Extra Person Charge

vadad

Earning My Ears
My wife and 18mo old dd wil be going to disney soon and my mil may come with us if she can get off of work. We have ressies in a double room at POR. If she comes and stays in our room, I understand there is a $15/day extra person charge, or $90 over 6 nights. I don;t want to rip disney off, but it seems that I am paying for the two beds, and my wife and I will only be using one (DD sleeps in a pack and play), so why should we be charged the extra money? Do they check this?? Would it be a problem at EE if my MIL is not registered as a guest in our room? How do they check at the EE admission if you are a resort guest or not? Do you just show them a room key or how do they do it?? I know I run the risk of sounding cheap, but we are on a strict budget and need all the help we can get!!!!

To take advantage of the Extra Magic Hour for resort guests, you must have a resort key card to show at the park. The cast member cannot give a key card to anyone who is not registered in a room. Therefore, your MIL would have to be registered to be allowed to take advantage of Extra Magic Hour.

Disney is not the only company to charge for more than two adult guests in a room. Most hotel companies charge this fee.

Just say on the reservation you have another child. That way you will get enough towels/keys. Don't have granny stand next to you when you check in. I agree with you. It is none of Disney's business how many adults are in the room. It is not like it costs them more because of this adult. You have already paid for the room. Disney has been paid sufficiently.

Don't mention it ahead of time. But when she goes to check in state that you have an extra adult and see if they charge. That way you have done the right thing and she can have a room key.

As LadyLT stated, Disney is not the only company to charge for extra adults in the rooms. Two years ago when I went on my girls only trip we added one more at the last minute. I called CRO to let them know. The CM told me to just let them know when we check-in. We did this and were not charged.

She IS using things that your room rate pays for. Transportation, the pools and other recreation opportunities, towels, hot water for showers, etc.

It is standard in the hospitality industry to charge an extra adult fee. I think that $15 per night is reasonable. I think it's really wrong to "sneak" someone in, transportation is scheduled based on resort load, and if 50 rooms each had an extra person "snuck" into them, that's basically a bus load.

If the budget is that tight, why not ask MIL to cough up the $90. Seems like a pretty cheap WDW trip to me!

Anne

Originally posted by safetymom
Don't mention it ahead of time. But when she goes to check in state that you have an extra adult and see if they charge. That way you have done the right thing and she can have a room key.

That's what I would do especially if you're not sure if she's going. Sometimes will waive the fee at check-in. :D

This summer they checked everyone's resort ID's at MGM EE day. I'm not sure about the other parks.

I don't get the extra charge for an adult either, but I've always registered properly. Children up to age 17 can stay free so it makes no sense. If I bring my niece whose 15 no extra charge. If I bring my mom as a third adult, an extra charge applies.

A child uses transportation, towels just like an adult. They have to sit. A child also gets a room key if you want. Mine have had them. You have everything you need for ee day. They key does not state "child". It is just a key. Also they want a key for the party, not each person. I never carry a key and have never had a problem getting into early entry at a park. I just state I am with him. Disney is not that big of jerks that they let your family minus you in just because they all had keys not you.

I recently stayed at AKL. Originally there were just two of us and that is what the reservation was for. When my dau decided to go, I called to have her added to the reservation. When I checked in, they still had us down for two. I explained that I had another adult with us. They added her, we got an extra key for her, and we were not charged for it.
In my experience, it's pretty standard to be charged for a third adult for a hotel room.

Originally posted by faithfull
A child uses transportation, towels just like an adult. They have to sit. A child also gets a room key if you want. Mine have had them. You have everything you need for ee day. They key does not state "child". It is just a key.

Disney keys most certainly DO state Adult or Child on them. If you have ever had a Disney key, you should know that. If you have one around your house, go look at it. Each card printed by the machine will list Adult or Child and be numbered sequentially. The computer will not print more cards than there are people registered in the room. And the computer does not default to let a child have a key to the room. Most child's cards are just souvenirs, unless it is a package and then it has the child't park passes on it. The cast member can "tell" the computer to make a child's card into a key. And a cast member at the gate of a park can read the cards/keys to see that a person trying to get in for Extra Magic Hour is a registered guest.

Are your keys "all inclusive passes"? My keys do not state child on them but they are keys not passes. We have passes for the theme park that are separate. I do have keys and they do not state child.

I just checked my room keys from the past few years. They all say ADULT on them, even the ones my teenagers had. These were just room keys, no passses as we are AP holders.

Did you pay extra to make your teen an adult? I have taken my mother in law and never had a problem getting her a key or with early entry. I have never paid an extra fee to get her a regular key.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter