Falling back on your friends Super Goofs September thread

Maura - Have fun with your XT at the gym!

Rich - Get better soon! A week of rest may actually do you good so don't let it get you down. Best of luck with RFTT.

Atlanta folks - I hope you are all doing well and have had no damage. One of my best friends lives there and has had some flooding in her yard but fortunately nothing worse. She said they had 10 inches of rain yesterday. Did anyone see the pictures of Six Flags Over Georgia being flooded? It was freaky seeing only the tops of the hills on their wooden coaster.

AFM, I just picked up a nasty stomach bug at a children's party this weekend. Three of us who went are down for the count. Needless to say I haven't worked out in a few days and this morning was the first time I could really eat much. But hey, I've lost four pounds in two days! The worst is over but I'm staying home today to make sure I don't spread it around work. I was supposed to have PT this morning and was hopefully going to be given the green light to start running again. My next appointment isn't until Friday but I don't think I'll be doing any exercise until Thursday or Friday anyway.

Take care everyone!

-steve

All the sick Goofs...feel better soon! This has been a terrible year for the flu/colds/stomach bugs etc.

Atlanta area Goofs...hope you don't have any damage with all the flooding and are safe.

Joanne...congrats on your relay, thats quite an accomplishment!

Everyone else...hope you are having a good week and can't wait to see some of you at RftT in 19 days!!

As for me, got out today and walked 4 miles. It was so hot at 8:30 this morning and I was soaked from head to toe but it felt good!! My work situation has gone from bad to worse. Just hoping to hold on a little while longer until we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully we are almost there.

Rich and Steve, hope you are both feeling better today. :goodvibes

Suzanne, so sorry about work. Also, sending you pixie dust. :wizard:

Ran three miles this morning, again with no walk breaks. It went OK, except I saw a snake in the road that I guess came from the creek that overflowed by my house on Monday. I DON'T LIKE SNAKES! :eek:

My house is OK. I was stressing Monday, but DH managed to get home safely from work. They closed two roads that lead to my neighborhood, but they are now both open. If it wasn't for the mud and debris you'd never know anything happened. It is amazing how fast the water receded back. The small creek by my neighborhood had turned into a raging river that quickly overtook the bridge and spilled over into a massive temporary lake. We walked over to it Monday night and took pictures. I was sad to hear last night that the neighborhood across the street about half the homes got flooded. We are so lucky the flooding spread out mostly in the other direction, but I really feel bad for them cause most people here don't have flood insurance. I've never seen anything like it!

School is still closed, although the sun is back out. I love the sun! My oldest daughter's math building ceiling caved in so she is now thinking she'll no longer have math. :lmao: I think the schools closed again today cause one elementary school in the county is still under water. They are having to relocate those poor little kids. So, we're safe and well, but unfortunately others were not so lucky.

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone!
We got very lucky up here in Forsyth County! The kids had a day off from school and by noon it was sunny and bright enough to go tubing in our "across the road" neighbors side yard. Mud tubing behind a four wheeler if you can imagine it.

My house had a tiny basement leak that will be very easily fixed. The tiny puddle is already gone. Our house is on a hill so we didn't even have a puddle in the yard. whew!

However, to get to our house you have to cross over Big Creek. The creek covered the road early monday morning and we were pretty much land locked in until last night. There is a back way in the crosses over a much smaller creek but it means going about 10 miles out of your way. Even that road was closed at dark on monday night - so when our neighbors house caught on fire, it took over 2 hours to get fire trucks to the house. It wasn't a big fire and people from the neighborhood got it out but still!

Shan - I hope you faired ok on Monday. Hopefully the worst is over and somehow we can dig out from all this muck and mud.

Hey Goofs,
I could use some pixie dust. I've got some nasty chest cold (and have for the last couple days). No fever or anything, but it is really cutting into my running. Normally, this would not be a huge deal, but (until I got sick), I had a really good chance of busting a PR at RFTT, but losing a key week of training at this point has really done wonders for my self-confidence.
Yikes! I hope you are feeling better! I suffered from bronchitis and sinusitus while I was training for Goofy last year and it was brutal. I ended up running only one training run over 16 miles and I walked 5 or 6 of those miles - 2 while drinking a hot cup of coffee. But come race day, I felt great and managed a PR inspite of the terrible training. Hang in there, get yourself well and think of this as an opportunity for muscle repair. Drink twice as much water as you think you should - it really does help.

Cecilia

Rich and Steve, hope you are both feeling better today. :goodvibes

...My oldest daughter's math building ceiling caved in so she is now thinking she'll no longer have math. :lmao:

1 math building
- 1 math building
-----------------
= 0 math for dd

Makes sense to me too! ;)

Shan & Cecilia - I'm glad you made it through with minimal damage and everything in your area gets back to normal as quickly as possible.

Suzanne - Sorry work has gotten worse. Hang in there and hopefully you can see that light at the end of the tunnel before long. Take care!

Rich - I hope you're resting and getting better quickly. :sick: I didn't think rest was in your vocabulary!

AFM, I'm feeling a lot better today. I thought I was over it last night but had another rough evening. I decided then to take another day off work and felt great after sleeping in a little. I rested some, caught up on some work from home and did some chores and then got that workout itch for the first time since Saturday and headed to the gym.

I got in 30 min of yoga, 30 min on the elliptical and thought I would try out the rowing machine for 30 minutes. I'll be back on track tomorrow with my spinning class then back to my PT on Friday for what had better be the okay for me to start running again.

I never thought I'd actually miss my treadmill but I know I'll be spending some quality time on it as I'll need to ease back into it and stay off the pavement for a while. We have some great dirt trails so I'll be curious to see when she says I can tackle those. I'd love to get out a few more times before the time change.

-steve

Steve- I tried out some CW-X tights for this relay race I did. They are compression type tights and the pair I purchased had extra knee support. It was like trying to put on a wet suit but everything felt great after the legs I had to run. I would suggest checking them out. They are a little pricey and flashy but I got a nice pair on clearance from Zappos. The CW-X website is neat to surf around in. Make sure you go by their size chart to get the correct fit.

Cecilia- I hope you took before and after pictures of the kids mud tubing!

AFM- I am going to do the Hollis Applefest as a relay with my DH. He is signed up to do the MCM with me and this will be his first event. The half was filled so the relay was the only option for us. I have graciously given him the second half of the relay (which is all hills- up hills!). He wants to run the whole thing- go for it!

Hope everyone else is feeling better- sickness and weatherwise. We are looking into an inhouse generator- no nightmares like last year with the ice storms.

Has anyone heard from Lisa?

Rich - I hope you're resting and getting better quickly. :sick: I didn't think rest was in your vocabulary!

It's in my vocabulary, I just don't use it much. I'm still trying to shake this (I hate chest colds!), so my runs are only 1.5-2 miles, and pretty slow. I'd be getting better faster, but only one of the kids is in school, so I still have to chase the other one around the house. This weekend won't be any better - big church fair, grandparents visiting, etc.

Sounds like you are on the mend. Good luck with the trail runs - I love running trails during the fall and winter.

I hope you Georgia Goofs are doing okay. I saw the pics and started gathering the animals, two by two, just in case.

Hi Goofs! :goodvibes

Joanne, thanks for asking about me. I am lurking. I just don't have much time to post right now. Work and sports are keeping me on the fly 24/7 these days. I am reading the Hollis relay portion of your post and going :lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2: okay :rolleyes1 Tell DH best of luck and don't look up works for me on the hills. Hollis was great, one of my fastests HMs but those hills are brutal. :scared1:

Cecilia and Shan, glad you faired well through the flooding. It looked pretty bad in some places. Thankfully just not your places! :flower3:

Rich, :wizard: I have had a cold too, thankfully not into my chest. Just really yucky feeling.

Suzanne, :hug: Soon to be in person. I hope work gets better.

Everyone else, yeah, I am still alive, though faintly holding onto my sanity. I am trying to get my runs in but if nothing else, walking with Leslie Sansone. It is depressing and disappointing but it is something right now. DD is full bore into field hockey season and DS started soccer. THey both have games on Saturdays which is making it hard for us to attend both. I have to go with DS because he cannot get his socks on over his shin guards and DD is needing no help. :rolleyes: I am so looking forward to WDW in just 15 short sleeps.I changed my air so I can get there earlier on Friday. Just another half day in the world to look forward to!

Everyone take care and know that I am here lurking in the shadows. Kind of creepy I know but it's the best I can do for now!

Lisa- 14 days to go!

Updated the spreadsheet this AM.

Getting ready for the Applefest tomorrow! Poor DH- he has no idea what is in store for him!

Just had to share my good news...I got a job today!!

Angie - congrats on the job! :woohoo:

Lisa - hope you have fun in WDW, sounds like it is getting close! :yay:

I ran a BRUTAL five miler today. I can't believe I even managed a 12:00 pace. My face was blood red and it felt like 100 out there to me for some reason today. I tried to run it all, but ended up walking often. I guess I should have just planned on a R3/W1, but DH wants us to run all of TOT 13K. I'm feeling doubtful... Really, I just looked at my plan and I've got an easy week next week, then a seven miler and that is my last LR before the race. Gosh, I don't feel prepared! :confused3

Hope everyone has a nice and DRY weekend! :grouphug:

Angie Congratulations! I'm so glad that you found something. I hope it works out well for you.

Shan Remember, races are always better than training--why, I have no clue. But don't stress too much and just do your training for the next few weeks.

AFM---I need to go to the gym and do my tempo run. Didn't do it yesterday since I had my colonoscopy (which went fine-the prep, on the other hand--yech!)

10 on tap for me Sunday. Getting excited about RFTT in just two weeks!

Maura

Angie - congrats on the job.

Shan - sometimes, training runs just stink. Not sure why, but even my worst race can't match my worst training runs. I'm sure that you'll be fine for ToT.

Maura - good luck at RFTT. Not sure I can make the meet-up on Saturday (got a grand gathering style family dinner at FW that night), but I may well see you on the course.

Still congested - I could probably fake my way through a 10k right now, but I'd be disappointed in my time. My legs feel fine, I'm just sucking wind whenever I get going. Today is better than yesterday, etc, so hopefully I can do an easy cruise run by Monday.

Just got back from the Hollis Applefest. We did the relay and finished in 2:09! This was DH first event and he kicked butt! I did 6.55 miles- I'll dounle check my time with the Garmin and post later.
Joanne

Well, I'll run today, but it's not going to be pretty. Official diagnosis is bronchitis (but really, I ran yesterday without meds, I'll run today as well), but hopefully the antibiotics and inhaler make a difference soon.

Hey Goofs, Happy Sunday!!

Rich, :wizard:for your bronchitis. Play it smart unlike some other people on the team...:rolleyes1 Yeah, I'm talking about me.

Angie, :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Joanne, glad to hear that DH beat those hills! How did he like it? The racing part I mean, not the hills? Nice job both of you. :cheer2:

Shan, hang in there, some runs just bite. That's all there it to it. I have had a lot of them lately too. Just remember that you CAN run the whole thing fast or slow, you CAN do it. Proving it to yourself is half the battle and then talking yourself into it is the other half...:rolleyes:

Maura, 12 sleeps, popcorn::

Everyone else...:flower3:

As for me, it's a gloomy cold rainy start to a new week. I did some soul searching yesterday and decided to just stop having my pity party and get over myself and do what I love...RUN... And so it rains today. :mad: I checked the Accuweather 15 day forecast and it says rain every day we are in WDW so, I will run in the rain today. I bought a new running rain jacket at the NB tent sale and this is a great time to test it. You know, before I pack it...:sad2: My bags are packed, my ducks are in a row for the weekend and I am ready to go...NOW...

Nine miles today and I will get it done!!

Rich Feel better (sorta sounds like an order, huh!);)

Joanne Congrats on your great relay result

Lisa Hope your 9 goes well.

I did 10 today and felt sorta sluggish, but got it done. Going back and forth on running with a watch/running without, which matches my whole outlook on trying to just finish the marathon versus going for something big. Of course, how much control I have over the actual race is doubtful!

My recovery drink today was a chocolate milk shake made with my own homemade vanilla bean ice cream....yum!

Maura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter