothing and every article of sporting equipment from their five boys, who are now in their 50s and 60s. MIL is now grudgingly starting to deal with a little of it.

At this point, it is sufficiently out of date and deteriorated to be worthless. Nobody will use 40 year old football pads. We take what she offers and throw it directly in the trash, because cleaning that house out when she dies will be a nightmare as it is, and it will fall on me and dh to do it.

Had she donated the clothing or equipment 40 years ago, somebody might have been able to actually use it.

I think it is amazing how many people think their opinion of another person's situation is more important than the person actually involved. If you don't want to deal with it don't. Pay someone else. Your kids will be saying be same stuff about you more than likely. I hope they see you with more kindly eyes.

I think it is amazing how many people think their opinion of another person's situation is more important than the person actually involved. If you don't want to deal with it don't. Pay someone else. Your kids will be saying be same stuff about you more than likely. I hope they see you with more kindly eyes.

Paying someone else is still having to deal with it. As for how their kids see them- younger generations tend to be less attached to 'stuff,' because it's always been plentiful in their lifetime.

Lol, then don't deal with it. Walk away. It isn't all about you. (General you)

My in laws are collectors. Their stuff their business. They helped their parents out, we will do the same for them and my kids can trash my stuff if they don't want it. It is only a big deal issue when people start witching about the behavior and choices of others.

It is so much easier to complain about other people than to just worry about your own stuff.

When I give stuff to friends or family, I say take what you need and either pass the rest on or throw it away. I don't ever expect anything back. But I only donate what I have no use for.

2girls4me said:
When I give stuff to friends or family, I say take what you need and either pass the rest on or throw it away. I don't ever expect anything back. But I only donate what I have no use for.

Same here. I trash a lot. I'm not one who thinks that a poor person wants my infants poop stained onesie. Ick. I ran a women's shelter and you wouldn't believe the nasty stuff passed our way and written off as charity.

:sad2: My personal favorite on this topic is people who have their used clothes out at garage sales trying to get a buck or 50 cents for a piece of clothing. I am like you OP, and don't understand it. It is much better to see the clothing go to a family in need. There are plenty out there who need help. We donate all of our clothing. (except stained of course!!) ;)

I got upset when I donated my Mom's gentle used, not name coughing at the local Salvation Army store for more then I paid for te coats and jackets. I would rather take it to local church bag sales that families in need can fill a bag, and church makes a few dollars.

I got upset when I donated my Mom's gentle used, not name coughing at the local Salvation Army store for more then I paid for te coats and jackets. I would rather take it to local church bag sales that families in need can fill a bag, and church makes a few dollars.

I don't understand the first sentence. "gentle used, not name coughing"? You donated for more than you paid? :confused3

:sad2: My personal favorite on this topic is people who have their used clothes out at garage sales trying to get a buck or 50 cents for a piece of clothing. I am like you OP, and don't understand it. It is much better to see the clothing go to a family in need. There are plenty out there who need help. We donate all of our clothing. (except stained of course!!) ;)

We do both, donate AND have gargle sales.
I have garage sales every 2 years or so. We have our home, as well as 2 lake cabins so we tend to accumulate furniture, decor, and bedding often. As I upgrade or change things at our homes.
I'm not trying to " make a buck" as I'm trying to get rid of our stuff! but, that doesnt make me a bad person just cuz i dont donate all the time!
Personally, here in my area the closest goodwill is an hour drive. It's a real hassle for me, to drive that distance with stuff. Especially when at times, it would of been several different trips just to get everything there.
Also, I rather enjoy getting ready and having garage sales. My mom and sister usually go in on it with things they don't need and are there to help.
I do donate in between quite often. Bags of clothing, shoes, and small household items.

I thought the comment was very rude, and judgemental....
I also think there are more things to worry about than if family members are donating or not.

its really nobody's business if your friend, family, or neighbor donates or not.
It's totally a personal preference!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter