Fairy GodMAW Grants Princess Bella's WISH! Update 12/2 - One more sleep til Disney!

Our first Wish Trip day will be relatively simple. :goodvibes t's a day I have planned for travel only. Because we extended our trip by 3 days so as NOT to feel rushed, I have no plans to try and cram a park in even though we arrive relatively early.

We depart from Milwaukee at 7:30 AM. and we live about an hour from the airport. What does this mean? :confused3 Well, I'll tell you what it means. I am likely not going to be getting any sleep the night before! :eek: I am certain I will be up packing until at least midnight, probably later. We need to get the kids up at 4:00 and leave by 4:30. I will be too nervous and excited to get to sleep so I plan to take a nap in the afternoon the day before and sleep on the plane (hopefully the girls will too!).

I need to figure out if we are checking bags and how many. We are flying Midwest (do they still bake chocolate chip cookies on board? :cloud9:mmmmmmmmm.....) and I'm still trying to sort through the garble and figure out how much they are going to charge me to check bags. One statement reads:
Baggage allowance for tickets purchased on or after September 1, 2009 for travel November 3, 2009 and beyond:

and another statement reads this:

Baggage allowance for tickets purchased through August 31, 2009 for travel October 1, 2009 and beyond:

I think our tickets were likely purchased before August 31st. If that's the case, the charge will be:
$15 each way (nonstop or connect) for the first piece of checked baggage.
$25 each way (nonstop or connect) for the second piece of checked baggage
$100 each way (nonstop or connect) for each piece exceeding the second.

If we check bags, it will likely be 2, maybe 3 of them. They would each be on a different ticket so the total would be $45 (each way) at the most.

Fortunately, I won't be checking any antlers for this trip:lmao:
$100 each way (nonstop or connect) for antlers.

So where were we? Ah yes, I am budgeting $100 for checked baggage, as a "just in case."

We have a nonstop flight:cool1: to Orlando on and arrive at 11:05. Grandma Chari will be arriving from Indianapolis via Cleveland at 11:10. After we meet our GKTW greeter, we will pick up our rental car. I have no idea how this process works, but I am certain our greeter will be able to send us in the right direction. :hippie:

I plan on checking into GKTW and then taking a little time to eat lunch before we unload the luggage. We'll bring snacks for the plane, but nobody will eat a real breakfast that morning including Bella. I debated feeding her on the plane, but last time we flew, security made me throw her milk out and she vomited on the plane:headache:. Plus, I plan on napping, remember?

After lunch, one adult will take a shopping trip to Wal-Mart (note to self: make a shopping list to expedite trip), another adult will unpack the luggage, and another adult (woo hoo for Grandma coming along!!) will take the kids to do something fun at GKTW. At some point, I know that one of us will also need to attend an orientation. However, I have no idea what time that will be.

Once we've eaten, unpacked, shopped, and explored GKTW, it will be CHRISTMASTIME!!!! Unless the schedule has changed - anyone been there recently and know if the schedule has changed? - Thursday night is Christmas at GKTW. The fun starts at 6:30 so we'll have time to grab a bite to eat before we get to see Santa! This is the schedule of events for Thursday evening:
• Winter Wonderland from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the Avenue of Angels and the Castle of Miracles
• Carriage Rides from 6:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m.
• Winter Wonderland Parade at 7:45 p.m. on the Avenue of Angels
• Santa Claus in Julie’s Safari Theatre from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

It appears that most of the GKTW activities end at 8:30. By that time, I'm sure we will all be exhausted and ready to turn in. I will need to feed Bella at least one more time after "Christmas" and then we will all be headed off to bed!

Am I missing any important "things to do" on our first day?

Would it make more sense to shop after the kids go to sleep?

Former GKTW guests, how does the Bedtime Story thing work? It is something you usually do just once? Would it be a good surprise for the first evening or should I wait until later on in the trip?

UP NEXT: DAY 2 - UNIVERSAL STUIDOS/ ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE - DESPERATELY GOING TO NEED HELP!
[COLOR]

We haven't stayed at GKTW (yet) so I can't help you on the schedules there. Maroo or a recent Wish tripper can probably chime in. I've heard that your fridge might have some food or drinks in it, if it does you can just cross those items off your shopping list.

I'm going to bring my antlers to Florida in March, thanks for letting me know what I will be charged! LOLOL :lmao: That is too funny!:rotfl:

I think with the early morning travel, not going to a park is a good idea. You can explore and maybe the kids will take a nap (probably not:laughing:) This way everyone can be refreshed for day 2.

We haven't stayed at GKTW (yet) so I can't help you on the schedules there. Maroo or a recent Wish tripper can probably chime in. I've heard that your fridge might have some food or drinks in it, if it does you can just cross those items off your shopping list.

I'm going to bring my antlers to Florida in March, thanks for letting me know what I will be charged! LOLOL :lmao: That is too funny!:rotfl:

I think with the early morning travel, not going to a park is a good idea. You can explore and maybe the kids will take a nap (probably not:laughing:) This way everyone can be refreshed for day 2.

I'm glad you put (yet) in there. Juliana deserves a Wish Trip princess:

Thanks for the tip. I will have to check the fridge before sending our shopper on his/her shopping trip.

And I'm happy to assist you with your traveling antlers issue. Just tryin' to be helpful :lmao:

Day 2 plans are coming up soon.

I am a little behind in reading. I have a word of caution with pink paint. I know that it will cost a little more, but buy the paint with the primer already in it. I painted my daughter's room a basic pink color. The room had light khaki walls. It took 4 coats of paint! :scared1: When I painted our living room a few weeks later and painted it a bleached denim color it took one coat to cover the originally red walls. The pink room ended up taking 2 gallons of paint and 4 coats while the larger living room took one coat and about 3/4 gallon of paint. They tried to explain the transparencies of pink paint to me at the paint store when I purchased the second gallon and I just wish someone had done this prior to me purchasing the first gallon. I know that her room will look amazing! princess:

I am here! I am here!

I love that your DD is going to get a Princess Bedroom, too! What a great post Disney surprise!!

Don't tell anyone...but I paint murals. In my free time.

I wish I had some pictures of the ones I have done...maybe I can find one.

I did a castle once - but it was all Care Bears.

Now I really don't have much time to do it and the church I go to now meets in a school...so there is not much opportunity for me to paint pictures on the walls.

I will be glad to go over your plans with you at any time!

Ok...some thoughts...

1. Don't let the TSA agent make you throw out her food. Tell them it is her medication - that she does not eat regular food - and ask for a supervisor before they make you throw it out. :sad2: Then you will be able to feed her whenever it is convenient to you guys.

2. Christmas at GKTW is wonderful. The only advice I have for you there is to make sure and see Santa first - that line gets long.

3. Orientation is usually at either 3ish or 7ish. I would hope they would let you go at 3ish so that you would not miss Christmas...:( Not sure how they handle that??

4. Tucking in by Mayor Clayton is something you have to sign up for. If it was me...I would have them do it the very last night...that way they won't want him to come each night. (Merry Clayton also does it, I believe.) But that is just me. I think they only do it once and you sign up for a specific day and time.

What did you decide for a send off party?

I just found your TR and devoured it!! What an exciting trip to be taking, and it's soooo close now. I hope it's okay if I hop on board for the ride at this late date!!

I am a little behind in reading. I have a word of caution with pink paint. I know that it will cost a little more, but buy the paint with the primer already in it. I painted my daughter's room a basic pink color. The room had light khaki walls. It took 4 coats of paint! :scared1: When I painted our living room a few weeks later and painted it a bleached denim color it took one coat to cover the originally red walls. The pink room ended up taking 2 gallons of paint and 4 coats while the larger living room took one coat and about 3/4 gallon of paint. They tried to explain the transparencies of pink paint to me at the paint store when I purchased the second gallon and I just wish someone had done this prior to me purchasing the first gallon. I know that her room will look amazing! princess:

Thanks for the tip on the paint. Right now Bella's walls have not changed a bit since the day we brought her home from the hospital. They look like this:
RegenImage.aspx

I hadn't even thought about a primer but now that you mention it, I am certain we would run into issues if I didn't. I plan on the walls being painted light pink - it would probably take several gallons if I don't use a primer. I'm adding it to my shopping list right now.

I am here! I am here!

Woo Hoo! It's great to have you here! :cool1:

I love that your DD is going to get a Princess Bedroom, too! What a great post Disney surprise!!

Don't tell anyone...but I paint murals. In my free time.

I wish I had some pictures of the ones I have done...maybe I can find one.

I did a castle once - but it was all Care Bears.

Now I really don't have much time to do it and the church I go to now meets in a school...so there is not much opportunity for me to paint pictures on the walls.

I have some exciting news about the makeover plans coming up in my next chapter.

I had no idea that you painted murals! I would love to see some of your work, especially the Care Bears castle - it sounds adorable! I admire you talent! Painting is something I can only do when there are either little numbers telling me what to paint which color or if there is water and q-tips involved! :rotfl2:

I will be glad to go over your plans with you at any time!

Ok...some thoughts...

1. Don't let the TSA agent make you throw out her food. Tell them it is her medication - that she does not eat regular food - and ask for a supervisor before they make you throw it out. :sad2: Then you will be able to feed her whenever it is convenient to you guys.

I usually have no issues with TSA and Bella's food but this last time, I think it was in Seattle, they insisted I throw her milk away. I had one still sealed container of whole milk (a half pint) and 1 box (like a juice box) of formula. I tried to protest but decided it was futile and not worth the time.

If we feed Bella on the plane, there is always the risk of vomiting. It's not a given, but it happens occasionally. We also run the risk of a difficult meal which could disrupt other passengers and embarass Bella and me. I'll discuss it with DH, but I personally think life would be easier if we just plan on NOT feeding Bella until lunchtime. I will, of course, offer her gluten free snacks and a beverage if she wants it.

2. Christmas at GKTW is wonderful. The only advice I have for you there is to make sure and see Santa first - that line gets long.

Santa First - check! Thanks for the tip.

3. Orientation is usually at either 3ish or 7ish. I would hope they would let you go at 3ish so that you would not miss Christmas...:( Not sure how they handle that??

The 3ish sounds perfect. I would have enough time to eat, get unpacked, and then head to orientation! I may pencil that into our plans. Hopefully I won't have to miss Christmas for orientation!

4. Tucking in by Mayor Clayton is something you have to sign up for. If it was me...I would have them do it the very last night...that way they won't want him to come each night. (Merry Clayton also does it, I believe.) But that is just me. I think they only do it once and you sign up for a specific day and time.

I will definitely schedule that in or our last evening at GKTW. What a perfect way to punctuate our stay there!

What did you decide for a send off party?

Our Wish Granter was going to make some phone calls after DH spoke to her on Friday. We have definitely narrowed it down to bowling or pizza though. I think I may call her this afternoon - right after my daily call to the dining reservations line!

I just found your TR and devoured it!! What an exciting trip to be taking, and it's soooo close now. I hope it's okay if I hop on board for the ride at this late date!!

Absolutely! Welcome,:welcome: and I hope you enjoy the ride! Thanks for 'devouring' the PTR - I hope it was tasty! :rotfl:

Well today I really ought to be :laundy: but instead, I'm :surfweb:. No worries - it has been my experience that the laundry won't grow legs and run away. (I Wish!) It can wait another day!

DAY 2 - US/IOA DETAILS

I anticipate spending much of my second day with my nose buried in a map. :sad2: Day 2 is slated for Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. I haven't been to US since I was a young child and therefore know absolutely nothing about this park. MIL has been to US/IOA several times while visiting my DBIL(lives in Orlando). However, she's never been there with young kids. I feel like I'm flying blind at this one and REALLY need some direction from my dedicated readers out there - PLEASE! We will be spending a total of 2 full days at this (or is it these? is that considered one park or two?) park(s). Oh geez - I'm confused already! Anyway, here goes:

Day 2 - Friday, December 4th

Eat Breakfast at GKTW

8:30-9:15 AM Universal Studios Characters at GKTW in the Castle of Miracles

Park Hours - Universal Studios 9-6 Islands of Adventure 9-5

Lunch at US/IOA - no reservations

Afternoon Snack at US/IOA

7:30-8:30 Pirates and Princesses Party with Shamu and Friends at GKTW Avenue of the Angels

Late Dinner at GKTW

Should I try and do US one day and IOA on our second day? vice versa?

Are there any suggested touring plans for US/IOA?

Meal plan? I read something about a meal plan at US/IOA. Has anyone purchased this and was it worth it?

Food suggestions? Where is the good food at US/IOA? Are there any 'MUST HAVE' snacks and/or foods like Dole Whips at WDW?

Apparently US/IOA Christmas stuff starts on Dec 5th! Not a problem for us though as we will be returning for one more day and enjoy the Christmas "stuff" then.

In US/IOA advertising, I have caught glimpses of Shrek, Cat in the Hat, and ET. These are all of interest to my DDs but I have no idea if these are rides, shows, or something else.

I think at this point, I'll consider myself lucky if we are even able to find the entrance!

BACK UP WISH PLANS PIXIE DUST

This morning after the kids got off to school, my friend Wendy came over to take a look at Bella's room. Wendy paints murals for a living. They are really, really good. She has done murals for preschools, churches, and even the high school play. Here is some of her work:

7531_1177134711729_1328945279_30631565_6980326_n.jpg

like WOWOWOWOW!! right?

and this -
4889_1114969957649_1328945279_30434170_3462136_n.jpg

Gorgeous!!!

and here's another one -
4889_1114974837771_1328945279_30434191_1004575_n.jpg

That's Wendy in the photo. Super duper talented.

So where was I? :confused3 Ah yes, Wendy, at my house, taking a look at Bella's room. Wendy knows our history with Bella. Her DD9 has been on my DD8's soccer team for a couple of years now. Also, her DD5 Ellie and my DD5 Bella went to preschool together and are good friends. They play soccer together and are both in kindergarten, but in different classes. So long story short, Wendy knows us pretty well, knows Bella's history, and knows why this trip is so special for our family.

During a soccer practice a few weeks ago, I told Wendy of my plans to give Bella a princess makeover while we were gone for her Wish trip. I asked Wendy what she thought it would cost to have her create a castle mural on one wall of Bella's room. She estimated it would be anywhere from $150 to $300 depending on the size. I knew that Bella's room is relatively small, so I was hoping for the lower end of the price range.

Wendy (politely able to ignore the mess that is Bella's room) and I took a look at Bella's wall and discussed what I had in mind. I told her I was envisioned a Cinderella(ish) type castle on one wall. Wendy inquired as to colors, size of the castle, etc. She suggested the castle be perched on a hill as well as a "Bella" princess nearby. It sounded perfect! I could practically picture it in my mind. :cloud9:

Then we discussed cost. I must admit I was a little nervous here. If it was out of my price range, I was going to have a difficult time saying "no thanks." I knew that I couldn't pay over $200, and even that was stretching it, but I knew it would be worth every penny. And then, as I could practically see the pixie dust floating in the air, raining down on my head (or maybe it was dust particles? :rotfl: - guess I need to clean in there more often) Wendy said "as for cost . . . . . .

are you on the edge of your seat yet?

Wait

for

it

" . . . . the priceless look on Bella's face when she sees her room would be payment enough!" My eyes began to water. "If you could just take a picture of Bella when she gets home and sees her room, that's all I ask!" Now the tears were flowing. Pixie dust! :tinker:It was all I could think of. We are so blessed to have wonderful friends.

UP NEXT - DAY 3 PLANS - EPCOT, CANDLELIGHT PROCESSIONAL, and MAYOR CLAYTON'S BIRTHDAY PARTY

oh yay.....I found you.

I'm trying to find the PTR's of all those who so quickly made me feel welcome to travel along (and learn) from your pre-trip adventures. Seems yours might take some time to get through but I'm up for the challenge:)

I did get to read the last few posts and.....how exciting about the mural! What a talent your friend is. It'll be just beautiful and I'm sure Bella will be beside herself with excitement. Now when you are flying home and feeling a wee bit bummed about it being 'all over' you'll have something extra special to keep you on the edge of your seat (of course with Xmas just around the corner it'd be hard to get too bummed out anyway).

Pamela:santa:

Matty's Wish Trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

oh yay.....I found you.

I'm trying to find the PTR's of all those who so quickly made me feel welcome to travel along (and learn) from your pre-trip adventures. Seems yours might take some time to get through but I'm up for the challenge:)

I did get to read the last few posts and.....how exciting about the mural! What a talent your friend is. It'll be just beautiful and I'm sure Bella will be beside herself with excitement. Now when you are flying home and feeling a wee bit bummed about it being 'all over' you'll have something extra special to keep you on the edge of your seat (of course with Xmas just around the corner it'd be hard to get too bummed out anyway).

Pamela:santa:

Matty's Wish Trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

:welcome:I think there's a term for that. PDD - Post Disney Depression, or more specifically, PDWTD - post Disney Wish Trip depression which is like - a MILLION times worse than the regular PDD. You are correct though - it will give us a good reason to look forward to coming home instead of dreading the PDWTD. We also plan on taking the girls to see the Princess and the Frog on the day after we return. It officially comes out that week. And then there is Christmas too . . . I think we'll be okay!

Those are some awesome murals! How generous of Wendy! That is so nice that she is willing to do it.

OK just like GKTW, I can't give you any advice about US or IOA. We have never been there. I'm starting to slack in the helpfulness department.:sad2:

But coming home knowing that Bella still has some surprises in store is going to be a great feeling! :goodvibes

I think this qualifies as my first "official" purchase for this trip. I found these on e bay's Deal of the Day. Disney Princess Pajamas for $5!!! and it gets better - FREE SHIPPING! They had them in all 3 girls sizes - matchy matchy pajama time! :woohoo:

H4916G0068M

And I'm not sure if this qualifies as a 'purchase' or not but we have now reserved our rental car for the extended portion of our trip. It's with Advantage - we've never used them before, but a car is a car, right? - and the price is the best we've seen. $18.70 per day for a midsize. Total with taxes is $82.54 for 3 days. Not too shabby!

We are still considering a hotel vs. staying with Uncle TJ for the trip. I'm leaning more towards hotel because there are 6 of us (including DGma). TJ has a 1 bedroom apartment - it would be a tight squeeze, especially for 3 nights! I will continue searching - I heard rumor of $29/night near disney!

Ok...

I am officially bawling!

:sad:

I can't believe she is going to do it for FREE!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

And she is SOOOOOOO talented!

Are you my facebook friend? I think I have pictures of murals on there?

I don't even have a picture of the castle one! :eek: I know...long story there! But I do have some. :)

Those are some awesome murals! How generous of Wendy! That is so nice that she is willing to do it.

OK just like GKTW, I can't give you any advice about US or IOA. We have never been there. I'm starting to slack in the helpfulness department.:sad2:

But coming home knowing that Bella still has some surprises in store is going to be a great feeling! :goodvibes

Not to worry Tim, I'll be picking your brain tomorrow when I post Day 3. So study up on your Epcot and ready your typing fingers . . .
Ok...

I am officially bawling!

:sad:

I can't believe she is going to do it for FREE!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

And she is SOOOOOOO talented!

Are you my facebook friend? I think I have pictures of murals on there?

I don't even have a picture of the castle one! :eek: I know...long story there! But I do have some. :)

I get teary everytime I tell someone else about it. I am going to get a gift certificate for Wendy from Domani, a spa/salon in town. Whatever the price is for a manicure there. Wendy told me that the rest of this week she is painting a mural for the high school play. A GIANT castle for the Princess and the Mattress. She said her hands ached from all the work she was doing and the idea of a manicure gift cert. came to mind as an appropriate Thank You gift for her.

This isn't the one she's working on now, but a background she did for Fiddler on the Roof.
4889_1114973797745_1328945279_30434187_2164564_n.jpg

I am your friend on facebook but I didn't see any mural pictures on your page :confused3 Might they be somewhere else? I'd love to see your work!

Wow! I can't believe that Bella's wall mural will be made with love! That is awesome! You also got a great deal on PJs! It sounds as if your plans are moving along smoothly! :cheer2:

That is amazing! What a wonderful generous friend!! I can't wait to see the finished product. :lovestruc

Wow! I can't believe that Bella's wall mural will be made with love! That is awesome! You also got a great deal on PJs! It sounds as if your plans are moving along smoothly! :cheer2:
Made with love :love: so true and so wonderful!
those murals are incredible. how lucky to have such a talented and generous friend. enjoy
She has a true and rare talent. We really are lucky!
That is amazing! What a wonderful generous friend!! I can't wait to see the finished product. :lovestruc
I have visions of princess bedrooms dancing in my head and have been shopping online all day for accessories.

I am your friend on facebook but I didn't see any mural pictures on your page :confused3 Might they be somewhere else? I'd love to see your work![/COLOR]

I found one picture...I think the rest are on my old computer - maybe even 2 computers ago??

But here is one of them from the church nursery. It is one of the first ones I did.

IMG_0410.jpg

How awesome Wendy is to do that for you and Bella! I can't wait to see pics in your trip report *hint hint..lol*. I know nothing about US or IOA either, but I give great moral support..lol.

Maroo...how talented you are! I'm just going to import you to VA for Chrissi and I (okay, couldn't do that to Lauren or Rachel, but it would be wonderful.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter