Experiment-627: A Caribbean Double with a Wilderness Chaser

I'd definitely be interested in links to those MP3s if you have them posted somewhere.

The information on the fort at St. Augustine was great. It made for a very good lunch time read. We've seen signs for the fort when driving down, and I've always thought it would be a neat place to see but we usually wind up stopping at the historic St. Augustine outlet malls instead. :confused3

The information about fort design was really interesting.

Nice job on the Castillo de San Marcos report! My DS and I were just there in May and had a great time exploring it. It was kind of funny to see all the similar pictures we took! I remember taking a shot of the flags hanging inside and thinking "Hey, here's a unique one..." :rotfl2:

Thanks! I suspect that most folk’s pictures of the fort are very similar. I try to look at things from different angles and perspectives, but I’d really need to be able to spend more then a couple of hours on site (and several trips back would probably be better).

Did you get to see the Old Town at all? Some neat little buildings here and there. But the fort is definitely the highlight.

I’ve seen it before, but that was a l-o-n-g time back. We’d loved to have spent a more time in St. Augie but this time around it was just a quick side trip. I’m going to make an effort to stop a various places on the way down from now on (if we can get out of the house early enough) so more exploration of Old Town is on the list. I suppose that I could also hit other stops on the way home as well, but that would mean having to leave Disney earlier on the last day of a trip (and that probable ain’t goin'a happen).

I'd definitely be interested in links to those MP3s if you have them posted somewhere.

Glade to oblige! I’ll see if I can’t dig those up for you when I get back to the house this evening and I’ll post them back here.

The information on the fort at St. Augustine was great. It made for a very good lunch time read. We've seen signs for the fort when driving down, and I've always thought it would be a neat place to see but we usually wind up stopping at the historic St. Augustine outlet malls instead. :confused3

The information about fort design was really interesting.

Thanks. I rather like the kind of stuff that put most folks directly to sleep back when we were in school. How we got to be who we are is pretty fascinating. The trick is to find a way to sneak actual facts into a sentence that is otherwise masquerading as entertainment. All the better teachers I ever encountered understood that and were the ones that made the lasting impressions.

We also hit the outlet malls on the way back out to the highway. We looked through the Disney Outlet in particular in hopes of finding anything interesting that we might be able to enjoy on the ship, but alas… despite the amount of inventory, there really wasn’t any “there” there. Nothing really stood out as being worth having.

Bonus Feature 4:

Blow That Horn

00SC01.jpg

I had a request to share the recordings I had of the various ship’s horn calls that can currently be heard aboard the Disney Dream.

Share I can… so share I shall.
Just click on the links below to download each horn call.

When You Wish Upon a Star (1st Phrase)
http://www.mediafire.com/?a5o9oqrke0wkce8

When You Wish Upon a Star (2nd Phrase)
http://www.mediafire.com/?xis9i5flnsniaor

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
http://www.mediafire.com/?rgt8a28avcwa11u

Yo Ho Yo Ho (A Pirates Life For Me)
http://www.mediafire.com/?y23ilkkqzq8jh4w

Be Our Guest
http://www.mediafire.com/?2tkxq5ac2lfqbga

Hi Diddle De De (An Actors Life For Me)
http://www.mediafire.com/?7wr6k4sbtvhg6q5

It’s a Small World
http://www.mediafire.com/?d912666qwo5uqxz

Bonus Feature 5:

Vexillology

It’s time for a left turn into Bonus Feature Land. As I’ve done in the past, I am now giving you fair warning that what is about to transpire within the confines of this post has nothing to do with Disney (or even our 2011 trip for that mater). However, I have also posted the last section of our traveling day right below this one, so you can just scroll on down and pick back up on the relevant action with no farther loss of life, limb or sanity. Why do I do this? Can’t really say. I guess I’m just trying to get some of this useless junk out of my head. Y’all just happen to be in the line of fire, and I do apologize for that, but then again, it’s why I certainly don’t mind if you move on.

For those that have foolishly chosen to stay with me here on today’s episode of “You Bet Your Life”… the secret word for the day is: Vexillology.

Which-a-what-a-ology?

Vexillology (and before you say it… it’s not the study of things that piss you off). The inspiration for this diversion into my broken thought process can be found prominently toward the end of the previous TR installment. Specifically… these two pictures right here:

D0-338.jpg

D0-339.jpg

Vexillology is derived from the Latin word “vexillum”, meaning 'flag', and flags are one of the many, many unforgivably nerdy things that fascinate me. Color, symbolism, imagery, history, controversy… flags have a lot of things going for them. It’s really amazing to think that a piece of cloth can raise so much passion and fervor that folks will come to blows over them. The subject can easily grow into encyclopedic scales so for the sake of relative brevity, I’ll try to limit the discussion to the banners that you see in my inspiration photos. But first (and you’d expect no less from me) a little bit of background.

A vexillum was a flag-like object used in the Classical Era of the Roman Empire. The word is itself is a diminutive of “velum” which means: sail, and as such, these “vexilla” were quite literally "little sails".

B5-001.jpg

These bits of cloth were draped from a horizontal crossbar suspended from a staff. The rod was usually toped with a finial and adorned with other important objects as well (often pertaining to past battles and campaigns). The vexillum were the symbolic representations of individual Roman army units and for that reason they were treasured objects and were closely defended at all times. This form of symbolism was adopted by other military orders over time, but the banners themselves are now normally fastened to the side of a pole and allowed to flutter freely. These symbols also led to the development of Heraldry in the Middle Ages as a method of identifying families, individuals and allegiances. Heraldic rules and principals are also the driving force behind the design of most modern flags.

Well… That’s enough history for now, so how about a little bit of terminology. The little representation below gives you a quick understanding of most of the descriptive terms used in the flag world.

B5-002.jpg

The “hoist is the edge nearest the pole, and the “fly” is the edge farthest out. The “canton” is the upper left corner and is generally considered a position of honor. Any additional symbols that appear on a flag are called either a “badge” or a “blazon” (both heraldic terms) and their positioning is often highly symbolic.

Now then… back to the Castillo. It is said that the Castillo de San Marcos has served under five flags and those are the ones that I’m going to focus on here. So… why are there actually six flags in the photographs? Well the Park Service has chosen to display both the first and the last versions of the US flag to be used while the fort was an actual military installation. I’ll discuss those at length later on, but it’s better to start at the beginning. So here we go…

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Cruz de Borgoña
(“The Cross of Burgundy”)

B5-003.jpg

As Spaniards built the fort, it follows that their flag was the first to fly over it (and actually still does so to this day).

B5-003a.jpg

The Burgundy Cross is based on the heraldic coat of arms used by Philip I, Duke of Burgundy. The X-shaped cross symbolized the rough branches of the trees on which Saint Andrew (the patron saint of Burgundy among other places) was crucified. In 1516 the duke’s son ascended to the thorn of Spain and became Charles I of Spain. At that time Charles adopted the arms of his family as a national standard. Versions of this flag were used primarily aboard Spanish ships and came to represent Spanish rule in Florida until the mid 1700s. Ultimately, it would be replaced not for political reasons, but for practical ones (but I’ll get into that more a little later on).

The Union Flag

B5-004.jpg

As part of the treaty resolving the “Seven Years War”, Britain gained all of Spanish Florida in exchange for returning Havana and Manila to Spain. When they took control of the Castillo in 1763, The Union Flag was the symbol on the empire. This flag is actually mad up of two older separate flags laid on top of each other. The Cross of St. George (patron saint of England) used in combination with the Blue and white Scottish Cross of St. Andrew.

B5-005.jpg

If you’ve ever seen the current flag use by the UK (which is likely), then as you look at the Union flag, you’ll probably notice that it seems like something is missing. You’d also be correct n that feeling. After Ireland was added to the United Kingdom in the early nineteenth century, the Red Cross of St Patrick was added to the Union Jack and supplies it’s modern appearance.

B5-006.jpg

La Bandera de España

B5-007.jpg

The treaty that ended the American Revolution also ended the British tenure at the Castillo, and in 1784 Spanish troops returned to St Augustine. But a year later they would lower the Burgundy Cross for the last time and raised a very different flag over the fort. Charles III chose a new Spanish national flag in 1785. Partly as a break form past royal houses, and partly for a more practical reason. Specifically: for ease of recognition at a distance. This is actually no small detail. When you are trying to identify a ship or a group of solders trough the lens of a telescope, and the basic design of the flag used by both your enemy and yourself happens to be a reddish cross dominating a white field, you’ve got a potential problem. The new national colors of Spain immediately separated it from the other major powers. This basic design has remained in use as the symbol of España since then, but it would not be the last colors to fly over the fortress.

The 23 Star Banner

B5-008.jpg

This was the flag of the land when the United States took control of Florida in early 1821. As such, it’s the first American flag to fly over the Castillo. Being as this flag represents my home (and is one of the most recognized on Earth), I’m going to spend a bit more time on it.

When the American Revolution began, the new nation did not have an official flag of any type. This is the kind of thing that now gets thought out even before actual conflicts arise, but for the folks in Philadelphia, this detail just didn’t make it up to the top of the list. For military people however… this kind of thing is crucial. Banners identify individual units, mark where the leadership can be found, and provide for pride and heightened moral amongst the regular troops. Early on, General Washington used a blue flag with thirteen stars to represent his headquarters.

B5-009.jpg

At about that same time, American seaman needed a flag to identify themselves as well (especially since flying no flag would get your ship attacked by friend and foe alike as a pirate vessel or worse yet a spy ship). They chose to alter a striped flag that was in use at the time by the Dutch East India Company (but was never flown outside of the Indian Ocean). There were a number of versions of this striped flag in use, but for obvious reasons, the one chosen was cut down to thirteen stripes and then emblazoned with a snake (taken from a popular political drawing from the time).

B5-010.jpg

Sometimes called the “Rebellious Strips, sometimes called the “Culpepper Flag”, it’s most common name is taken from the phrase embroidered along the bottom; “Don’t Tread On Me”

So now you’d think that arriving at the actual US flag was just simply a matter of mashing these two examples together. Well… not quite. There was another major influence to be considered first. This one:

B5-011.jpg

The “White Ensign” is probably the most famous flag in recorded history. It is the symbol of the Royal Navy and therefore the most recognized symbol of British power. It has also wielded great influence on many other flag designs through out the world (empires will do things like that). When the Continental Congress finally got around to designing a flag for the fledgling nation, they actually started with this one. They left the “Union Jack” in the canton to represent our heritage as being primarily English. But they replaced the rest with the rebellious stripes (less the snake).

B5-012.jpg

Know as the “Grand Union”, this is the first official national banner. There was also another practical reason for this design. All you had to do to make one was to acquire a White Ensign (and they were quite common), and then just sew on additional red stripes. It was only later on as calls for a complete break with Mother England continued to rise, when the thirteen stars favored by Washington’s armies would replace the Union.

The First National

B5-013.jpg

It is impossible to deal with US history and ignore the Civil War. Our founding would leave us no choice but to fight it later and in truth it still affects our culture today. The new government in Richmond chose a pattern of the first flag of the American Confederacy (without a formal vote) in March 1861 just prior to the start of the actual conflict. This direct variation on the US flag was affectionately referred to as The "Stars and Bars", but ironically it would not receive it official name until after the decision to replace it. The development of the confederate flag and its ramifications is also a fascinating subject, but only the First National ever flew over St. Augustine, so I’ll save that story for another time. The US Army pulled out of Florida once the state succeeded in early 1861, but Union forces retook the Castillo in March of 1862. Confederate forces pulled out of the area when they received word that US Navy ships were entering the bay. Specifically, the USS Wabash:

B5-014.jpg

(You had to know that I’d find a way to squeeze a picture of a ship into this post somewhere)

Local leaders had no choice but to surrender in order to preserve the town. Fort Marion would remain in Union hands and serve as a prison for the rest of the conflict.

The 45 Star Banner

B5-015.jpg

When the Castillo returned to US Army control in 1862, there were 34 stars in the canton. By the end of the conflict there’d be 35 and only a few months later it would rise again to 36. When the fort was finally decommissioned for the last time there were 45 stars nestled within the union field and that is the sixth flag on display at the Castillo.

The rules for adding stars to the Flag of the United States are fairly straightforward. Once a territory is accepted into the union, a star is officially added to the flag on the following 4th of July. Depending on when a state was accepted the wait for its star could be anywhere from a few days to nearly a year. This trick of the calendar has created some fairly rare versions of the flag. A good example of this occurred in 1959 when Alaska entered the union on January 3rd (prior to the 4th) and Hawaii on August 21st. As a result the 26th version of our national flag contained 49 stars and was flown for only one year.

B5-016.jpg

If you ever see a photograph with that bad boy fluttering in the breeze, you can date it very specifically. There’s a bit of trivia that you can win a bet with or tuck into your next spy novel as a major clue. The 27th and current version of our national standard has been flying since July 4th, 1960, longer then any other variant in US history.

For most of our flag’s history there were no precise rules governing the arrangement of the stars within the canton. This has lead to some interesting variations on the theme, but in general, an arrangement of rows and columns as evenly spaced as possible has been the excepted rule. Since 1912 however, (with the establishment of the 48 star flag), the star arrangement has been part of the same executive order that would establish each new version. In fact, there is already an official arrangement of stars waiting in the wings just in case one of our territories decides to join the union (or California, Washington, Pennsylvania or Florida finally decide to break into multiple states). If one of these events ever occurs, then on the next Independence Day, we’ll not just be grilling burgers; drinking beer and setting off fireworks… we’ll also be raising a glass in honor of a new flag. And it’ll very likely look like this:

B5-017.jpg

Chapter 3: The Hook

Part 5: Welcome to the Rad​

We… well, more correctly… I… could easily have stayed around the Castillo a good bit longer. But, it was getting late and we did have other fish to fry (and had I left a couple of filets in a skillet setting on the dashboard, they’d have been well done by time we got back to the car). Once we let the A/C run at full blast for a few minutes, the car was one again safe for human occupancy and we started backtracking toward the interstate.

On the way the decision was made to stop at the outlet shops along the frontage road. We’d long heard tales about a mythical Disney Outlet in this location and wanted to see if there was any truth to the rumor. I’m glad to report that in this case, the rumormongers are correct… the thing does exist (I’ve seen it). I will also say that this shop certainly had a lot more to choose from then I can find in the outlet near where I live. The prices weren’t too bad either (comparatively). That being said, we just didn’t run across anything that any of us felt compelled to spend a buck on. Ehhhh… win some… loose some.

With the outlets explored… we jumper back onto Ol’ Number 95 and continued the journey southward. A bit of rain was encountered (I’d have been stunned if that weren’t the case), but no other serious traffic or driving problems materialized the rest of the evening.

D03-501.jpg

Being as we’ve traveled this path many times before (and almost always heading toward the same destination), actually driving past the exit leading to I-4 was a rather jarring experience. It was almost like we were heading off into uncharted territory.

Here Thar be Dragons!

D03-502.jpg

We made one more stop a little bit farther down the way for some dinner and then succeeded in hitting the round a bout onto FL-528 just as the sun was setting.

D03-503.jpg

Across the Indian River inlet onto Merritt Island and then over the Banana River inlet onto The Cape itself

D03-504.jpg

We’re here! We’re here! The final destination for the day: the Radisson at Port Canaveral. This is a nice place. It’s close to the terminals and they offer long-term parking and shuttle services for cruisers. The rooms are in excellent condition as well. Our room also boasted an interesting feature… “Sleep Number” beds. Don’t know if you’ve ever encountered these contraptions, but the idea is that you can adjust the “firmness” of the mattress to suite you. I thought they were a bit strange (especially if you happen to sit down on one that is set to a very soft setting). Structurally, it’s kind’a like stuffing an air mattress into a regular one, but they slept well enough. As for the rest of the hotel, it is meticulously maintained and a joy to walk around. The pool is themed as well as anything at Disney and there are other amenities to keep you busy if you plan to stay a while. On this trip we were basically just spending the night, but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t take a pile of pictures. I figured that y’all would at least like to take a gander at the place, and the better images serve to remind me of several reasons to return (and I will be back here for longer stays…on that… you can count). So anyway… in so much as I did take the pictures (and being as pictures are generally the main point of a TR in the first place) I’ll now be inflicting them on y’all (with limited commercial interruption). So here we go…

D03-505.jpg

D03-506.jpg

D03-507.jpg

D03-508.jpg

D03-509.jpg

D03-510.jpg

D03-511.jpg

D03-512.jpg

D03-513.jpg

D03-514.jpg

D03-515.jpg

D03-516.jpg

D03-517.jpg

D03-518.jpg

D03-519.jpg

Nice place ‘eh? Y’all just keep flipping through those for a bit while I get started on the next chapter
(remember… tomorrow is sailing day).

A1-011.jpg

the secret word for the day is: Vexillology.
So is this like Pee-Wee's playhouse where we're supposed to scream real loud whenever you say that word?:confused3

Vexillology (and before you say it… it’s not the study of things that piss you off).
I kind of like that definition though. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

But, it was getting late and we did have other fish to fry (and had I left a couple of filets in a skillet setting on the dashboard, they’d have been well done by time we got back to the car).
Yeah, but there aren't enough rearview mirror Christmas tree air fresheners in the world to take care of the after effects.:rolleyes1

the thing does exist (I’ve seen it).
Pictures or it didn't happen. (though for all I know it might be inside of one of those red X's that I'm seeing here from work):lmao:

So is this like Pee-Wee's playhouse where we're supposed to scream real loud whenever you say that word?:confused3

Wooooow… I am old! :eek:

We officially have encountered one of them there generation gap thingies. I was originally thinking of a game show that was hosted by Groucho Marx (it was recorded in the 50s but I saw it on reruns in the early 70s). I get the PeeWee reference, but honestly, I’ve never seen that show. All that being said… I like the idea, so feel free to holler out every time you see the word Vexillology (no more often then you’ll run across it in normal conversation, I think we’re all safe going with that one :rolleyes:).

I thought you might.

Yeah, but there aren't enough rearview mirror Christmas tree air fresheners in the world to take care of the after effects.:rolleyes1

Good point. I think I’ll leave that actual experiment for the “reporters” on one of the Fluffy Newscasts. :lmao:

Pictures or it didn't happen. (though for all I know it might be inside of one of those red X's that I'm seeing here from work):lmao:

Big Red X Syndrome (I hate fire walls)
nope… didn’t think to take a snap of that. Which means that it has returned to mythical status. :3dglasses

But I tell ya’… I done seen it. Here now, just wait a second while I take my shirt off and put a baseball cap on backward… now where was I… Oh yah… It was right over yonder there and there was a sasquatch standing right out in front of it, and as we was a leavin’ I saw these bright shiny disk like things just a floating directly over the building… and… and… and… then they were gone! Hay, somebody throw me a beer out of the cooler! Like I was sayin’… I mean just like that… they just shot straight up and I know there ain’t no airplane, can do stuff like that, so they had to be from New Mexico or some other place that’s in outer space. Oh, and they stomped this really crazy design into the grass on there at the edged of the parking lot… like… like… like those crop circle things that they got’s goin’ on over thar in England. Yah… it was just like that an’ ya’ know that you can trust me on this one, cause I don’t believe nothing unless’n one a my buddies reads it to me out of the Enquirer ya’ know...

Wooooow… I am old! :eek:

We officially have encountered one of them there generation gap thingies. I was originally thinking of a game show that was hosted by Groucho Marx (it was recorded in the 50s but I saw it on reruns in the early 70s). I get the PeeWee reference, but honestly, I’ve never seen that show. All that being said… I like the idea, so feel free to holler out every time you see the word Vexillology (no more often then you’ll run across it in normal conversation, I think we’re all safe going with that one :rolleyes:).
:lmao::rotfl2: Sorry. That was required weekly viewing for me every Saturday morning from probably the mid-80's to early 90's. Definitely in there between your formative years and Max's.

I thought it was a great show when I was probably between the ages of 5 - 10. I haven't seen it since so it may be annoying and excruciatingly painful to watch now that I'm grown up for all I know. Then again, cheesy puns and gags still do make me laugh.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

But I tell ya’… I done seen it. Here now, just wait a second while I take my shirt off and put a baseball cap on backward… now where was I… Oh yah… It was right over yonder there and there was a sasquatch standing right out in front of it, and as we was a leavin’ I saw these bright shiny disk like things just a floating directly over the building… and… and… and… then they were gone! Hay, somebody throw me a beer out of the cooler! Like I was sayin’… I mean just like that… they just shot straight up and I know there ain’t no airplane, can do stuff like that, so they had to be from New Mexico or some other place that’s in outer space. Oh, and they stomped this really crazy design into the grass on there at the edged of the parking lot… like… like… like those crop circle things that they got’s goin’ on over thar in England. Yah… it was just like that an’ ya’ know that you can trust me on this one, cause I don’t believe nothing unless’n one a my buddies reads it to me out of the Enquirer ya’ know...
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:
Not to go OT on you, but this reminded me of a show I saw on Shark Week last week. "When Fish Attack 3." These guys caught a Black Tip shark and were taking turns getting pictures with it. This guy has his shirt off, a beer in one hand and just picks the shark up by the tail with the other hand. Being that a shark can bend almost in half, I don't think I need to explain what happened next. :lmao::rotfl2:

Oh, the entertainment that can be provided by those who don't think.

That pool area at the Radisson looks very nice. I can see how that would be a great spot to hole up for the night.

I can also see how it would feel really, really weird not to take that I-4 exit!

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes said:
Vexillology (and before you say it… it’s not the study of things that piss you off).

Me too! :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Then again, cheesy puns and gags still do make me laugh.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I knew you were reading Barry's TR for a reason. :thumbsup2

:lmao::rotfl2: Sorry. That was required weekly viewing for me every Saturday morning from probably the mid-80's to early 90's. Definitely in there between your formative years and Max's.

I thought it was a great show when I was probably between the ages of 5 - 10. I haven't seen it since so it may be annoying and excruciatingly painful to watch now that I'm grown up for all I know. Then again, cheesy puns and gags still do make me laugh.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Not a problem. I’m reminded of my ever expanding vintage on a regular basis. Like I said, I liked your reference; I just didn’t get there naturally. As for the things I watched on Saturday morning… Ugh! Some of that dreck is beyond unwatchable when viewed through adult eyes. It’s no wonder that my dad would walk through the living room on those mornings, stop for just a moment to see what we were staring at, then shake his head and silently walk out of the room. I sure it was the same look I gave Max as he was watching Pokemon :sad2:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:
Not to go OT on you, but this reminded me of a show I saw on Shark Week last week. "When Fish Attack 3." These guys caught a Black Tip shark and were taking turns getting pictures with it. This guy has his shirt off, a beer in one hand and just picks the shark up by the tail with the other hand. Being that a shark can bend almost in half, I don't think I need to explain what happened next. :lmao::rotfl2:

Oh, the entertainment that can be provided by those who don't think.

Cool! My neighbors made the cut! I knew that there was a film crew knocking on the doors around here, but they got so many “Hay y’all… watch this” type stories, that they said they couldn’t use them all. I’ll have to go down the street and congratulate them. :rolleyes:

Actually, that story reminds me of one I herd from Jeff Foxworthy about a beaver biting off some guys nipple. :lmao:

I can also see how it would feel really, really weird not to take that I-4 exit!

It was a true Twilight Zone moment. :scared1:

I sent that one in to Webster, but I ain’t heard back from them yet (I think they’re ignoring me).
:rolleyes1

I knew you were reading Barry's TR for a reason. :thumbsup2

You’d expect less from DisDad TRs? Useless off topic info from mine, really “cheesy” puns form Barry’s; seems to me that those are major qualifications for be a DisDad in the first place. :lmao:

You’d expect less from DisDad TRs? Useless off topic info from mine, really “cheesy” puns form Barry’s; seems to me that those are major qualifications for be a DisDad in the first place. :lmao:

Well, I figured the puns were Barry's domain. None of the rest of us would ever stoop so low as to put stupid jokes in our TR's. :rolleyes1

Oh, who am I kidding? Wherever you can find a DisDad, stupid jokes won't be far behind. :thumbsup2

Well, I figured the puns were Barry's domain. None of the rest of us would ever stoop so low as to put stupid jokes in our TR's. :rolleyes1

Oh, who am I kidding? Wherever you can find a DisDad, stupid jokes won't be far behind. :thumbsup2

Can I get an amen form the choir?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Actually, that story reminds me of one I herd from Jeff Foxworthy about a beaver biting off some guys nipple. :lmao:
That is a classic!:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: And it made me think of it too.:thumbsup2

Seems to be the case.

None of the rest of us would ever stoop so low as to put stupid jokes in our TR's. :rolleyes1
Absolutely not! And then there are some who can't come up with their own material and have to use lines from movies instead. :rolleyes1

::yes::

Can I get an amen form the choir?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
AMEN!

Hey, did I hear my name?

Running short on time (dang work), motivation (dang work) and general will to do anything but stare at my wall until quitting time today (dang...well, I'm sure you can guess).

Anyway, I loved the Vexillology lesson. Fascinating stuff. :thumbsup2

And wouldn't you guess - I just checked the website for the Radisson for the night before our cruise in October. No rooms available. :(

Well, back to staring at the wall. Only 63 more minutes to go.

You'd have to be truly desperate to reach that low.

I’ve got desperate on speed dial, so… I’ll not be picking too hard.

Hey, did I hear my name?

I don’t know… Hay! Did one of y’all call Barry? Oh…
It appears that we did. Thanks for checking in

Running short on time (dang work), motivation (dang work) and general will to do anything but stare at my wall until quitting time today (dang...well, I'm sure you can guess).

Work?

Anyway, I loved the Vexillology lesson. Fascinating stuff. :thumbsup2

Thanks, I was really expecting other things to be thrown at me for that one but I’ll certainly take the kind words instead.

And wouldn't you guess - I just checked the website for the Radisson for the night before our cruise in October. No rooms available. :(

Aw shucks. Well there is also a Residence Inn that’s a little bit closer to the terminal. There are a good number of folks that stay there as well. I don’t have a review on it, but I bet you can find one on the DCL forum.

Howdy folks… :wave2:

sorry I’ve been away so long but life has a tendency to get in the way of a good time. Anyway, I do have one update finally ready (although I was hopping for two). I’ll go ahead and post that in just a minute. Y’all go ahead and sharpen your daggers and I’ll be expecting your best sarcasm and pot shots in the near. I‘ll try to catch up and get a bit more of this posted in a few days.

Chapter 4: The Tale - Day 1 (Sunday)

Part 1: Shuttle Launch​

D4-101.jpg

Noooooooo… not that shuttle. Although we almost had the opportunity to see one of those launches from the decks of Disney Magic in 2009. The weather however, decided to interfere and we were all the way to Mexico before they actually got the shot off. “Missed it by that… much.” Those things may have been built by the lowest bidder, but now they’ve all been sold off to the highest bidders, so a true “shuttle launch” is a site we won’t be seeing in the future. Too bad… but then again, a dissertation on the shuttle program might just be more entertaining then anything I’ll be writing about.

:scratchin: Hummmmm…

Naaaaaaa… I’ve already abused y’all enough with my previous pointless ramblings so I’ll save that tangent for another time. Anyway, the shuttle I’m actually on about is just as bus like but considerably less technologically advanced. To be precise, we’re talking about one of these little joy rides:

D4-102.jpg

Catching a lift on the bigger one would be… shall we say… “exciting” for any passenger (to say the least), but even this humble mode of conveyance can offer excitement (depending on the destination involved).

OK, let me back up just a bit so that I can lay the proper groundwork. In so much as we had driven down to Port Canaveral, we were in need of a place to store the car for a bit and a ride over to the terminal on sailing day. There is onsite parking at the port but I wouldn’t call it a bargain. Now at “The Rad” however, there was a bargain to be had. Stay one night, and you could leave you car in their long-term lot for free and… they offered a shuttle service to the terminals for a nominal fee. Well I certainly needed a place to stay the night anyway, so how can you loose? (By the way… it’s no longer free, but it’s still a better deal then on site.)

Anyway… The morning of the 26th has finally arrived. “It’s Showtime!”

I was up early (as usual) so I took the opportunity to move the car over to the long-term lot…

D4-103.jpg

Stay!… Good car.

…and then made a quick trip around the Radisson for a few pictures. Here’s the first thing I saw that certainly wasn’t there the night before.

D4-104.jpg

Is that our Fräulein? Nope. That’s the “Freedom of the Seas”… a very fine RCCL ship, but not our destination (this time anyway). So I moved down a bit and got as high as I could and saw this:

D4-105.jpg

Dang… same ship… but wait! What’s that in the background just ahead of the Freedom’s funnel? No, no… not the seagulls… that red thing in the distance. Those things!

D4-106.jpg

THAT’S’ HER! All I can see is the tops of her funnels and the main mast, but She’s here! Were finally going… really! I hustled back to the room and found that the rest of the clan was just a about ready to get movin’. We hauled the bags down to the lobby and ran smack dab into a veritable sea of humanity all awaiting their chariots to whisk them away. Another thing I saw (and was not expecting at all) was a whole bunch of different folks spread across the room wearing tee-shirts adorned with variations of these little images:

aaa01f.jpg

aaa01h2.jpg

Now those are actually a couple of bit of nonsense that I whipped up with the possible intention of using as door magnets. But then a request showed up on our DIS Cruise-Meet thread asking if any one could design something that could be used as our sailing group’s logo. I submitted them and for some odd reason, everyone liked ‘em (well no one else submitted anything so I suppose I actually won by default). But I have to tell you that seeing other folks sporting copies of your work is really kind’a jarring.

A1-012.png

Yah… I know… Anyway, we had reservations on the 10:00 shuttle, so the crowd didn’t concern me at first. Also we had asked what the exact procedures for this process where before we arrived, and then again when we actually checked in and once more just for good measure first thing that morning. Every time, we got the same reassuring answer. “We have you on the reservation list, just make yourself comfortable and someone will call out you name when it time to board the shuttle”. This we did. After a bit a fellow with a clipboard in hand and a miniature megaphone did indeed start to inform everyone in the lobby that the shuttles were on the way and right after this one really big wedding part was taken care of, he’d be loading everyone else up.

We took this, as a bit of a signal to go on ahead and haul our gear out to the front of the building (just to make sure that we didn’t miss anything). It wasn’t long before the first shuttle showed up and the dude with the clipboard started calling out names. But ours didn’t come up. Hummm? I thought we were on the first bus heading out of Dodge. DW and I discussed this a bit and finally decided that I needed to head up there and check on the oversight. Now I don’t much like the idea of looking like an uneducated hick, but based on the info I had, things weren’t making since. So I swallowed what little pride I had and flagged down Mr. clipboard. He tells me that he’d been looking for us and had I checked in with him earlier, I’d have been on the first shuttle. Aaaarrrrrggg! I don’t ask for much in the world, but when I ask multiple folks to tell me what is expected, and I get the same answer, I don’t like for it to be the same wrong answer! But Mr. Clipboard said he’d get us on the next shuttle and he was as good as his word.

And away we go…

D4-107.jpg

Finally! We had arrived! I dropped a tip in the bucket for the driver and we hopped off the shuttle.

D4-108.jpg

11:00… Ehhhh, the ship wasn’t boarding for a while yet, so no harm done (and don’t ya’ just love the hands on the clock?) Once we were on the grounds the porters materialized quicker then grim grinning ghosts and started checking with everyone to be sure we all had our gear accounted for. No sooner then I said yup, then he told me he’d take it from here and we would not have to worry about any of the bags again (do remember to tip these fella’s a couple of bucks per bag as well, they really do good job). From here on out, we were officially: “Cruisers”, and I wouldn’t want for anything or have to worry about another detail for days.

A hop, skip and a jump from there, and finally I had a good look at our home for the next several Disney days.

D4-109.jpg

D4-110.jpg

D4-111.jpg

Better then a year of scheming, planning and saving was just about to pay off. I was about to board my third Disney ship. From there on I was sporting a very slight smile. I know it was there because I could feel a strain on some of the more rarely used mussels in my face. That subtle smile would be there for the next week. Outwardly you could not really tell just how excited I was.

But on the inside…

A1-012-1.gif

so a true “shuttle launch” is a site we won’t be seeing in the future. Too bad…
:sad2:

Catching a lift on the bigger one would be… shall we say… “exciting” for any passenger (to say the least), but even this humble mode of conveyance can offer excitement (depending on the destination involved).
Well, excitement comes in many forms... so I guess this would be a true statement.:lmao::rotfl2:

Stay!… Good car.
Wow!:eek: How long did it take to train it to do that? :confused3

THAT’S’ HER!
I'll take your word for it.:confused3 I'll have to check out the pictures that go with these words from home.:headache:

I submitted them and for some odd reason, everyone liked ‘em (well no one else submitted anything so I suppose I actually won by default). But I have to tell you that seeing other folks sporting copies of your work is really kind’a jarring.
Again, I'm not sure what it looks like, but I'm sure you did a great job. :thumbsup2
That would be a bit humbling to see someone you don't know wearing a shirt with something you designed on it.
Speaking of which, are you submitting a DIS Dads logo?:confused3

“We have you on the reservation list, just make yourself comfortable and someone will call out you name when it time to board the shuttle”
:thumbsup2 That sounds easy enough.

the first shuttle showed up and the dude with the clipboard started calling out names. But ours didn’t come up. Hummm?
:confused:

So I swallowed what little pride I had and flagged down Mr. clipboard. He tells me that he’d been looking for us and had I checked in with him earlier, I’d have been on the first shuttle. Aaaarrrrrggg! I don’t ask for much in the world, but when I ask multiple folks to tell me what is expected, and I get the same answer, I don’t like for it to be the same wrong answer!
:headache: :mad:

But Mr. Clipboard said he’d get us on the next shuttle and he was as good as his word.
So, what we have established is that if you stay at the Radison the night before you board a cruise out of Port Canaveral, nobody except for the guy with the clipboard knows anything.:thumbsup2

I dropped a tip in the bucket for the driver and we hopped off the shuttle.

(do remember to tip these fella’s a couple of bucks per bag as well, they really do good job).
Just out of curiosity... how much does a cruise tend to cost in tips?

From here on out, we were officially: “Cruisers”, and I wouldn’t want for anything or have to worry about another detail for days.
That would be quite relaxing... which I'm sure is kind of the reason for going.:lmao:

There was sporting a very slight smile.
By slight smile, don't you mean you made the Cheshire Cat look grumpy?:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter