Experiment-627: A Caribbean Double with a Wilderness Chaser

Yah, but I’m so nutty about getting aboard any and every possible ship, that I’m jealous of y’all because I haven’t been on that river boat. How was the dinner and what else did you get to see and do during that trip? Enquiring minds want to know.
Well, I've actually done it twice.

DW and I went to Nashville once before we were married for just a quick visit on the way home from a trip to Gatlinburg with her parents. We toured a few places and she wanted to do the dinner cruise. We enjoyed it, but the food was nothing special.:confused3 We boarded near the Opry and cruised to downtown Nashville while we ate and then stepped outside to enjoy the city from the vantage point of the river. The return trip was a variety show that I'd say was comparable to Hee Haw but with a bigger focus on the music than the comedy. Well worth doing it once, but it isn't something I'd put as a top priority to experience again, nor would I beat myself up had I never done it.:confused3

My second time was when I was in Nashville for a work conference. There was a group of about 12 of us who were close to the same age and even though most of us only saw one another 1 week each year, we always got along well and had a great time together. I had a choice that evening between going to the Grand Ole Opry with some other co-workers, or doing the dinner cruise with the usual suspects. It really was a tough call, but I went for the cruise. It was a good time though, we actually boarded the boat an hour or 2 early and got a table on the top deck near the bar and got to hear a band play before the cruise. The food and the cruise itself was much the same as my first time, but we had a table up front by the stage so the show was a bit more entertaining. Think a dozen twenty somethings with a little bit of alcohol and performers who enjoy crowd interaction. :rotfl2::lmao: The show that night was impersonators, including Elvis, Tina Turner and Elton John. The show was great, but Elvis looked like he was going to have a heart attack there on the stage.:scared1: There were other performers too, but I can't remember for the life of me who they were. I just remember Elvis because he was a little bit.... off:confused3, while Tina and Elton really stood out because they were absolutely phenomenal.

And of course, anytime I can get to Nashville, bar hopping along Broadway is a must. :thumbsup2 I just can't get enough of the live music in the Nashville bars. Usually the bar hopping part ends once I hit The Stage or Tootsies and they've got really good performer on stage.

I tried to keep it short, but you asked, so I answered. :rotfl:

I think I've included random thoughts for far more random reasons than that. And it was a cool story! :thumbsup2

Thanks. Having survived my last TR, you’re already aware that I’m very good at going off in a random direction. But… sooner or later, I’ll always get bact around to Disney within a post or two.

I really, really appreciate Disney for maintaining Walt's focus on creating places the entire family can enjoy. I think that's truly what's missing from all of their competitors. They're worried about demographics.

Can’t agree more. The idea of families being entertained together was the basses for Disneyland in the first place, so it is a true tribute to Walt that the company stays true to that vision.

Interesting. We did one cruise on the Wonder, and felt like it was just enough time. We felt like we'd seen everything on the ship at that point and were ready for something different. Maybe if we'd had more stops...

...like Castaway Cay... :thumbsup2

Can't wait to see the Dream!

It just went by so fast for us on that first cruise. Even when we were on the Magic, there were still a lot of things that we had to pick and choose over and stuff that would have been fun, but we just couldn’t get to. Of course there is also the fact that I just love to be aboard a ship. I really don’t care where it’s going (or even if it’s going for that matter). Whether I’m sitting on a row boat, or walking on the deck of a leviathan, I actually notice that I just can’t stop smiling.

Yah! History lessons in a Trip Report. (I know it's hard to tell based on the text, but there was no sarcasm there at all. I'm a history nerd)

:wave2:

History is high on my list-o-nerd characteristics. I had to work really hard not to blow that last post up into a full dissertation on the construction and operations of all the ships I was discussing. Between my love of things historical, and my proven ability to go off subject, you’ll likely be seeing a fair amount of it show up in this thread.

Actually most of the “Bonus Features” from my previous TR are historically based. Things like:

Bonus Feature 2: Canebrake Point
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41452661&postcount=112

Bonus Feature 5: The Origins of Corps
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41843328&postcount=175

And then there this one that is somewhere in-between history, horticulture, cuisine, and obsession.

Bonus Feature 3: “They Call Me: Ginger…”
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41543769&postcount=143

Where are the plaques that you have the pictures of? Are they on the ships?

Yes they are. You have to get aboard a ship to see the builder’s plaque (and the picture proves you were there). Generally they are placed in the open on a public deck and near the bridge. On the Magic and Wonder, there are attached to the superstructure forward on deck 10 (near the sports area). On the Dream it’s attached to the center forward radar dome on deck 12 (which doubles as a shaded seating area with a spectacular view looking off the bow).

And I noticed that the Dream's float out was Oct 30, 2010. Exactly a year before we get on! :woohoo:

Take me with you!!!!!! :sad:

I tried to keep it short, but you asked, so I answered. :rotfl:

I asked because I was interested. Thanks for the review. Sounds like something to keep at the top of mind when I get a chance to spend a bit of time in Nashville. :thumbsup2

Tagging along. Can't wait I loved your last TR.

:welcome:

And thanks! I'm glad to have you along for the latest installment of:
The Random Musings of an Unstable Disney Fanatic.

By the way: Y’all will love POFQ. It’s one of my favorite spots in “The World”

I'm jumping aboard this train. Looks like it's going to be a fun ride!

And I’m glad to have you along.

Oh yah… :welcome:

The emergency breaks on this old locomotive are a bit questionable, but I’m pretty sure there’s a hill on the other side of the valley that will slow us down enough to be able to jump off before the whole thing crashes at the end of the line.

:thumbsup2

Tangents are great btw! I'm luvin the stitch pics at the end of the posts.. Stitch is the coolest!

With me… tangents will come with the territory. There’s always one more bright shinny thing… SQUIRREL!!!!! …to distract me as I go about my day.

I rather like Stitch myself (and consider that particular Disney flick to be rather underrated by the general public). Since he inspired the name of this trip & TR (and I will be explaining why later on), I figured he’d be the best mascot for the journey.

The idea of ending each of official post of the TR with an image of our hero just happened by accident as I was writing up the first section. Now I’ve decided to try and find an image that either sums up that post, or punctuates the last little bit of it. Well see just how good I do on that front as the show progresses. Heck… y’all can be the judge of how well my choice works or not if you’d like to take on the challenge.

Good afternoon all! As a public service announcement I would like to offer up your “Subliminal Mickey” for the day.

FrozenMickey1.jpg

Drink up me ‘arties…

And just because I have again decided to roll the latest update on up to the top of the next page…

Here is one more bit of nonsense that most dads out there will find useful. Since collectively we spend a decent amount of time in this particular place, it seems only proper and fitting that we ought to spruce it up a bit. With that in mind… I now present:

The DisDad Doghouse 3000

Dog-Cave2.jpg

(all rights reserved)

Chapter 1: The Players

Part 3: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise…​

Y1-001.png

After cruising on the Magic in July of 2009, I was completely hooked. So much so that I actually booked another short three day Christmas time stint aboard the Wonder a mere few weeks after we got back home. But as I’ve said before, things change. We had several unanticipated obligations crop up that autumn.

online-bill-paying-1.jpg

Ultimately I was forced to see reality for what it was (cold, cruel and uncaring), and found myself canceling that particular trip. I would like to have gotten aboard the Wonder again before she transferred to the left coast, but it is also true that I really wanted to go on a longer sailing. That being said, I would have settled for any amount of time on any ship just about anywhere.

Well… probably not here:

cruise-ship-dismantled.jpg

Hay… I’m obsessed, not foolish.

Yet the idea of being involved with Disney in some fashion during the Christmas holidays stayed with me and was one of the driving forces behind out 2010 excursion to POR. Thoughts of cruising however would have to be shelved for a while. There just wasn’t any getting around it. Now was there?

Surprise #1

“I think I feel a change in the wind, says I.”

Y1-003.jpg

Well… Actually there was a slight change in the wind. About midway through 2010, the folks at Disney started to unveil the dates and itineraries for the Dream’s inaugural cruising season. Being fanatics we jumped on-line and took a look at what was being offered.

Y1-002.jpg

What we encountered got our scheming minds going pretty quickly. First of all DCL was planning to have a number of five day sailings. Believe me when I tell you that those extra couple of days make a difference. This was long enough to be worth our time and money. So we kept digging. The next thing we found was that there would be several of these longer cruises in late June. That was key. Due to current employment restrictions and school requirements, June is the only time we can travel for extended periods. Things were looking up. When we found that the cruise setting sail during the last week of June was also scheduled to visit Castaway Cay… TWICE… we were absolutely beside ourselves. We weren’t sure how we were going to be able to afford it, but we had better then a year to figure it out. The pertinent websites got accessed, and associated servers went into “hyper-active hyper-drive”, and in jig time, we’d booked a inside cabin on the July 26, 2011 sailing. We slapped the down payment on the “Disney Visa” (which gave me six month to pay off that off before interest would be applied) and crossed our fingers.

Surprise #2

franklin-pic.jpg

Then came the monitory change that made it nigh on to certain that we might just be able to make the trip. Tamara had been a stay at home mom for a few years now. There were a number of reasons for this choice, but the bottom line was that we were working solely on my income from a financial standpoint for a while. She had started looking to get back into the work force way back in 2009, but as y’all are surely aware, the job markets have been in a slight state of disrepair for the last few years.

toilet1.jpg

(Like I said…)

Well after a whole lot of looking and a whole lot of applying, she finally got a realistic hit toward the beginning of this year. A local country club offered her a part-time spot in the front office. Not exactly what she was hopping for, but nothing to be sneezed at. The up shot of this for our household was obvious. We now had extra Benjamins flowing into the coffers. If used wisely, these little portraits of one fine elder statesman might just take care of a lot of the gremlins that would otherwise prevent us from actually traveling on the Dream.

istock_000006518022xsmall.jpg

Surprise #3

This is the fun one. When we booked this adventure, we didn’t tell Max about it. Since we really weren’t sure that it was going to happen, it was just something he didn’t need to be worrying over. Like all teens, he had enough on his plate just trying to survive high school. Our initial plan was to surprise Max on his birthday (his 16th one by the way) and then head off only a couple of weeks afterward. We’d sail on the Dream then stay another couple of nights in Canaveral and maybe visit the Kennedy Space Center or spend some time on the beach before heading home. But… (and you knew there’d be a “but” didn’t ya’) …but, the folks at Disney tossed us another bone to chew on.

Y1-004.jpg

(Surprise 4?)

They started offering up substantial room only discounts at their resorts during the same time frame. :scratchin: Hummmmmm…. A good crunch of the numbers revealed that we could stay at a deluxe resort (which is normally out of the question) and it would only add about a hundred-ish bucks to our original bottom line. There’d be no way in heck that we could add park tickets on to this, but it still seemed like a good idea to the adults. The thing was, we didn’t know which version of the trip would suit Max the best. Since we need his input, the time had come for us to let him in on the secret.

Easter Sunday was chosen for the unveiling, and it took the form of a type of scavenger hunt. I took pictures of a number of random spots all over the house and printed them out. I then put a picture in each spot that pointed to the next spot. You follow this trail of tears… I mean clues… until you finally get to a box that would spill the beans. I actually tried to get this event on video, but the camera I had at the time was limited on the amount of space available. I succeeded in running out of said space just before Max got to the final pay off (and I can’t express just how disappointed this made Tamara) Even still, it was a lot of fun having the boy flying all over the house trying to figure out what was at the end of the trail. I did yank a couple of images out of the partial video for ya’ though…

Here’s where it started…
A2-020.jpg

…up the stairs and into the guest room…
A2-021.jpg

…back down the stairs…
A2-022.jpg

…hidden amongst the Disney DVDs
A2-023.jpg

…anyway you get the picture. When he got to the end of the rainbow he found a note from Mickey himself along with a paper model of the Disney Dream.

(This one right here)
IMG-0037.jpg

His first reaction was: “I thought we couldn’t afford to do this?” You see, he’d already asked us many times (and I do mean “many”) when we’d be cruising again. Our stock answer was: “as soon as we can make it happen”. When we told him that we’d finally figured out how to “make it happen”, he was pretty excited (well… as excited as a teenage boy will allow himself to be in front of his parents that is).

A1-004.png

The posts about the evolution of the Disney cruise line were very interesting. do you have pics from the original boats. It'd be neat to contrast the Big Red Boat to what Disney built for themselves. Also is there any chance you'll post comparison shots of things like animators pallete which at this point you've experienced multiple times on different boats?

Really enjoying everything, even the diversions so far.

Oh and the model of the dream is awesome.

The posts about the evolution of the Disney cruise line were very interesting. do you have pics from the original boats. It'd be neat to contrast the Big Red Boat to what Disney built for themselves. Also is there any chance you'll post comparison shots of things like animators pallete which at this point you've experienced multiple times on different boats?

Really enjoying everything, even the diversions so far.

Oh and the model of the dream is awesome.

He tasks me! He tasks me, and I shall have him!

PDVD_002.JPG

Wow. An excuse to go off topic!

First off… Thanks for the kind words Ryan.

Now then… Actually the “Ocianic” pictured at the top of the history post is the original “Big Red Boat”. At the time she was being operated by the Premier Line along with a couple of other ships. The red hull was the standard livery for all the liners that they were operating. After a while Premier began to acquire additional ships and then took to renaming those vessels “Big Red Boat #2”, “Big Red Boat #3” and so on. But after that the tale gets a little less rosy. I don’t have access to any pictures of the interiors of the Premier ships (at this time, but I know right where to start looking). I can talk about the other ships in the group though and since I love to talk about ships, I’ll get started on that particular “Bonus Feature” and put it up when I get it sorted out. (just remember… this is going to be your fault for giving me the opening)

Now as for contrasting and comparing between the ships of DCL... that I can also do and it sounds like a good idea. I will make a point of showing differences in the major spaces and talking about the sections that are unique as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lastly… that little paper model is really cool and you to can have one for your very own. I can’t get to it from work, but when I get home, I’ll throw up a download link just for y’all. Stay tuned…

That being said, I would have settled for any amount of time on any ship just about anywhere.

Well… probably not here:

cruise-ship-dismantled.jpg

How do you feel about the Titanic? :confused3

There just wasn’t any getting around it. Now was there?
Where there's a will, there's a way... not that I need to tell you that. :thumbsup2

Being fanatics we jumped on-line and took a look at what was being offered.
I think that's a contagious disease that the DDC is turning into an epidemic.

When we found that the cruise setting sail during the last week of June was also scheduled to visit Castaway Cay… TWICE… we were absolutely beside ourselves.
That is a huge score. I can just see us finally sucking it up and deciding to go for a cruise only to have Castaway Cay day be bad weather or worse yet, a situation in which we couldn't even stop there. See... I really have given serious thoughts to the idea of a Disney Cruise. :lmao::rotfl2:

Our stock answer was: “as soon as we can make it happen”.
Why that isn't even the least bit vague. :lmao:

How do you feel about the Titanic? :confused3

You make a good point. I probably should have clarified that sentence just a smidgen farther and written:

“That being said, I would have settled for any amount of time on any ship just about anywhere there happened to be a breathable atmosphere

But truth be told… I would r-e-a-l-l-y liked to have been working for Robert Ballard when his crew actually found that wreck. Especially as they had also secretly dived on the wrecks of the USS Thresher and the USS Scorpion for the Navy prior to hunting down the Titanic.

Where there's a will, there's a way... not that I need to tell you that. :thumbsup2

This time anyway.

I think that's a contagious disease that the DDC is turning into an epidemic.

I concur with you diagnosis.

That is a huge score. I can just see us finally sucking it up and deciding to go for a cruise only to have Castaway Cay day be bad weather or worse yet, a situation in which we couldn't even stop there. See... I really have given serious thoughts to the idea of a Disney Cruise. :lmao::rotfl2:

And that can happen. Not often, but it is possible. Trust me, I learned about it first hand on one of my prior cruises. That actually constitutes a bit of a spoiler to the greater story, but suffice it to say, I’ll touch on that exact subject latter on.

(By the way, even when we missed a CC opportunity back then, we still had such a great time, that we had to go back.)
:boat:

Why that isn't even the least bit vague. :lmao:

:ssst: We're still using that one.

Bonus Feature 2:

Paper Dream

Hear yee… Hear yee…

towncrier3as.jpg

If you are interested in having you very own paper model of a Disney Cruise Line ship…

(Like this one here)

IMG-0037.jpg

…then simply click on the link below and download a PDF file containing the design and instructions. If you print it on heavier grade paper or card stock, it will be easier to work with, but the design actually comes together pretty well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jr7xcurdv78kvfg

Have fun! :thumbsup2

Bonus Feature 2: Paper Dream

Hear yee… Hear yee…

towncrier3as.jpg

If you are interested in having you very own paper model of a Disney Cruise Line ship…

(Like this one here)

IMG-0037.jpg

…then simply click on the link below and download a PDF file containing the design and instructions. If you print it on heavier grade paper or card stock, it will be easier to work with, but the design actually comes together pretty well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jr7xcurdv78kvfg

Have fun! :thumbsup2

Thanks for posting this. It'll be an awesome project for this weekend. You may be the first person to include a make your own Fish Extender for the people reading your trip report

This looks to be a lot of fun...subbingpopcorn::

:welcome:

Hay another victim… I mean follower. Glad to have you along! :thumbsup2

I’ll try to put up the next couple of pieces to this puzzle either this evening or tomorrow. I see that y’all are heading off on the Dream soon as well… very cool! I’ll try to get into the actual cruise part of this extravaganza by the end of next week or soon there after. Just maybe a few of my mistakes will supply y’all with some pointers as to what ought not be done while cruising. Even if not, I do believe that you’re going to have the time of your lives.

Chapter 2: The Set-Up

Part 1: Getting To Know You​

Now that everyone was onboard with the plan, we could discuss the possibilities. Park tickets after the cruise weren’t happing (no matter how much I tried to talk myself into it). So the question became: can you keep yourself entertained at Disney without going to a park?

Y1-005.gif

Silly question… of course you can, and the prospect of staying at a deluxe resort was an added bonus. After a bit of discussion and a bit more rummaging around the WDW web sites, we decided to take advantage of a 40% discount on rooms at Wilderness Lodge and stay there for a couple of days before heading back home. We booked a “Standard View” room (which is a bit of a gamble) and made only one ADR for breakfast at the Kona Café on the second morning of the stay. The rest of the details would come under the heading of “spontaneous improvisation”. Now we just had to wait for the end of June to arrive.

Well… Actually, that ain’t quite true. As experienced DCL cruisers, we already knew that there were other “things” that one can get into to help pass the time. Over the years members of the DisBoards have built up a number of rather odd traditions in relation to cruising. Odd? Well… the other passengers think we’re nuts, so I believe “odd” may best describe the goings on. The first of these is “The Meet”. Really this is just what we do all the time around here. It’s kind’a like a never-ending cyber cocktail party where we just mingle and converse.

Y1-006.jpg

I headed over to the “Cruise-Meet” forum and looked to see if anyone had set up a thread for our specific sailing. Someone had (better then a year ago in fact). So I subscribed and introduced myself. Now I was part of the club and received official salutations form the rest of the group. The chatter on the average cruise-meet thread revolves around questions from the noobies, discussions about potential on-shore excursions and a general bemoaning of the glacial pace of time that was keeping us all off the ship.

Y1-008.jpg

After a bit of reading and posting you get to know a fair amount about the other groups that you’ll be sailing with. Often, different folks will strike up friendships and often spend a lot of time together on the actual cruise. It’s also a good place for the teens to get to know one and other before hand. For some of them actually seeing each other once they get on board is almost like catching up with a long lost friend.

Now… were this an episode of Glee… it’s right about here that there’d be a spontaneous flash-mob type performance of “Getting To Know You” from “The King and I” with fully rehearsed flawless choreography and all the students, teachers and even the janitor already knowing all the words and moves… but fortunately for you… and most defiantly fortunately for me… this ain’t Glee… and thank God for that… so we now return you to our regularly scheduled program.
:happytv:

There are two other uniquely “DIS” things that go on during a DCL cruise.

The first is a bit of madness known as a “Fish-Extender Exchange” or “F/E” for short. For the uninitiated, this takes a bit of explaining. So much so that I think it really deserves its own post, so I’ll hold off for just a bit and talk about this in more nauseating detail down in the next part of this chapter (so stay tuned… or not… your choice).

The second one is a bit easier to understand (concept wise that is… no one really understands why we do it, but the concept is pretty simple). As I was saying… some members of this here board have been known to decorate their cabin doors with variously themed and personalized magnets. Some of these apparitions are quite elaborate. There is also an entire community of folks that will help design and create them for you and all you have to do is ask. Actually, I am one of those fools… I mean folks… that will do such work for others. I’m not one of the main designers mind you, but I’ve done a bit of work for a few members and I generally do my own designs for our cabin as well. I like playing around with images so once I discovered this subculture, I dove right in. Actually… ”dove in” might be an understatement. Here are just a few examples from prior cruises (some were for our us, some for others).

-- Just click on the individual images to see ‘em in full size --

Everyone has their own way of playing this reindeer game. Some will display a few well-chosen images, while others will cover their doors top to bottom with whatever that can get their hands on. I generally manage to make so many designs that I can’t fit them onto the door. As such, I end up changing them out each morning so our stateroom has a different look for each day of the sailing. Being as that is the case, I think that I’ll start off each chapter for the actual voyage with a shot of the door and close-ups of the major magnets that showed up that day. Feel free to disregard them once they start making their appearances, but I‘ll be posting them either way so…

Y1-007.jpg

…consider this just a friendly warning.

Between these generally unnecessary activities and the normal packing, planning, and general research, the time actually passed relatively quickly. Once school was out, the clock really started moving. Before we knew it, we were down to the last couple of prep days. We’d soon be meeting our new friends and settling into a temporary life of leisure and luxury (if only it wouldn’t have to end).

A1-005.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter